Final Fantasy 13 Discussion Thread.

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Cybren

Re: Final Fantasy 13 Discussion Thread.

Postby Cybren » 18 Mar 2010, 21:51

uh

I've been playing JRPGs since FF1 on the NES.

When we make assumptions you make asses out of whatever it is.

But no, I like plenty of JRPGs, I just don't like any of them released since the PS2, it seems
Kag

Postby Kag » 18 Mar 2010, 23:23

Cybren wrote:Child protagonists? Nonsensical item collection bullshit? Incomprehensibly slow storytelling?

Yeah, Final Fantasy.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 18 Mar 2010, 23:56

Cybren wrote:uh

I've been playing JRPGs since FF1 on the NES.

When we make assumptions you make asses out of whatever it is.

But no, I like plenty of JRPGs, I just don't like any of them released since the PS2, it seems

My apologies, its just you made such sweeping statements that could be applied to the entire genre, it seemed the most logical conclusion! When you say you don't like PS2 era JRPGs, does that cover Atlus titles as well?
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 19 Mar 2010, 01:57

Kag wrote:
Cybren wrote:Child protagonists? Nonsensical item collection bullshit? Incomprehensibly slow storytelling?

Yeah, Final Fantasy.

or Pokemon

Speaking of, where the hell is the Heart Gold & Soul Silver threads!
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 20 Mar 2010, 09:19

After getting repeatedly raped by some frogs and fishmen, I've been enemy hunting the Ice Bombs and Rusty Puddings in the one mine-like spot in GP. My guys are almost kicking major ass. Gonna get everyone to max on thier 3 main roles before moving on.

Also I found out that most of the side quests are availible until after you beat the game. That's sooooo lame. Completely defeats the point of having side quests. More games need to just make the final boss the hardest boss.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 20 Mar 2010, 09:50

Got to the exploration and a little bewildered. I wish there was a huge world map rather than loads of little maps.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
GiantSeaPanda

Postby GiantSeaPanda » 20 Mar 2010, 22:10

dave-o-boy - up north on the main screen there is a king behemoth fighting one of those super wolf monsters. you should be able to stagger the behemoth in a preemptive and juggle it until it is dead without it standing up. the wolf monster is easy.

six thousand cp
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 21 Mar 2010, 01:23

Yeah I've been training there. 6600 CP in under 2 minutes and I'm not even that strong. What annoys me though is that even the classes I'm level 0 for still take as long to level as a class that's level 4. Just seems a little ridiculous.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 21 Mar 2010, 08:35

The place I said is better, since each battle takes less than 30 seconds and you have little risk of messing up. You'll bring in around 9000 CP in ever minute or so.
EDIT: also you get get Bomb Cores that way, which are awesome for upgrading your weapons.
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 21 Mar 2010, 18:43

5 adamantoises later, and still no drops...
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
watshisname08

Postby watshisname08 » 21 Mar 2010, 19:31

Sigh...inadvertantly continued into Ch. 12, seems I'm not really strong enough to face a certain unskippable enemy...cannot go back to Gran Pulse...sigh me and my stupidity didn't even put a save when I was on GP.
A new start-up blog about life & gaming: http://midcorelife.tumblr.com/
And I succumbed to having a twitter: http://twitter.com/watshisname08
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 21 Mar 2010, 19:49

watshisname08 wrote:Sigh...inadvertantly continued into Ch. 12, seems I'm not really strong enough to face a certain unskippable enemy...cannot go back to Gran Pulse...sigh me and my stupidity didn't even put a save when I was on GP.

which enemy?
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 21 Mar 2010, 20:21

If it's the boss at the end of the cut scene then you're suppose to stagger it with Odin then take it out that way, otherwise you're pretty much screwed.
Nifty cut scene though.
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 22 Mar 2010, 17:03

For a game that's so stingy on gil, once you reach the 9th stage of the crystarium and start being able to kill Ortesoises, your gil can skyrocket in the matter of a single play session...

I went from 100k, to 700k, and thats after upgrading like 3 more weapons to stg 2 max
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 23 Mar 2010, 01:21

Dave-O_Boy wrote:Also I found out that most of the side quests are availible until after you beat the game. That's sooooo lame. Completely defeats the point of having side quests. More games need to just make the final boss the hardest boss.

Eh? I think I activated almost all of them befor beating the game. It took me a while to activate them all and get the chocobos, but that was because I missed the ruined city (not Fang's and Vanille's town) and the 2-3 quests that were there. But after I got the chocobos it seemed like I unlocked the rest of the side quests (mind you I couldn't beat them all)
Kag

Postby Kag » 23 Mar 2010, 20:01

Smeghead there are 64 missions. It's probably impossible that you unlocked them all.

Not because they aren't available (they are), but because they are mad hard, and go mostly sequentially, it seems.
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 23 Mar 2010, 23:53

Kag wrote:Smeghead there are 64 missions. It's probably impossible that you unlocked them all.

Not because they aren't available (they are), but because they are mad hard, and go mostly sequentially, it seems.

I completed about 40 of them (including some in the late 50s, and 61) before even starting on Chapter 13, some are a little tough to punch above your weight for, but not excruciatingly so...
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 24 Mar 2010, 00:10

I'm having a bit of trouble with a boss on chapter 12 but you know what? Good. It's about time I had a boss that challenged me. Hate how he just heals to max after getting him down half way though.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Kag

Postby Kag » 24 Mar 2010, 00:27

Rikadyn wrote:I completed about 40 of them (including some in the late 50s, and 61) before even starting on Chapter 13, some are a little tough to punch above your weight for, but not excruciatingly so...

They're not organized by difficulty. 51 and 54, in particular, are by far more troublesome than most of the ones following.

Darkobra, I'm not entirely sure what enemy you're talking about, but cast haste. It is the answer to just about every problem. Also curse and imperil aren't a terrible idea either.
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 24 Mar 2010, 04:07

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in the topic, as I'm afraid of inadvertent spoilers, but...

I've just reached the Archylte Steppe, and I'm dying immensely frequently. I know this isn't abnormal, as this is a place I'm expected to return to post-game, but I was wondering if anyone knew the best place to grind levels. I want to get everyone to level 4 on their three main classes before moving on.

Also, I was able to 5-star Mission 1 easily, but I horribly 0-starred Mission 2, even though the battle timer seemed to indicate I should have been able to do it. Any advice?
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 24 Mar 2010, 10:17

North section of that area, narrow path, you'll find a Behemoth and Lobo fighting each other. They both start off at half health, relatively easy, get the Behemoth first. A Diversity build will be enough.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
wartjr2373

Postby wartjr2373 » 24 Mar 2010, 10:21

There was a team of three Lobos and a Behemoth near the south entrance that I was almost able to beat, but after the Behemoth transformed, it OHKOd my party leader. These guys started at half health too.

Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 24 Mar 2010, 10:25

Normally the Behemoth will just focus on the Lobo. You might want to try adding a synergist at the start to boost your defences. Works wonders for that part of the battle.

Also, if you use Quake at the start of a pre-emptive strike, you can put them into stagger, make their first attack a launch with commando and keep them in the air until dead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Rikadyn

Postby Rikadyn » 24 Mar 2010, 10:49

...and done.

Decent ending I think...
wartjr2373

Postby wartjr2373 » 24 Mar 2010, 13:28

I'll try that, thanks.

Darkobra wrote:Also, if you use Quake at the start of a pre-emptive strike, you can put them into stagger, make their first attack a launch with commando and keep them in the air until dead.

Though, how would I get enough TP to use Quake at the start of every battle?

Return to “Video Games”