Fallout: New Vegas General Discussion

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.

Viva New Vegas! You've finally arrived, what will you do on your first playthrough?!

I'm gonna make my decisions based on my 'karma'
10%
I'm gonna join a specific faction
10%
Go through the Main Quest Line
19%
Explore and find special areas and tucked away side quests
22%
Pick a direction and start Walking
12%
Gather up some caps and hit the Strip until I'm broke
5%
Create a 'Power' Character to Dominate Through the Game
5%
Play the game based on a roleplay set up
17%

Total votes: 59
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Re: Fallout: New Vegas General Discussion

Postby Mister Fiend » 26 Jul 2011, 19:02

Old World Blues is FANTASTIC! It's what the rest of New Vegas was missing.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 27 Jul 2011, 06:36

I just finished my play through of the DLC, and I'd have to Old World Blues is the best. Game play is mostly fun (except for one mission), the new items are cool, the humour is...familiar. They really nailed the over-dramatic 1950's style sci-fi atmosphere, with all the added Fallout style humour you'd expect. Plus, it's hard to find fault with a game where you (spoilers)get to have an argument with your own disembodied brain.

Dead Money is...not as bad as people say, I think. Again, the story and atmosphere are perfect. Oppressive and gloomy. Doom seems to pervade everything. The characters are all well written and realized. And the over-arching message is delivered perfectly. Too bad the game play is so terrible. The collar thing was a neat idea, but it got really annoying really fast. And ghost people tend to feel like bullet sponges.

Honest Hearts is pretty bleh, I thought. Game play wise it's much better then Dead Money, but not as good as Old World Blues. The story is less interesting, though the characters are pretty cool. Specifically Joshua, who's story is really what the DLC is about. It just feels like it's something there to add back story for the last DLC.

Actually, I get the feeling that the main goal of the first three DLC is a setup for the final one. All these references to the Divide, and Ulysses and the battle between couriers. The Lonesome Road better be pretty damned awesome.
Cornmancer
First Video: Something on unskippable

Postby Cornmancer » 30 Jul 2011, 09:54

Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games, and I really, really want New Vegas but my big regret with Fallout 3 was that I never got the DLC because I was too broke when they came out and I'm not buying the entire thing again on Steam just for the DLC. I know the last DLC comes out soon, any news on when the GOTY comes out?
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 04 Aug 2011, 21:54

Cornmancer wrote:Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games, and I really, really want New Vegas but my big regret with Fallout 3 was that I never got the DLC because I was too broke when they came out and I'm not buying the entire thing again on Steam just for the DLC. I know the last DLC comes out soon, any news on when the GOTY comes out?

While waiting is probably the best course of action for the console versions, steam sales make it pretty pointless for the PC.

The pricing on the GOTY is undetermined currently, however it is worth noting that FO3 GOTY was $50 on PC at launch. I'd place the NV GOTY between $30 and $50

If you plan to get the game on the PC you can probably afford to just buy separately. Last month Best Buy had NV for $10, and steam had the first two DLC for $3 each. Even if you bought the next two DLC at full price that would amount to $36. Even if the GOTY is priced at $30, $6 isn't much for getting the game now instead of 3-6 months from now.

This weekend is currently the Quakecon sale on Steam. It is extremely likely there will be a daily Fallout sale, where I suspect everything will go half off. This would allow you to grab the game and first 3 DLC for $25. With the final DLC priced at $10 that comes to a total of $35. Still a great deal, and there is still a chance the final DLC will be discounted at some point before the GOTY comes out.

For the extremely thrifty who picked up the $10 game and $3 dlc last month their final price (assuming the third dlc goes half off over the weekend) is estimated at $31. Even at the worst case scenario they have wasted $1. Not a bad price to be able to play the game and DLC now.
and now; back to me.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 05 Aug 2011, 02:11

So I'm spending the utmost last of my money on the new New Vegas DLC. Looking forward to seeing THAT insanity with Wild Wasteland perk.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 05 Aug 2011, 15:00

Darkobra wrote:So I'm spending the utmost last of my money on the new New Vegas DLC. Looking forward to seeing THAT insanity with Wild Wasteland perk.

If it hadn't been for the little icon popping up, I never would've known the encounters were wild wasteland stuff.

