Gamers vs Everything

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Gamers vs Everything

Postby Arius » 10 Nov 2009, 16:56

It's come to hit me that gamers have been complaining a lot more than usual lately.

It seems everyone is finding something to scream about in gaming now. First it was a new game in a successful series not being exclusive to a single console (FF XIII). Then it was that Valve was making a sequel to a highly successful game. Then it was Valve punishing cheaters and rewarding people who didn't cheat. Now it's that PC gamers are being treated the same as console gamers.

Where did this come from?

Is it really a huge problem if a Final Fantasy game is not exclusive to a single console manufacturer? It started on Nintendo anyway.

Is it really a big deal that Valve managed to come up with enough things for a new game that they decided to release a whole new game?

Should cheaters get the same treatment as those who don't?

Is it really that bad that people playing MW2 on a computer will not get special treatment?

Seriously. It seems that gamers are beginning to feel like they're owed something. We're not. We buy games, not stock. So why the hell is everyone getting so pissed off about these things suddenly?

My theory: Lack of Jack Thompson. When he was out there waving his dick at traffic, we had a common enemy. Now, we're turning on eachother and the companies that give us the products we love so much.

Guys, if we keep fighting like this, Jack Thompson wins.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: Gamers vs Everything

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Nov 2009, 17:00

Uh, I don't really see any increase. We've always complained about these kinds of things, even when Jack Thompson was around. What growth there is can be mostly attributed to a growing population, so there are more people available to complain.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Arius

Postby Arius » 10 Nov 2009, 17:02

Nah, we complained, but we complained about real problems.

Seriously, these new problems are things that no one has ever felt the need to complain about since the beginning of the universe.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 10 Nov 2009, 18:07

None of us got enough hugs?
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Arius

Postby Arius » 10 Nov 2009, 18:09

Vaughn wrote:None of us got enough hugs?

Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 10 Nov 2009, 19:04

I take issue with pc gamers being treated like console gamers, when it should be the other way around. Thats about it.

I don't take issue with any of the valve things mentioned. I don't take issue with the final fantasy things.

I don't really take issue with anything other than people losing things in games that they've paid for. IE. I buy monster hunter for the ps2. It shuts down its servers. I can't play game online anymore. Thanks capcom for robbing me of functionality I paid for.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Niveus Leo

Postby Niveus Leo » 10 Nov 2009, 19:10

No we are not "owed" anything, but unless we "complain" and state what we want in our games there is no chance at all we will get it. I do not think there is anything wrong with voicing your opinion one way or the other. The only way we get changed is someone (or usually a lot of people) express displeasure at the current situation and someone dose something about it. I am not saying we are accomplishing anything but I do not see why we should not at least TRY.

(and for the record arius I am not angry at your comments I understand that listening to people complain gets irritating but I think if your unhappy you should complain (or better if you have power do something about it unfortunately we don't, well I am doing the closest thing to that I can by getting my degree in Gaming and Simulation Programming and it IS honestly things I am unhappy about with gaming that made me want to pursue this career.)
Last edited by Niveus Leo on 10 Nov 2009, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long with so little, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing." Anonymous
Arius

Postby Arius » 10 Nov 2009, 19:13

My problem is more or less the people saying things like:

"They just released a game a year ago, they can't release another one. It should be DLC."

"What? Final Fantasy XIII is going to be on the 360? It's ruined!"

"Why did Valve take away my hats? All I did was use an outside program to make it seem like I'm idling in the game so that I could collect the hats. All I did was break the EULA."

"Modern Warfare 2 has no dedicated servers? BURN THE FUCKIGN WITCH!"
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 10 Nov 2009, 19:14

I don't think there's been any more complaining than usual. But there has definitely been a lot more of these bullshit boycotts.

Shadow Complex
L4D2
MW2
I know there's been more but I can't think of them right now.
Niveus Leo

Postby Niveus Leo » 10 Nov 2009, 19:18

Oh that was fast, Arius if you didn't get a chance check out my edit above but, yes your right the kind of mindless hatred without a real opinion is irritating as hell. But there are some valid points to be made, they should just be made in a calm, respectful, and thoughtful manor. Often times they are not and it is to bad because if they were I think more people would be willing to listen to, usually, valid concerns.
"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long with so little, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing." Anonymous
Arius

Postby Arius » 10 Nov 2009, 19:30

The thing is, people are acting like they have a sense of entitlement. If a game doesn't have something you want in it, the developers don't owe you for it. If you cheat in a game, the developers don't owe you the things you got. If you bought a(n overrated) game, the developers don't owe you DLC.

It's one thing to not like a game, but trying to tell everyone not to buy a game because it doesn't have something you're used to is not giving an opinion. People are in such an uproar about MW2 now. I get that people are used to the things that weren't put in. But the developers are not taking anything away, they're making the game as they see fit. Just because you're used to something doesn't mean it has to be a part of the experience.

IW decided to try something new. It could work. If you don't like it, fine. But the amount of anger and foaming at the mouth that has been happening is far overboard.

Even if you're just upset about it and not causing issues, you have to remember that it's just something different. That's all.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 10 Nov 2009, 21:00

Arius wrote:Is it really that bad that people playing MW2 on a computer will not get special treatment?

It's not "special" treatment- it's the same treatment that everyone else gives us, and that they gave us before this. It's a direct result of us having keyboards and shit and being able to competently use them.
Arius

Postby Arius » 10 Nov 2009, 21:05

TomBrend wrote:
Arius wrote:Is it really that bad that people playing MW2 on a computer will not get special treatment?

It's not "special" treatment- it's the same treatment that everyone else gives us, and that they gave us before this. It's a direct result of us having keyboards and shit and being able to competently use them.

