SQUALL IS DEAD!!! Matt Input Required

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

SQUALL IS DEAD!!! Matt Input Required

Postby Sieg Reyu » 17 Feb 2010, 21:39

http://squallsdead.com/

What does everyone think? I find it wholy fascnating. The game makes much more sense.

I'm not saying its perfect, and I'm not saying it wholly plausible or makes close to complete sense, but I think its a better story thatn just taking FFVIII's at face value.
Image Image Image
Vaughn

Re: SQUALL IS DEAD!!! Matt Input Required

Postby Vaughn » 17 Feb 2010, 21:56

"GF's did it"
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 17 Feb 2010, 22:07

No, that's stupid. Why do people really need to try and take more out of Final Fantasy than is intended? Because there isn't anymore. Seriously, this is just like the Rinoa is Ultimecia thing. She's not. Cut it out, go away.

Also, Edea would want to question Squall because he was leading the mission.

Also, Squall's life flashes before his eyes at the end because he's dying of exhaustion.

Also, you fight dinosaurs and those weird Gardenmaster guys exist. The game doesn't become that much less realistic after disc one. And the first boss is a talking wolf-lion-fire thing.

And the clincher: if this is Squall living out his life in the ~13 seconds he's got left to live (which makes no sense), why do you get to play through segments that he's not in?
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 17 Feb 2010, 22:17

Gordon Fearman wrote:And the clincher: if this is Squall living out his life in the ~13 seconds he's got left to live (which makes no sense), why do you get to play through segments that he's not in?

haven't you ever wanted to live someone elses life for a moment?

Or, what if the whole thing is a dream, and Squall was actually thought up by cloud while he was locked in that test chamber under Nibelheim?

Interpretations are great. Theyre nice to share but never, NEVER to be taken competetivly, because no one will ever.
EVER
be right.
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 17 Feb 2010, 22:25

Also, if Cloud can survive this, I'm sure Squall could survive that ice spear. Hell, even before Advent Children Final Fantasy characters were falling 50m through churches and destroying time lines.

Although Squall with no face is pretty disturbing.

Also, statements from Square employees nearly completely contradict this.

Also, you may think the scenes in the ending seem to highlight Squall's death, but that's only because his near death is one of like 6 prerendered cutscenes in the game, so it was easiest to just use those.

And also, Ultimecia's speech at the end (which is repeated in Dissidia) is about time compression. Very simply, she's saying time won't stand still, which is why she was trying to compress all of it together.

And finally, (for now) if Ultimecia doesn't exist, and Squall dies before saving the world, why are either of them in Dissidia? And how would Squall be able to fend off Sephiroth. I'm sure Sephiroth could kill Edea in like 5 seconds. Hell, I'm sure Zack could kill Edea in 5 seconds. It just don't make no-
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 18 Feb 2010, 00:30

In reference to Gordon's most recent post. I don't feel like quoting. Every paragraph corresponds to one of his.

Yeah, but Aeris couldn't. People die in FF all the time from all sorts of stuff. Tellah dies because he casts magic too hard.

Yes yes it is. I believe it is because its viewed from his perspective and he probably can't remember what he looks like, because really, who can paint that vivid of a picture of their own face without looking in a mirror.

What statements. I would really like to know. Perhaps the Squall is dead thing was the original intent and it fell apart and they just got lazy, or the final cut scene was made long before the plot was finalized.

There were plenty of other cut scenes. All but the Ragnarok scenes take place in Disc 1.

You say dermaters. I say dermatormorts.

Dissidia is non-canon for one. Two, who else they gonna use from Eight?

I'm puzzled by how vehemetly some people are protesting this theory. You would expect dimissal and calling it dumb. BUt people are all "OMG THERE IS NO WAY THAT CAN BE TRUE! I CANNOT ACCEPT THAT IDEA AND NEITHER CAN YOU!!!"

I find that its a much more interesting way to look at the game and see no reason not to believe it.
Image Image Image
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 18 Feb 2010, 02:42

It's an interesting theory.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 18 Feb 2010, 05:17

Its an intriguing theory, and although it does have a few merits, it leaves as many holes as it seemingly fills, and although it did provide interesting answers to a few questions surrounding the story, I think it raises just as many new ones regarding that theory.

