tatsunoko vs capcom

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Intellectually funky

tatsunoko vs capcom

Postby Intellectually funky » 28 Jan 2010, 08:39

I bought this game out of a recommendation from a Gamestop Manager who said it would be great but... this is awesome because I used to watch Gatchaman and Gold Lightan Back in the day. I was also very surprised on how deep the fighting actually is, it's no Marvel vs capcom or Tekken but the awesome level is still there.

Who else got this?
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. - Groucho Marx

March Hare: Ah, that's just it. If you don't think, then you shouldn't talk.
kilgr20
First Video: Halo

Re: tatsunoko vs capcom

Postby kilgr20 » 28 Jan 2010, 14:51

If you watch the movie 'Jaws' backwards, its a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 30 Jan 2010, 01:21

Looks good, and it's a bit of Japanese fanservice to throw Tatsunoko in the mix, but I'm sure a lot of people would've preferred that Namco X Capcom game a couple years back to have NOT been a card battle and simply be what we all hoped - a true fighting franchise (Soul Calibur/Tekken) vs. fighting franchise (Street Fighter/Darkstalkers).
Credit to Foxmar
Intellectually funky

Postby Intellectually funky » 30 Jan 2010, 06:37

WickedBoy6 wrote: a true fighting franchise (Soul Calibur/Tekken) vs. fighting franchise (Street Fighter/Darkstalkers).

"True"? what makes them "true" fighters?
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. - Groucho Marx

WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 30 Jan 2010, 13:32

I just meant an actual, real fighter vs. fighter. I wasn't calling either one better or more real by saying "true", I meant a true vs game instead of the assumption that we'd be getting, essentially, Soul Calibur vs. Street Fighter, but what we got was nothing more than a card-battling lie.
Credit to Foxmar
kilgr20

Postby kilgr20 » 30 Jan 2010, 20:11

I personally couldn't see how that would work well, you have Soul Calibur and Tekken 6 which are both 3D fighters. Then you have Capcom with Street fighter and that's a very 2D based fighter. I would imagine that it would be very hard to please people with either a 3D fighter going 2D or a 2D fighter going 3D. The game play mechanics are completely different.
If you watch the movie 'Jaws' backwards, its a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.
Intellectually funky

Postby Intellectually funky » 30 Jan 2010, 21:31

WickedBoy6 wrote:I just meant an actual, real fighter vs. fighter. I wasn't calling either one better or more real by saying "true", I meant a true vs game instead of the assumption that we'd be getting, essentially, Soul Calibur vs. Street Fighter, but what we got was nothing more than a card-battling lie.

I thought you meant like fighters that don't use Hadokens or 12-Second in the air kicks against the ones with Shoryuken or Sonic boom. Which made me think of how unbalanced and awesome that would be.

WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 30 Jan 2010, 22:48

kilgr20 wrote:I personally couldn't see how that would work well, you have Soul Calibur and Tekken 6 which are both 3D fighters. Then you have Capcom with Street fighter and that's a very 2D based fighter. I would imagine that it would be very hard to please people with either a 3D fighter going 2D or a 2D fighter going 3D. The game play mechanics are completely different.

Well, look what they did with Street Fighter IV or - because it's the thread's topic - TvsC. They're 2D fighters, but the models are done in 3D. I don't think it'd be beyond the realm of possibility for Calibur characters to format to the 2D formula and still look awesome.

It could also go the CvS/SvC, where Capcom did one version where the SNK characters were Capcom-style, and SNK released one where the Capcomers were SNK-styled. With that, Capcom could release a 2D style, while Namco could have a 3D, where their Caliburs could fight, essentially, Street Fighter EX+a. Of course, it would cause a problem, as stated prior:

Intellectually funky wrote:I thought you meant like fighters that don't use Hadokens or 12-Second in the air kicks against the ones with Shoryuken or Sonic boom. Which made me think of how unbalanced and awesome that would be.

It would be an interesting matchup, as the Capcoms would need their projectile mastery against the Namcos, since, closeup, anyone from SoulCalibur or Tekken would wreck anyone from Street Fighter. However, with projectiles against them, would they even get close enough?
Credit to Foxmar
kilgr20

Postby kilgr20 » 31 Jan 2010, 13:09

The thing with Capcom vs SNK is that SNK characters are also in a 2D playfield as well. Where as Soul Calibur is 3D. That's where the whole problem begins, and Street Fighter EX was and is the worst Street Fighter ever. (According to popular opinion)
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 31 Jan 2010, 16:21

It was more an example of what they could've done than actual execution, since EX+a WAS a very horrible game. I was just giving off that Namco could've made the Capcoms into 3D for their game, in the veni of EX+a, while Capcom could've rendered the Namcos in 3D, but kept them on the 2D playfield like they're doing with SFIV.

I'm not saying it would've been a perfect match, like MvC was, but it still would've been interesting to see, and much more accepting than the weird card-battle game that it ended up being.
Credit to Foxmar
Intellectually funky

Postby Intellectually funky » 31 Jan 2010, 21:08

Anybody else get the image of Pac-Man vs Ryu in Namco vs Capcom?... no?... Just me?

WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 31 Jan 2010, 21:19

I was thinking Pack-Man vs MegaMan, actually. One, the names go together, and two, MegaMan's shots look like the Pac pellets.

Okay, steering back on topic, did anyone else find it weird that they would choose an obscure, mainly-in-Japanese company like Tatsunoko? I mean, besides Speed Racer, Samurai Pizza Cats, and Gatchaman - which some people might not remember - Tatsunoko has had zero exposure in America. In fact, I remember hearing if they were even going to release this game outside of Japan. They didn't with Namco X Capcom, so the fact that's even in north America is a bit of a surprise.
Credit to Foxmar
Intellectually funky

Postby Intellectually funky » 31 Jan 2010, 21:25

This is true, I found it odd that it would be this company few have heard of and fewer would purchase the game, but Tatsunoko is HUGE in Japan so it would have been stupid not making it.

Now to be fair I used to watch Gatchaman and Karas so I wouldn't say Zero exposure.

WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 31 Jan 2010, 21:38

As I said, I know it's huge in Japan, but here? As I said, no one knows the name besides from Gatchaman, Speed Racer - an old favorite of mine - and Samurai Pizza Cats.
Credit to Foxmar

Return to “Video Games”