Hanging and Poker Before Dusk

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Jer
LRR Crew

Hanging and Poker Before Dusk

Postby Jer » 31 Jan 2009, 22:37

Podcast posed. Go. I'm not entirely sure how to link this to the podcast itself, but I trust someone else will do it.
sevey

Postby sevey » 31 Jan 2009, 22:44

Great podcast guys, it was truly epic. And watch out it's a 78 meg mp3.
Last edited by sevey on 31 Jan 2009, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
WaffleIronMan wrote:They all look the same in the dark...unless they're fat
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 31 Jan 2009, 22:46

Just need to finish up catching up on Ask and Alex, then I'll get on this.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 31 Jan 2009, 22:55

sevey wrote:Great podcast guys, it was truly epic. And watch out it's a 78 meg mp3.

I call shenanigans: it hasn't been up long enough for you to have listened to all of it ;).

Note that 78 mb for an hour and thirty-eight minutes is not half bad ;).
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 31 Jan 2009, 23:02

Jer wrote:I call shenanigans: it hasn't been up long enough for you to have listened to all of it ;).

Ditto... I just happened to refresh when it appeared, and have been listening since... and I'm about a third of the way through.

Also, did I just notice a bus go across your avi, or am I losing it?
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 31 Jan 2009, 23:43

The Bro Code is a book based on the character of Barney on CBS' How I Met Your Mother. I bought it to read. It's pretty fucking rediculous.
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 01 Feb 2009, 00:01

^ There's also a facebook group... it costs less than the book since it's, well, free.
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Feb 2009, 00:09

I watched the vid again, and the only questionable continuity is James's hands at one points suddenly go to his pockets when it goes to the first wide shot. Other than that, I see no problem.

EDIT: Finished the podcast, it is truly epic, now I need to go to sleep since I need to get up in 4 hours.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 01 Feb 2009, 01:34

Hey Paul just so you know, I have clocked about 100 hours on Okami and I STILL have not beaten the game. Part of that time is me just leaving the system on though because I don't want to just save and turn it off if I'm only gonna be away for half an hour or so.

Master Gunner wrote:I watched the vid again, and the only questionable continuity is James's hands at one points suddenly go to his pockets when it goes to the first wide shot. Other than that, I see no problem.

EDIT: Finished the podcast, it is truly epic, now I need to go to sleep since I need to get up in 4 hours.

at one point he has glasses on and at one point he doesn't
If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
Blindrift98

Postby Blindrift98 » 01 Feb 2009, 01:52

The subject of phobias was really cool. And it is funny to hear about the fear of needles that some you had that I use to share for similar reason until I passed out one day and went to the ER and had a crap ton of blood drawn for tests and got rid of my fear real quick. And the truth behind the inspiration of the truce. This may be my favorite LRRcast.
What would happen if the Juggernaut at speed collided with the Blob?
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 01 Feb 2009, 03:07

To give you an idea as to how bad my belonephobia (fear of needles) is, I had a minor panic attack listening to your needles stories.

And im not kidding.

I have had violent black out's regarding needles.

I had a pediatric dentist tell me at 18 that he was no longer comfortable working with me.

I am usually given Valium just to get a shot.

Yet tattoo and piercing needles im totally fine with.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 01 Feb 2009, 04:04

You have no idea how thrilled I was to hear about the whole Dumbo thing: I always had to fast forward through Pink Elephants on Parade: it freaked me the crap out. Later in life, when I started to drink, I was kind of relieved and disappointed to find out that you don't hallucinate.

Excellent podcast. I say more super-long podcasts where you allow yourselves to get off topic...
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Exachix
First Video: The Shavening

Postby Exachix » 01 Feb 2009, 04:17

Master Gunner wrote:I watched the vid again, and the only questionable continuity is James's hands at one points suddenly go to his pockets when it goes to the first wide shot. Other than that, I see no problem.

I found that there's the shot of Jer dealing chips to [Bill], and then it zooms out and he deals, and on the zoomed out shot, he has his glasses on.

Also; when looking at Elway, you can see Jer has his hands together, whereas when looking at [Bill] you see he is holding cards.

After the flaps, Jer has glasses on. Prior to this he doesn't.

Jer's Glasses; Breaking continuity since before they existed.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 01 Feb 2009, 05:54

I've really enjoyed my time at LRR, but after that stub of the japenese Ring, coupled with Graham's comments on Arcade Fire, I just can't follow you guys anymore. Farewell.
Bob The Magic Camel

Postby Bob The Magic Camel » 01 Feb 2009, 08:16

You asked about the correlation between dentists and serial killers: a few slips of the drill.
This signature has been intentionally left blank.

