The game that made you a gamer

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
HungryHungryHobo
First Video: Rapidfire season two episode three

Re: The game that made you a gamer

Postby HungryHungryHobo » 05 Jan 2010, 21:58

I can't say this for sure since i've been an extremely avid gamer from a very young age having my first console being an SNES.
With saying that my most memorable game from when i first started playing is Megan Man X which I still find to be an excellent game.
Hannah
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Hannah » 06 Jan 2010, 12:17

My parents were also gamers, so like many of you, I've been playing my whole life, starting with games on the Sega Genesis like Sonic, and games on the ol' Amiga like Dungeon Master.

If I had to pick a game that really marked the start of my love for gaming... Zelda Ocarina of Time.
"Oh no, not again."
What?

Postby What? » 06 Jan 2010, 22:11

The first game that I ever got really into would be Spyro the Dragon. But the one game that's shaped my preferences more then any other would be the Legend of Dragoon.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 07 Jan 2010, 02:18

Super Mario Bros. on the Gameboy.
WBAGNR
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby WBAGNR » 07 Jan 2010, 13:59

Pokemon Blue on the Gameboy Colour, or Theme Hospital on the Playstation
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog
Hannah

Postby Hannah » 07 Jan 2010, 17:10

WBAGNR wrote:Pokemon Blue on the Gameboy Colour

Pokemon Blue's stellar. Best Pokemon installment by far, with Silver as the second.
"Oh no, not again."
Sauter

Postby Sauter » 07 Jan 2010, 23:39

Oh gosh, that's hard. I'd have to say either Sonic 2 on the Sega Genesis or Starcraft. Well, I guess Sonic 2 didn't "really" get me into gaming, so Starcraft.

Oops, scratch both of those. Warcraft 2. No doubt, it was Warcraft 2.
davefp

Postby davefp » 09 Jan 2010, 16:34

Asteroids on the BBC Micro. My brother and I used to play it together when we were small. One of us would drive, the other would fire the gun. We'd take turns. It was awesome.
empath

Postby empath » 09 Jan 2010, 19:20

Ah, LOVED; not just the first I got 'hooked' on. (That'd be Centipede in the arcades; more allowance money disappeared down that game's coin slot...)

But the first game I truly LOVED to bits and played obsessively would have to be Adventure on the Atari 2600; the hardest setting was rather random so it continued to have replay value.

After that, there were a handful of ROM cartridge games for the Atari 8-bit compys: Joust, Dig Dug, Centipede again, but the one I devoted most of my time to was Star Raiders - it was my baptism to 1st person space sims (Zaxxon eat your heart out; I'm Red 6 shooting down TIE fighters, bitch! :) ).

Once I got a disk drive for it, 'bigger' games like the Ultimas and Interstel's Star Fleet had me generally gaming, but a shelf of Microprose (F-15 Strike Eagle, NATO Commander, Kennedy Approach, Silent Service) and SSI (Kampfgruppe, Knights of the Desert, Carrier Force, Broadsides, Reforger '88, Computer Ambush, The Wargame Construction Set, Battalion Commander) and Avalon Hill (Nukewar, Tanktics, Andromeda Conquest) games had me fitting firmly into the 'Wargamer' mould...

...this even continued for a bit with The '100% PC-compatible' - Red Storm Rising, M1 Tank Platoon, some diversions with Pirates! and Covert Action and Sword of the Samurai...but that all changed in 1988...

For then I got SSI's Pool of Radiance.

I spent ages planning out the perfect party, annotating meticulous maps of the 'districts of Phlan', formulating optimal battle plans for specific set-monster groups, conferring with my friends over the game, and....listening to that AMAZING theme (I had a Tandy pc-compatible, with a proprietary 4-voice sound card - paltry by even the original Sound Blaster, but compared to the default internal speaker it was gob-stoppingly-awesome. I brought a friend over to check something in Podol Plaza, and the first time I triggered a random encounter that resulted in combat, the usual "A BATTLE BEGINS..." popped up at the bottom of the screen, but he nearly shit himself when he was treated to about five minutes of four-part harmony music!

The 'Gold Box' games are what I cut my teeth on; I remember spending one summer weekend 'nested' in the computer room while my parents went out to the new cabin they were building - I had two armchairs set up so I could have my feet up while playing, and went about thirty hours or so before I nodded off. Then I woke later, and went right back into it and played all weekend, breaking only for sleep (in the chair), bathroom breaks and food.

I ate, slept and breathed Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness (never finished the last - that aforementioned friend bought it and 'loaned me a copy', but I found the high-level battles were really just a matter of luck to get the initiative and nuke the baddies before they nuked us, so I moreso enjoyed it vicariously through his playthrough.

The Gold Box kept my attention later in college too; got a copy of Gateway to the Savage Frontier and started doing worse in my courses due to another flare up of Aurum Arca archa addiction. :) Indeed, I have both Gateway and Treasures sitting in a DOSBox folder on my current computer - IIRC, I've got to get my party out of Yartar and get caught by the Kraken Society in this playthough. :)

Yeah, SSI's 'Gold Box' games (even the Sci-Fi Buck Rogers games) are what really made me a Gamer. Heck, I even bought a shovelware bundle simply for Unlimited Adventures - the Gold Box CONSTRUCTION SET!!! :mrgreen:
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 09 Jan 2010, 19:40

Duke Nukem. I had that game on an old DOS PC that my dad had set up a CLI alias so I could type TOM and it would bring up a list of games, then I could type a number to play the corresponding game.

