Fallout: New Vegas General Discussion

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.

Viva New Vegas! You've finally arrived, what will you do on your first playthrough?!

I'm gonna make my decisions based on my 'karma'
10%
I'm gonna join a specific faction
10%
Go through the Main Quest Line
19%
Explore and find special areas and tucked away side quests
22%
Pick a direction and start Walking
12%
Gather up some caps and hit the Strip until I'm broke
5%
Create a 'Power' Character to Dominate Through the Game
5%
Play the game based on a roleplay set up
17%

Total votes: 59
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Re: Fallout: New Vegas General Discussion

Postby Mister Fiend » 24 Oct 2010, 14:52

Matt wrote:No seriously. I can't get within 500yards of Nipton, or my 360 hard-locks.

-m

There's a patch now, maybe that will help. It might also help if you install the game to your hard drive, my 360 stopped freezing after I did that.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 24 Oct 2010, 15:28

Mister Fiend wrote:
Matt wrote:No seriously. I can't get within 500yards of Nipton, or my 360 hard-locks.

-m

There's a patch now, maybe that will help. It might also help if you install the game to your hard drive, my 360 stopped freezing after I did that.

this started after the patch, and I installed to HDD before I booted the game up the first time.

-m

I am not angry at you.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 24 Oct 2010, 15:56

Matt wrote:
Mister Fiend wrote:

-m

this started after the patch, and I installed to HDD before I booted the game up the first time.

-m

Just from a computer standpoint, that sounds like your memory is overloaded. I could be wrong though.
theashigaru
First Video: The Con

Postby theashigaru » 24 Oct 2010, 20:28

Man, I'm loving this game. I was a little concerned about how much I was going to get into it until I hit Freeside and Camp Mccarran. After that I realized how much depth this game has. Absolutely everything is better that FO3.

I've only experienced 1 bug so far, that being the NPC framerate drop, but that had a quick fix and no problems now (PC FTW).

The plot is so much more intertwined and complicated than 3's. The factions thing really helps out a lot too. The thing I'm especially happy about is the level of dialogue interaction with the NPCs. I've probably spent a good 10-15 minutes in the chat box with my current follower, Veronica, and I've only had her recruited for about 3 hours so far.
I'm forseeing some poor grades in my classes for the next couple of weeks! :)
Is it safe?
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Oct 2010, 06:33

Matt, I haven't experienced that specific glitch on my 360. I'm still playing the game from disc. I am, in general however, finding the game excessively glitchy, almost painfully so. More so than FO3.
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 25 Oct 2010, 08:21

So, uh, I got rid of the fiends in Vault 3. I found a chainsaw and gave it to my best bud Boone. Now Boone runs into everything with his chainsaw roaring. It's some sight to see Boone running at people cutting their heads off. It fills me with fear
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 26 Oct 2010, 05:16

Nightkin are a freaking nightmare, I'm going after then with a Cowboy Repeater and it takes like 15 shots to kill them. Doing only headshots too.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 26 Oct 2010, 07:52

Cureless_Poison wrote:Nightkin are a freaking nightmare, I'm going after then with a Cowboy Repeater and it takes like 15 shots to kill them. Doing only headshots too.

Really? I cleared out the nightkin in the Repcon facility with like 2 shots each. I was expecting them to be way harder than they were.

THOSE FCKING CHORVAX ARE THE NIGHTMARE.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Cureless_Poison

Postby Cureless_Poison » 26 Oct 2010, 10:10

I don't know what it is, I have 45 with guns on Normal Hardcore mode with a 90% condition gun. Just damn nightkin are beasts for me.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 26 Oct 2010, 10:30

That's... weird.

I had about a 40 guns skill when I went through there with a fully repaired cowboy repeater.

What's the DT of the gun you were using?

-m

I am not angry at you.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 26 Oct 2010, 11:09

I used the... sturdy caravan shotgun I think it was. I know it was a type of shotgun that took two rapid shots then reloaded 2 more bullets. Got it from pre-order bonus.

Anyway, 70 guns, normal hardcore mode, WAY more than 2 shots to kill. I took to running backwards, attacking their legs so they couldn't catch me. Repco facility too.

So what gun were you using? Because I want it!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 26 Oct 2010, 11:13

Darkobra wrote:I used the... sturdy caravan shotgun I think it was. I know it was a type of shotgun that took two rapid shots then reloaded 2 more bullets. Got it from pre-order bonus.

Anyway, 70 guns, normal hardcore mode, WAY more than 2 shots to kill. I took to running backwards, attacking their legs so they couldn't catch me. Repco facility too.

So what gun were you using? Because I want it!

Using buckshot, or slugs? because buck has a super low DT, and that's probably why. The repeater uses .357 magnum rounds. Packs a fucking punch.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 26 Oct 2010, 22:14

I had trouble with Nightkin too, but I was using a laser rifle and EVERYTHING has a high resistence to laser damage. Fortunately, I had Boone with me and he tends to kill things just by casting a disapproving glance. In fact, he seems to get annoyed when I pull out my gun at all.

Oh god, I'm his lame follower pack mule. Before long I'll be running into walls yelling "You like that?!" and ocassionally taking pot shots at Death Claws on the other side of map.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Oct 2010, 06:59

My Blade Runner gun seems to work OK. But I might try shooting 'em in the legs when I get back to the game, as Darkobra mentioned.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 27 Oct 2010, 13:07

Ah that'd explain it. I was using the buckshot.

100 guns now and got my sniper rifle. It was in terrible condition when I found it so I used some weapon repair kits. Now, sniping is my speciality. I went to the NCR Correctional Facility at night with intent to snipe out the watch tower guards and have some fun.

