Building a PC

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Space Jump

Building a PC

Postby Space Jump » 08 Oct 2009, 15:52

For a while now, I've been realizing that I'm going to need to pick up a new PC - our old Dell desktop has been slowly dying. Now, I've had terrible luck picking up pre-bundled computers at places like Future Shop and Best Buy, and I've generally heard that the best way to go about getting a new PC is to build it yourself.

Now, putting it together is (hopefully) no problem - I'm more than happy to figure that out. I bought a handy guide back in '08 as to how to actually physically put it together... but of course all the parts it recommends are horribly out of date by now. Besides, since it was an advertising-driven guide, I take the advice in it with a grain of salt.

I'm looking for a gaming rig, but it doesn't have to be the top of the line computer of the future. Something that won't become obsolete within days of purchase... something that will handle my games (Mostly things like Civ 4, Spore, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 when they come out) and my girlfriend's Sims addiction (Sims 3 plus the myriad expansion packs they will no doubt release). I'll be using an LCD HDTV as my monitor.

So my question to you guys is: What should I be looking for if I am going to build myself a PC? What specific parts (type of graphics card, hard drive, etc.) - and why? What vendor do you use? I've heard of NCIX and newegg.ca . How much should I spend? I am a student, so money is a consideration.

Basically, any PC building advice you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Re: Building a PC

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 08 Oct 2009, 16:00

You really don't need a powerful pc to play those games.
You should build a computer with mid range parts such as Phenom II CPU and an ATI 4770 would be more than enough to play those games.

Also I don't suggest using a TV as a monitor, they are low resolution and most are a bit large to be seen up close.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 08 Oct 2009, 16:12

the 4770 is mid range to you?

I spent 300 bucks on the main components of my system, motherboard(which I would recommend shelling out a bit more for), RAM, CPU and graphics card.

I have an AMD athlon 64 X2 5200+ processor.
I have an nVidia 8400 GS PCIe graphics card.
I have 2 gigs of RAM.

I'm able to run more or less any recent game at mid range specs. If you add in the cost of the case, optical drive, and harddrive, a new computer with more than decent stuff in it need only cost like 700-900 dollars.

This is CAD, but that's close to the USD these days.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 08 Oct 2009, 17:27

That was basically my computer a few years ago, I barely considered it mid range then.

I know for a fact current games don't run well on an 8400, and even older games need to be played at lower resolutions.

I highly suggest you upgrade sometime soon.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 08 Oct 2009, 17:35

This _was_ my upgrade.

I bought all this two months ago. What do you consider "current games" and "lower res?"

If you're some kind of elitest who can't stand 1280x1024, which is the hard cap of my SCREEN because its from 6 years ago, and literally "medium" or "high" depending on the spec on games like Batman Arkham Asylum (I even run Crysis, that hell of a game, on medium specs) to be below mid range, then, well, that's another issue. I'm even playing Mirror's Edge all topped with 4x AA.

Compared to running everything low like I was two months ago, this is balling, and compared to my girlfriend's system (and those of her father), there really isn't much difference to me.

I just want a SATA hard drive...
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 08 Oct 2009, 17:43

You bought all that two months ago and you opted for an 8400 GS? 50 dollar video card...Not exactly what I'd be suggesting to anybody who wants to play games of any recent release.

Really, what we need from you is a price range. I can come up with a list of parts that can work for any budget.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 08 Oct 2009, 17:46

Actually it was on sale for 30 dollars, which was why I could afford to get such a good one.

And I really wish I was joking. I used to be playing games on the TNT Rage before this. Look it up. It's one hell of an ancient card. And that was the best one in my house.
Space Jump

Postby Space Jump » 08 Oct 2009, 19:02

To be honest, I know that the games I mentioned don't always require the highest level of quality - but that's partially because I've been severely limited in my PC gaming abilities - my current computer is very old, and so I think the last new game I actually bought was Civ 4. And even it doesn't run well. So most of my gaming has been console-based. BUT, there are games coming out soon (Mass Effect II, Mafia II, etc) that are starting to pique my interest, so yeah - I'd hope to be able to run current/new games too.

Also, thanks for the advice on the TV as monitor thing - I'll take that into consideration (though I may have to keep it that way, at least for a bit).
Space Jump

Postby Space Jump » 08 Oct 2009, 19:05

Oh, and Left 4 Dead 1 and 2. Would like to run those.
iEatNinjaZ

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 08 Oct 2009, 19:53

Yeah a 4770 or a Nvidia 9600 would be great for Left 4 Dead.
They are also a bit future proof.

