SF 4 Online

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Brinson

Re: SF 4 Online

Postby Brinson » 09 Oct 2009, 08:12

Quite honestly, unless you're playing Rose, Claw, or Dan... tiers don't matter that much. Unless you're playing at an ultra competitive high level. Pick a character and STICK with it. Don't flop around, it won't help you.

Also: www.shoryuken.com

Best amount of info for every character on the forums, you'll get everything you need from combos, matchups and frame data.
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 09 Oct 2009, 10:16

Dan can be a beast if used right, high stamina and that ultra is so easy to pop sometimes it catches people off, also gouken and fei long are rather good and as such not garbage
kilgr20
First Video: Halo

Postby kilgr20 » 09 Oct 2009, 10:26

wedrinkritalin wrote:Dan can be a beast if used right, high stamina and that ultra is so easy to pop sometimes it catches people off, also gouken and fei long are rather good and as such not garbage

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/

Dan is absolutely WORST in game.
If you watch the movie 'Jaws' backwards, its a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 09 Oct 2009, 10:33

I also have it for PS3. Not great at it but I enjoy the fight over the win. KageKobura.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 09 Oct 2009, 11:16

Brinson wrote:Best amount of info for every character on the forums, you'll get everything you need from combos, matchups and frame data.

Seriously, what ever happened to the good old days when you'd pick up a video game and figure it out for yourself?

When I was a kid, we didn't have this fancy internet thing. We turned on the game, and damn it, we played it until our eyes bled. And we were the kings. Other kids from the neighbourhood would come over to play Mortal Kombat 2 and we'd obliterate them.

Now you just go online and memorize a couple directions from other people who played a game, suddenly you're wiping the floor with people who actually put their work in.

I remember when you would turn a video system on and it would immediately jump to the game. None of this "Entertainment Hub" bull. You turn the stystem on, if there's no game you got a blue screen. Now you kids today with your hard drives and your tabs. And would you get off my damn lawn?!?
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Brinson

Postby Brinson » 09 Oct 2009, 12:00

lmao. LMAO.

you try figuring out Balrog's cr. jab x 2 link to cr. short to HP Headbutt without someone else putting up the data or seeing the timing beforehand. Any casual player (like myself) would never be able to figure that out. If I want to play the game to my absolute limit, seeing data like that is needed. There's no possible way I'd be able to play online without knowing almost all of that imformation posted.

Like how do I handle cross-ups and mix up game with Balrog? He has nothing reliable on wake up that's safe. How do I juggle his ultra? I just realized I'm arguing with a guy who can't even do an SRK on a pad. Nevermind.

I know most of the post was a joke, but seriously... I just hate this "old school" gamer elitist attitude. I've been playing games since I was 2 - 3 years old, and I'm 25 now.
Brinson

Postby Brinson » 09 Oct 2009, 12:03

kilgr20 wrote:
wedrinkritalin wrote:Dan can be a beast if used right, high stamina and that ultra is so easy to pop sometimes it catches people off, also gouken and fei long are rather good and as such not garbage

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/

Dan is absolutely WORST in game.

I'll say it again: This is a tier based off two extremely evenly matched, HIGH TOURNAMENT level players. There will never be a 100% agreement on tier lists other than Sagat is usually near the top. Most players (like ourselves) if you put in the work, the character will work. Sure, some take a fuck ton more work than others, but that's besides the point. ALL CHARACTERS ARE VIABLE UNLESS YOU'RE MAKING MONEY PLAYING SF4. Which I highly highly doubt you're not.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 09 Oct 2009, 18:57

I remember Gen of Alpha 3. There was a kickass character... what happened to that wonderfully sweet awesome Gen? WHAT HAPPENED?!
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 10 Oct 2009, 03:51

There is tiers but with practice a really good dan can humiliate an average sagat,
kilgr20
First Video: Halo

Postby kilgr20 » 12 Oct 2009, 06:23

I agree I was just posting the tier listing up since there was some talk bout Ken being OP and other such talk.

Personally I don't really play Street Fighter 4 but I do play Blazblue in casual tournys in edmonton and stuff like that. I personally play Noel who bout mid tier, and I manage to do alright versus high tier people. So of course tiers aren't going to make all the difference for you but if you're a new player at a game. I would recommend picking someone at least in the upper tier bracket for any game. You're going to find more enjoyment out of winning occasionally online with a high tier player then you're going to get out of losing with a low tier player until you're good enough with them to overcome the tier.
If you watch the movie 'Jaws' backwards, its a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.
ExtraSensory
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby ExtraSensory » 20 Oct 2009, 16:21

I'm on 360 and down to play anytime. Just send me a friend invite and let me know you're from the LRR Forums.
Gamertag is ExtraSensory
Last edited by ExtraSensory on 23 Oct 2009, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Kag

Postby Kag » 21 Oct 2009, 14:56

lmao. LMAO.

you try figuring out Balrog's cr. jab x 2 link to cr. short to HP Headbutt without someone else putting up the data or seeing the timing beforehand. Any casual player (like myself) would never be able to figure that out. If I want to play the game to my absolute limit, seeing data like that is needed. There's no possible way I'd be able to play online without knowing almost all of that imformation posted.

