LRRcast for cHustle 05 - Street

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Feb 2009, 20:04

If you go with more manly=more women, then it can make sense. I've known gay guys that are far more manly than plenty of straight guys (such as a lot of the douchebags I've known, which gays can be far more manly than simply by not been douchebags, since douchebaggery is the antithesis of manliness).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Interruptor Jones

In which logic weeps in a corner.

Postby Interruptor Jones » 28 Feb 2009, 20:31

Since manly men tend to congregate in order to celebrate their manliness, and in fact prefer to associate with men in these instances rather than chicks, (which is to say, allotting a span of time in which no females will interact with them, ie football night/hunting trip/Warhammer love-ins), I posit that not only does manliness reduce one's chances of getting said chicks, but that it also increases one's likelihood of spending time with manly men. Make of this what you will.

I can't speak for everyone, but it's possible that women express attraction to gay men because it's far less likely that doing so will invite said gay man to follow you in his car and leave you disturbing text messages. Not to mention the proven fact that watching two guys make out is pretty hot.

Hey, if the manly hordes adopted this technique, we could solve a lot of issues in one fell swoop.

There is no 'm' in 'sexy'.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 28 Feb 2009, 21:19

The problem, Jones, is that it is not manly to like other men. Not to say that gay men can't be manly, only that their attraction to other men detracts from their manliness, and the ones who are manly are so in spite of their attraction to men, not because of it.

Attraction to women is manly, as is being attractive to women. I don't think there'll be any argument here.

Your point that gay men don't intimidate women the way straight men do because they don't look at women as potential sex partners is a valid one which I often overlook, though.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 28 Feb 2009, 21:33

Yukikaze wrote:it is not manly to like other men

We may have to agree to disagree on that. I'm curious as to whether manliness is determined by men or women, though. Truly it is the men who must live it; but conversely it is women who are confronted with it, to varying effect. Do the manly judge amongst themselves? Or do the ladies decide what works, and what is just kind of embarrassing to watch? Seriously, I'm looking for answers here because it's just not my field of study.

Yukikaze wrote:Attraction to women is manly, as is being attractive to women.

Yeah, I think that's pretty solid. One of the main foundations of manliness, perhaps?

Doctor Insanovic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Doctor Insanovic » 28 Feb 2009, 21:51

I see it differently. The way I see it is, contrary to popular belief, manliness has no real direct link to prowess with women, and said prowess is actually dependant on a completely seperate, and as yet unknown factor or factors. One can be manly and attractive to women, and one can be unmanly and just as attractive to women.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 28 Feb 2009, 22:00

Doctor Insanovic wrote:facts

Does this mean I can't convince you guys to make out with each other?

Damn.

Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 28 Feb 2009, 22:01

Interruptor Jones wrote:Does this mean I can't convince you guys to make out with each other?

Damn.

You could try, I suppose. Can't exactly guarantee results though....in fact, I don't know any guys - gay or strait that'd do that upon request.

You must have a very starved fetish. :P
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Doctor Insanovic

Postby Doctor Insanovic » 28 Feb 2009, 22:04

Furthermore, being the scientist that I am, I propose a formula:

M=(Ld+f)^R

Where:
M represents Manliness
L represent Largiliness
d represents Denseliness
f represents Facial hair
And R represents Risk to health.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 28 Feb 2009, 22:23

Unlucky wrote:
Interruptor Jones wrote:Does this mean I can't convince you guys to make out with each other?

Damn.

You could try, I suppose. Can't exactly guarantee results though....in fact, I don't know any guys - gay or strait that'd do that upon request.

You must have a very starved fetish. :P

Hey, it was worth a shot, right? :D I'll continue to debate the definition of manliness despite the shortage of dudes making out, such is my dedication to science.

Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 28 Feb 2009, 22:30

Doctor Insanovic wrote:Furthermore, being the scientist that I am, I propose a formula:

M=(Ld+f)^R

Where:
M represents Manliness
L represent Largiliness
d represents Denseliness
f represents Facial hair

I may not understand quadratic equations anymore, but I'm still quite impressed. This seems to include all the key manly qualities, although I'd like to know how back hair is going to be factored into the calculations.
Last edited by Interruptor Jones on 28 Feb 2009, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Feb 2009, 22:43

I must agree with Doctor Insanovic's assertion that Manliness is, at the very least, not necessarily in direct proportion to prowess. However, on the upper ends of manliness, there certainly is some correlation between the two. Perhaps it is part of a coefficient in the equation for prowess, that increases slowly at low values (such as e^0.0008M, where M=manliness, the equation increases fairly slowly until the vicinity of 9000).

Doctor Insanovic's equation I must wholeheartedly support.

And manliness is most certainly judged by other men.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 28 Feb 2009, 23:21

Master Gunner wrote:...on the upper ends of manliness, there certainly is some correlation between the two

What kind of person would fit this criteria? If we're talking movie star or sports champ, might not their fame also be a factor in their social prowess? Popularity, independent of personality attributes, is a huge draw for certain people, and does not necessarily increase the inherent manliness of the subject.

