Games you were late to the party for.

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Re: Games you were late to the party for.

Postby ANeMzero » 03 Jan 2010, 23:41

Fallout 2.
I bought it about 4 months before Fallout 3 came out and while I got further in Fallout 3, I definitely found my time with 2 more satisfying. The slower pace of fallout 2 was something of a double edged sword. The slower pacing in combat would occasionally make battles seem to drag on forever..

On the other hand, the slower pacing of upgrades and quests made things certain things a lot more satisfying. I can remember upgrades clearly. My first SMG, looted from a thug at the slavers guild. My first set of metal armor, pickpocketed from a vendor outside of vault city. I remember finding a brahmin with a broken leg and out of pure curiosity attempting to use my surgery skill on it. Even more vividly I can remember the dumbfounded surprise when it actually worked.

Hell, even the gore comes at a slower pace.

Fallout 3 gives you exploding body parts any time you score a critical kill-shot, and thats great for a while. Fallout 2 doesn't do that.
I found it to be a rare occurrence for limbs to fly off in FO2 and there was nothing wrong with that. I could go through entire dungeons without anything exploding and that was fine because when it did finally happen, it was amazing. Yeah, its low resolution, pixelated gore, but that didn't matter, it was just satisfying.
and now; back to me.
tomcrom
First Video: one of them...? I don't remember...

Postby tomcrom » 12 Jan 2010, 17:52

I only got the DS remake of Chrono Trigger last week or so.

Also, The Shin Megami Tensei Series.
What?

Postby What? » 13 Jan 2010, 02:57

I only started playing La Pucelle: Tactics a few days ago. Once that's been put through its paces, I'll be moving onto Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. Both of these are over half a decade old.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 15 Jan 2010, 15:41

This should be a bit late: I just now picked up Final Fantasy X only 2 months ago. Never played it before, either.

A bit older, but with some reservation: I officially picked up The Bouncer about 6 months ago, but I originally played it the day after launch. It was my friend's copy, though.
Credit to Foxmar
David_G
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby David_G » 16 Jan 2010, 08:34

The Orange Box, although I was staying away from spoilers about the Half Life 2 series, the internet was flooded with "The Cake is a lie", and that pretty much ruined the feeling of Portal. Although that doesn't make it less awesome.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 16 Jan 2010, 10:56

In the past decade, just about every game I've bought has been marked down. Usually to give the devs time to do their 'gamma testing' for release bugs (so my first act upon installing would be to fire up the devs' website and d/l & install the patch(es)).

Morrowind, got the bundle, cheap.
Oblivion, got about a year ago, cheap.
GTAIII, Vice City, San Andreas all picked up 'after the buzz was over'; heck got GTAIV for xmas!

Of course, I'm also a big nostalgia gamer; I'm constantly replaying some old classic from the 80's or 90's (presently Gateway to the Savage Frontier via DOSBox), sharing time with my mmo (DDO for now, maybe STO soon) and my sandbox game (curr. GTA IV)
Uznare

Postby Uznare » 16 Jan 2010, 11:13

GTA San Andreas, Just bought GTA The Trilogy for PC but I already had vice city and GTA III for the PS2. Needless to say I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 16 Jan 2010, 14:03

It's rare for me to get games right away since I use Goozex to trade my games now.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 16 Jan 2010, 14:42

I saw Half Life 2 on my steam today and realized I never played it, so I start it up and it resets my computer. Oh well.

San Andreas was awesome though, probably my favorite game on the Playstation.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 17 Jan 2010, 16:37

Well, I did try the original on a friend's computer for a little while, and got a totally legal copy of the sequel years later and played through that, but you could say I'm going to be joining the Fallout™ party a little late:

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

For $20, taxes in!!!

Original, sequel and Fallout Tactics (which I could never get my hands on)!!!

We were looking for some casual stuff for the wife (currently we've both got a hankering for those 'spot the hidden items' games); I had a different game in my hand at the time that I was considering taking to a price scanner (since WalMart is SOOO considerate in only putting price tags on game boxes that aren't shrink-wrapped, so the sticker is either permanently on your game box, or going to damage same with its removal) and maybe getting if it was cheap, and only if we found something good for the wife, when she moved the Sims2 expansion we were thinking about to her other hand, grabbed a box and showed it to me.

As realization dawned on what she was presenting, I stuffed the other game back on the shelf and snatched the Fallout bundle from her with a mix of starvation and reverence. As I did, she said "WE ARE GETTING THIS." (I love her for being just as much of a gamer as I am)

...and you know something? Neither of us can remember what the game I was thinking of getting was... :)

But, yeah, I'll be taking a nostalgia weekend... :mrgreen:
The R

Postby The R » 17 Jan 2010, 17:51

Half-Life - mid 2004
HL:Opposing Force -mid 2004
Total Annihilation - Late 2004
Counter-Strike: Source - Mid 2007
Half-Life 2 - End of 2007
HL:Episodes: Still havent gotten around to them :oops:
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 18 Jan 2010, 05:42

Pokemon...one of the early ones. Which I played for the first time mid-2009. Yeaaaaaaah. Wasn't missing much. >.>
Successfully lurking since 1709.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 18 Jan 2010, 05:51

Hmm, theres a ton for me but the one I was latest for was probably Bio-shock. I didn't play that till summer of 2009. Fantastic game but by that point I'd had it pretty much spoilered for me.

If I ever getting around to playing Half-Life 2, Portal or Team Fortress 2 I'll be late to that party too.
Nothing to see here.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 19 Jan 2010, 20:24

Fallout and Fallout 2, now that I remember, were games I first played in 2005. After loving Fallout Tactics, I wanted to play them. Tactics is definitely different, and while I liked 1 and 2, I like Tactics more(as it's more of the kind of games that I love, i.e. Jagged Alliance 2).
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 20 Jan 2010, 06:47

The God of War series.

I ordered used copies of both GoW and GoW2 on Amazon last year. Only GoW2 showed up. (GoW was like $8 so I let it slide). I had put GoW2 aside until I could obtain a copy of GoW1 first to play them in order. Never happened.

Luckily God of War Collection came out in November and it is RAD! Both games are excellent and presumably way better in HD at 60Hz. Upon completing both games I got Chains of Olympus on PSP which is also amazing. I've also pre-ordered GoWIII which, predictably looks mind-blowing.

Kudos David Jaffe, Cory Barlog, Stig Asmussen and Sony Santa Monica (As well as Ready At Dawn)
Ollie, don'tcha know!
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Ollie, don'tcha know! » 20 Jan 2010, 10:56

I only got a 360 recently, so I've been catching up on some awesome games lent to me by my friends. I've only just started playing BioShock, and I only played MW a few weeks before MW2 came out, among others.
I think this place is full of spies. I think they're onto me.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 31 Jan 2010, 16:43

Forgot to mention, at that same flea market where I picked up FFX, I also picked up the Ultimate Doom Collection - Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom - for $5. First time I ever owned a Doom game.
Credit to Foxmar
DRog
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby DRog » 31 Jan 2010, 23:22

I recently got my hands on a copy of Oracle of Seasons for the Game Boy Color. I played the hell out of it. I beat it in pretty much a weekend, inspiring me to play A Link to the Past. I'm at Ganon within a week. They are SO GOOD.
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 10 Feb 2010, 09:52

Yakuza on the PS2, man that game is just fun. I am having a blast playing it.
Speed Reid
First Video: three PS3s

Postby Speed Reid » 12 Feb 2010, 20:52

I first played Half-Life 1 in 2008. It's now my favorite single player FPS. Even like it more than Half-Life 2.

Return to “Video Games”