I mean as opposed to console gamers.

Just because everyone else gives you the ability to mod, or dedicated servers, does not mean IW has to. They aren't taking anything away. They're just not giving anything extra.

If consoles had dedicated servers, but PCs didn't, that would be taking something away.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 10 Nov 2009, 21:10

Putting IW on the back burner, so to speak, it seems to me that any game discussed instantly reverts to its flaws, no matter how good. Look at the threads on this page - The FF Rant, etc. - the majority are compendiums of various game's (minor) flaws. For someone, like me, who doesn't play a lot of games, it's very disconcerting.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 10 Nov 2009, 21:18

Arius wrote:
TomBrend wrote:

I mean as opposed to console gamers.

Just because everyone else gives you the ability to mod, or dedicated servers, does not mean IW has to. They aren't taking anything away. They're just not giving anything extra.

If consoles had dedicated servers, but PCs didn't, that would be taking something away.

SHENANIGANS!

As much as I hate to dredge up old arguments (oh, wait, that's not me...):

CoD4: ModWar (PC) - *has* dedicated servers, console commands and customization, custom maps, player-based admin rights,...

CoD4: ModWar2 (PC) - does NOT have these things.

ergo

These features have been taken away by the same company that have provided them in previous instalments of a gaming franchise.

also:
metcarfre wrote:...it seems to me that any game discussed instantly reverts to its flaws, no matter how good.

Well, that tends to be human nature; if one is given a meal that is almost perfect, the diner will focus on the 10% failing, not the 90% success. I think it's part of the drive that improves and betters things, people, societies and the like; progress does not spring from contentment and being satisfied with what you have.

I remember reading this saying once, and it seems to apply here:

"Reform always comes from below. No one with four acee howls for a new deal."
Arius

Postby Arius » 10 Nov 2009, 21:22

TES 3: Morrowind had the isle of Morrowind in it.

TES 4: Oblivion did not.

No one complained, because each game stands on its own.

MW had them, sure. That's a different game.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 10 Nov 2009, 21:26

metcarfre wrote:Putting IW on the back burner, so to speak, it seems to me that any game discussed instantly reverts to its flaws, no matter how good. Look at the threads on this page - The FF Rant, etc. - the majority are compendiums of various game's (minor) flaws. For someone, like me, who doesn't play a lot of games, it's very disconcerting.

OMG, somewhat criticising a medium! Whatever shall we do!?
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Nov 2009, 21:27

Your analogy makes no sense though, that's just a change in setting for the purposes of telling a story. While I haven't played it yet, I'd place good odds on ModWar2 taking place somewhere different than ModWar1.

If TES 4 did not have the ability to say, change resolution, which you could do in TES 3, that would be comparable, and people would complain about it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Arius

Postby Arius » 10 Nov 2009, 21:37

My point was that each game should be based on its own merits.

Like I said somewhere on this forum, they could make MW3 be a CoD themed Peggle and would be in their rights to do so.

Each game in and of itself.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 10 Nov 2009, 21:44

THIS

IS NOT

ANOTHER

MW2 DISCUSSION.

I REFUSE. THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE! THIS FAR, NO FARTHER!
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Arius

Postby Arius » 10 Nov 2009, 22:12

Right, back on topic.

Complaints used to be more serious things. Like Madden creating a monopoly in NFL games. Or a game being drastically changed for the western releases.

Now it is going to people complaining because they're not being given things they want.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 10 Nov 2009, 22:16

...like a Japanese game?

Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 10 Nov 2009, 22:32

Since the dawn of time, consoles and PCs have observed certain advantages. Certain weighing factors of what to buy the game for, or whether to buy one of the other at all. One advantage PC has had is being the real FPS console. You can't really beat a five button mouse and wasd. They also have better online capability. Because of this they have gotten the edge in these games. Meanwhile, consoles get anything that needed an analog stick. Unless you got a joystick, that is really hard to emulate. And thus the balance was and it was good.

And then Activision flipped the bird to its original fans. The End.
Image Image Image
AeroCmdr
Requires Additional Pylons

Postby AeroCmdr » 10 Nov 2009, 22:36

Everyone has their own opinion and if no one gave their opinion about things a lot of things would be different.

But in the end it doesn't matter. The Earth will one day be gone and none of this shit will be here so you might as well speak your mind.

Also for the sake of trollin'

Valve probably should not have punished the idler's six months after most of them stopped using it and should have warned people to stop and should have punish people who continued to use it.

Left 4 Dead 3 confirmed November 18th 2010.

Also Modern Warfare 3 on PC won't have Multiplayer and can only be controlled with a 360 controller

LULUL I HEARD U LIEK ANTI ALIASING SO I DIDN'T BUY YOU A CONSOLE
Last edited by AeroCmdr on 10 Nov 2009, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 10 Nov 2009, 22:57

Sieg Reyu wrote:Since the dawn of time, consoles and PCs have observed certain advantages. Certain weighing factors of what to buy the game for, or whether to buy one of the other at all. One advantage PC has had is being the real FPS console. You can't really beat a five button mouse and wasd. They also have better online capability. Because of this they have gotten the edge in these games. Meanwhile, consoles get anything that needed an analog stick. Unless you got a joystick, that is really hard to emulate. And thus the balance was and it was good.

And then Activision flipped the bird to its original fans. The End.

...get.OUT!!

Why MW2 should never be discussed, only mentioned in this thread: Because we have 4 others. Four of them.

FOUR.

Four.

four.

fore.

P.S. According to this article, Left 4 Dead 3 has been announced for October 2009. So ha!

Return to “Video Games”