Freeware gaming

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Garth

Freeware gaming

Postby Garth » 02 Dec 2009, 16:08

So I've been broke lately so I've trying my hand at some freeware games and I'd thought I share a couple couple of my favorites I've come across in the past few months.

Spelunky
Spelunky is a rougelike cave crawler of 15 randomly generated levels and a difficulty curve that made me run up a wall. Collect gold, battle cave cretures, and save damsels through this Indiana Jones inspired masterpiece. With several unlockables you'll never run out of stuff to do in this game. Created by Derek Yu using Game Maker.

Iji
Iji is an action-packed strategic platform shooter with a detailed story, large levels with multiple paths, powerful bosses and lots of secrets. There are alternate gameplay events, dialogues and scenes depending on what you do, a wealth of extras and bonus features, and seven stats to upgrade through a leveling system.

I Wanna Be The Guy
I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game is a sardonic loveletter to the halcyon days of early American videogaming, packaged as a nail-rippingly difficult platform adventure. My friend was able to beat it, but then again my friend is the kind of person who frequents this genre of "Masicore" games.

Feel free to post any of your own suggestions. I'm finished with these so I need something else to play.
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Re: Freeware gaming

Postby Mister Fiend » 03 Dec 2009, 00:50

Kingdom Of Loathing, the free to play stick figure and text based MMO parody. You only get a certain number of turns a day, but it's fun and funny.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 03 Dec 2009, 00:57

BYOND

Game engine and a couple thousand games made by random people. 99.9% of which are online multiplayer.

A lot of the games are basically: What if MMOs existed during the SNES days?

There are quite a few good games, but you have to look for them.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 03 Dec 2009, 01:08

Battlefield Heroes

Browser based FPS made by EA.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 03 Dec 2009, 01:20

Cave Story was recommended on this forum a while back. it's one of those really simple games that seems to have a soul. side-scrolling platformer, but so much more.
i also recommend Ikachan by the same studio. from the site: "In Ikachan you control a squid in an underwater cave system.
The caverns are cut off from the sea, there are food shortages, and a fish named ironhead rules the tunnels with an iron, uhh.. head. You must set things right."
and, if you liked Pengo back in the day Push Push Penguin is a great remake.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 03 Dec 2009, 13:14

Cool. I enjoyed Cave Story, but hadn't heard of Ikachan. I shall check it out.
Garth

Postby Garth » 03 Dec 2009, 18:26

Perfect, I just wrapped up Iji by beating it on Ultimortal, the final boss is quite legitimate on said difficultly.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 03 Dec 2009, 23:54

Garth, I suggest busting out some abandonware games. They are glorious and free, and usually of acceptable quality.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 06 Dec 2009, 07:24

Yes, because abandonware is just as legal to distribute as freeware, which is the ACTUAL topic of this thread.

I myself have been partaking of peoples' free Flash games; Armor Games, Newgrounds, Kongregate...

The only catch is I need my internet connection to be stable to play them; I might go check out downloadable versions of my favourites since the snowstorm seems to be having a detrimental effect on my cxn...

Return to “Video Games”