LRRcast for Killer Instinct

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Tapeti

Re: LRRcast for Killer Instinct

Postby Tapeti » 10 Aug 2009, 10:42

ecocd wrote:The summons have me stumped as well. A game would need a fair number of them, but there aren’t a whole lot that I can think of.

You could pull one of those things where when you beat a boss or mimi boss you can then acquire it as a summon. Or something. I don't know.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 10 Aug 2009, 11:52

Tapeti wrote:
ecocd wrote:The summons have me stumped as well. A game would need a fair number of them, but there aren’t a whole lot that I can think of.

You could pull one of those things where when you beat a boss or mimi boss you can then acquire it as a summon. Or something. I don't know.

LoL. Only with the Special Summons, though. The Household Gods are normal Summons and the Special Summons, like Mr. Ballzmatron and Cardboardman need to be defeated before they can be summoned. That's a great idea.

$60 to license RPG Maker XV. Ugh. On the other hand, I do have aome birthday money burning a hole in my pocket (I'm 29 and I still get birthday money. I <3 my mom). There's a 30-day trial version.

Even with only one licensed copy of RPG Maker XV, it could still be quite collaborative. There would need to be frames pulled from videos for in-game sprites (assuming that would work). I'd bet there could be custom LRR sound files. And there still needs to be a script and events to be written. It would certainly be a lot less work if there were 3 people working on it (graphics, story, programming) than just 1. I'll have to try out the trial version of the software tomorrow night when I have some time to see if it's worthwhile

Actually, I think anyone can download a few sample games to see what the engine is capable of doing.

Of course, I just finally got Final Fantasy 7 working on my Windows XP PC. That may be soaking up my time...
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 10 Aug 2009, 12:15

Alternately, you could try to use the XNA framework and make a game of higher level, and not a 2D sprite one.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 10 Aug 2009, 12:22

Making a LRR based games has been tried before and did not get too far.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 10 Aug 2009, 12:28

I know. However...it can be done...it just takes focus...I have nothing to do for the rest of this month, and I would be more than willing to be of assistance...
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 10 Aug 2009, 12:30

Lord Chrusher wrote:Making a LRR based games has been tried before and did not get too far.

I mentioned I have a card game sitting on my PC so I have firsthand knowledge that games don't go anywhere. I do have 3 completed board games to my credit, 1 of which was actually fun!

Most people don't take jokes too far like myself (see Runners photos, Beatcycle challenge, Midwest cHustle viewing party, mWCMLG's photos). Plus, I've been looking for an excuse to get something like RPG Maker for years. I'm sure I'll use it just as much as I use Adobe Illustrator CS2. *blows dust off of manual*
Tapeti

Postby Tapeti » 10 Aug 2009, 12:35

We're being serious about this, right?

Lord Chrusher wrote:Making a LRR based games has been tried before and did not get too far.

Well, it's possible to make one. There just needs to be a thorough yet believable storyline, reasonable enemies and npcs and such, and a playable format. It doesn't sound too hard.

@ ecocd: You're talking about this RPG Maker VX, right?

Wait, you can play ffvii on the pc...?
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 10 Aug 2009, 12:52

Tapeti wrote:We're being serious about this, right?

Well, it's possible to make one. There just needs to be a thorough yet believable storyline, reasonable enemies and npcs and such, and a playable format. It doesn't sound too hard.

@ ecocd: You're talking about this RPG Maker VX, right?

Wait, you can play ffvii on the pc...?

Yeah, I meant VX.

Okay, I wasn't talking about making a good game. It's far more difficult than you'd believe to make a good, fun game. This would be more like an hour or two jaunt through 2 or 3 LRR locales meeting up with the occasional LRR personality. More like a parody of a game than a game. If it does turn out to be fun, it could become episodic, I guess.

I'm not serious until I get a chance to try out an RPG Maker or game making system. @theDreamer: The XNA system looks really powerful - a little too powerful, actually. I think RPG Maker is more of a click-and-drag type of utility with a bunch of pre-built content. That's more along my commitment level to the project.

And yeah, a bug-ridden port of Final Fantasy VII came out for the PC from Eidos. They released Final Fantasy VIII as well. It's become something of a collector's item and it's a real b*tch to get working under Windows XP, requiring 1 official patch, 2 unofficial patches, ffdshow, an old Truemotion codec, a partridge in a pear tree and a little bit of luck. All sound files are crappy MIDI files, but the gameplay is identical to the PS1.
Final Fantasy VII
Tapeti

Postby Tapeti » 10 Aug 2009, 13:11

I understand. I get it. At first I thought this was a joke, or like one of those fun ideas that would never happen, but when you mentioned money... I don't know. I think it would be fun to make a Loading Ready RPG, but I could never do it.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 11 Aug 2009, 19:14

LRRPG sounds so much better.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 11 Aug 2009, 19:33

Dave-O_Boy wrote:LRRPG sounds so much better.

LoadingReadyRunPlayerGame?