Personally I don't really buy into it, but it was certainly an interesting read!
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 18 Feb 2010, 05:35

I like how sometimes the writer sits down and carefully explains his points and other times he just goes "WTF this doesn't make sense!" and attributes it to some higher meaning rather than FF8 being just poorly written.

I guess you could do this kind of thing with any poorly written or badly made movie. "No the booms supposed to be in the shot. Its a comment on existentialism" or whatever.
Nothing to see here.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Feb 2010, 06:46

Every story, ever, good or bad, could be attributed to someone's near-death experience or a mad-man's delusions. Star Trek, Star Wars, Final Fantasy, LRR vids, Pokemon, Beautiful Losers, M*A*S*H, St. Elsewhere, etc. For some it could be argued as a more valid interpretation than others, but until proved by word of god, they're all equally applicable. This is interesting as another way of looking at the story, and shouldn't be taken as anything more.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 18 Feb 2010, 07:05

Good point. I have a theory about how Matt losing his Gamerscore drove him insane and then hallucinated that he wanted to move out...
Nothing to see here.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 18 Feb 2010, 07:17

Sieg Reyu wrote:Yeah, but Aeris couldn't. People die in FF all the time from all sorts of stuff. Tellah dies because he casts magic too hard.

While true, I'm gonna assume Squall and Cloud are pretty on par physically. Also, does that church have a zarking protagonist bulls-eye on it? So far it's 2 for 3.

Sieg Reyu wrote:Yes yes it is. I believe it is because its viewed from his perspective and he probably can't remember what he looks like, because really, who can paint that vivid of a picture of their own face without looking in a mirror.

I think it's so we can never play the game again for fear of seeing that picture. GAH!

Sieg Reyu wrote:What statements. I would really like to know. Perhaps the Squall is dead thing was the original intent and it fell apart and they just got lazy, or the final cut scene was made long before the plot was finalized.

Without the Ultimania guide I can't find it for you.

Sieg Reyu wrote:There were plenty of other cut scenes. All but the Ragnarok scenes take place in Disc 1.

They have to be cutscenes with Squall in them or taken from his perspective. I personally don't remember like any of them. Also, according to Wikipedia (looking for aforementioned quotes) that whole blurry memory thing is Squall trying to properly assemble his memories, which will allow him to return to the present.

Sieg Reyu wrote:You say dermaters. I say dermatormorts.

I don't say either. What are you talking about?

Sieg Reyu wrote:Dissidia is non-canon for one. Two, who else they gonna use from Eight?

As far as I know, no explicit statement from Square contradicts Dissidia's canonocity.

I'll probably revive this thread when I get a chance to play the game again, which I've been meaning to. Right after Crisis Core...and Devil May Cry 4...and Mass Effect...1 and 2...

Addendum: Last thing I can get out of his article is that his point on the love story being a figment of Squall's imagination (dude's brain must move insanely fast to be able to record like 40 hours into ~13 seconds) is that since Rinoa doesn't immediately love Squall when she first meets him, she could never grow to love him over time.

Addendum addendum: Okay I lied. The last thing I can get out of his article is that he doesn't really accept the whole magic element of Final Fantasy if he questions the floating GARDEN (or is it Garden, I can't remember).

P.S. Addendum addendum addendum: Oddly enough, the name "Final Fantasy" is fitting for the second time in the series' history.

Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 18 Feb 2010, 08:06

Gordon Fearman wrote:
Sieg Reyu wrote:Yeah, but Aeris couldn't. People die in FF all the time from all sorts of stuff. Tellah dies because he casts magic too hard.

While true, I'm gonna assume Squall and Cloud are pretty on par physically. Also, does that church have a zarking protagonist bulls-eye on it? So far it's 2 for 3.
The Ice scene is after one disc of adventuring. That video takes place after the end of the game and several miscellaneous adventures.

Gordon Fearman wrote:
Sieg Reyu wrote:What statements. I would really like to know. Perhaps the Squall is dead thing was the original intent and it fell apart and they just got lazy, or the final cut scene was made long before the plot was finalized.

Without the Ultimania guide I can't find it for you.
I keep hearing about this Ultimania guide. I shall have to look into it.

Gordon Fearman wrote:

Coach Z. Homestarrunner.
You call it Ultemicia talking about the march of time, I call it a higher voice telling him his time is almost up.

