LRRcon 2014

News and Announcements about LoadingReadyRun
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Re: LRRcon 2014

Postby Ptangmatik » 10 May 2014, 01:02

Ah but Hosk, for all you know, he was wearing a full Nazi uniform crafted out of kitten pelts, we have no idea of context!

(Seriously nima, don't worry about it, we all geek out sometimes. My problem is that I try too hard to impress or immediately fit in, rather than just being amicable.)
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 10 May 2014, 02:07

CaptainSpam wrote:I'm in Atlanta!

This may seem a bit backwards, starting from central Kentucky and all, but I'm assured this is the most logical possible route to Seattle.

1) Atlanta's Hartman airport is a major hub for US air travel - it's legit.

2) aeric90: AWESOME VIDEO! :) And have fun at the Doubletree! :D

3) Everyone in attendance - have a great time; no ill will held for you getting to something I couldn't (there's always other cons :) )
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 10 May 2014, 06:57

I'm going to heading off soon and will get there around noonish. I'll probably just stick around to playing some boardgames and such. I don't know how long I'll be staying at the con though. I'd like to stick around for the Comedy show, but happens to be in town this weekend and I might go to dinner with her.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 10 May 2014, 12:22

Turns out I'm mostly balls at meeting people (it's not really a surprise, but still). The people I have met are nice, though, so I'll try to meet more of you!
CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby CaptainSpam » 10 May 2014, 18:24

Chemistring wrote:Turns out I'm mostly balls at meeting people (it's not really a surprise, but still). The people I have met are nice, though, so I'll try to meet more of you!

I met a few people! But nobody from LRR yet. Was off playing other games. And where ARE you, Chemi?
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 10 May 2014, 23:28

I had a lot fun and met some cool folks. I saw some people that I'm pretty sure are/were frequent posters here, but since I pretty much only post twice a year now I couldn't remember anyone's screen name and felt real weird walking up and saying something like "You're from the forums, right?" Sooo yeah.

I was the guy in the bright pink shirt that read "CHINA DONT CARE." My friend Solon was there too. He was the guy with the partial teal hair. Our group came last in the trivia so that was a huge success.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 May 2014, 02:44

I had a good time! This was awesome! Met forum folks... Met crew... Scrubbed out of a few Magic games... Finished the scavenger hunt... Just had a great time and wish I could do this more often.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 11 May 2014, 07:34

CaptainSpam wrote:I met a few people! But nobody from LRR yet. Was off playing other games. And where ARE you, Chemi?

When you asked I was grabbing food with Tapir12, Hekla, and a few other people.

Played games with some of the DB survivors so did I end up meeting you last night or will you be at breakfast this morning?

Edit: Never mind, found you!
Bryy M. Miller
First Video: Dinosaur

Postby Bryy M. Miller » 11 May 2014, 13:00

Any pictures for me to live vicariously through?
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 11 May 2014, 19:35

It occurs to me that I carried my camera around all weekend and didn't take any pictures.

LRRcon was great and it was so nice to finally meet a bunch of other forumites (except I couldn't find Jamfalcon, where the heck were you??). What a great bunch of people and thank you for hanging out with me. I hope it isn't the last time we meet!
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 May 2014, 19:45

According to Graham, all of the shows were caught on video, and I know there were plenty of professional photographers running around the gaming area.

JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 11 May 2014, 20:38

Okay, time to explain myself.

Over the course of LRRcon, I ran a treasure hunt! I convinced a bunch of the LRR crew and some other known figures to help me out, and gave the directions, "Have them recite the couplet to you. Ask them a question or have them perform some activity. When they have done it to your satisfaction, read them the next couplet."

I had Graham kick it off by tweeting from the @loadingreadyrun account, "To start your search both near and far, find the creator of LRR. (It’s a treasure hunt! Recite the couplet to the person to whom it refers)"

This of course led them to Graham. I'm not sure if he had a question or activity, but he would then give them the couplet,
This lady's praises I will sing
She can make most anything.

Tally then asked supplicants to tell her the story of how Harry the Creepy Doll got his name. They could either tell her the real story (a mistake she made with using white fabric over black gave him the appearance of a shadow or scar on his forehead, thus, Harry) or invent a cool backstory. Her couplet was then,

This one's got a pretty boast.
He's the one who dies the most.

