I did it...

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Beta-guy

I did it...

Postby Beta-guy » 15 May 2010, 18:48

as some of you know I've been outspoken against the Xbox 360 due to the RROD and lack of Blu-ray support, well Sony once had a great Gaming console, they used to have a console that had card readers, full backwards compatibility, and Linux Support, Sony released a firmware update on April 1st, that removed Linux support on consoles that already supported it. I not being in the habit of volunteering to lose features I paid for haven't updated but that comes a price, I can't play online, I can't buy new games/content, and my PS3 from what I hear now has limited functionality in terms of being a Blu-ray player.

Today I bought an Xbox 360 it has lots of problems but it's a Console that supports HD graphics, and hasn't been losing features like the PS3 has. If Sony get's their act together, great but Sony now has to realize they created a situation that made a loyal customer question why I should ever buy a Sony product, if they think they can remove features from products that people already paid for. Anyways the xbox 360 has some great games that I had wished that it had came the the PS3 like dead rising etc... so I'm hoping the xbox 360 doesn't die on me, and that Sony learns that pissing of Customers isn't a good idea.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Re: I did it...

Postby Arius » 15 May 2010, 19:56

H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 15 May 2010, 20:18

Beta, I can appreciate a man that can swallow his pride. The vigour with which you argued against the 360 in the past was vehement, so this is quite the turnaround. Welcome to the fold.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 15 May 2010, 20:29

Have fun paying a monthly fee to play your console.

Were you even using your PS3 for Linux?
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 15 May 2010, 21:32

Dave-O_Boy wrote:Have fun paying a monthly fee to play your console.

Were you even using your PS3 for Linux?

yes, not often granted but I currently have Ubuntu installed on my PS3. Even if I didn't use the feature I believe it was wrong of Sony to remove the feature as it was a feature the consumer paid for, and with it gave the freedom to install Linux on the PS3 if the consumer wanted. I'm keeping Linux.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 16 May 2010, 08:02

Don't forget Alan wake comes out on the 18th

seems like a good place to start for exclusives

dead rising two comes out quite soon as well
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 16 May 2010, 08:15

Dave-O_Boy wrote:Have fun paying a monthly fee to play your console.

It's 60 bucks. For 13 months.

That's just under four dollars and 62 cents a month.

Even I could afford that.

Also, it should be noted that people make the RROD out to be a bigger deal than it actually is.

I have a release day console (ok, I got it a week after release, because I realized that the arcade sucks nads and returned it and got the better one), and it hasn't Red Ring'd yet.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
UnspeakablePat
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby UnspeakablePat » 16 May 2010, 09:06

I'm on my third xbox, im pretty sure once your on the new chip-set (the xbox with the hdmi port is a good indication) the chances of a RROD are highly unlikely.

I've also heard of the PS3 having some bricking issues, anyone care to enlighten me on that issue?
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 16 May 2010, 09:20

Wow, gave up your gaming console to have a really shitty linux computer, congrats...

Also, no one ever lost their backwards compatibility or card readers, if you bought a system with them you still have them.

Sony pulled linux as it was becoming a security threat, I have no problem with this at all.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 16 May 2010, 09:50

theDreamer wrote:I have a release day console (ok, I got it a week after release, because I realized that the arcade sucks nads and returned it and got the better one), and it hasn't Red Ring'd yet.

That's just inviting the sweet delicious irony of a RROD now.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 16 May 2010, 09:59

Keab42 wrote:
theDreamer wrote:I have a release day console (ok, I got it a week after release, because I realized that the arcade sucks nads and returned it and got the better one), and it hasn't Red Ring'd yet.

That's just inviting the sweet delicious irony of a RROD now.

You say that, but I've been pointing this out for years.

Still no RROD, but always so much irony.

I mean, warranty has expired.

It didn't RROD the day after, like irony dictates.

I really don't expect it ever will.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 16 May 2010, 10:00

Hmm you appear to have an irony-free anomaly. This warrants further investigation... For Science!
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 16 May 2010, 10:02

I think the irony is that people _expect_ irony.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 16 May 2010, 10:44

If you want irony, my the disk drive on my xbox died two weeks before my RROD warranty ran out.. So my system was effectively dead, but I couldn't return it on the warranty D:
and now; back to me.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 16 May 2010, 11:24

UnspeakablePat wrote:I've also heard of the PS3 having some bricking issues, anyone care to enlighten me on that issue?

