I have a problem. (Need recommendations.)

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Shea

I have a problem. (Need recommendations.)

Postby Shea » 19 Jan 2010, 10:24

In 2009 there were very few new games that interested me. I really don't go for newer games that much. Most of them seem to have the same elements. (I.E. realism.) However, I recently got a copy of Okami and I can't put it down. My deal is that it seems to be getting more and more difficult for me to "get into" newer games.

I played Darksiders, Bayonetta, and Uncharted 2, but for the life of me, for some reason that's beyond me I just can't get into them. For one reason or another, I start up the game, play it, and either so frustrated that I turn the game off, or I get bored to tears, and after that I will probably never play it again. This never happened during the NES to Gamecube days. I can play Super Castlevania 4 and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 until I moss over even to this day. At first I thought that I was losing my attachment to video games. But soon after I had that thought, Mega Man 10 was announced, and I went apeshit and started chugging Dr.Pepper until I was dizzy out of excitement. I played Castlevania : The Adventure : Rebirth until my thumbs were swollen. The game doesn't even have to be 2D, because I still love games like Devil May Cry 4 and Silent Hill Homecoming. But when you try to get me to play Gears of War or Call of Duty, it's snoozeville.

Do I just enjoy the old fashioned stuff far more? Do familiar franchises and companies get my engine turning better? Or do I just prefer Japanese company titles? Either way, I need recommendations. If you've read my list o' whining, then hopefully you might know the kind of games that I'm after. Please help.
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Hakaryu

Re: I have a problem. (Need recommendations.)

Postby Hakaryu » 19 Jan 2010, 11:08

Demon's souls wouldn't be a bad choice to try. I'd also suggest getting Heavy Rain when it's released.
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
Jackboleo

Postby Jackboleo » 19 Jan 2010, 11:52

Demon's souls maybe, wait for the reception on heavy rain.

I'm tempted to recomend a good sandbox. I know none are on your list and I don't know what you think of them but maybe something big, different and wacky like Saints Row 2 or dead rising is what you need. If you don't like those then I'm not really sure what you need.

Ooh I'd also recomend Aaaaaa-A reckless disregard for gravity simply because I love it.
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 19 Jan 2010, 13:32

For sandbox I'd suggest Elder Scrolls Oblivion
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
Shea

Postby Shea » 19 Jan 2010, 14:48

Hakaryu wrote:For sandbox I'd suggest Elder Scrolls Oblivion

Interesting, because I love Fallout 3. I might give that a shot.
Jackboleo wrote:Demon's souls maybe, wait for the reception on heavy rain.

I'm tempted to recomend a good sandbox. I know none are on your list and I don't know what you think of them but maybe something big, different and wacky like Saints Row 2 or dead rising is what you need. If you don't like those then I'm not really sure what you need.

Ooh I'd also recomend Aaaaaa-A reckless disregard for gravity simply because I love it.
It depends on how "sandboxy" it is. I like having to unlock new places to explore. That's why I like Zelda and Okami so much.
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 19 Jan 2010, 15:01

<skip if you don't have a PC>

We-ll, Fallout 3 is excellent, but if you want a slightly more hardcore offering (for PC) you could go for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. I'm playing the first one, Shadow Of Chernobyl, at the moment. It's brilliant. It's quite difficult to describe why specifically it's more fun than Fallout, but I find it so engaging.

</skip if you don't have a PC>

Yeah, Oblivion is nice, but if you want some weird thrills you could always try Crackdown, assuming you haven't played it already. The visuals are the right side of realistic, and the mechanics are still some of the most fun available on 360.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 19 Jan 2010, 16:38

Hakaryu wrote:For sandbox I'd suggest Elder Scrolls Oblivion

I would say quite the opposite- avoid Oblivion. It was okay at best. Get Morrowind. Morrowind is an excellent game, and you can get it for in the area of $10 with the expansions.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 19 Jan 2010, 17:18

Oblivion was great when it came out. But since Fallout 3, I found myself not enjoying Oblivion as much when I replayed it for the fourth time.
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 20 Jan 2010, 01:21

If you haven't already tried it, I would get Batman: Arkham Asylum, probably the best paced game of last year.
Shea

Postby Shea » 20 Jan 2010, 01:56

RobertMc123 wrote:If you haven't already tried it, I would get Batman: Arkham Asylum, probably the best paced game of last year.

I have and I love it.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 20 Jan 2010, 08:33

I add my vote to Oblivion. Can't say anything about Morrowind. Never gave it a fair chance.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Shea

Postby Shea » 19 Feb 2010, 05:47

I've discovered what my problem is.

I don't excited for most games now because almost all the new games are trying to be ultra-realistic and edgy. Especially American games. American games just throw away all of the things that made me love games when I was little. The simplicity, the complete lack of seriousness, no trace of realism, next to no story (except for Zelda), and finally, awesome heroes.

Seriously, why do so many American games now choose to make their lead characters some kind of tragic anti-hero figure? Bleh. Give me a 2-dimensional Bill Rizer, Duke Nukem, Doomguy, or Gordan Freeman over Marcus Fenix any day.

Until American games focus more on balls to the wall action like older games did, I'm going to focus on Japanese stuff.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 19 Feb 2010, 09:35

Plants vs. zombies.

Get a ds or wii, no realistic games there.
Image Image Image
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 22 Feb 2010, 04:58

Shea wrote:I've discovered what my problem is.

I don't excited for most games now because almost all the new games are trying to be ultra-realistic and edgy. Especially American games. American games just throw away all of the things that made me love games when I was little. The simplicity, the complete lack of seriousness, no trace of realism, next to no story (except for Zelda), and finally, awesome heroes.

Seriously, why do so many American games now choose to make their lead characters some kind of tragic anti-hero figure? Bleh. Give me a 2-dimensional Bill Rizer, Duke Nukem, Doomguy, or Gordan Freeman over Marcus Fenix any day.

Until American games focus more on balls to the wall action like older games did, I'm going to focus on Japanese stuff.

A compelling story and well-developed characters? In my video games?

Seriously, though, if violence/gore isn't a requirement for your enjoyment of a game, then I'd stick with Nintendo. Lots of great games on the DS and the Wii, but most steer clear of the realism that Microsoft and Sony try so hard to achieve.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

Return to “Video Games”