A lot of people thought this one was Paul, but it in fact referred to Alex and his talents at streaming. Most people sorted this out fairly quickly anyway. I never got to hear if he had a question or activity, but his couplet was:

It's clear that this one is the best
He is always so well-dressed.

Cam's couplet, in turn, was,

You're progressing well, it seems.
Find the man who's made of memes.

Beej, I believe, came up with something different for each person, but the one I overheard was him quizzing people on different memes he'd portrayed on cH. He then gave them,

For wacky science, he's who you call,
He doesn't need the beard at all.

(With an unread addendum that I wrote in, because it deserved to be there,
This is why, this is why, this is why he's ____

Paul, I don't believe, had a question, but he in turn gave players,

Okay, I'll admit this rhyme sucks.
Find a man who's fond of ducks.

Jer had the players quack, and even act like a duck, I believe. When they'd sufficiently humiliated themselves, he read out,

Chat mod, Twitch dev, I could ramble,
Trusting him in Minecraft is a Gamble.

Graham himself told me that this one was fucking people up and he loved it. Most people eventually did understand that it was Fugi, though, and I did watch and shepherd the progress of most participants because I wanted them to win, and few enough people were doing it that I still had a couple prizes left over at the end. Fugi made people kick Kroze (or AeroCmdr, if Kroze hadn't rejoined yet) from the chat, before giving them the couplet:

In all the land, north and south,
This lady has the foulest mouth.

Kathleen was pleased with this descriptor. I don't know if she had a task for the people, but eventually, she directed them to me, with:

If you want to reach the end,
Purple diamonds are your friend.

Most people saw the purple diamonds on the skirt of my dress fairly quickly. I also had initially enlisted Pika, not realizing that she wouldn't be around during the day, but since she was the last link before me, we were able to give Kathleen the couplet to me, instead of the original,

She may be only half a Bill small,
But in her heart she's ten feet tall.

Finally, I had the players tweet their allegiance to me and Lord Hosk, and declare that they served under the banner of @loadingreadyrun (with a few exceptions I allowed to post on the forums since they didn't have twitter accounts). By the end of the day, I'd given away sixteen knit wristbands with LRR logos on them to successful treasure hunters, another to Fugi, one to Liz for deserving it, and at the very end, two to players my friend KidSpanner beat to get to his position in the top four in the last tournament of the day, for being pleasant opponents.

I had a lovely day, and I think others had a lot of fun as well. I'd like to thank everyone who participated in my silly little scheme, and major major props and thanks to Lord Hosk, for commissioning me to make "door prizes" to hand out at LRRcon, and then deciding I could hand them out as I pleased, when his plans to come fell through. Three cheers for Hosk! This is all, ultimately, his doing.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 May 2014, 20:55

I loved the Scavenger Hunt! :D
Fayili wrote:
This one's got a pretty boast.
He's the one who dies the most.
It in fact referred to Alex and his talents at streaming. Most people sorted this out fairly quickly anyway. I never got to hear if he had a question or activity.
When I got to him, he himself wasn't even sure what I should do. He had me roll a D20 for initiative. I got a 17, and he gave me the couplet.
Fayili wrote:
Chat mod, Twitch dev, I could ramble,
Trusting him in Minecraft is a Gamble.
Graham himself told me that this one was fucking people up and he loved it. Most people eventually did understand that it was Fugi, though, and I did watch and shepherd the progress of most participants because I wanted them to win, and few enough people were doing it that I still had a couple prizes left over at the end. Fugi made people kick Kroze (or AeroCmdr, if Kroze hadn't rejoined yet) from the chat.
I got it in one, but I am assuming that my kicking Kroze with "Russell!" (Get it?) was the last one, since Fugi's laptop was registering with 0% battery when I did it.
Fayili wrote:
If you want to reach the end,
Purple diamonds are your friend.
Most people saw the purple diamonds on the skirt of my dress fairly quickly.
Most people who aren't color-blind, that is. ;) :P I asked a friend for another clue, which led me in the right direction. :)

DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Postby DuelLadyS » 11 May 2014, 21:03

I loved the scavenger hunt, Fayili! I was in the middle of a game when it started, so my fiancé's brother did the first part for me. It was kind of silly- take turn in game, tell him who to find. Take turn in game, provide riddle answer. Take turn in game, tell him who was next.

