LRRcast for Ways to Stay Awake

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Re: LRRcast for Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Jaebird » 29 Jul 2009, 09:49

Well, I managed to get this far on my attention span. Here's a 25 minute WIP of the awesome LRR Battle Cat:

If you can still see the circles in the back, they are going to be Kirby Dots as soon as I can get my attention on coloring it.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 29 Jul 2009, 11:26

Those pics are awesome! Please someone draw Bill and Nightcrawler battling Cythulu!
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 29 Jul 2009, 11:30

Emperor Gum wrote:Those pics are awesome! Please someone draw Bill and Nightcrawler battling Cythulu!

I'm on it! ...Tomorrow...after work...>_>

Edit: Holy crap; I got dejavu.

Stupid dejavu...so annoying...
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 29 Jul 2009, 12:50

Jaebird, I can't wait to see that coloured.

All three of the pictures have been just awesome!
TheTempestKing
Location: North Carolina. It does indeed suck as much as it is rumoured to.

Postby TheTempestKing » 29 Jul 2009, 15:36

.Secret8znMan. wrote:Holy Crap!

I tuned in to the LRR Cast to help me stay awake while I studied, it freaked me out when the opening bit was "Another way to stay awake, listen to the Loading Ready Run podcast.".
Haha, same here. I was doing summer work for a few of my classes and laughed to myself when that came on.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 29 Jul 2009, 21:11

Matt wrote:
mosespippy wrote:The DotA type game Jer was thinking of was probably League of Legends.

Edit as I'm listening: Matt clearly hasn't finished FFXII as it is Bashe's story, not Balthier's.

I have, and I see what you're saying. My comment was in reference to the fact that Balthier repeatedly states that he's the leading man in the story, (and frankly, he is). While the game puts more focus on the stories of characters that surround him, it's balthier that actually ties the other characters' stories together. He's the character around which the game is centred, even though it's not made to feel that way.

Saying FFXII is about Basch is like saying FFIX was about Vivi. He had an extremely important role in the game, but his plot was a secondary focus of the title.

-m

While i never played it, wasn't the main character Vaan because it was supposed to be Basch, but they felt that since Vagrant Story sold poorly it was because "no one liked having a strong man in his prime" as the lead, so they invented another half naked monkey-boy to prance around?
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 29 Jul 2009, 21:53

Oh my god! All those drawings are the more awesome things I've ever seen. Seriously, they are all super sweet. How can I choose a winner? Oh no.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Gamefanatic

Postby Gamefanatic » 30 Jul 2009, 03:06

I registered just to participate, huzzah!
Lots of great entries, but I'm still throwing mine in anyway.
Sarah
First Video: Sound Wars

Postby Sarah » 30 Jul 2009, 07:42

To drag the discussion away from kittehs for a moment (sorry Kathleen)...
Devil Survivor looks interesting, I'll probably buy it now. And some day I'll get around to playing that copy of FFXII I bought last summer. I was also playing FFTA2 when it was brought up in the podcast (I've lost so many hours to that game).

I've clearly been watching Dr Horrible too much, because the alarm clock discussion made me want to do a "the hammer is..." joke. :roll:

To be fair, I could infer that the next ISC was going to be energy drinks even without knowing it was shot the same day as Ways to Stay Awake. So...you didn't really give anything away this podcast?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 30 Jul 2009, 09:04

Cybren wrote:
Matt wrote:
mosespippy wrote:The DotA type game Jer was thinking of was probably League of Legends.

Edit as I'm listening: Matt clearly hasn't finished FFXII as it is Bashe's story, not Balthier's.

I have, and I see what you're saying. My comment was in reference to the fact that Balthier repeatedly states that he's the leading man in the story, (and frankly, he is). While the game puts more focus on the stories of characters that surround him, it's balthier that actually ties the other characters' stories together. He's the character around which the game is centred, even though it's not made to feel that way.

Saying FFXII is about Basch is like saying FFIX was about Vivi. He had an extremely important role in the game, but his plot was a secondary focus of the title.

-m

While i never played it, wasn't the main character Vaan because it was supposed to be Basch, but they felt that since Vagrant Story sold poorly it was because "no one liked having a strong man in his prime" as the lead, so they invented another half naked monkey-boy to prance around?

Sort of. The character you played as was Vaan, but his story is one of tagging along, and fulfilling his own destiny through the actions of the others around him. Vaan is the main character in that the story that the game focuses most singularly on is his, but his story is so heavily dependent on what everyone else is doing, (particularly baltheir) that I have to side with Balthier and agree that he's the leading man of the game. You basically play a support character.