No marks will be awarded for solutions written on this signature.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 01 Feb 2009, 08:23

I'm taking the head on the ruleset for Viking Secret Wildcard Poker.

Give me a little bit to set up the core of the game, and then go to the wiki page and start contributing new rules!

http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/index.p ... card_Poker

Note: All rule submissions are welcomed, but if the rule submission contravenes one of the Rules on Making Rules, it will be rejected.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Feb 2009, 09:03

On needles, I've been told that it's freaky just I am with them. For whatever reason, I've never found them bothersome, the nurse/doctor sticks it in, they do their thing, and they pull it out. Stings a little, but not a lot. But what really gets people for some reason is how I always look right at the needle while they do it, often while carrying on a conversation, and for some reason me been perfectly fine doing that bothers other people.

Since I learned that, I've started doing Rubiks cubes as well, often with the same arm, in addition to whatever else I'm doing while getting blood drawn or whatever.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Feb 2009, 09:24

I believe a fear of needles is called Iatophobia or somesuch, and it's apparently genetic in nature, because my father and my paternal grandfather both have it, as do I.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Feb 2009, 12:18

Emperor Gum wrote:I've really enjoyed my time at LRR, but after that stub of the japenese Ring, coupled with Graham's comments on Arcade Fire, I just can't follow you guys anymore. Farewell.

Haha, people have left us for less! :D

In my defense, I've never seen Ringu OR The Ring.
But everyone we've talked to agrees that The Ring is better. We did say it's a weird discrepancy to the normal way of things. Hey! I liked The Eye better in the original!
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 01 Feb 2009, 12:20

Wow, I didn't expect to take up all of AskLRR... it seems kinda inappropriate now that I felt the need to edit my post and point out how long the question queue is getting. Nevertheless, that was a mighty LRRcast indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAS_syndrome
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Geoff
First Video: Probably the first one.

Postby Geoff » 01 Feb 2009, 12:30

Emperor Gum wrote:I've really enjoyed my time at LRR, but after that stub of the japenese Ring, coupled with Graham's comments on Arcade Fire, I just can't follow you guys anymore. Farewell.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Ringu, I just prefer the North American version to it. I'm as surprised as you are! Strange, considering I've hated everything else Gore Verbinski directed.
"Hahahaha...you think this is the real Quaid?...........IT IS!"

http://www.myspace.com/geoffhowe
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Feb 2009, 12:32

Graham wrote:

Haha, people have left us for less! :D

In my defense, I've never seen Ringu OR The Ring.
But everyone we've talked to agrees that The Ring is better. We did say it's a weird discrepancy to the normal way of things. Hey! I liked The Eye better in the original!
I don't think there's been an American conversion of a Japanese horror film in recent history (Ie. the 90s forwards). I have both The Rings and I have all three Ringus and prefer the latter over the former almost universally, I certainly consider The Ring to be a fair film, but The Ring 2 sucked.

I've also seen The Grudge and Ju On and consider the latter better, replacing the protagonist with a Westerner in the same setting doesn't work for me.

The Eye is an interesting counter, I don't consider either film better or worse than the other, Alba did a very good job.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Lacerta
Affable Marmot
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Lacerta » 01 Feb 2009, 12:32

The Elder Dragon Legend you're missing is Nicol Bolas. God, I haven't played Magic since like Homelands, I can't believe I remember that.
semper fidelis tyrannosaurus
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Feb 2009, 13:13

Okay, I just looked it up and found what I believe is the insect Graham was referring to, the Asian giant hornet.

Stinger is 6mm long, one human victim described being stung as "like a hot nail being driven into my leg".

Allergic people may die from being stung, but non-allergics can die from the neurotoxin it contains if given a large enough dose.

Worse yet, one of the chemicals in the toxin angrily attracts other hornets, and the enzyme is so strong it dissolves human flesh.

They kill about 20-40 people each year in Japan.
Last edited by Lyinginbedmon on 02 Feb 2009, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Re'ozul

Postby Re'ozul » 01 Feb 2009, 13:23

First off, that is one giant hornet.

Also, The rules will probably come out like the ones for the Numberwang boardgame. (here)

I also have to say that I like Wordwang better than Numberwang.

Return to “LRRcast”