Another MW2 boycott of a more personal sort.

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Another MW2 boycott of a more personal sort.

Postby Metcarfre » 30 Oct 2009, 10:52

As many of you are aware, Call of Duty; Modern Warfare 2 is being released on November 10th. I, like many of you, am excited to play the sequel to the great CoD4.

However, the day after, November 11th, is Remembrance Day in Canada and in many other places, as well as Veteran's day in the US. A day of remembrance for all those soldiers that have fought and died (and continue to die) for our various countries.

It seems disrespectful to me, then, to be playing a war game on such a day. Therefore, in honour of my family (such as my great grandfather, who flew in WW1 at the age of 14) who have served in the past, and family and friends that do serve now in Afghanistan (several are there right now, and my soon-to-be-brother-in-law will ship out next year), I will not be playing the game, nor any other war game on November 11th.

Again this is a personal thing and I'm not trying to start a movement or anything. If you agree, great. If not, well that's you're right. I just hope we all can take a moment, pause, and reflect on such things on that day.

Finally, I encourage all Canadians to go out, buy a poppy, and wear it with pride over the next two weeks.

Thanks for your consideration.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Re: Another MW2 boycott of a more personal sort.

Postby InsaneFool » 30 Oct 2009, 11:02

I'll be buying a Poppy like I do every year, good for you for doing this...Hopefully it catches on.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Oct 2009, 11:08

I was certainly surprised when I heard about this, you'd think they'd have a bit more tact when deciding release dates. Not that I was going to get MW2 then anyways, but I'm going to follow along with not playing any games (at least, violent ones) then either.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 30 Oct 2009, 11:44

Now I was already not buying this game, but I 100% agree that selecting this date was tasteless.
InsaneFool

Postby InsaneFool » 30 Oct 2009, 11:45

Come to think of it...hasn't Infinity Ward released all of its Call of Duty games on November 10th/11th?
Follow me on Twitter
Kag

Postby Kag » 30 Oct 2009, 11:59

No, only CoD5 was, which is a Treyarch game.
InsaneFool

Postby InsaneFool » 30 Oct 2009, 12:03

Oh true...I was a bit confused because they were all released around that time, but mostly earlier than Remembrance Day like the 6-7th of November or the end of October.
Follow me on Twitter
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 30 Oct 2009, 14:37

For fuck's sake this is fucking retarded.

November is prime holiday shopping real estate. November 10 is a fucking tuesday people. Tuesday is when new game releases come out.

Guess what, November 6, 2007 (COD4) was also a Tuesday. Novemeber 11, 2008(COD5) was also a Tuesday. November 7, 2006 (COD3) was a Tuesday. November 15, 2005 (COD2) was a fucking Tuesday.

Oh my god, they are so inconsiderate to Veterans.

These are the days they release games! This is how it works!
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 30 Oct 2009, 14:47

I think it is tactlessly hilarious.

It made for a good ENN joke. After that, it's normal.

If they were releasing it on a wednesday, which was the 11th, I'd be pissed, but a TUESDAY?

Don't play games that day. I respect that with all my heart, but Genghis Ares is right. It's tuesday.
Last edited by theDreamer on 30 Oct 2009, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 30 Oct 2009, 14:48

That's fine. Personally, I'm not going to be playing it on the 11th. Is that OK with you?

I will, however, be purchasing it on the 10th. And be playing it on the 12th, if I'm allowed (my fiance's visiting from the 10th through the weekend).
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 30 Oct 2009, 15:03

Okay, let's go by this.

We can't release war related games around Rememberance Day, so November 9th-12th, off limits.

South Africa celebrates their Day of Reconciliation on December 16th. So, no releases between December 14th-17th.

The UK celebrates the Battle of Britain Day on September 15th. So, the 13th-16th is off limits.

Scotland celebrates Bannockburn Day on June 24th. June 22nd-25th. No releases.

Japan celebrates Constitution Day on May 3rd. May 1st-4th, gone.

China celebrates Army's Day on August 1st...

Do you see where this is going?
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 30 Oct 2009, 16:21

Pop quiz: Are you people FUCKING STUPID?

The big thing about both the Medal of Honour and Call of Duty games is... They don't glorify war. If anything, they make you realize how fucking brutal it is, and how much of it is blood, grit and dirt, and not very beautiful at all.

Medal of Honour games and (Edit: MANY) Call of Duty games are released around Remembrance Day. Are you guys only catching on now? Are you INTENTIONALLY DAFT?!

It's not tactLESS, it's a FUCKING DIRECT HONOUR TO SOLDIERS AND THE EVENTS THAT HAPPENED IN THE PAST. Granted, MW2 is about the future, but that's pure sophistry if you want to bring that in.

Long story short: Shut up.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Kag

Postby Kag » 30 Oct 2009, 17:12

theDreamer wrote: It's tuesday.

