Presenting: Strip Search

News and Announcements about LoadingReadyRun
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Re: Presenting: Strip Search

Postby KiteNeravar » 02 Mar 2013, 19:50

Three minutes in and I already found my favorite contestant.
captainfluoxetine
First Video: Commadore Hustle

Postby captainfluoxetine » 03 Mar 2013, 00:59

Graham wrote:I've seen some comments (elsewhere) like, "I thought this was supposed to be a satire of reality TV, but this looks real..."

I guess I take that as a compliment, but no, we never said that. It's a real show, it's just being made by people who actually care about other people.
There's no "asshole character", these are real people who we grew to care about. It's halfway to being a documentary show, under the auspices of reality TV... but it's still reality TV.

I encourage you to watch it, it's something special.

These were the exact thoughts which went through my head when watching it and left me feeling pretty torn...

On the plus side, I was thinking 'this looks like any other reality show' and then I thought: but its made by people with integrity who care about the subject matter, funded by people who are top of their field and generally seems actually REAL...which is unusual for reality TV ironically...

...which further led me to think, why the hell do i care? I watch reality TV to see what idiots people can be made to look and to see how much a of a dick the guy-whose-always-a-dick-character can be.

Will a genuine show with characters I'm meant to like and root for rather than despise
and wish misery upon work? And if it doesnt... what the hell does that say about me as a person!? :S
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 03 Mar 2013, 04:56

Part of me being weird out by Graham's performance in this comes of rewatching a lot of Desert Bus where Graham acts much more naturally.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 03 Mar 2013, 11:13

I love LoadingReadyRun and Graham playing host has me very excited. Graham you make a perfect intimidating host with the glasses and the jumper and the folded arms. And all the comic artists seem nice and they all do great work.

I'm excited to get past the introduction bits to the actual art-making bits.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 03 Mar 2013, 13:37

I admit, I kinda wish the episodes were longer; I barely felt like I'd got my teeth into it before it was done.

That said, I liked it, even though I was put off by the panning shots with ramped speed that then slackens off halfway through. I kept thinking, "Wait, I'm watching Amazing Race now?"
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 03 Mar 2013, 13:43

JackSlack wrote:I admit, I kinda wish the episodes were longer; I barely felt like I'd got my teeth into it before it was done.

That said, I liked it, even though I was put off by the panning shots with ramped speed that then slackens off halfway through. I kept thinking, "Wait, I'm watching Amazing Race now?"

I pretty much feel the same way. Looking back, it feels like we were introduced to each person about four times over the span of a single episode. The first from the by the beach scenes, the second from their drawings (my personal favorite since it shows off their art style and skill), the third from when they're abducted, and the fourth being meeting one another. This made the episode feel slow to me. I think the first introduction could have been cut and the name of each person overlayed onto the shot of them being abducted.

That said, I have a feeling there's not much that could have been done about that feeling. The introduction was going to be slow. Unless they wanted to try cramping two episodes together, I don't think much was going to happen no matter how fast the first half was. I think it would have been worse to cut the show down to 10 minutes, include the first 5-8 minutes of some action beginning, and then suddenly stop the episode.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Mar 2013, 14:47

Well, you gotta care about them because one of them... won't last the day.

BUM BUM BAUUUUUMMM

But seriously that's not for an episode or two.
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 03 Mar 2013, 15:20

A friend of mine, who has a web comic, I sent a link to the first episode. He liked it allot but had one question for me afterward and I quote, "Who is the guy with the beard and glasses?"

So I explained and now hes caught up, but I thought that was funny.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 03 Mar 2013, 15:26

Graham wrote:Well, you gotta care about them because one of them... won't last the day.

I refuse to care about any of them. I don't know them after all. There's no reason for me to.

Must... resist...

Fine, you win. I'll care for them.

But being serious for a moment, I'm curious about the trap. Is it an immunity-idol sort of thing? Given traps are bad (Mmmkay) I kinda doubt it. It seems possible/likely that that's how the first person will get kicked out of the mansion/house/island. But we'll just have to wait and see.
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 03 Mar 2013, 16:23

Question: Is there any chance of getting some sort of Loading Time for this, or would any bonus/behind-the-scenes content be more likely to go up on the PATV site?
pauljefferson
First Video: All of them

Postby pauljefferson » 03 Mar 2013, 16:28

Does anyone else think that Lexxie could be Kathleen's long lost twin?

Also, loving the music behind it - really well done.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 03 Mar 2013, 16:44

I only care about poor Thomas, the 13th contestant that you cut out of the series.