A decent dual or quad core at ~$100 would be good enough.
2gb ram for xp or 4 for Vista/win7 preferably 800mhz+
400Gb minimum sata harddrive
then whatever case/ accessories you would like.

You can easily build one for well under $500 w/o monitor
kilgr20
First Video: Halo

Postby kilgr20 » 12 Oct 2009, 06:33

If we had a price range of that you're looking into it would be easier to suggest a complete computer. It would seem that mid range is quite different in peoples opinions.
If you watch the movie 'Jaws' backwards, its a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.
davefp

Postby davefp » 12 Oct 2009, 07:50

kilgr20 wrote:If we had a price range of that you're looking into it would be easier to suggest a complete computer. It would seem that mid range is quite different in peoples opinions.

^This. Also, knowing where you're from would help too.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 12 Oct 2009, 09:45

Buy a motherboard made by Gigabyte, a processor made by Intel (probably a Core 2 Duo for cost efficiency. This means an LGA775 mobo), a graphics card made by Nvidia, and RAM made by OCZ. This will be the cheapest way to go and still get good parts.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 12 Oct 2009, 09:58

AMD makes better parts at the mid range level that are cheaper.

If you're looking at a quad core, go intel. If you are looking at a dual core 'general usage (NOT crazy ripping/encoding audio and the kind)' go AMD. Otherwise, go back to intel.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 12 Oct 2009, 10:04

The problem I've had with AMD is actually the motherboards for them tend to be either expensive or crap.
theashigaru
First Video: The Con

Postby theashigaru » 16 Oct 2009, 11:36

I built an AMD quad-core based system about 6 months ago and it has been completely superb thus far.

The Phenom IIs hit a price point well below the Core i7s and I would say that you aren't going to notice any difference in game performance between a Phenom II 955 and a Core i7 920. Both support DDR3 which now makes them about equal.
As far as video cards go, I think its safe to say that a Radeon HD4870 is comparable to an Nvidia 9800GTX. Prices there run about the same too, though the 9800 might be a tad cheaper.
RAM isn't that hard to pick out, just find some with good reviews and make sure its compatible with your mobo.
The motherboard is most certainly the toughest decision. You can go expensive, with the most PCIE slots (triple SLI anyone?) and lots of space for RAM and probably a longer half-life as far as any tech product goes with upgradability. The other option is to go budget with just enough features to get you through the current generation of products, which will basically be whatever you get to put on the board when you buy it.
The second option sounds more like what you're looking for, but the problem is, those boards are numerous and some, not all that good. I would recommend against spending less than $100 on a mobo. For between $100 and $150 You can usually get good quality motherboards with a good amount of features. Finding out which ones will work with your chosen processor really eliminates quite a bit, and from there, just find ones with features you want and then try googling the product for reviews. Many tech sites write them, so you'll probably get a good feel for a mobo's quality through those.

Anyway, thats some of the process I went through to build my PC. I hope it helped some!
Is it safe?
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 16 Oct 2009, 22:57

I built a rig that was WAY to high end, If anything I would suggest building a PC from good mid-range parts if you just intend to do minor gaming. And Newegg is one of the best places to get parts. Defiantly keep quality in mind when buying computer parts. Trusted manufacturers and the like are always good and LOOK AT REVIEWS from others, it really helps when making the decision.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Bruze&Badder

Postby Bruze&Badder » 17 Oct 2009, 19:02

We just put together two Core i7 systems (socket 1366 920's) for both of us.
If you decide to go w/ the Intel Core series I recommend the 1366 LGA mobo over the 1156, triple channel memory and room to upgrade to the 6 core i9 chip coming out next year. If you go with the 1156 there are limitations to your memory and PCIe setup (half speed of the 1366) in comparison.
We had the money so we both got 5770's for video cards, but well worth the extra $50.00-$75.00 you will spend on that, especially since you are talking about wanting to play certain future games. I highly suggest you save as much money from now until boxing day and then jump on what sales you can find on the parts you need to get this done. We waited and saved 3/4 of the year and it has definitely been worth the patience. Our systems on a heavy gamer prospective are considered in the mid-range, and all told both systems together bottom to top complete with Windows 7 is around $3400.00. Half that, and shave a few more hundred off the price tag and you will still have a sweet system.
<---- AVATAR IN VIOLATION OF GOOD TASTE LAW 603-Z4
iEatNinjaZ

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 17 Oct 2009, 19:13

In price to performance ratio I suggest i5/Phenom II over i7 any day.

Return to “Video Games”