Leaving The Escapist

News and Announcements about LoadingReadyRun
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Leaving The Escapist

Postby Paul » 25 Mar 2015, 18:53

[mirror of this blog post]

Right off the bat, the takeaway from this post is that starting in April, we will no longer be posting content to The Escapist Magazine. The final episode of Unskippable will air on March 30th, and while Feed Dump will continue here and on our own YouTube channel, the last one to air on The Escapist will land on April 1st. No, it’s not an April Fools joke!

If you’d like to know why, read on, because we’d be happy to tell you! We’ve always been super open about stuff like this, and we’re not planning to stop now :)

The Escapist came to us and said that Unskippable was not getting the kind of viewership they needed to continue the show. We could either continue the show for less money, or end it. It’s not feasible for us to do Unskippable at a lower rate, so we’ve decided to end the show. The Escapist did ask if we’d consider pitching them a new show, but that’s not something we’re interested in right now. To answer the inevitable question: the Unskippable property is owned by The Escapist’s parent company, and we are unable to continue it independently.

Further, we don’t think it really makes sense for Feed Dump to continue on The Escapist, so we won’t be cross-posting it there anymore. In contrast, we own Feed Dump, so for clarification: Feed Dump is not stopping, we’ll just keep posting it to our own site and YouTube, as we’ve been doing this whole time.

To note: Since we’re not being paid for it anymore, Feed Dump will be added to the bulging list of content that is supported directly by you, on our Patreon. We believe this will all work out fine and (as always!) we hugely appreciate any and all support.

The first episode of Unskippable aired Nov 19th, 2008. Over six years ago! The final episode will be #326. It’s been an amazing ride. Winning The Escapist’s film festival and landing Unskippable was largely responsible for helping us grow into the company we are now. We wouldn’t be where we are without the support of The E in those early days. So this brings us a mixture of weird feelings, but change happens, and it’s time to move on.

Personally, I want to thank everyone in Durham we worked with during the last six years, and all the other wonderful staff we got to meet at The eXpo. Sorry for all the late uploads >_<

So long, and thanks for all the imps.
Nima55
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Re: Leaving The Escapist

Postby Nima55 » 25 Mar 2015, 21:07

Oh thank god. I'm really glad that you guys are getting out of there, and that I'll never have to visit that site again now that it's turned evil. I am sad to see unskippable go, but It's for the best.
Better known as NovaGirl5, Guardian of Adam Savidan.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 26 Mar 2015, 08:47

Does this mean all of the old LRR sketches are going to be going up on YouTube with greater expediency? Or is that just another job you'll have to get round to some time?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Garwulf
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Garwulf » 26 Mar 2015, 08:58

The timing for this is a bit interesting. An installment of my new Garwulf's Corner column on the Escapist which starts by talking about how much I like watching LRR stream...will be going up on April 1st, the day after LRR leaves the Escapist.

I have absolutely no idea of how that's going to be taken, but it should be interesting...
Author, Editor, Publisher, and Researcher
Read Garwulf's Corner, on Medium: https://medium.com/tag/garwulfs-corner/archive

...and please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/RobertBMarks
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 26 Mar 2015, 09:12

Im sad to see Unskippable end but really glad to see you guys leave the Escapist.
Unskippable is how I found LRR and I'm so happy I ended up here. Such an amazing community has formed around you guys!
varmintx
First Video: PSA: Uwe Boll

Postby varmintx » 26 Mar 2015, 19:51

Nima55 wrote:Oh thank god. I'm really glad that you guys are getting out of there, and that I'll never have to visit that site again now that it's turned evil. I am sad to see unskippable go, but It's for the best.

I was going to say the same thing, except in a far more inflammatory manner. Thank you for getting it out there first.
Drakmon
First Video: lost planet

Postby Drakmon » 29 Mar 2015, 14:50

What's up with escapists? seems no different to how it has ever been? just curious btw, i'll be happy to never need to go back to the site again, apart from yatzee i guess.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 30 Mar 2015, 01:44

They've had several changes in leadership in the past few years, and some of their content providers have been... mistreated by some standards, and thus have left.

Also, their forums have become a toxic environment. There was some element there back in, say, 2010, as evidenced by "Cami-gate" and such, but it's just gotten worse in the past 5 years.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Postby Clypheous » 30 Mar 2015, 11:59

I too am happy that you're leaving the Escapist at this point, but I will miss Unskippable. However, given how many other awesome things you're doing these days, I imagine there will be something to fill that gap here real soon.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 30 Mar 2015, 12:51

I'm just sad that they can't bring Unskippable with them, but legal stuff...

Also, GPLP usually ends up filling the gap.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Redlin5
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby Redlin5 » 30 Mar 2015, 13:00

Your last day on the Escapist is my first day here. I'm going to keep up with you guys here. Even though that means changing my habits, at least I won't have to deal with Youtube comments. :P
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 30 Mar 2015, 13:50

It is good timing for me as it is just before my Publisher's Club membership expires, something I was not planning on renewing.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Drakmon
First Video: lost planet

Postby Drakmon » 30 Mar 2015, 15:19

Hmm that's a shame to hear, though in my experience their forums have always been terrible, i remember trying to talk about LRR there at one point & it was just an awful experience.

Return to “Site News”