Poor guy went to use the bathroom and when he flushed the toilet the ground opened up and he fell into a pool of acid under the house. It took 9 excruciating hours for him to die while Mike and Jerry stood next to the vat with a pallet of baking soda refusing to help him out as he screamed.

They were taunting him the entire time first with a rope that they let go of as soon as he started climbing, then with a ladder that was flimsily made, finally they offered him a gun so he could "just end it" but kept giving him the wrong size bullets.

The whole time they kept saying "we will help you if you just draw us the next best web comic"

Wow that went to a really really dark place.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 03 Mar 2013, 17:56

Ptangmatik wrote: idk if Gabe's from anything, maybe Gabe Newell? Doubt it though)

He's named after the Archangel Gabrielle after getting harassed for being named Peach.

Also, great episode.
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 03 Mar 2013, 19:27

Graham wrote:Well, you gotta care about them because one of them... won't last the day.

BUM BUM BAUUUUUMMM

Is my favorite kicked out first? That's how this works isn't it? You get me to pick a favorite, and then BOOM! they're gone, and I'm stuck here all favoriteless and to stubborn to just pick a new one. Well then now that I know your plan I'll do what you weren't expecting and pick a favorite! HAHA!....oh
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 04 Mar 2013, 05:58

I was (very) vaguely aware that this was coming, so thanks for 'reminding' us on Checkpoint :D
Just finished watching the first episode and it was awesome, looking forward to more. Even/especially when judged as an interesting reality show, not just a Bionic Trousers endeavour.

As for Graham not being introduced, that's pretty common practice in reality show land (in my experience), and his name is in the credits enough for people to find out his name :P

Can't wait to see what kind of challenges were in there (but I will).

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 04 Mar 2013, 14:39

Was just watching old Penny arcade the series and in season 1 episode 27 around 11min in Mike talks about doing a Hell's Kitchen of web comics and can't find the date but i believe that series 1 is from 2010 so they have had this idea for years
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 05 Mar 2013, 06:22

I am disappointed in Theodore's title in the credits, its so "professional".
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 05 Mar 2013, 07:39

Bradley's credits music seems reminiscent of the music in World of Goo to me, specifically Chapter 2. Anyone else feeling that vibe?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

MrPayneTrayne

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 05 Mar 2013, 09:27

I have to agree with what was said on the StripSearch site, the fact that it's LRR edited makes me expect a stinger.

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 05 Mar 2013, 09:56

I liked this episode, and Graham no longer sounds so dubbed over. I look forward to Friday.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 05 Mar 2013, 13:49

Yeah, nice, simple, relaxed game, winner got a cool mystery prize and everyone was cool and genial in that 'getting to know a roomful of strangers' way. Kinda like a little improv gameshow for artists.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
MrPayneTrayne

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 05 Mar 2013, 13:56

Ptangmatik wrote:Yeah, nice, simple, relaxed game, winner got a cool mystery prize and everyone was cool and genial in that 'getting to know a roomful of strangers' way. Kinda like a little improv gameshow for artists.

I disagree, I already see that Amy seems to be 'playing the game'.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 05 Mar 2013, 14:36

MrPayneTrayne wrote:
Ptangmatik wrote:Yeah, nice, simple, relaxed game, winner got a cool mystery prize and everyone was cool and genial in that 'getting to know a roomful of strangers' way. Kinda like a little improv gameshow for artists.

I disagree, I already see that Amy seems to be 'playing the game'.

Yea, it's obvious a couple people are already going into that mode. And honestly, it seemed like everyone elses' faces drooped after the prize was announced. It might have been better without the prize in my opinion, since it made the entire game kind of feel... dubious?

It's also weird seeing Graham in Survivor Host Mode.
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 07 Mar 2013, 05:22

KiteNeravar wrote:

BUM BUM BAUUUUUMMM

Is my favorite kicked out first? That's how this works isn't it? You get me to pick a favorite, and then BOOM! they're gone, and I'm stuck here all favoriteless and to stubborn to just pick a new one.

The "Joss Whedon" school of reality TV? :P

If the first episode was warming up to the idea, the SECOND episode was what really grabbed me and said "This is a good thing that is happening here."
Great chemistry between everybody, plenty of laughs, so much sadness that one won't last the day.
I can't possibly pick a favourite. I love them all. :D
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 07 Mar 2013, 12:38

Kapol wrote:Yea, it's obvious a couple people are already going into that mode.

Abby's working hard to stake out the villain spot early on.

Also, Alex is so the best.

Return to “Site News”