I'm twisting things a bit, the game really is supposed to be about Vaan's story, and the line about Balthier being the leading man a bit of a joke, but Balthier makes a much more compelling main character, and without his role in the game, everyone else's stories fall completely apart. Everyone else in the game depends completely on his role in the game to be able to accomplish what they set out to do.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 30 Jul 2009, 09:27

Epic kitteh is epic.

On the subject of...
Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern: Maybe, but I'd prefer Nathan Fillion.
This is why http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hTiRnqnvDs

Firefly's inability to speak Chinese/Cantonese: I wholeheartedly agree that a culture of hicks mingled with Chinese wouldn't be able to speak Chinese correctly, because hicks can't pronounce ENGLISH properly. They speak a subset of the language called 'Muricun, which has no written variant and no grammar rules to speak of. I really wish these people would learn to read and do math before they speak to me at work. <sigh>Gorram smeghead rednecks...

Yes, I use smeg in everyday conversation.
And CTHULHU OWNS YOU, BOYO!
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 30 Jul 2009, 13:15

@Matt:
I remember hearing that one of the lead development guys really did not like Vaan and wanted Ashe to be the character the players play as.

Regardless I haven't played the game either, partly due to lack of Nobuo writing the music and partly due to Vaan. Also, from what I saw of the ending, it seemed the game kinda ends on an incomplete note.

*spoiler?*
Isn't the Villain (Vayne?) in league with some evil deity thing that the players never fight and never really plays out story wise?
VanHelsing23

Postby VanHelsing23 » 30 Jul 2009, 13:34

I have no artistic talent, unfortunately.

...Anyway, the "building destroying ray" and the "shoots dudes through walls gun" are two different weapons.
War is hell.
Hell is other people.
Therefore, War is other people.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 30 Jul 2009, 16:09

After my bizarre lemon picture, I think I'll leave the drawing to those who can, but I must say that those pictures are awesome.
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 30 Jul 2009, 16:46

Update... My hand is killing me from coloring in Photoshop >_o
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Jul 2009, 17:11

Re: Firefly and Chinese, as stated in the DVD special features, they tried to get the wording and pronunciation correct, but the problem was that the actors didn't speak Chinese like their characters could. While they were given tapes of their lines to try and learn the pronunciation, its far from an easy thing to do, resulting in a horrible mangling of the language that they fully admit to. Presumably if the show had gone on as long as everybody in the 'verse wanted it to go, they'd have gotten better at the pronunciation.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
curbee

Postby curbee » 30 Jul 2009, 19:07

@Kathleen I recently obtained Devil Survivor and I seem to be stuck on the Wendigo fight. Any tips? I wasn't sure how to really set up my stats so I ended up putting my stats everywhere. Will I have to restart and min/max the hell out of this game?

EDIT: How could I forget to add a battle cat to my post?
Number09
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Number09 » 30 Jul 2009, 23:29

Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 31 Jul 2009, 00:31

I can't believe no-one's made this joke yet:

So Graham, with the Sam Raimi alarm clock, you have to press the hammer to stop hammer time?

:P
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 31 Jul 2009, 02:11

Can we give Lying a time out?
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 31 Jul 2009, 07:02

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I can't believe no-one's made this joke yet:

So Graham, with the Sam Raimi alarm clock, you have to press the hammer to stop hammer time?

:P

Don't you mean STOP!...Hammer Time! ?
<begins to do the Hammer sideways shuffle>
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 31 Jul 2009, 09:02

Update (for real, this time):

Kirby Dotting with a pen is much easier and more rewarding than in Photoshop :D

Also like to add that I started a mock-up of Bill with Nightcrawler fighting Cthulhu. I'll be taking a break to go and get my comics that I missed out on from last week :)
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 31 Jul 2009, 09:05

Curbee: I play atlus games as a mage tank - basically I throw all my stats into Magic - I'm at level 45 right now, and my stats are 9 strength, 31 magic, 9 vitality and 12 agility. Basically, I walk up to any group of demons and slap them about until they die. Which is quickly.

I suggest you bulk up a few levels (level 15 or 16 should be fine) and throw all the points into magic. Bring some demons with good magic - at that point in the game, you could possibly have a Lilim, a well leveled Sarasvati, and a Thor. Don't bother with a Tlaloc - he's weak to ice and will die right away.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 31 Jul 2009, 09:06

Whoops. That's Kathleen. I'm logged in a Graham. Whee! Profile stealin.

I'm going to abuse Graham's GodMod powers for evil now.
LOL LOL LOL.

*vanishes in a puff of smoke*
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 31 Jul 2009, 10:27

Quick! Make Paul's post count zero!
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness

Return to “LRRcast”