Anybody pick up Red Dead yet?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
zfubarz

Anybody pick up Red Dead yet?

Postby zfubarz » 18 May 2010, 06:03

I'll be heading over in about an hour and a half when class is done for the day and wasting the afternoon with it rather than studying for my midterm

I am not at all paying attention in class
Emberwolf
First Video: The Mirror

Re: Anybody pick up Red Dead yet?

Postby Emberwolf » 18 May 2010, 09:43

This has to be one of the few games where my DAD has told me to look it up and consider buying it. Hadn't payed it too much attention until the TV ads started up recently on British telly. Now I'm trying to work out what I can trade in to get money to buy it on Friday.
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun....
Katharine Hepburn
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 18 May 2010, 10:12

It's not out here in the UK, it comes out friday. I put in my pre-order for it at HMV, who's incentive is if you pre-order the 360 version you get 800 Microsoft Points with it. If you pre-order the PS3 they are giving away the Blu-Ray of 3:10 to Yuma (is that what it's called?). I am getting the 360 version, those 800 points will pay for the Splinter Cell DLC that is coming.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 18 May 2010, 10:18

Both are descent options and better than here
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 18 May 2010, 10:27

I preordered it online, so I'll probably have it by the end of the week.
Joshua
First Video: Dont remember

Postby Joshua » 18 May 2010, 13:18

I got it at 12:01 am here, it is fantastic, and cougars are the scariest thing on earth, me and a friend where fist fighting on top of a cliff that over looks the Rio Bravo, and I punched him out, he stood back up and a cougar just tackled him off the side of a cliff.
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 18 May 2010, 15:07

Joshua wrote:I got it at 12:01 am here, it is fantastic, and cougars are the scariest thing on earth, me and a friend where fist fighting on top of a cliff that over looks the Rio Bravo, and I punched him out, he stood back up and a cougar just tackled him off the side of a cliff.

... I was on the fence about getting this game. A friend told me that her fiance was ignoring her even when she walked about the house naked because of that game. Now that was interesting as it was.

But it's multiplayer too?! AND fist fighting?! Right. I'm going out tomorrow and pre-ordering it for that movie too.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 18 May 2010, 15:12

I love the wildlife, I was doing the simpliest mission ever, racing a guy to collect herbs... well here come a bunch of coyotes to try and eat my brains!!!

suddenly the race is interesting and dangerous.

I don't think that was predetermined or anything either.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 19 May 2010, 13:07

Damn coyetes always trying to eat my horse
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 21 May 2010, 15:30

I have a spare code for the War Horse DLC, if anyone wants it send me a message and I will get that code to you. HMV was giving away the code with the game, and I already had pre-ordered the special edition with 3 bits of DLC, one of which being the war horse.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 21 May 2010, 18:21

I'm pretty interested in the game, but don't think I'll pick up til it goes down in price. There's other games I'm thinking about getting instead.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
The Cake
First Video: Eternal Sonata (unskippable)

Postby The Cake » 21 May 2010, 18:27

Yeah, from what I've seen it looks pretty much like an old-west version of GTA.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 21 May 2010, 18:31

I don't plan on getting it. It just looks like another open world game, I long for a linear game with a good story again... I think I'll just replay Riven again... or maybe get Super Mario Galaxy 2 in a few days...
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 21 May 2010, 20:48

It's by far the best open world game I've played in ages...
hmmm how to put it...

Ok think how alive and cool the world of GTAIV felt, it was pretty cool right. Still not necessarily a great game for everybody though.

RDR has the same feeling, but everything fits together much more organically, missions don't really seem forced, shooting is similar but much more satisfying, Dead Eye is not game breaking at all, but a very fun and useful while not making you a king of the west.

The world is seriously awe inspiring at times, and seems a lot like an elder scrolls game.

You will literally come across all kinds of random encounters, that can completely alter your goals for the day, and there is a huge variety to them as well, I've only come across a repeat once so far and i'm probably like 20% done.