This is not a complaint.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 07 Aug 2011, 03:19

So I started playing a little last night and I see what you meant, Gollom. DAMN, that's whacky, crazy and FUCKING EPIC! I haven't loved any DLC this much since Operation: Anchorage.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
ANeMzero

Postby ANeMzero » 07 Aug 2011, 09:02

As I predicted, Fallout NV and its DLC are 50% off today. Yay for deals.
and now; back to me.
VanHelsing23

Postby VanHelsing23 » 10 Aug 2011, 20:59

Best part of Old World Blues: There is a class of enemies called "Y-17 trauma override harnesses", which are suits originally designed to evacuate wounded soldiers from the battlefield by taking over their motor functions; They are now basically autonomous walking space-suits with skeletons inside which will attack anything they see. And if you have the Wild Wasteland trait, you will occasionally hear them say "Hey, who turned out the lights?"
War is hell.
Hell is other people.
Therefore, War is other people.
Robert Merlow
First Video: Phailhaus 11

Postby Robert Merlow » 11 Aug 2011, 02:43

Oh, God. Oh, God. I haven't gotten to that part yet, and now all I will think about are shadows that will eat you when I play Old World Blues. Thanks.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 11 Aug 2011, 07:17

I always wondered what those skeleton suits were. And that clip is scary as hell.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 11 Aug 2011, 09:44

I hadn't encountered anything like that with the trauma harnesses and was kind of confused. I looked it up on the wiki, and it only occurs at one place and is a wild wasteland encounter. Still pretty cool, though I didn't find that clip scary so much as funny. The hallowe'en mask banging against the helmet was pretty funny. Maybe it's scarier in context?
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 11 Aug 2011, 09:53

It's the repetition of what he's saying. A human you were talking to moments before. You know something's wrong. And then he's a skeleton. And he's walking towards you! And I was FIGHTING THESE THINGS IN NEW VEGAS!
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Shinneh
First Video: field?

Postby Shinneh » 24 Sep 2011, 15:55

So, the lonesome road. Was pretty damn fun, plus now I have a flare gun, deathclaws beware.
Valliac
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Valliac » 25 Sep 2011, 21:51

Just picked the game up on a deal. Enjoying so far. Only wish it wasn't given to me on XB360. Not a big fan of open-world RPG's on console. Needs mods for this kind of thing.
"Also known as a 'Trigger-operated EVERYONE deterrent'."
Streaming at: http://www.twitch.tv/Valliac

Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 26 Sep 2011, 14:40

Lonesome Road was ok. Kinda short and WAAAAAY too much talking. Sierra Madre level of talking.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 26 Sep 2011, 16:41

It's a Fallout game? Talking a lot is kind of it's thing.

I was pretty disappointed with Lonesome Road. I only got to play it once before my monitor died (:x) but it felt like kind of a let down. It was built up in the last three DLC to be this big, epic confrontation between two couriers. It builds up so well to that point in the DLC itself and then it just sort of...happens. The confrontation felt so unsatisfying. It was well written, though, as all the DLC have been. But Ulysses wasn't a good villain. Suffered from the same problem I had the Kriea: very well written, but too sympathetic to be the big bad.

Plus his method of speech was very grating. I ended up skipping through most of the spoken dialogue because god damn, I don't have all freakin' day. Oh, is that what you meant, Darkobra? I'd agree in that case; dude takes way too damn long to say anything.

Also E-DE is the best damned thing every. Love that little guy.
ANeMzero

Postby ANeMzero » 06 Feb 2012, 22:58

For anyone who has been waiting for it, the "Ultimate Edition" of FO:NV is now available on Steam for $40

However, if you were looking to save money, you should probably wait a bit longer. Had you bought the game and DLC over the recent holiday sale it would have been under $20. Or if you were impulsive like me and just bought everything the very first time it went on sale it would have cost:

$25 for New Vegas
$3 each for Honest Hearts and Dead money
$5 for Old world blues
$2.50 for Lonesome Road
$1 for Gun runners
$0.50 for Couriers Stash

For a total of $40.

At this point the only way to justify your waiting is to simply wait more.
and now; back to me.

Return to “Video Games”