For you, the day Modern Warfare 2 came out was the most important day of your life. For me,

IT WAS TUESDAY.
Niveus Leo

Postby Niveus Leo » 30 Oct 2009, 17:57

Well I completely agree with honoring veterans, as they deserve our eternal respect, would not living out our daily lives be more of a way to honor them? Maybe I am wrong, but is this not what they fought and died for? For us to be able to live in a free country (country's) and be able to live our lives as we see fit? I completely do not disagree with honoring them though and if you personally feel that not playing war games on this day is the best way to honor them then by all means I encourage you to.

I feel however, the best thing to do is honor them in our thoughts and prayers and live and enjoy our lives as we see fit. This is just my take on it and like I said if you feel differently I encourage you to honor them as you see fit because they do definitely and without question deserve it.

General George S. Patton once said "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long with so little, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing." Anonymous
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 30 Oct 2009, 23:26

It's completely done on purpose on there part. i can't fault them for good marketing

To the people saying it's as an honour to Vets that's bullshit, it's marketing. Gabe from penny arcade actually did an interview with his grandpa who was a WW2 vet at one point showing him various games based around the war. I don't think he ever published it due to it becoming too personal (I could be wrong though).

The gist of it though was definitely put on their site, basically his grandpa said, I fought so people can do what they want with there lives, but I don't know why the hell anybody would want to play a game about something like this when they don't have to.

My grandpa was russian soldier in the war as well, I still wear his jacket from it.

That being said I'll play it as soon as it gets to my door. but then I'm not a big fan or arbitrary dates we set aside for people, and generally take the time to sit down and talk with people who lived through such events as often as possible, which seems like a better way to honour them.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 30 Oct 2009, 23:59

Don't get me wrong - I have better ways of honouring and understanding the dead and the heroic than playing video games. But it's an immersive way to do it, and it accomplishes it fairly well, if you ask me.

Myself, I read books!
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 31 Oct 2009, 00:11

You can see it as disrespectful, you can see it as honoring the whatever de bloo de blah bloo.

I intend to see it as "The Day it comes out", and I won't play it anyway =P
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 31 Oct 2009, 01:20

That really is a sick time to realise it, fucking joining you man, all of my dads side of the family are veterans or serving atm, can't play this given the fact that they're realising a game based on warfare on a day dedicated to the solomness of wars
Brinson

Postby Brinson » 31 Oct 2009, 02:18

Kag wrote:
theDreamer wrote: It's tuesday.

For you, the day Modern Warfare 2 came out was the most important day of your life. For me,

IT WAS TUESDAY.

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah

best post on any forums i've seen in a long time.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 31 Oct 2009, 04:07

I'm more with Allen! here. Not so much with the glorification and much more with the remembrance.

Last year, I was still big into TF2, and on the 11th, the store was naturally closed, and I found myself up early nonetheless and just fired up Steam.

I was trying to improve my sniping ability and was on a map that was just two buildings fronting each other over an impassible chasm - sniper heaven. I was having mixed success but getting better at 'shoot and scoot', when someone chatted "11th hour". I glanced at the clock and it was 7:30am here in newfoundland - 11am in england.

Everybody stopped. A couple of people started typing out lines from "In Flanders' Fields", and a lot of us joined in, making things pretty confused. After that took about ten minutes, we agreed to 'get back to work'.

Maybe about 2pm GMT (or 10:30 my time) I stopped to ask what timezone everyone was in (from cover, naturally). A chunk of gmt'ers, myself, a pair of players in atlantic, another big chunk on the east coast, one guy in central, and a couple of insomniacs on Pacific time.

And without even saying anything, we stopped again as each timezone reached the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month. We shared stories; I told 'em what little I knew of my father's father who served and survived the trenches, then went into the Home Guard in WW2 and went through that war without ever seeing a German.

Yeah, gamers are a bunch of sacreligious jerks who have no respect for those who did what they had to so that we might do what we want to today. :roll:
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 31 Oct 2009, 08:12

Wow, some of you are really taking this personally...

Metcarfre specifically stated he was making a personal choice on this, and not trying to start a movement or convince anyone else to do what he was doing. He's not attacking people's sense of respect, and he's not bashing Infinity Ward for their choice of release date; all he's saying is that he won't be playing the game on Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day.

There is absolutely zero need for name-calling in this thread. Genghis and Allen, I'm looking at you two specifically: where's the love? Don't fight flashlights with napalm.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 31 Oct 2009, 11:46

It's so effective though.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 31 Oct 2009, 12:05

I left the love back in 'Nam, Tim. And my personal opinion is that people who find it disrespectful to release a war related game near a war related holiday are insultingly wrong. NOT TRYING TO START A MOVEMENT OR ANYTHING, but if you AGREE, fine.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 31 Oct 2009, 13:06

Where did I do any name-calling?
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 31 Oct 2009, 14:24

How is playing a game based on warfare thats released on one day any different than playing it released on any other day?
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*

Return to “Video Games”