It's very rare (less than 1%.)
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 16 May 2010, 12:55

I have had a PS3 and Xbox 360 for a while now, and I can tell you that Microsoft dropped the ball with the lack of Blu-Ray and HDMI (one of them they fixed, not that it benefited early adopters) however my PS3 has not seen a game in I don't know how long. The 360 has a much better library of games in my opinion, the price for online play is nothing really, if you can't pay 5 bucks a month you really shouldn't be dropping $300 on a console. The issues with red ring are annoying, but It's only happened to me once, besides Microsoft fixed it for free, a few weeks without games won't kill someone, and even in the time my 360 was gone I didn't use my PS3 for anything but Blu-Ray movies.
Aside from that, I haven't hooked my PS3 up to a network in a while, Netflix streams on the 360 and I have no games I want to play online for PS3, I have a PC for that and a 360 for Halo:Reach. The PS3 had/has the potential to be phenomenally better than the 360, but it lacks good exclusives and good online games (Yes I know God of War 3, and Little Big Planet, but that's it) Now that they are removing features it seems they will never make the PS3 what it could be, but that said, God of War 3 was fantastic, and it was a decently priced Blu-Ray player when I bought it. So overall having a PS3 is nice, but the 360 is really a better game system at this point, if only because they have more games. (In the same way the Saturn was great, but both the N64 and PlayStation had better games) Wow, that's a wall of text... :?
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
The Cake
First Video: Eternal Sonata (unskippable)

Postby The Cake » 16 May 2010, 13:03

Keab42 wrote:Hmm you appear to have an irony-free anomaly. This warrants further investigation... For Science!

Maybe his irony waveform will collapse after he starts taunting it.
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 16 May 2010, 13:30

GreigKM wrote:... my PS3 has not seen a game in I don't know how long. The 360 has a much better library of games in my opinion, ...

Personally, The only game I have wanted a 360 for is Ace Combat 6, otherwise the 360 has had maybe 1 other game I'd play (Forza). Mind you I don't play shooters...so...really...the 360 has had nothing to interest me in buying one...then again I bought the PS3 for GT5...and yea...

Though I've only ever played 1 Blu-Ray movie on my PS3, it has been strictly a gaming machine for the most part(have owned about 20 games)
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 16 May 2010, 16:33

Rikadyn wrote:Wow, gave up your gaming console to have a really shitty linux computer, congrats...

Also, no one ever lost their backwards compatibility or card readers, if you bought a system with them you still have them.

Sony pulled linux as it was becoming a security threat, I have no problem with this at all.

I bought a PS3 with full BC and card readers, I got YLOD and sent it into Futureshop under warranty, and they lost my PS3, they downgraded me to a console that has no card reader, and no BC. and with the Linux removal I end up having paid $700 for a $300 console
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 16 May 2010, 19:01

UnspeakablePat wrote:I'm on my third xbox, im pretty sure once your on the new chip-set (the xbox with the hdmi port is a good indication) the chances of a RROD are highly unlikely.

I've also heard of the PS3 having some bricking issues, anyone care to enlighten me on that issue?

It doesn't have any decent games... it's bricked off the shelf.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 16 May 2010, 19:54

WHY does a PS3 need linux on it in the first place.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 16 May 2010, 19:56

the ps3 problem is 1% and yet I know 4 people personally who ahve had the problem, all bought from different locations over years.

I'm betting the number is a little understated.

also I own about 40 games for x360, and 2 for ps3, one i got for 5 bucks and haven't played yet, the other is 3d DOT and just bought it this week, and I'd still rather play on through mass effect 2 instead.

also that's balls beta, I would have raised hell for days over that one till you got some sort of compensation. good chance they didn't lose it, some tech guy just needed parts for his own or something.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 16 May 2010, 20:09

Vaughn wrote:WHY does a PS3 need linux on it in the first place.

People who actually use (read: use, not just install without knowing what the hell they are doing and eventually forget about it) Linux on the PS3 are using the PS3 for its processing power. The US Air Force uses them in farms to run simulations and calculations. Some programmers use them for compiling.

Pretty much, anyone who actually installs Linux on PS3 for a reason will not be losing anything because they don't do the firmware updates. Though, when they send the PS3s in for repair, they come back with firmware updates which take away the other OS function. As well as if they need to buy more PS3s for their farms, they will get it with updated firmware.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 16 May 2010, 20:14

I'd imagine a lot of the people who really know what they're doing can get around a lot of the troubles, like a lack of blu ray updates and such anyways.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 16 May 2010, 20:15

Vaughn wrote:WHY does a PS3 need linux on it in the first place.

Can't... Resist... Temptation...
More like,why wouldn't a PS3 need Linux on a it, amirite??? :D
Feel free to hit me for that...
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much

Return to “Video Games”