LRRCast for commodoreHUSTLE 09

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Graham
Super Moderator

LRRCast for commodoreHUSTLE 09

Postby Graham » 10 Jun 2009, 00:27

Featuring an extra-long extra bonus, from Jer and Kelly.
Yay!
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Re: LRRCast for commodoreHUSTLE 09

Postby Genghis Ares » 10 Jun 2009, 00:29

Sweetness

wow almost 2 hours.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 10 Jun 2009, 01:01

In response to people saying that they felt Paul's character was different in this episode of commodoreHustle:

Having watched all the previous episodes back-to-back the other night during a particularly slow point in the evening, I can say that in the previous episodes Paul seemed a lot more pro-active than in this "Growl". He stole from Morgan, called his friends over to steal other stuff from Morgan, "improved" people's technology without asking them, etc. etc. In this episode he pretty much kept mostly to himself, not caring that all his other friends got angry at Graham and Kathleen, and blithely waving off his two remaining pals to "continue [they're] mating ritual." I can't remember him even talking to anyone besides Graham and Tim (not counting the shark LARPers).

Maybe I'm off the mark with what other people felt, but to me it just seemed like he suddenly became really passive. It was more evident in this episode that Paul was just a character playing to push along the bear/shark subplot, not as a person interacting in the world (I assume it's because both subplots involving the bear and the Runners' defecting were written by separate people), and when the two plots finally intertwine to form a conclusion, he has no real part in resolving anything, with Graham and to a lesser extent Kathleen being the driving force.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 10 Jun 2009, 01:25

I understand what you're saying, but just because he wasn't a driving force behind this particular plot doesn't change his character.
He shouldn't have had a part in resolving the Runners plot because that was an issue between the guys and Graham (which Graham wouldn't have been able to without Paul's bear suit).

Also, him "waving off" G&K was actually him being so into the Etch-a-Sketch that he doesn't see an issue with him sitting in on a couple's dinner.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 10 Jun 2009, 01:50

I thought Paul seemed like the same character this episode. The whole mini Etch-a-Sketch part just screamed CH Paul.

Also, I totally agree about Just Cause 2. Looks so stupid awesome fun.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 10 Jun 2009, 02:05

Graham wrote:I understand what you're saying, but just because he wasn't a driving force behind this particular plot doesn't change his character.

True, but the problem is that, compared to the other videos, his role among the group is somewhat diminished, and that has the side effect of making it seem like he's either not as important a player, or simply not as worried about what's going on around him. This, in turn, enforces a more passive type of personality onto him, even if it was the constraints of the plot and not anything he specifically did that made it seem so.

I should point out that when I first watched the episode when it went up last week, I didn't see anything different about Paul because it'd been awhile since I saw the other cH's. It wasn't until I watched episodes 1-8 back-to-back that his more assertive actions, such as stealing from Morgan while he was in a DOTA trance, seemed weird in comparison. But even though I'm making these observations, you shouldn't necessarily take it to mean that I think his slight character incongruity is a bad thing. Personally, I like "Switzerland" Paul better than the perceived Paul (Germany Paul, maybe? No, too aggressive. America Paul? Eh, it doesn't matter) in previous episodes anyway.

He shouldn't have had a part in resolving the Runners plot because that was an issue between the guys and Graham (which Graham wouldn't have been able to without Paul's bear suit).

Right, but as I said, it's the fact that he didn't really seem to have a place in the conclusion that was off. I thought the jokes that he was involved in during the resolution were funny, but as far as actually cleaning up the conflict goes, if he hadn't been in the scene at all, nothing would have changed.

EDIT: Unrelatedly, I just looked up some Just Cause 2 gameplay, having never heard of it. Holy shit that looks cool.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 10 Jun 2009, 02:49

I'd like to add that even though I have never played D&D, I still find the JerCast bonuses pretty interesting.
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 10 Jun 2009, 03:17

A panda bear IS a bear. It's a koala bear that isn't actually a bear.
Genghis Ares

Postby Genghis Ares » 10 Jun 2009, 03:26

According to wikipedia he is correct.
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 10 Jun 2009, 05:45

Good on Matt for playing Wind Waker.
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 10 Jun 2009, 07:37

Paul was totally in character, and totally awesome.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
ArmondoSC

Postby ArmondoSC » 10 Jun 2009, 07:47

Listening to the Jercast has given me a greater understanding, and respect, of LARPing. Really, it's just improv acting with rules. It has actually made me interested in looking up local larpers.