Even stuff like treasure hunting is fantastic. literally a rough sketch on a dusty old scrap of paper, and you have to figure it out. So much fin though, and really rewarding, plus the world is so pretty it's just fun to explore.

Don't just write it off unless you absolutely hate anything to do with the west.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 21 May 2010, 23:48

College piled on the workload but I have it now in my hand. It will be a game for my summer time.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Joshua

Postby Joshua » 21 May 2010, 23:51

Just finished it, the end is great story wise.
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 22 May 2010, 02:58

So yeah the War Horse code is claimed already.

I played some Multiplayer last night, first couple of times in it was just a massacre, everyone running round shooting everyone else. It actually got frustrating because you would be shot, die and respawn a few feet from the person that killed you. And every game I played was working out like that, a few times I got into a shoot out match and had fun but I was beginning to think Free Roam was terrible.
Then when I was taking on a gang hideout on my own two guys rode up and started shooting at the gangs, after that we formed a 3 man posse and spent hours just taking down gang hideouts and blazing a trail across the old west, leaving piles of bodies in our wake. (only npcs, we weren't being d!cks and killing other lower level players)
If you can get some people together Free Roam is awesome, otherwise it is a giant deathmatch that can be very unforgiving.

Single player is awesome, refines and does everything better that GTA IV, and also is a much better setting for that type of game. I fast travelled everywhere in GTA because I found Liberty City boring but I never fast travel in this game because you will have fun on your travels all the time.
Kyogissun
First Video: Three PS3's or one of the X ways to Y

Postby Kyogissun » 22 May 2010, 03:11

I'll boil down my opinion to three lines of material:

-Single player is great, with damn good voice acting and plenty of activities to partake in
-Free Roam has lots of good co-op 'missions' to tackle. On top of that, it's a lot of fun to just ride around and shoot things up with buddies
-Multiplayer matches, if you get enough people together, can be a lot of fun and very exciting, but you need a good 8+ people or so to get a GOOD game going

And that's about it. I'm enjoying my rental of it very much and I can see this game lasting in my xbox for a couple more days, if not a couple weeks before I return it to gamefly.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Torchlight II

I attend (almost) every FNM at Millenium Games in Henrietta.

Steam: OhYouFoal
XBL GT: Kyogissun
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 22 May 2010, 13:23

I just got it today, only an hour in or so but I'm loving it.

Just exploring the land helping random folk and hunting what-ever game I please, it's the full experience of going out in the country without leaving the comfort of my own home. :D
Fatty_bo_Batty
First Video: Ways to abuse Shaolin
Location: Wouldn't you like to know? ...I dont wanna be molested.

Postby Fatty_bo_Batty » 22 May 2010, 22:33

Got it yesterday, and since then I've disapeared in a haze of wild-western badassery love-steam.
Ya know that scene in Robocop, where the guy melts? Her juices will do that to your junk.
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 23 May 2010, 01:08

Once Free Roam mode calms down and just stops being a huge Deathmatch and people start forming posses and banding together I think that mode will take off like crazy. Rockstar could add to this mode for a long time to keep people coming back to it, the possibilities for it are great I just hope it doesn't turn into GTA IV multiplayer and dies off after a couple of weeks.
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 23 May 2010, 02:36

I'm addicted to the multiplayer currently, despite all the posses forming. I like to just hang in the back and pick people off with my carcano riffle while they try to battle through they're hideouts. :)
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 23 May 2010, 17:02

You're kind of a twat poison
Joshua

Postby Joshua » 23 May 2010, 18:43

Red Dead Multi-player is so good, I just hope they add more shit to free roam, like expanding the territory and adding more gang hideouts, and add stuff from single player like skinning animals.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 23 May 2010, 21:33

I finally received it on Saturday and have been playing it all weekend pretty much. Single-Player for now though, but I'll probably do MP later. I just want to focus on getting everything done in SP first.

Return to “Video Games”