Site Updating

News and Announcements about LoadingReadyRun
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Site Updating

Postby tak197 » 16 Dec 2010, 13:03

Hey guys,

I've noticed that, while all the content on the Escapist is online and updated regularly, ever since Desert Bus, the forum and the website isn't getting the same love. I know you guys haven't forgotten about us, but I was wondering if there was a shortage of manpower or work time that has caused you guys to forget to update the website.

I would also complain about the lack of podcasts, but since it's all free content, I'd be a dick for complaining. So I'm just concerned, has something happened to you all that has made the website and forum fall to the wayside?

(If it helps, you could just do a weekly Daily Drop thread for every 5 episodes.)

Also, regarding Daily Drop, I will admit that the compact fluorescent episode was one of my least favorite episodes, because of how truly dangerous it was. I mean it's a smaller amount than, say, a thermometer, but the amount of mercury in the CFLs that was released could be hazardous. Please tell me that you guys took all the necessary precautions to protect yourselves.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Site Updating

Postby Ottoman » 16 Dec 2010, 14:06

tak197 wrote:Please tell me that you guys took all the necessary precautions to protect yourselves.
I'm going to assume that they didn't eat the leftover shards, so. . . yeah, they're fine.

About the video threads, I would be all for making a select few old-timers able to create threads in the discussion subfora.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 16 Dec 2010, 14:51

Ottoman wrote:About the video threads, I would be all for making a select few old-timers able to create threads in the discussion subfora.

Good idea, as long as it's kept to a few old hats who are regular posters. No one who takes LRR-breaks (similar to a wiki-break) on a regular basis.

Also, this "short list" should be updated regularly, especially if someone is away for a long length of time.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 16 Dec 2010, 20:46

I'd agree with all that, and I'd be the first to volunteer, but I don't really know if that's something the crew would be comfortable with.
Zagzag
First Video: Smallpox

Postby Zagzag » 17 Dec 2010, 10:44

I'm very upset about the lack of podcasts! I practically live off them! Since they're free I can't really complain though!
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 17 Dec 2010, 15:12

I imagine that everyone's just super busy. Not only did Desert Bus directly take them out of things for nearly a week, there's still things like post-DB cleanup, processing of auctions/donations and sending out packages (the fact that the main page is only NOW reflecting the fact that Creepy Doll 31 needs a home is a pretty big tell that this is still going on)...

Add in the fact that all of the DB craziness also means that they had less time to focus on things like videos and site upkeep for... probably about a month? Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're doing all they can without just falling over dead.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 17 Dec 2010, 22:23

I totally understand that. Perhaps it's part of my personality that when I lose contact with someone suddenly, I start to wonder what happened and want to know at least that everything is okay. I'm not their parents, just a concerned fanboy.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 18 Dec 2010, 08:31

I think the next podcast will be hilarious as they will have five hundred videos to talk about.
Zagzag
First Video: Smallpox

Postby Zagzag » 19 Dec 2010, 06:50

But the problem is that the longer it is before the podcast, the more work they will have to do, so the less they will want to do one. This could lead to the format's demise!
BertZ
First Video: Not ENN or Unskip was Show me your moves

Postby BertZ » 20 Dec 2010, 07:47

i too am sad about the lack of podcast :(
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 20 Dec 2010, 09:09

Graham said on Twitter they've recorded two for us. You just need to wait for James to edit and upload them...
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 21 Dec 2010, 11:01

I have been busy at work recently - which is where I have to update the site from - and it has caused me problems in terms of getting the site updated in a timely fashion.

I'm back up to speed now (save for the site's backend throwing a hissy fit right now due to the hustle episode which I have already contacted Paul about), but by and large the update issues have been my fault.

I'll try to avoid letting it continue.

-m

I am not angry at you.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 21 Dec 2010, 15:46

Well hey man, don't worry about it. You've been busy, the rest of the crew's been busy. Thanks for sorting it out when you could! :D
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 21 Dec 2010, 18:59

Thanks for the explanation, Matt. My concern was more along the lines of wanting to know if there was a small nuclear holocaust between the moonbase and the servers that kept things from updating.
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 05 Jan 2011, 15:20

Considering they are still succeeding to do weekly videos and Crapshots somewhat regularly what I am disturbed more by is the lack of Ask an Alex Live or comic updates!...(Also lack of Tim but we can't really expect something from him having left officially...for now. :P)

Being busy and post big event like Desert Bus it can take a big tole on energy levels and so can holidays so I understand a lot of the stuff has to be put off to recoup a little while...within reason of course cause while quality isn't always good on caffeinated rush it can't come from a dead stand still.
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 10 Jan 2011, 21:35

Yeah, sorry about all that guys. November and December really wiped us out this year. We're hoping for better things in 2011!

Podcasts are mostly back on track now, too. We recorded one on Saturday!
Thrawn`
First Video: Going Green

Postby Thrawn` » 22 Jan 2011, 15:53

Does anyone else miss the joys that were the Iron Stomach Challenge, Man Cooking, the Phailhaus, and all the glory that was the bonus page's consistent randomness with a sprinkling of The Whatever Thing? Now I understand the community has achieved newly found Crapshots, Unskipable, and gravity's effect on household objects, but sadly my life still doesn't seem complete.
Adding a few new ISC, Man Cooking, and Phailhaus' could bring in more traffic on the LRR site. Or perhaps one more series on the Escapist would facilitate this: sort of a variety show with whatever stuff doesn't fit into the current series on the Escapist.
As was once said by the Wiseman of the mountain: Whenlife gives you lemons post more videos of Ben throwing up.
Kobolds forever!
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 22 Jan 2011, 22:33

ISC really isn't my thing, but I do indeed thirst for more Phailhaus.
Thrawn`
First Video: Going Green

Postby Thrawn` » 24 Jan 2011, 15:58

Yeah sure, anyone could go on a failblog or just browse Google, but these lack the personal aspect of having Graham and company assault your ears with witty failing.
Now my question is, how much future DesertBus pledge money must I promise for a new episode...
Kobolds forever!

Return to “Site News”