Gordon Fearman wrote:
Sieg Reyu wrote:Dissidia is non-canon for one. Two, who else they gonna use from Eight?

As far as I know, no explicit statement from Square contradicts Dissidia's canonocity.
How could it be canon? It makes no sense. It'd be like calling Kingdom Hearts canon to Disney and Final Fantasy. It doeshn't make any shenshe! Fourtheen doll-- It'sh your cat why would you give it money?
Image Image Image
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Feb 2010, 10:16

So this theory takes a story that was incomprehensible and absurd, and adds inconsequential and meaningless to the mix?

sounds like a great idea.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 18 Feb 2010, 11:08

Sieg Reyu wrote:
Gordon Fearman wrote:

The Ice scene is after one disc of adventuring. That video takes place after the end of the game and several miscellaneous adventures.

50 metre drop takes place not even half way through the first disc of FFVII and like 5-6 hours into Crisis Core.

Sieg Reyu wrote:
Gordon Fearman wrote:

Coach Z. Homestarrunner.
You call it Ultemicia talking about the march of time, I call it a higher voice telling him his time is almost up.

Y'know another thing that makes no sense about this theory? Why is Squall's dream (which is already moving at mention speed (don't ask what this is, just assume it's really fast...like the speed of mention)) synchronised so well with his death? Wouldn't it be more realistic if he died somewhere in the middle?

Sieg Reyu wrote:
Gordon Fearman wrote:

How could it be canon? It makes no sense. It'd be like calling Kingdom Hearts canon to Disney and Final Fantasy. It doeshn't make any shenshe! Fourtheen doll-- It'sh your cat why would you give it money?

Dissidia doesn't explicitly violate canonocity (need to add this word to the dictionary), whereas Kingdom Hearts pretty much does.

Matt wrote:So this theory takes a story that was incomprehensible and absurd, and adds inconsequential and meaningless to the mix?

-m

I didn't really find it anymore incomprehensible or absurd then any other Final Fantasy. Especially the first one...'cause that one apparently never happens.

Gordon Fearman wrote:Addendum addendum: Okay I lied. The last thing I can get out of his article is that he doesn't really accept the whole magic element of Final Fantasy if he questions the floating GARDEN (or is it Garden, I can't remember).

So point, remember when I said you were last?

Yes?

Well I lied.

P.P.S. Addendum addendum addendum addendum: So, assuming this is all a dream, we're just supposed to except the 3 gazillion loose ends in the first disc and go on our merry?

One more thing: So, if the ending pre-rendered cutscene is Heaven, everyone else that you've ever met in the game has died. Okay, makes sense, assumedly Edea killed them all. Then why do all of them know about the flying Garden? None of them have any different versions of the afterworld? Seifer didn't goto Hell?

Oh, I forgot: So, the author likes to talk about it being so unlikely that Squall gets chosen to lead Balamb Garden because he's been a SeeD for all of 3 weeks. The reason it's not unlikely is because Squall was already chosen for the most important job a SeeD can be hired for: killing the Sorceress! Obviously since Squall was chosen, we can deduce that he's the best Balamb has to offer, which means after Cid fakes his own death for...some reason(?) Squall is pretty much guaranteed to run the place. I mean, if we wanna talk about inconsistencies, why do I have to keep taking exams to increase my pay? Seriously, I run this joint. I should be able to pay myself like 30000 gil per minute.

And another: So, half of this guy's points are that elements are manifestations of things Squall has already seen (i.e. Griever being the lion on the Revolver). If this is all true, who the hell is Ultimecia? Does Squall just have an irrational hate of Russians? For that matter, where did her accent go in Dissidia? It just don't make no-

Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 18 Feb 2010, 12:04

Matt wrote:So this theory takes a story that was incomprehensible and absurd, and adds inconsequential and meaningless to the mix?

-m
But think about it. It means that they actually had some sort of cohesive thought process when making the game. They weren't just drawing ideas out of a hat. They were actually trying for something.

Who cares if its still absurd, bizarre, and not well executed, at least they had a reason. That is what really sells the theory for me. Heck, the theory could be that Square made this game just to see how much their fans could take and still love them. Sure, it'd make me mad, but I would feel better about the game knowing it was supposed to be bad. My mind can't accept the fact that Square knowingly made a game this bad for no reason.