We made the Paul mistake on who died the most too, so that gave me a chance to finish my game. Fugi was the first big block- I knew instantly who I had to find, but realized I didn't actually know what he looked like! Me and my fiancé googled 'fugiman' to get a photo for reference. (The big break was Tally telling me to look for a twitch tv hoodie.) Then we got stuck on you- Fugi actually helped with that one by telling me what table you were sitting at (I couldn't see the diamonds from the side of the table I was on.) It was great fun, though- I put the wristband on my big teddy bear. He is now LRR-Dan-Bear :D

Alex gave me a pass on the activity to start a magic game (freebie!) Kathleen gave me a challenge I had been preparing for all week during some especially slow work shifts- "Dance for me!"

I'll do a proper post later, but if any of my fellow Teetotalers from the trivia contest happen by, do say hello! (and for the curious- yes, somehow it turned out our met-at-LRRcon random group did consist entirely of people who didn't really drink. It was most silly for a Pub Trivia event- at least we thought so.)
Last edited by DuelLadyS on 12 May 2014, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 May 2014, 21:09

Speaking of teetotaling...

I found it hilarious that I'm a guy who abstains from cursing, drinking, smoking, sex, and various other things that could be considered by some to be "vices" of a sort...

Yet I won at what I'm calling "Cards Against Beejanity" :D

All the darkness in me must be going into terrible, terrible thoughts instead of that other stuff. ;)

Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 11 May 2014, 21:32

Thank god for Auto Join. (I was one of Fugi's kick victims too)

Yay also for being able to be a part of LRRCon without even being there!
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby CaptainSpam » 11 May 2014, 21:44

Fayili wrote:A lot of people thought this one was Paul, but it in fact referred to Alex and his talents at streaming. Most people sorted this out fairly quickly anyway. I never got to hear if he had a question or activity, but his couplet was:

I can vouch for the fact that one of Alex's activities for a traveling scavengerer was to join a game of We Didn't Playtest This At All. I think said scavengeer won that hand, too.
DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Postby DuelLadyS » 12 May 2014, 04:59

AdmiralMemo wrote:Speaking of teetotaling...

I found it hilarious that I'm a guy who abstains from cursing, drinking, smoking, sex, and various other things that could be considered by some to be "vices" of a sort...

Yet I won at what I'm calling "Cards Against Beejanity" :D

All the darkness in me must be going into terrible, terrible thoughts instead of that other stuff. ;)

That's how our group runs too- the worst things come out of the sweetest person :D

Next time*, I should try to pre-arrange a game with my CAH set. I had it there, but kept in on me instead of putting it in the library set because I was paranoid. See, it's a complete set- I have everything* released post-kickstarter. Canada? UK? Reject pack? That 10 card set from PAX East you only got if you attended their panel? It's all in there. I wanted to set up a great big game, but I got a lil' distracted. :wink:

**OK, not 100% true. I'm waiting for the 90s pack to release online so I don't have to pay an Ebay markup. THEN I'll have everything.
*Yes, I said Next Time. Because there NEEDS to be a Next Time- you hear me, guys?!
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 12 May 2014, 07:08

I landed back home a few hours ago. Fairly tired but still buzzing from an awesome weekend. Serious thanks to AdmiralMemo for booking the room and for being a great room-mate and fun guy to hang around with. Same goes for Mums, I had a lot of fun hanging out with you, I'm hoping you made a connecting flight without too much delay.

Dix wrote:Thank god for Auto Join. (I was one of Fugi's kick victims too)

Sorry about that, Dix. It was our little entourage that Fugi set upon you :D. I had such a fun time doing the treasure hunt, great idea, Fayili! The wrist bands are sweet.

Thanks to Mike for the quiz. Team PresidentBarackObamaAllOneTeamAllOneWord had a lot of fun, even if Matt got the colour of his own planeswalker card wrong :wink:.

