LRRcast for Buttstallation

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Re: LRRcast for Buttstallation

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Jul 2009, 06:03

Fortunately a lot of the better Wii games forsake the whole jumping around bit and use the motion control largely like an arcade game or even just a regular ol' wireless controller.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 01 Jul 2009, 07:00

On the subject of a web browser on 360.. I gotta say, I have my doubts that it will ever happen. It seems like a no brainer, but there's no way MS could incorporate a browser that isn't IE on 360 while still shoving IE down the throats of windows users and touting it's make-believe superiority.

If they implement IE on 360, the security holes and exploits would open the platform wide open overnight. Microsoft knows this. It's a catch-22 situation.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 01 Jul 2009, 09:44

Keith K wrote:On the subject of a web browser on 360.. I gotta say, I have my doubts that it will ever happen. It seems like a no brainer, but there's no way MS could incorporate a browser that isn't IE on 360 while still shoving IE down the throats of windows users and touting it's make-believe superiority.

If they implement IE on 360, the security holes and exploits would open the platform wide open overnight. Microsoft knows this. It's a catch-22 situation.

This would be true if any IE exploit used instruction code that had anything to do with the 360's hardware or software.

But they don't.

Your computer, my computer, and in fact most computers on the planet right now run hardware that understands x86 code. The 360 uses PowerPC-based hardware, and does not understand x86 code. You could load the ones and zeroes from Blaster on a 360 all day and exactly nothing would happen.

Furthermore, the Xbox does not run Windows, and any version of "Internet Explorer" that would be designed for the 360 would necessarily be radically different from the accepted build of IE.

The closest a 360 gets to anything that looks even slightly like a "normal" computer is the emulated environment for backwards compatibility.

Look, I'm not a huge MS fan but if you're going to put your tinfoil hat on, at least do some cursory research or apply a little common sense. This is pretty much why Windows viruses don't work on Macs: the expectations that the code makes on virtually every level (especially on older, non-x86 Macs) are wrong, so it fails to do anything whatsoever.
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 01 Jul 2009, 10:25

Lots of people code for 360. It doesn't need to be the same code as windows.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Jul 2009, 12:06

If they were to put their own web browser on the 360, it would likely be a stripped-down browser, redesigned from the ground up, and only loosely based on IE. Because of the standardized 360 hardware, that along with the relative simplicity of the program, will make it easier to secure. Same as on the Wii and it's Opera-derived browser.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 02 Jul 2009, 12:10

I think MS could do something a lot better with a browser on the 360 though. I don't really know what the Wii broswer is like, as I don't need internet on my Wii and would almost never use it. A 360 broswer though I can see myself using it a little.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Jul 2009, 12:58

Wii browser basically lets you use the wiimote like a mouse, has an address bar, a favourites button, a back button, and that's about it. I mainly use it to play flash games (there are a few sites out there dedicated to collecting/making wii-compatible flash games).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 02 Jul 2009, 19:23

Hey Paul, if you'd like I can dig up my old copy of Ico and throw it all the way to British Columbia.

Seriously, I have my old-ass copy that I'm not doing anything with.

EDIT: Might have to scratch that, actually...Can't seem to find it anywhere. It's probably been given away to Good Will as my family is wont to do with old games and toys, but I'll keep looking.

Return to “LRRcast”