Also, it would be pretty funny if he suddenly and abruptly died during the climax, a la "An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge." You're about to fight Ultimecia, when suddenly FMV of the light fading from Squall's eyes underneath the arch, followed by unceremonius burial and game over scene.
Image Image Image
Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 18 Feb 2010, 12:12

Quototh the Spoony One

The Spoony One wrote:Look, it’s cute. I’m proud that you came up with it, and really, it’s better than what was intended. I can appreciate you finally realizing that FF8’s plot is so bad, you’ve invented a better one as a coping mechanism. But it doesn’t really work. Other stories with “crackpot” theories like this (Minority Report, Total Recall) hold more water, and were likely pitched as alternate endings. But look at the story you’re telling if the “Squall’s Dead” theory is true: Squall attempts to assassinate the Sorceress, fails, gets impaled, dies, and…then what?
Nothing to see here.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 18 Feb 2010, 12:28

Basically what I said. And as much as I hate the gameplay of FF8, I don't find the story bad or hard to understand. Basically, as with every Final Fantasy, you have to play the game twice to fully understand what's going on. Or have some sort of super memory.

Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 18 Feb 2010, 12:43

Gordon Fearman wrote:One more thing: So, if the ending pre-rendered cutscene is Heaven, everyone else that you've ever met in the game has died. Okay, makes sense, assumedly Edea killed them all. Then why do all of them know about the flying Garden? None of them have any different versions of the afterworld? Seifer didn't goto Hell?

Also if the entire scene at the end is supposed to represent Heaven, why are Laguna and Ellone visiting Raine's grave, surely if it was in heaven and they were all dead, Raine should be there too, not just a gravestone. (Yes I know she makes an appearance with Laguna earlier in the video, but that doesn't explain why she wasn't there for that bit!)
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 18 Feb 2010, 12:46

Also, if it's Heaven, why is Seifer fishing with a Pokeball? And why can't he catch any fish?

AND WHY ISN'T HE IN HELL?

Also, Raine's only in that cutscene as part of Laguna's flashback. But wait. Does that mean Laguna's dead and only his memory of Raine made it to Heaven? Why is he standing at her grave. Are there graves in Heaven?

Does Zell nearly choke in Heaven? How can you die in Heaven? What happens?

Why is Edea there? Of all the people who have supposedly died, she isn't one of them. Even if she did die, why is she in Heaven? Shouldn't she also be in Hell? Why is she with Cid? I thought Squall made that up. It just don't make no-

Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 18 Feb 2010, 13:18

H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 18 Feb 2010, 14:01

This guy wrote:Hardly a fulfilling close to the story, wouldn’t you say? Not much of a story; a bunch of untrained, untalented pissant mercenaries attack the most powerful, evil sorceress in history and get completely annihilated.

Uhhhh...untrained? Un...trained? I don't understand. Was he high while playing up until that point? Did he miss the part where Garden was a TRAINING GROUND FOR MERCENARIES? It's like, what was he thinking?

Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 18 Feb 2010, 16:47

I think inexperienced would be a better phrase. You don't graduate one day and get sent on the most high profile missions around the next. Unless its a suicide mission.

I think of it more as a personal heaven thing. Everybody gets their own slice of paradise. Those aren't the spirits or souls of his friends, rather mere representations of those he knows. If it was their actual souls Rinoa would be going after Seifer.

Also, perhaps the people outside the garden aren't within his heaven and are merely noticing his soul fly off.

Or, a much more likely explanation to me, is the death thing was the original intent, they backed down and threw in the final cut scene to obscure him dieing.
Image Image Image
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 18 Feb 2010, 17:38

Why would they change it? To satisfy your needs to justify this? No, that would be absurd. That's really a huge stretch.
Also Sieg, about your inexperience thing:

Squall's been trained for like 10 years, or something. He's gone on missions as part of his training. I think the biggest inconsistency is the lack of any older SeeD anywhere in the world.

Also, I think we can assume somewhat that Squall was chosen to assassinate the Sorceress because he essentially created SeeD.
Last edited by Gordon Fearman on 18 Feb 2010, 20:24, edited 3 times in total.

Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 18 Feb 2010, 17:45

Gordon Fearman wrote:Squall's been trained for like 10 years, or something.

10 Years? He's a 17 year old kid!
Nothing to see here.

Return to “Video Games”