Obvious thanks to Liz, the rest of her team and all of the crew that pitched in to make LRRCon what it was. It was absolutely worth it.
SomeCallMeTim
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby SomeCallMeTim » 12 May 2014, 07:53

Fantastic, wonderful, stupendous, other big shouty positive words. I had the best time, thank you to all the people who put it together and went!
Some highlights: Almost winning the foil sheet of uncommons from the standard tournament, almost winning (top 8, at least) the draft that would not end, playing Pandemic and Betrayal at the House on the Hill for the first time, CAH UK edition, surprise Card Kingdom run and subsequent hangouts with Fugi and ekimekim, (also Adam but I don't know if he's got a username on the site)and the show, panel, LNDF, and oh wait I've listed everything haven't I?
Also, the opening round of drinks with the crew Friday night had to be one of the most surreal experiences for me. The LRR crew shows up and it's immediately like we've known each other for ages (well, I suppose it kind of is true, at least for one party).
Anyway, after the longest layovers ever I am back home and can officially sleep again! So I will do that now.
BE RIGHT THERE HOMBRE!
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 12 May 2014, 14:10

Tapir12 wrote:(except I couldn't find Jamfalcon, where the heck were you??)

Yeah, I'm not quite sure how that happened. I saw you once, but it was right when I was heading to the trivia so I couldn't really stop to talk, was sorry not to bump into you again after that.

Actually, turns out I'm just not good at introducing myself to people, since I also didn't end up really interacting with Aeric, Mums, SilPho, or a handful of other people that I apologize for not remembering the name of at this moment. I also didn't end up doing the scavenger hunt because my wi-fi was crumby over the whole weekend, but it sounds like it was really neat, so thanks anyhow to Fayili and Hosk for setting that up!

But, that aside, I had an amazing time! Can't quite formulate thoughts right now — I was up until about 5:00 AM on Sunday morning. First because of a series of amazing Werewolf/Mafia games with Alex, Fugi, Pika, and a ton of other people that I don't know or didn't remember the names of because it was late, and then I hung around watching a few hours of the draft with SomeCallMeTim and Fayili.

Earlier in the day, I was in that Betrayal at House on the Hill game Tim mentioned, and most of the players from that formed a trivia team, and that was a lot of fun. For those that were there, I should explain the name: the scenario in our BaHotH game had a scenario where we were all aging supernaturally, so afterwords I suggested our team be called "The Old Folks". Someone (I don't recall who) misheard that as "The Old Fucks", and that name proved more popular. We didn't do amazingly (tied for 7th out of 10) but I think we did pretty well with the questions and had fun. I also played a couple games of King of Tokyo with two people who I unfortunately did not catch the name of, and Paul joined us for half of the second one, (he was dragged off to captain an Artemis game with rest of the crew), so that was neat.

It was great meeting the crew, and getting a chance to directly interact with Kathleen, Paul, Graham, Tally, and especially Alex. The shows were all great, especially the Late Night Dub Fight, which was hilarious. I'm sure I'll have more to say later, but I'm still a bit too tired to formulate coherent thoughts. Anyway, had an amazing time and it was great meeting everyone I did!
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 12 May 2014, 14:32

OK, hold me to this- if this happens again next year, I will probably go. The weekend after the Bank Holiday will be a bit stressy for me, but I'll do my best. If LRRcon happens again the year after that, I will DEFINITELY go; no goddamn excuses.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 12 May 2014, 16:43

CaptainSpam wrote:
Fayili wrote:A lot of people thought this one was Paul, but it in fact referred to Alex and his talents at streaming. Most people sorted this out fairly quickly anyway. I never got to hear if he had a question or activity, but his couplet was:

I can vouch for the fact that one of Alex's activities for a traveling scavengerer was to join a game of We Didn't Playtest This At All. I think said scavengeer won that hand, too.

Well I knocked Alex out. Somebody else had a card that let them win as soon as somebody else did.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 12 May 2014, 19:34

Jamfalcon wrote:I was up until about 5:00 AM on Sunday morning. First because of a series of amazing Werewolf/Mafia games with Alex, Fugi, Pika, and a ton of other people that I don't know or didn't remember the names of because it was late.

Wait, you were in the Werewolf game? I probably killed you then. I killed pretty much everyone.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 12 May 2014, 19:38

Wait, you were in the Werewolf game? :P I completely didn't recognize you, I guess. I was the guy in the blue sweatshirt across from Alex and the "village drunk".
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!

Return to “Site News”