*thumbs up in approval*
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 11 Aug 2009, 20:49

Oh you know what I mean. It's gotta be a pun.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 11 Aug 2009, 21:46

The thing about any LRR JRPG is that as soon as you see all the playable characters it becomes pretty obvious which one is going to die either at the end or halfway through.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 12 Aug 2009, 02:12

Not if I was making it, heh heh heh....

Oh, wait, I'm not.

EDIT: You forgot to include Muscle Santa in the list of special summons, guys!
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 12 Aug 2009, 06:48

a) DOH.

...I have never played a final fantasy game to completion, but in FF4 it was the sage, right? and 7 was the summoning chick. So there is no REAL trend in the two games I know have a dying guy...

No one in 3 has died yet(I have to beat the king's evil adviser the flying guy atm) , and while I HAVE 8 for the PC, its effectively unplayable because the graphics are so bad(literally whole chunks of the screen are misplaced).
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 12 Aug 2009, 07:26

Some responses:

LRRPG is *awesome* and will be forever used. Props to Iapeti and Dave-O_Boy.

RytelCSF wrote:The thing about any LRR JRPG is that as soon as you see all the playable characters it becomes pretty obvious which one is going to die either at the end or halfway through.

I don't really get that? Care to elaborate a little?

ThrashJazzAssassin wrote: You forgot to include Muscle Santa in the list of special summons, guys!

Not forgetting! I was asking for suggestions! Muscle Santa is a great addition to the list.

theDreamer wrote:I HAVE 8 for the PC, its effectively unplayable because the graphics are so bad(literally whole chunks of the screen are misplaced).

I guess that's not too surprising. FF8 was never nearly popular enough to warrant fanatics patching the game years after it came out.

As far as the LRRPG, I'm pretty busy over the next few weeks so there won't be any real movement on it from my end. I'll try to post in the Games Forum tonight for brainstorming and/or volunteers for story and script writing. Ultimately, one person will have dictatorial editorial control over the game (possibly me), but just about every creative endeavor is improved with a collaborative effort.
RytelCSF

Postby RytelCSF » 12 Aug 2009, 07:35

ecocd wrote:
RytelCSF wrote:The thing about any LRR JRPG is that as soon as you see all the playable characters it becomes pretty obvious which one is going to die either at the end or halfway through.

I don't really get that? Care to elaborate a little?

It's a common trope for one character to die in a JRPG, either at the end of the game or part of the way through.

It's also a common trope/running gag in LRR for Paul to play characters that die.

Put two and two together...
Tapeti

Postby Tapeti » 12 Aug 2009, 07:41

Aww well, I was kind of hoping none of them would die, but if that's what makes a good RPG...
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 12 Aug 2009, 08:19

Bear in mind, at least one of Paul's dead characters has come back better.

Paul is an intelligent zombie with a Phailinite ring after all.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
RytelCSF

Postby RytelCSF » 12 Aug 2009, 10:01

Just as a random idea, I think there should be a town where every NPC is named Eustace [different middle initial] Thrimbletrimmer.
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 12 Aug 2009, 10:58

RytelCSF wrote:It's a common trope for one character to die in a JRPG, either at the end of the game or part of the way through.

It's also a common trope/running gag in LRR for Paul to play characters that die.

Put two and two together...

Duh, right. Thanks. You're completely right. Fortunately the killer rotates.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 12 Aug 2009, 15:43

RytelCSF wrote:Just as a random idea, I think there should be a town where every NPC is named Eustace [different middle initial] Thrimbletrimmer.

Sorta like in Blazing Saddles?
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 13 Aug 2009, 04:23

Umm, I took a look at the XNA framework RPG Starter Kit and it's going to take more than a little while to learn enough to even mod the code for a different game. Not that it's impossible, but it's more of a long term project than I'd suspected. I think I'll go back to looking into RPG Maker for the level of commitment I'm willing to put in on this.

Still, speculation is fun, so feel free to keep adding Summons or other JPRG tropes with a LRR spin.
Tapeti

Postby Tapeti » 13 Aug 2009, 05:30

Just a suggestion:

8 characters: Graham, Paul, Jer, James, Bill, Matt, Morgan, and Kathleen. But also traveling with them is like, Tim or something. He doesn't battle, but he's there. Maybe some other people too.

In battles I suppose, there are either 3 or 4 people battling at a time. Whichever works better.

I don't know anything about character classes, so... yeah.

Am I making sense?
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 13 Aug 2009, 05:37

Tapeti wrote:Just a suggestion:

8 characters: Graham, Paul, Jer, James, Bill, Matt, Morgan, and Kathleen. But also traveling with them is like, Tim or something. He doesn't battle, but he's there. Maybe some other people too.

In battles I suppose, there are either 3 or 4 people battling at a time. Whichever works better.

I don't know anything about character classes, so... yeah.

Am I making sense?

It can happen. Sometimes those "special guest" travelers fight, too. Or, they come in and do something helpful and leave the fight.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)

Return to “LRRcast”