EA is pulling the plug on "older" game servers

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
theo5p
First Video: Desertbus live feed

EA is pulling the plug on "older" game servers

Postby theo5p » 05 Jan 2010, 21:36

I came across this article while doing my daily blog sweep:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/04/ea-pulling-plug-on-aging-sports-games-servers/

I find it a bit unsettling that a major publisher would yank online support for games that are a little over a year old, especially when the online component is a major part of the game.
I can understand the business reasons for dumping the Madden games (selling more copies of Madden 10), but I don't understand pulling the plug on games with no successor, i.e. NASCAR 09.

As a side note what has happened to local multi-player on racing games? Last time I was in Gamestop I couldn't find a single game that offered 2 player split screen that wasn't one of the 2 that I already own. I don't think its too much to ask for especially if you are going to bother to implement a networked multi-player feature.
Vaughn

Re: EA is pulling the plug on "older" game servers

Postby Vaughn » 05 Jan 2010, 21:57

All the more reason to buy the game when they re-release it nextyear!
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 06 Jan 2010, 05:44

Or reasons not to buy it at all!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 06 Jan 2010, 08:35

I have little issue with this. The overwhelming majority are games for the xbox or ps2, and it's pretty clear that they're trying to discontinue support for those platforms, which is fine, they've been dead for 4 years now.

As far as the current gen titles are concerned, there's probably just not enough online players to keep the game servers running. Sports games are a very cyclical market, so even games that are 1 season old get dropped en masse when the next version comes out.

Why keep the lights on if no ones home?

-m

I am not angry at you.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 06 Jan 2010, 14:13

I heard they're cutting the servers for Chromehounds like tomorrow :( that makes me sad cause that was the best mech game to come out in years.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 06 Jan 2010, 14:34

Do you still play it?
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 06 Jan 2010, 14:38

I know a lot of people do.

Chromehounds is a rather unique game in presentation. The giant fighting robots might not be, but the war that has the outcome decided by the players is pretty unique.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
theashigaru
First Video: The Con

Postby theashigaru » 06 Jan 2010, 22:11

Support for the last two versions of sports games is reasonable imo. I think Matt speaks from experience when he's talking about the throngs coming in to trade out last year's Madden.

Anyway, if the game still has a dedicated fanbase, they'll find a way around any lack of official servers.
Is it safe?
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 07 Jan 2010, 12:47

On and off. sadly now I can't play anymore I guess.
Uznare

Postby Uznare » 12 Jan 2010, 05:09

The registration server for mercenaries 2 has been dead since november last year and that is a huge dick move because if you bought the game after that (like I did) the thing crashes at the main menu every time. The only fix for it(and as far as I know it's only for the 360 version) is to download the Army of Two demo and link your gamertag to the ea account you make in it (Which is stupid because I had already linked my xbl gamertag to an ea account beforehand with Skate 2)
girhen
First Video: Fun With Condoms

Postby girhen » 25 Jan 2010, 20:34

At least the PC versions of most of those games have direct connect. I've been an avid NHL 08 player for a while.

Return to “Video Games”