Imagine my frustration when I had to compete with Boone for sniping duty. I wish I could just ditch the bastard in Vegas, keep his perk and buy him a few lapdances.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 27 Oct 2010, 13:51

You can. You can stick him somewhere, tell him to wait for you and go questing for a LONG while before he abandons you and goes back to novac, and you get to keep the perk the whole time.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Cureless_Poison

Postby Cureless_Poison » 27 Oct 2010, 15:44

I wasn't too pleased to meet the Kings, being a bunch of douchey looking greaser types but The King has a fucking cybord dog! That's awesome!
Last edited by Cureless_Poison on 27 Oct 2010, 20:12, edited 2 times in total.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Oct 2010, 16:41

There's a spoiler tag, you know. Not that I care too much.
Kyogissun
First Video: Three PS3's or one of the X ways to Y

Postby Kyogissun » 27 Oct 2010, 18:12

(Spoiler Tags used to keep from spoiling key points of quest chains and revealing of discoverable non-main factions)

The King himself is a pretty okay dude, his 'philosophy' behind is tribe is at least a bit more respectable than say, The Great Kahns and it's not as borderline 'cult-ish' as the Boomers are so I give the guy props for having what is basically a 'controlled' gang.

Also, if you finish his quest chain, you get one 'favor' from him, with four possible choices. One in specific is getting to ask him to enforce a cease of all violent actions against the NCR, so it shows the dude is definitely cooperative and not a battle loving nutjob.

Easily, in terms of the level of 'respect' I have for all the factions in the game, the Kings are in the top five. Not even the BoS cuts it for the top ten because of their annoying leader. Were it not for the fact that I can get power armor training from the Enclave Remnants, I would have gotten McNamara kicked out of the BoS and had Hardin replace him, but I wanted that BoS safehouse, it's SMACK in the middle of the Mojave and may well become my replacement safehouse.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Torchlight II

I attend (almost) every FNM at Millenium Games in Henrietta.

Steam: OhYouFoal
XBL GT: Kyogissun
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 28 Oct 2010, 01:59

(Spoilers...maybe)
Beat the game early this morning (early as in 4 in the morning) as a good NRC follower.

A few things occured to me.
I had Veronica as my follower; the problem I had with her (since I was playing a sniper) was that she tended to run into close combat even when I ordered her to use range (and even then she refused to use the range weapons (with ammo) that I gave her and used her crappy pistol instead). She also dissapeared somewhere once and didn't appear when I fast travelled so I ended up standing in one spot for a day befor she showed up (most have had a loooong run).

I took the "Wild Waste" perk when I started, yet it didn't seem to have any noticable effect on the game. I had the "Wierd stuff" icon (or whatelse to call it. It plays a ufo style music and the mascots eyes turns into swiwels) apper 3 times, but I don't see how they could be part of that perk as 1 was a Life of Brian referance writen on a wall. 2 was a Quest for the holy grale (they really like the phythons) referance (holy frag grenades!) and 3 was... I don't know.
I entered a cave and the icon appeared. so I started looking around for the source but found nothing. i mean there were giant rats in there and an awesome rifel called The Ratslayer, but how is that unusual for fallout?

Also, I killed Ceasar; had hoped that at least someone in the NCR would reward me, but no one seemed to wanna do that.

Something that bugged me was that several factions remained "friendly" (or at least didn't attack you on sight) despite me killing them off like crazy. I mean I must have killed hundreds of legioneers, yet they never attacked me unless I attacked them first. That... really seems like something that shouldn't happen.

Also; More music damn it! -.- All the stations play the same songs and there really only seem to be like 6-8 songs. is it THAT hard to buy music from the 1950s for a game?

No stealth suit :(

Now don't get me wrong with these issues. I fricking LOVE the game, it's the only thing I've been playing for a week now, and I imagine that I'll be playing for a lot longer.
I really love the weapon mod system; it's only too bad that it is somewhat hard to buy the mods since they are rather rare (some i've only seen on sale once).
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 28 Oct 2010, 03:07

Thanks for the advice, Matt. I'll be glad to have the sniping glory for myself. It just doesn't feel like Fallout to me with the companions, either. In FO3, I loved the idea of me versus the world. Tackling super mutants, running out of ammo and having nothing to save me but my combat knife.

I had something similar happen in a vault. Ran out of ammo and had to fend off the enemies with a combat knife. I had told my companions to wait at the start of the vault. So the adrenaline surged through me with the thought of taking down some powerful enemies with just my knife and then I noticed their heads blow up. BOONE AGAIN! The bastard.

Oh, also bought some carbon fibre parts or something for my sniper rifle to reduce its weight by 5. That SHOULD make it 3 weight but the part is bugged so it's still the full 8 unfortunately. I hope they fix that one soon.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 28 Oct 2010, 06:34

Ok, figgured out what the third Wild Waste alert was all about. the rats in the cave were called Rodents of Unusual Size
Cureless_Poison

Postby Cureless_Poison » 28 Oct 2010, 07:02

That and one of the first things you run into with that perk is outside of Goodsprings when you do the tutorial and hunt geckos.

One will find a fridge with a skeleton called "Adventurer" left inside with a nice fedora crowning it.
Spatial Coffee

Postby Spatial Coffee » 28 Oct 2010, 08:56

I was little disappointed by the Blade Runner Gun. It's supposed to be one of the best guns in the game, like in the original Fallout, not the peashooter it is in New Vegas. =\
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Oct 2010, 09:18

Peashooter? Ah... I think it's pretty awesome, actually.

Return to “Video Games”