Crapshots

For videos that aren't... y'know... "real". Whatever Thing, Phailhaüs, etc.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Re: Crapshots

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 11 Jul 2010, 01:56

I'm sorry to hear that.
Chuckles
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby Chuckles » 11 Jul 2010, 09:01

Tim wrote:The hand getting cut off is my fault for not paying close enough attention during shooting. I should have noticed it and gotten him to move over a bit to shoot again.
Alex Steacy wrote:That's actually my fault for not noticing where I cropped the frame. :D
The Jester wrote:No no, it's my bad. Totally my fault, I should have been psychically commanding you both with more care and attention. Won't happen again, I promise.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:I'm sorry to hear that.
What is this I don't even
"Flat beer or a lumpy mattress. Take your pick."
"I'd prefer a flat mattress."
"Hmm.. Well, it could be done.. If I take the lumps out of the mattress, and put them in the beer, you'd have a flat mattress and a lumpy beer!"
HardDrive
First Video: The Job

Postby HardDrive » 14 Jul 2010, 18:32

Only just found Crapshots yesterday...how has it taken me this long? My favourites are definitely Punishments 1 and 2, and the Accusation.
Dr.Ninja
First Video: Unskippable and ENN

Postby Dr.Ninja » 15 Jul 2010, 16:14

I love the callback to The Experiment in Punishment 2
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 15 Jul 2010, 16:26

Re: The Automaton

At first, I was really excited to see that you were finally using some of the promised 'animations, motion graphics, stop motion, puppetry and more'. Then I was disappointed to realise that it was just an advert.

:cry:
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 17 Jul 2010, 15:28

Re: Ottoman

It isn't *just* an advertisement. In fact, its not really an advertisement at all. I was originally going to put mention for the poster preorder in the video itself, but intentionally omitted it because then it WOULD be just an ad, and I'm not comfortable doing that. So instead I put a notice unobtrusively in the comment box just so that The Automaton would be a standalone video long after the preorder AND it would let people know about something neat they can buy from LRR. I don't really understand why you'd be disappointed at me making subtle mention of something related that I created, the sale of which directly supports me, the artist.

I'm probably going to animate more of the 64 robots series because they're some of my favourite IP and I think they would be very lively little characters done up in flash. I wub them little guise.
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 17 Jul 2010, 16:48

The video is just the robot, standing there. The robot is from the poster. The video went up at the beginning of the poster's pre-order period. From these points, I deduced that the entire objective of the video was to promote the poster. Really, would it have been made otherwise?

I wasn't disappointed that your work was being promoted, I was sad to not have a new legit episode. That might be a bit greedy, but I think it's at least understandable.

No hard feelings, or anything; I'm just looking forward to a return to 'regularly-scheduled programming' next week.
ThrashJazzAssassin

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 18 Jul 2010, 02:28

I think Ottoman has a point; the video is just a picture of the robot. Whether or not you intended it as an ad, it wasn't funny. It's entirely possible that other robots would work for this, but choosing one that doesn't move at all for the first robot animation means that there's nothing special about the fact that it doesn't move; people don't have animations of moving robots to compare it with, so the fact that it's staring intensely doesn't come across until the text points it out, by which point the video has already failed to engage the viewer's interest. Unless they're expecting something like a screamer at the end, in which case it's anticlimactic.
far_wanderer
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby far_wanderer » 18 Jul 2010, 12:29

I actually quite enjoyed the robot, and wouldn't mind seeing many more of them. The little wiggly lines and background noise were enough to make it clear to me that it was meant to be an animation of something standing still rather than just a still picture.
I can, however, agree with the point that it seemed out of place when compared to the other Crapshot videos. But I suppose that's what happens when you stick to live-action for 40 episodes and then switch things up.
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 18 Jul 2010, 19:57

far_wanderer wrote:live-action for 40 episodes
39. Episode 2, 'The Solution', was animated.
ThrashJazzAssassin

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 19 Jul 2010, 03:39

Oh, it's clear that it's an animation in which time is passing, far_wanderer. It's just that it's an animation of a robot not doing anything.

What I meant was that since we don't have any previous robot videos to compare it to, it doesn't really look like the robot is staring intensely; maybe all robots have eyes that look like that. Just having the robot stand there looking at the viewer and then blinking isn't remotely funny. It would have worked better if it had followed on from a bunch of much more lively animations, thus emphasising what's so different about this particular robot.

I guess I'm in danger of mixing up two separate issues here, so just to make them clear: (a) I personally don't think The Automaton is a funny or interesting video, and (b) objectively, regardless of whether it is or isn't funny, I don't think it was a good choice for the first robot animation.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 19 Jul 2010, 08:28

Its actually very similar to 'Episode One - The Condition'.
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 19 Jul 2010, 09:14

Not really, because The Condition had a joke, and a rather clever one at that. This one was more similar to The Expectation.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 19 Jul 2010, 09:20

I disagree, I just think The Condition finishes with a better punchline. Eh.
HardDrive
First Video: The Job

Postby HardDrive » 22 Jul 2010, 02:28

Love the Match... the continuity of the sound serves to draw even more attention to the repeated costume shifts. Liked the way the bigger balls all sounded like a ping-pong ball too.
And The Offer? Liked that too.
Chuckles
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby Chuckles » 22 Jul 2010, 11:06

I was expecting Alex to just eat it at the end of The Offer. Wrapper and all. Or start laughing maniacally.
"Flat beer or a lumpy mattress. Take your pick."
"I'd prefer a flat mattress."
"Hmm.. Well, it could be done.. If I take the lumps out of the mattress, and put them in the beer, you'd have a flat mattress and a lumpy beer!"
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 25 Jul 2010, 11:34

At least those 100,000 bees in a rubber suit are snappy dressers.
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 26 Jul 2010, 11:07

The Match was hilarious. The Plaza, not so much. Most of them are hit and miss, but I guess that's the point.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 26 Jul 2010, 11:58

I enjoyed the Plaza, a very simple idea but funny at the same time.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 26 Jul 2010, 12:01

Really, one would have to have terrible taste to not enjoy 100,000 bees in a rubber suit.
BZZZZ
Alex Steacy

Postby Alex Steacy » 27 Jul 2010, 01:16

All you single digit nubars need to pay respect i'm almost in the 1/4 way club so step off dog
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 27 Jul 2010, 01:31

Let's see, each level is equal to the total number of clicks needed to reach the previous level plus 10, and there's a maximum of level 100, so in order to get to that level you would need to click...

49,500 times

However, Alex's screen states he's clicked 23,531 times and is at level 23, whereas he should be closer to level 72. He also declares that the mix is actually "If you click ten times more than you did last time..." (The above calculation was made on the assumption he meant ten additional instances of clicking rather than multiplication) which suggests a number for that level registered in scientific notation.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 27 Jul 2010, 08:54

Why is the logo on your (Graham's?) MacBook so dark? That can't be a good sign.
Alex Steacy

Postby Alex Steacy » 27 Jul 2010, 11:57

Its my macbook, and the logo is shining through a transluscent hardshell. Alita is just fine apart from a frayed PSU and a worn out battery.

Also, for the actual game, even if level 1 were just 1 click, level 100 would be would be 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 clicks alone, not counting each previous levels.

I know people like grinding but that would take like lifetimes. If someone is actually interested in making clickquest a real game it would need a different level algorithm, maybe something similar to desert bus - prev level + 7%?

I just made up the numbers on screen for show, they don't really mean anything. In fact, here's the screen as a clickquest desktop theme!
(click to enlarge)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Jul 2010, 12:17

I'd play that game, if only to macro the shit out of it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.

Return to “Bonus Video”