Doctor Insanovic

Postby Doctor Insanovic » 28 Feb 2009, 23:45

Interruptor Jones wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:...on the upper ends of manliness, there certainly is some correlation between the two

What kind of person would fit this criteria? If we're talking movie star or sports champ, might not their fame also be a factor in their social prowess? Popularity, independent of personality attributes, is a huge draw for certain people, and does not necessarily increase the inherent manliness of the subject.

Answer: Sean Connery
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 28 Feb 2009, 23:47

Doctor Insanovic wrote:Answer: Sean Connery

/Thread.
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 28 Feb 2009, 23:52

Doctor Insanovic wrote:Answer: Sean Connery

/sigged.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 01 Mar 2009, 00:30

Doctor Insanovic wrote:
Interruptor Jones wrote:

Answer: Sean Connery

Touche.

Telaril

Postby Telaril » 01 Mar 2009, 01:02

Grats to the winner! I was pretty sure you had everyone beat the first time I saw your post.

Just a note to the LRR crew. You mentioned the "prop bling" someone created. I'd guess it was cut out of cardboard, foam, wood, or clay and then spraypainted/handpainted gold. I'm actually kinda surprised you don't use that technique... on stage and most film, gold paint reads as gold pretty darn well, especially in small amounts (jewelry, etc). There are actually some cases, especially on stage, where a gold spraypainted thing will read as gold BETTER than an actual gold thing.

Also, to clarify a point, I am all three people in the post I posted earlier. I... didn't have anyone to join me in my schemes, so I just made three costumes anyway. And I used to cosplay, so I have a modest collection of wigs.

>_>
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Mar 2009, 01:05

Telaril wrote:Also, to clarify a point, I am all three people in the post I posted earlier. I... didn't have anyone to join me in my schemes, so I just made three costumes anyway. And I used to cosplay, so I have a modest collection of wigs.

Oh SNAP. We just got told.

Holy shit. Sorry, I guess I didn't read the post well enough.

Good job!!
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 01 Mar 2009, 01:30

Graham wrote:
Telaril wrote:Also, to clarify a point, I am all three people in the post I posted earlier. I... didn't have anyone to join me in my schemes, so I just made three costumes anyway. And I used to cosplay, so I have a modest collection of wigs.

Oh SNAP. We just got told.

Holy shit. Sorry, I guess I didn't read the post well enough.

Good job!!

Oh! Also!

In order to explain to my friend the cameraman what I was doing, I made him watch all of commodore hustle in a row. Tonight, when going to bed, he told me he'd definitely go and watch more LRR when he gets home.

This is the first strong convert so far among my friends. So... even though I didn't "win," I won in that I will finally have someone to talk to about the site.
Doctor Insanovic

Postby Doctor Insanovic » 01 Mar 2009, 02:15

We finally have a winner! Magnets and AC motors for all!
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 01 Mar 2009, 21:43

Doctor Insanovic wrote:Furthermore, being the scientist that I am, I propose a formula:

M=(Ld+f)^R

Where:
M represents Manliness
L represent Largiliness
d represents Denseliness
f represents Facial hair

This sounds like a pretty good formula.

Of note, Risk to health is largely considered manly because being able to survive a risk to health is tough, and manliness is definitely in proportion to toughlyness, which is why martial arts and sports, while not generally being a particular health risk, are still considered manly.
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 01 Mar 2009, 21:59

On the note of sex and manliness:

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but my two cents.

I don't think sex is a factor in manliness in that it's sex. However, sex is a form of conquest, which is quite manly.

This explains how manliness can be related to sex, without having any of the issues the above posters had been debating. It also avoids any detriments from things like homosexuality, etc.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 02 Mar 2009, 12:16

Loudliness is also a factor in manliness. Man, there's a lot more in this than you might think, huh? Rageliness too is involved, I think. The angrier and more agressive you are, the manlier you are.
Winning is also manly. So is gloating. What good is beating an opponent if you don't let them know about it as loudly and agressively as you can?

Oh, I just thought of an idea. *Runs to video suggestion thread*

Doctor Insanovic

Postby Doctor Insanovic » 02 Mar 2009, 12:26

The Jester wrote:Loudliness is also a factor in manliness. Man, there's a lot more in this than you might think, huh? Rageliness too is involved, I think. The angrier and more agressive you are, the manlier you are.
Winning is also manly. So is gloating. What good is beating an opponent if you don't let them know about it as loudly and agressively as you can?

Oh, I just thought of an idea. *Runs to video suggestion thread*

Then is an overly loud (but victorious) annoying little jockey also manly? So many questions to be answered in the name of science... btw, does anyone know what happens to a jockey in a microwave oven?
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Mar 2009, 12:57

With the hanging threads of the Runners founding and Geoff's evil scheming, I'm seriously excited to see episode six tonight.

I assume it'll be up soon, since by my reckoning it's almost 1 PM for the LRR Crew.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness

Return to “LRRcast”