That's a pretty bad example. You can figure out the cancel mechanics on Rog's normals with just a few minutes of experimentation. The whole combo is pretty immediately obvious after that.

EX loops less so, but you really only need to notice that the EX upper has way less recovery, which is apparent just doing the move. The timing is hard, but it should be easy to tell that the combo is possible.

The only thing he has that would be hard to figure out is maybe the Super Armor Ultra Cancel, which actually happens kind of often just by accident.

I mean someone had to figure this shit out. It's not THAT hard.

Still though, if you're beating someone, obviously they didn't put in the work, so it doesn't really matter.

Like how do I handle cross-ups and mix up game with Balrog? He has nothing reliable on wake up that's safe
Uh, does anyone?

Whatever. TAP is generally the best option on wakeup, since it basically only loses to throws or perfectly timed hits and is safe on block (you should only be using level 1 charge here). If it looks like they're going to throw, drop your TAP and use the option select low tech or just tech it straight.

"Mixup games" doesn't mean anything out of context (i.e. WHOSE mixup games?), but TAP beats crossups just about every time*. If you're not comfortable with that, charge it with kicks just in case and throw out a Jab Headbutt while they're in the air (watch out for safe jump-ins. Seriously).

Generally wakeup isn't a huge issue for Balrog because he has god-tier footsies, though. It's only against serious rushdown characters that he should ever really have to think about that, and the tactic in those cases varies pretty greatly from character to character.

Yes I main Balrog. No I am not all that good.

ALL CHARACTERS ARE VIABLE UNLESS YOU'RE MAKING MONEY PLAYING SF4.

All characters are basically viable anyway (Lol @ JWongg beasting with Fei).

Console characters are relatively weaker, yeah, but they're still plenty usable. This isn't Marvel.

Also Dan's Ultra beats damn near every move in the game clean. He can be beastly in the right hands.

UNRELATED, apparently the internet is better here, now, so I'll probably be playing a lot more starting this weekend.

*I should be more precise, here. You should pass through the crossup with invincibility frames, but depending on the timing, you may go flying towards the edge of the screen instead of landing it on them, similar to what happens using it against Vega's wall moves.

Edit: I should also mention that it's been a while since I played, and all of that was basically from memory. I'll look into it some more and see if there's any new tricks for dealing with this stuff.
ExtraSensory

Postby ExtraSensory » 23 Oct 2009, 00:05

Just thought I'd throw this out there, a close friend of mine went to an event this weekend and fought Justin Wong. He lost, as expected, but it was pretty sweet that he got to play him. There's even pictures of him playing J.Wong.
Kag

Postby Kag » 25 Oct 2009, 23:14

Turns out I did forget one. EX Dash Upper is amazing against ambiguous jumpins in general.

Also I played a bit today and Thor help me I am out of practice. Everyone friend me on the xbawks so I can play you and get back to not sucking.

Also, prepare yourselves. I'm learning Dan.
Brinson

Postby Brinson » 26 Oct 2009, 11:58

i want to reply to your post kag but i broke 2 bones in my left hand and that's too much typing. i'm not the greatest player but i want to learn abel/honda along with Rog.

it'll be a few weeks till i'm able to play.
ExtraSensory

Postby ExtraSensory » 26 Oct 2009, 22:02

Kag, (AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO WANTS TO FIGHT ON XBL) add me, Gamertag is ExtraSensory. I need some people to practice my Fei Long on.
Kag

Postby Kag » 02 Nov 2009, 20:49

After some more playing I'm going to revise my previous statements on Balrog's wakeup game.

TAP if they're going to focus. It beats everything (if they do it early it'll whiff and you'll hit them, if they do it late you'll armor break, if they try to cancel you'll hit or be safe on block) unless they perfectly time it, which is basically impossible. In general you should start charging it any time you go down, because there's very little else you can do against wakeup focus (Headbutt, surprisingly, becomes an armor breaking move when it's a reversal, so if you time it perfectly, it'll work. Hard to do consistently, though)

Option select low tech (c. LP+LK) if they're in throw range. Be ready to cancel the c.short into a rush straight

EX Upper if they're trying to cross you up. TAP can also work for this. If you somehow master the autocorrect, jab headbutt will usually connect. Generally the smartest option is to either focus or just block it.

Those are the things you have to worry about. If they let you stand up without any trouble, just start charging or throw out a poke or whatever.

And of course: when in doubt, backdash.

ExtraSensory, I'm adding you right now. My GT is Reruns in case you forgot.

Return to “Video Games”