I loved that computer... I wish I still had it.
Seraphroy
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Seraphroy » 09 Jan 2010, 21:10

The Best of Windows Entertainment Pack on my lovely Windows 3.11 computer when I was 4 is one of the earlier memories I have as a child, so I'll have to go with Chip's Challenge.

Failing that, Mario Bros, and Megaman 2 on the NES. I may have sucked ass at both of them, but damn I was persistent.
Intellectually funky

Postby Intellectually funky » 09 Jan 2010, 21:54

Most Gamers... were never NOT gamers. This is who we are and I remember playing on the original NES when I was 2, I have seen it many times where people play casual games and then there is THAT ONE GAME that bridges the gap between casual and gamer for them.

SSo to say it is more then likely that most gamers have always been Gamers... BTW Super Mario World.
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. - Groucho Marx

March Hare: Ah, that's just it. If you don't think, then you shouldn't talk.
Jinjiro
First Video: The Secret of the Sauce

Postby Jinjiro » 10 Jan 2010, 02:21

For me, it was probably 'Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior' on Mega Drive/Genesis, or if anything earlier, 'Rainbow Islands' and 'New Zealand Story' on the Atari ST.

Awesome games.
gnomebard
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby gnomebard » 18 Jan 2010, 23:17

I started in to the world of gaming on my family's computer an old all in one mac (the kind with a like 7in B&W screen and the OS is on the same "floppy disk" as the game your playing! we are talking oooooooold school. lol) playing games like froger and this game I don't know the name of where to kill tanks, stick men and airplanes as they try in destroy you bunker. lots of fun that one.

after the family moved I used the gaming computers at the library (yes my library had gaming computers. it rocked.) and fell in love with the DOS version of oregon trail.

but as for the first game I played that I could say makes me a gamer is Lost Vikings 1 on the NES. and or tetris. (best version of tetris is "the new tetris" on the N64. can I get a yay or nay?) but only if you consider (as I do) that tetris is not a "casual game." it is a sport. it is a calling!
ImageImage
ChoTomoko
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby ChoTomoko » 19 Jan 2010, 04:41

It's probably a tie between Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario RPG... From there it was all a whirlwind of gore, coins, rings, herbs and potions.
I've been stabbed, shot at, impaled, been beheaded with a chainsaw, set on fire and had a parasite injected into me and I'M STILL NOT CRYING!
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 19 Jan 2010, 17:51

Street fighter or Mortal Kombat
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Jodites
First Video: Halo Parody

Postby Jodites » 19 Jan 2010, 18:28

Doom, turned me into a true gamer.
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 19 Jan 2010, 19:15

I think probably Pokémon Red. I recall going into Smyths Toys, picking up the GBC box (my first ever console, too), and not even looking at any other games. That was the only one I wanted. I played that game a lot, for a long time. Ahhh, memories.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
JoshTheater
First Video: Desert Bus Killed The Internet Star

Postby JoshTheater » 20 Jan 2010, 06:49

Hm, when I think back, the first games I remember playing a lot were Pokemon for Gameboy and StarCraft for PC. Then I got an N64 and while StarFox64 was the first console game I ever beat (and I beat it the real way, not the robot Andross way), the first game I ever fell in love with was Ocarina Of Time.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 20 Jan 2010, 14:42

tetris, and I'm not half bad at it either. game boy pocket, the first system that was MINE
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
GaspodeTheDog

Postby GaspodeTheDog » 20 Jan 2010, 15:07

Bubble Bobble C64
well that was the game i played the most back then.
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 24 Jan 2010, 22:42

Oh yeah, and i played gunstar heroes to DEATH!!!!
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
GoogleFett
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby GoogleFett » 24 Jan 2010, 23:35

My first game was some game of which i cannot remember the name of but was really fun to me and alas I've lost it. It was on PC sometime around 1998 or so.. What you were was a space ship that went through levels blowing stuff up, it's been to long ago that i can hardly remember anything else other than that the background looked sort of purple-gooey/organic thing..
far_wanderer
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby far_wanderer » 25 Jan 2010, 23:43

I'm a bit of an exception, in that I was not a gamer (or in fact, a geek of any sort) until about age 10. That was the point where my love of reading got me hooked on Star Wars, and everything snowballed from there.
For computer games, it was Civilization 2 that got me started. To this day the Civ series remains a favorite.
I absolutely loved the early Pokemon games, but I've never really enjoyed hand-held systems much beyond that.
I didn't pick up consoles until almost college, and then it was SSB Melee that drew me in. Although it wasn't until after graduation that I actually bought my own console systems.
And finally for tabletop gaming it was Star Wars.
Dorian
First Video: Joystique

Postby Dorian » 26 Jan 2010, 04:11

Some of my earliest memories were of playing NES with my brothers. The original Mario games, especially. Been gaming all my life, there's no game that specifically "made me a gamer".

Return to “Video Games”