Guidelines For Submissions

For videos that aren't... y'know... "real". Whatever Thing, Phailhaüs, etc.
Morgan
LRR Crew

Guidelines For Submissions

Postby Morgan » 07 Nov 2006, 00:06

Here are the guidelines for getting stuff on the whatever thing:

1 Anything should be submitted to [email protected] - it's just too time consuming to go through the forums and find everything that people have written.
2 If you write a haiku, it will be read by me. If you record yourself we will play that file. The more rofly it is the greater likelyhood of being in the vid.
Get creative with how you say 'whatever'. Again, if it makes us rofl, it is much more likely to be played.
3 I want to try to do a q&a, so send in questions also. Right now there are no guidlines. Basically, if I want to answer your question, I will do so. It can be about absolutely anything. These don't have to be funny.
Possibly more updates to this post to come. Possibly not.
Last edited by Morgan on 07 Nov 2006, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 07 Nov 2006, 01:40

Do the possible updates to this post include capitalization, punctuation and formatting for goddamn legibility, jackass?
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 07 Nov 2006, 10:28

Hey, Morgan's just trying some freehand poetry. Let him express, damnit.
No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 07 Nov 2006, 13:32

happy now, graham? now that you've forced me to use vestigial language concepts like "capitalization"? when will it end, graham? i can't do this forever... *cry cry*

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 07 Nov 2006, 13:41

Morgan wrote:vestigial language concepts like "capitalization"?

ves·tig·i·al (v-stj-l, -stjl)
adj.
Occurring or persisting as a rudimentary or degenerate structure.

I disagree, I think capitalization helps people read things in strings longer than one sentence.
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 07 Nov 2006, 14:02

the only sentence in which it creates an actual meaning difference is: I helped my uncle Jack off a horse vs. i helped my uncle jack off a horse. if you can avoid saying that exact sentence then you need not bother with capital letters.

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 07 Nov 2006, 14:44

It's not a meaning difference I'm talking about, I'm talking legibility.

Legible wrote:Again, if it makes us rofl, it is much more likely to be played. I want to try to do a q&a, so send in questions also. Right now there are no guidelines. Basically, if I want to answer your question, I will do so. It can be about absolutely anything. These don't have to be funny. Possibly more updates to this post to come. Possibly not.

Is more easy on the eyes of the reader than:

Illegible wrote:again, if it makes us rofl, it is much more likely to be played. i want to try to do a q&a, so send in questions also. right now there are no guidelines. basically, if i want to answer your question, i will do so. it can be about absolutely anything. these don't have to be funny. possibly more updates to this post to come. possibly not.

Why did your uncle need help jacking off a horse anyway? I thought that was his job.
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 07 Nov 2006, 14:52

it's because i'm the past master of the subtle art of jacking off horses.

Dana

Postby Dana » 07 Nov 2006, 19:24

Morgan is a wanker, after all.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."

"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
Simmemann

Postby Simmemann » 08 Nov 2006, 15:11

I have read wikipedia, listened to the one in the last episode, read about it in my norwegian schoolbook, but i still don't understand haikus. And because i dont understand them, i cant write one, then again i cant give you one. Makes me sad :(
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 08 Nov 2006, 15:42

Simmemann wrote:I have read wikipedia, listened to the one in the last episode, read about it in my norwegian schoolbook, but i still don't understand haikus. And because i dont understand them, i cant write one, then again i cant give you one. Makes me sad :(

Haiku are a type of non-rhyming poem. Instead of rhyme, the important part of the poem is syllables.

The first line of the poem must have five syllables.
The second has seven.
The last has five.

For example:

El-Ar-Ar, my love, (five syllables)
will you join me in a dance? (seven)
Oh... not tangible. (five again)
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Señor Rodrigo

Postby Señor Rodrigo » 08 Nov 2006, 15:57

I am somehow under the impression that, traditionally, they were marked out by the number of characters per line, rather than syllables, which are alien to most East Asian languages.

Also, I believe they were solely about nature, and, while they all exhibit the same symmetry, I think they can be in formats other than 5-7-5.

That would make the Western haiku kind of a bastardization of the original format, but the closest approximation which can exist in roman-style writing.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 08 Nov 2006, 16:02

Señor Rodrigo wrote:I am somehow under the impression that, traditionally, they were marked out by the number of characters per line, rather than syllables, which are alien to most East Asian languages.

Also, I believe they were solely about nature, and, while they all exhibit the same symmetry, I think they can be in formats other than 5-7-5.

That would make the Western haiku kind of a bastardization of the original format, but the closest approximation which can exist in roman-style writing.

It's actually more complicated than that, because Japanese tends to have a higher syllable-to-meaning ratio than English, so English haiku can express far more concepts than Japanese. Traditional Japanese haiku have certain rules that have to be followed, including the use of a special type of word.

Fortunately, Western haiku aren't bound by those strictures.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
'"
Señor Rodrigo

Postby Señor Rodrigo » 08 Nov 2006, 16:20

Melendwyr wrote:It's actually more complicated than that, because Japanese tends to have a higher syllable-to-meaning ratio than English

Yes, I used to be fairly fluent, so I was aware of that.

Melendwyr wrote:Traditional Japanese haiku have certain rules that have to be followed, including the use of a special type of word

This I was not aware of.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 08 Nov 2006, 16:35

Señor Rodrigo wrote:This I was not aware of.

Not only is the theme traditionally natural, but there has to be a "seasonal" word in the haiku. I am not certain what qualifies words as potentially viable, but I'm not versed in the art of constructing traditional Japanese poetry.
'"
Señor Rodrigo

Postby Señor Rodrigo » 08 Nov 2006, 16:38

Oooh! I remember that, actually, now that you mention it. It's been a while since I looked at any of that stuff.
diordna

Postby diordna » 24 Nov 2006, 12:48

Video submission #1 complete. I hope it was weird enough.

Now if I could only come up with a decent haiku.
Old enought to know better, young enough to do it anyway
anotherearth

Postby anotherearth » 25 Nov 2006, 20:11

Graham wrote:It's not a meaning difference I'm talking about, I'm talking legibility.

quote="Illegible"]again, if it makes us rofl, it is much more likely to be played. i want to try to do a q&a, so send in questions also. right now there are no guidelines. basically, if i want to answer your question, i will do so. it can be about absolutely anything. these don't have to be funny. possibly more updates to this post to come. possibly not.

Shouldn't "rofl" be capitalized since it's an acronym?
Just curious.
-chrispy
Dana

Postby Dana » 25 Nov 2006, 22:32

No. "Rofl: was officially added to the English language recently.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 18 Dec 2006, 14:46

Do you have any evidance of this?
Dana

Postby Dana » 18 Dec 2006, 23:01

Of course not.

Under13

Postby Under13 » 05 Jan 2007, 13:50

I just submitted haiku in the form of a PM instead of an email!

Oh ho ho! I am such the nonconformist.
<>{
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 06 Feb 2007, 17:12

Questions: I have several 'whatever' videos to submit. Do you want them all in one email, or seperate ones...?

Same thing with the haikus.
I can't think of a signature.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 06 Feb 2007, 18:39

CyberTractor wrote:Questions: I have several 'whatever' videos to submit. Do you want them all in one email, or seperate ones...?

Same thing with the haikus.

If they'll go through, all at once!
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 06 Feb 2007, 18:41

Less e-mail for them to open that way ;)
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009

Return to “Bonus Video”