Ask Kathleen!

For videos that aren't... y'know... "real". Whatever Thing, Phailhaüs, etc.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 15 Aug 2007, 07:42

I'm afraid that a lot of people wouldn't like that dudes. So here are some ask Kathleen answers:

Anachronism wrote:Dear Kathleen,

I am four and half months away from graduating with a 5-year degree in a highly specialized field where I'm doing a so-so job academically. However, in completing the final few requirements for said degree, I just now realized that it may not have been the best choice for me; I lost interest in a lot of the things we're doing and no longer see myself pursing a career in the field. Given that...

a.) I need reprimanding.
b.) What, in your opinion, are my options re: the rest of my life?
c.) A new academic year is about to begin in a few weeks. What advise can you give to college freshmen re: academics? (e.g. advise I could have used yeeears ago)
d.) I like The Killers.

I'm going to assume you're an engineer. (He he)
Ok, you're not happy with your degree, and now you're freaking out becuase you have to spend the rest of your life doing something you have no passion for.
No you don't!
It is a common misconception that you need to use your degree to work in your field. My degree is in Political Science, and I work for an energy company. My most useful skills are my newspaper layout and design ones, and I didn't learn those as part of my degree!!
My advice to you is this: Do not rush into another degree, instead work a bit to understand what you want to do with your life. Yes, you have a specialized degree, but that degree means you have a lot of organizational skills, and are intelligent. People look for those skills when they hire you! I suggest you cast your job search net wide, and apply on all sorts of different things. You will be surprized what you can do, if you are willing to do something new, and possibly re-locate.
Also, grades don't matter in the real world. Unless you want to go to grad school/get scholarships.

eiopqrtuwy wrote:I've been having alot of trouble keeping up with my school work in college. With school starting up soon, I was wondering:
What can I do to keep myself motivated to do all my schoolwork on time?

Ha ha! The eternal question of university. I had a hard time keeping up with all my assignments and reading and papers and other things, and I think everyone in the world does! My advice to you is to make a list of everything you have to do in a week, and organize it in order of priority, then keep going back to it during the week. Then make a calendar of the date of your midterms/lab assignments/papers for the semester.

It will remind you of things - "oh crap! That lab report is worth 5% of my final grade!!!", and help you pick what you do. "Hmm, I can do my math assingment for Math 260, which is worth 3% of my grade, but maybe I should go over my notes for Biology 300, which I'm not doing that well in, and there's a test coming up in 2 weeks...."

Good luck!
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 15 Aug 2007, 07:52

Sieg Reyu wrote: Romance problems... I live in Southern Illinois, she lives in Louisiana. Both 17

Well, this is a problem. You are totally crushing (thanks Strong Bad) on this girl, but you're both young, and you live in different states, and you know each other from the internet, so it's not like you can pop over there.
My advice to you is this. If this girl likes you too (ask her first! worst comes to worst she doesn't like you, which sucks, but you'll get over it) - you need to meet this girl in real life if you are going to sort your feelings for her. I suggest you get together with some of your friends and organize a road trip. Why?
Road trips are fun!
You'll be with your friends!
It will be a good adventure!
You're old enough to do this!
Even if the romance is a bust, you'll still have a time of your life experience with your buddies!!

Explain the situation to your friends. And travel either to Illinois, or somewhere where she can meet you and see if you hit it off in real life, if you feel the chemistry. If you do, possibly look into going to college in Illinois, or some place where you can go to school together. You're about to get old enough to start your own life, and if you really feel strongly about one another, that might be something to consider.

BUT IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT THIS PLAN, THEN YOU KNOW THE ANSWER. It is not meant to be.
Let me know if it works out.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Anachronism
Ret-con'd: Incorrect

Postby Anachronism » 22 Aug 2007, 13:40

Oh wow...Kathleen actually answered my question. Kick ass! I was eagerly awaiting another ask Kathleen video but given the circumstances, this form or response is understandable. I am finding that quite a few of my buddies (who have now graduated) are either going back to school or are working in a field unrelated to their major concentration. I just feel guilty spending all this time on a major and not utilising the specific skills we've been taught but, that's life I guess. Thank you for responding, Kathleen.

P.S. Interesting assumption about me being an engineer (along with my being intelligent and having good organizational skills) but I'm afraid you are mistaken. It's honestly a 1 in 4 chance, though, given my school; good try.
To LRR is human.
YourBlankFile

Postby YourBlankFile » 30 Mar 2008, 12:39

Deat Kathleen,

I'm considering moving to Canada for college due to my citizenship I've recently discovered. Anything I should know before I do this?

Inquisitively,
Blaise
Pirate Jack

Postby Pirate Jack » 01 Apr 2008, 18:48

YourBlankFile wrote:Deat Kathleen,

I'm considering moving to Canada for college due to my citizenship I've recently discovered. Anything I should know before I do this?

Inquisitively,
Blaise

I know I'm not Kathleen, and I'm not articulate, but I figure it can't hurt. I'll be tiny and non-invasive.

First off, if you're Canadian you might have access to cheaper Canadian university; however, in many cases, it may be dependent on residency. Check that out. It's important. Could save you thousands of dollars. We also have both public and private universities, which also can have a big impact on price.

Secondly, if you don't want to freeze to death you should consider coming to Victoria. It's sunny and there are tons of bunny rabbits, but it's a fairly expensive city to live in. If you like the cold (or hate rabbits), there's always the rest of Canada.

Lastly, Canadians are generally fairly kind people, however there is a lot of anti-Americanism. People aren't going to hate you because of it, but there will probably be jokes.
Graham and Paul signed my Wiimote. I never have to do anything cool ever again.
Borkz

Postby Borkz » 02 Apr 2008, 13:35

Dear Kathleen,

Fox or Falco? Theyre like the same person.

Adjectively,
Borkz
S.Talker

Postby S.Talker » 05 Apr 2008, 07:30

Is this the official 'Ask Kathleen' thread? There's another one that also claims to be the real one.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 05 Apr 2008, 09:22

As the other one was the one where the questions from the Phailhause came from, I'd recommend using that thread to ask questions.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 Apr 2008, 10:50

Master Gunner wrote:As the other one was the one where the questions from the Phailhause came from, I'd recommend using that thread to ask questions.

Yeah, this one is oooooold. Use the other one.

Return to “Bonus Video”