The good kind, that is. The respectable, non-foam armor wearing, kind.

Those other guys are just... silly...
Tacos?
goat

Postby goat » 10 Jun 2009, 09:44

I can't claim that I would've gotten the Roentgenium joke right off that bat, but I think it is funny as hell, and I'm a biochemist... so that kind of counts... right?
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 10 Jun 2009, 11:15

Oh, and even if Paul's apathy had been a little out of character, I believe it would be totally permissible according to the Rule of Funny.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Jun 2009, 11:32

While not a chemist, I've taken enough chemistry courses (and may minor in it) to get the Roentgenium jokes.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Avanshrike

Postby Avanshrike » 10 Jun 2009, 11:41

delete this post please
Last edited by Avanshrike on 24 Jun 2009, 14:27, edited 3 times in total.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 10 Jun 2009, 12:06

I would also like to say that I enjoyed the appended JerCast and if there are other non-regular members who would be willing to do them, it would make a nice occasional feature.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 10 Jun 2009, 12:31

I really enjoy the JerCasts so please may we have more of them. at the end very informative for those who don't know much about certain things. I'd like to hear more of things as how KeiKon had been started (Any local history or local gatherings). Kelly's impersonation of Matt with the Miata sales pitch was dead on.
And yay Bubblegum Crisis, it wasn't the good one but still woo.

Talking about Paul's character being different. For this episode he did seem a bit more out there than usual, maybe it has to do with this being a not-direct storyline with the main arc of hustle. I'm happy to know there will be a season 2 cH.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
TeamKill
First Video: CH s01e04

Postby TeamKill » 10 Jun 2009, 17:05

Matt mentioned that everyone who plays the Sims makes a copy of themselves.

When I was in highschool we had a friend named Josh, everyone hung out at his house, and of the four computers he had, there was this one crappy one that only played the Sims and Starcraft.

Over time everyone who hung out at this house used this computer and added themselves to the neighborhood. Then Mark played.

Mark made a character of himself and his brother in the same two storey house, the second floor was where Sim Mark lived, and the ground floor was where his brother was quickly trapped in a square of windows, where Mark would wake him every time he fell asleep.

My character was the first to visit and next to be boxxed, over the next hour or so every friend I had was slowly lured into the house and trapped in a box...we all died in our own urine.

the end
WAT
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 10 Jun 2009, 18:14

ArmondoSC wrote:Listening to the Jercast has given me a greater understanding, and respect, of LARPing. Really, it's just improv acting with rules.

Well, improv acting has strict rules, such as "when someone makes a decision, do not negate it." LARPing is improv acting with rule sets and methods for decision making. In other words, improv acting is different from LARPing in that the cause AND the effect are determined by the actor, whereas LARPing is cause-by-actor and effect by chance.
goat

Postby goat » 10 Jun 2009, 19:30

Look what I just stumbled:

http://www.macworld.com/article/55695/2 ... _halo.html

Small world... sort of.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Jun 2009, 19:40

Here's a video of him IN the combat suit, and at the end there's a few clips of the bear suit too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPS2l5fQ55A
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 10 Jun 2009, 21:17

So you DON'T think a cascade of water filled with lobsters descending through a mall would be neat to see?
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 11 Jun 2009, 04:57

Jer said, rather than wrote:Our standard modus operandi for making videos is like, "You be the police officer and... you be the pirate."

So we can expect a LRR performance of The Pirates Of Penzance sometime soon, then? :)
LS

Postby LS » 11 Jun 2009, 06:13

Extra long podcast is extra awesome. I really enjoyed this.
Fancy Morgan: the Matt lover.

Return to “LRRcast”