MMMMM Assassin's Creed 2

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Re: MMMMM Assassin's Creed 2

Postby Nevrmore » 10 Jan 2010, 11:25

First of all, I'm surprised that anyone not only cares about Desmond and his story, but wants to see more of it. I wish they would drop that shit altogether and leave each game without a framing story.

Second, I was under the impression that Desmond controlled everything Ezio did. Otherwise, the idea of desynchronization doesn't make sense - You desynch (lose health) by doing things that strays too far from what Ezio actually did in real life - killing civilians, getting overpowered by guards et al. If you go too far off base, especially by dying, then Desmond is forcefully taken out of the simulation and it has to be restructured again. If Desmond wasn't controlling Ezio, how would that be explained?
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 10 Jan 2010, 13:14

Genghis Ares wrote:Desmond isn't actually controlling Ezio, he's living Ezio's memories, which are controlled by the player. So Technically, you (The Player) are playing as Ezio, and Desmond is watching..

Also Shaun(the other guy) asks Desmond to try and find things that would not have existed in Ezio's time but were placed there in the machine(the glyph things).

Nevrmore wrote:First of all, I'm surprised that anyone not only cares about Desmond and his story, but wants to see more of it. I wish they would drop that shit altogether and leave each game without a framing story.

I can see why people dont like his story. in the first game I felt desmonds plight I wanted to know why he was captured, why they were making him relive Altier memories. I just didnt feel the same conection with Altier.
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Jan 2010, 14:52

I prefer Altier/Ezio's stories, primarily because I find the premise of Desmond's story makes me want to repeatedly smash my head into the nearest wall. At least in the first game, I haven't gotten very far in the second game, and that's at home right now.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 10 Jan 2010, 16:42

Nevrmore wrote:I was under the impression that Desmond controlled everything Ezio did. Otherwise, the idea of desynchronization doesn't make sense - You desynch (lose health) by doing things that strays too far from what Ezio actually did in real life - killing civilians, getting overpowered by guards et al. If you go too far off base, especially by dying, then Desmond is forcefully taken out of the simulation and it has to be restructured again. If Desmond wasn't controlling Ezio, how would that be explained?

I always thought of it like Prince of Persia, where whenever the Prince died or did something wrong, he just says "Wait, that's not how it happened" since he is telling the whole thing as a story and then he rewinds.

I think story wise or in the game reality, the animus is just a viewer and he's just watching Ezio/Altair and when desychronizations occur, it's just problem with the memory/animus itself.

But gameplay wise, or in the reality of playing the game, it's us playing Desmond, who's playing Ezio/Altair in a way.

It all really depends on how the Animus works. Is it a direct memory viewer. Or is it a Playable Simulation based off of the memories.

In the games they never really make it seem like Desmond is directly controlling Ezio's/Altair's actions, at least not in dialogue.
Last edited by Genghis Ares on 11 Jan 2010, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphroy
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Seraphroy » 11 Jan 2010, 15:11

Genghis Ares wrote:In the games they never really make it seem like Desmond is directly controlling Ezio's/Altair's actions, at least not in dialogue.

This is true, when you find the first glyph for 16's memories, Desmond goes "wait, what is that?" to the others, making it seem more like he's viewing it, rather than playing it out.
Dr. Atrocity

Postby Dr. Atrocity » 14 Jan 2010, 17:02

The problem with the Assassin's Creed series is the split narrative.

Desmond is ostensibly being set up to be the 'true' main character of AC 3 now he has the skills of Ezio and Altair and can actually do stuff beyond simply sit and be a wuss. His framing narrative is meant to be the 'real' story, but little to no time is spent on it.

However, players spend more time with (and hence form stronger attachments to) his historical counterparts, meaning no-one really cares about Desmond. This isn't helped by the fact that Desmond just spends most of his time walking his slow ass around, whereas in the past you're a ninja.

AC 3, I'm hoping, won't be at all involving an Animus and will instead involve Desmond as the assassin the players are with, for at least most of the game. This means the 'desynchronised instead of dead' conceit won't work, but it wont make that much of a difference.

Though what might be interesting would be if AC 3 involved Desmond occasionally having to dive into a number of different ancestors to discover where artifacts had been hidden, in order for him to find them in the modern world.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 14 Jan 2010, 23:36

I don't think they should drop the animus from the story. I think a fully realized modern game would be great and all, but a big part of the series is the animus. I think it would be cool if Desmond used the animus to get info on various ancestors that know where things are.
Trymantha

Postby Trymantha » 15 Jan 2010, 13:42

how bout it alternates as in one level animus to find the location of the item , the next go there with desmond to find the place aged e.g crumbling ruins or maybe a remaid place with a new layout(to get rid of repetitiveness) but with enough the same so you know where to look.

||tumblr||twitter||
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 16 Jan 2010, 11:31

So kind of a like a more tedious version of Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within?
Trymantha

Postby Trymantha » 16 Jan 2010, 12:54

if you replaced more with less thats kinda what i was suggesting. it all depends on how they do it.

||tumblr||twitter||
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 16 Jan 2010, 13:51

I would consider having to continuously go into and out of The Animus, dealing with that minute-long "synching" process where you just run around white space, infinitely more tedious than anything you had to do in The Warrior Within. But that's just me.

Return to “Video Games”