Favourite final fantasy game and character And worest

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Suplex. Train.

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 23 Jun 2010, 04:12

Best Game(s):

Six remains my favourite - great characters with interesting personal stories, good job system, solid story - with Nine, Four and Seven close behind. Overall I prefer the SNES-era titles to earlier or later styles of game. I liked the small party size and the job system in Five, but it didn't have the strongest story, and wasn't as exciting.

Worst Game:

I got bored with Eight and gave up fairly early on, but I think my judgment was partly skewed by the hate everyone else was giving it, so I can't definitely say it was worse than Two, Three or Mystic Quest. It was pretty bad, though.

Best Character:

Sabin for pure kickassery, although Locke is my favourite overall. Nods must go to Vivi for being a cute Black Mage, Cecil and Kain for being far more interesting starting characters than usual, and Butz/Bartz for being called Butz.

Worst Character:

Not really sure about this; in general, the playable characters I dislike are the ones from the games I dislike. In the better games there are still minor NPCs who are annoying, but at least they're not around much. I did have one character entirely spoiled for me: Exdeath is a really badass (if OTT) villain throughout Five, until you suddenly discover that he's a tree. I hate you, Squaresoft.

P.S. Yay moar Lavos!
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Re: Suplex. Train.

Postby Gollom » 23 Jun 2010, 08:38

ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:Best Game(s):
Worst Game:

I got bored with Eight and gave up fairly early on, but I think my judgment was partly skewed by the hate everyone else was giving it, so I can't definitely say it was worse than Two, Three or Mystic Quest. It was pretty bad, though.

Hmm, I forgot about Mystic Quest. I change my vote for worst game to Mystic Quest.

Also, everyone hates VIII so much, and I don't really understand it. :(
Cybren

Re: Favourite final fantasy game and character And worest

Postby Cybren » 23 Jun 2010, 09:29

mystic quest wasn't bad
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 24 Jun 2010, 06:24

I had to put a lot of thought into this. When I was thinking about this I only included the main series, not the spin-offs and stuff. All of my choices are IMHO.

Best Hero - Cecil - Easy to root for and heroic from the beginning yet goes through a significant arc anyway. He may not be original but he's the first character that pops to mind when I think FF hero.

Worst Hero - Squall - It's like a comity decided that we all liked Cloud because he looked cool and brooded so they striped all the rest of the elements and left us with this unlikable mess. I might have given FFVIII a chance if I could have gotten behind a hero I liked.

Best Villain - Kefka - Hands down. No reasons. No apologies. No extra terrestrial puppet master pulling strings. Just a mad man out to become all powerful and rule the world... and he does it!

Worst Villain - Seymour Guado - Just a whole bunch of WTF that looks like Joaquin Phoenix. I cringed every time this guy was on screen and not because of his villainy. The story was already difficult to follow and I honestly can't remember what his ultimate goal was other than a puppet for Sin.

Best Game - FFVI - Great story, huge and likable cast, an amazing villain, mind blowing music for the time, and varied mechanics polished to perfection. It may not be dazzling compared to today’s standards but the elements it gets right kicks the ass of about 99% of what's on the market today.

Worst Game - FFVIII - Pretty much a consensus that this is the one to beat on. Confusing story, unlikable characters, and broken mechanics. Nuf said.

Better than I remembered - FFIX - I think there's a gaming generation line cut between FFVI and FFVII so after putting FFVI on a pedestal and being crushed by FFVIII I didn't give FFIX the chance it really deserved. Thanks PSN for giving me the chance to right that wrong.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 24 Jun 2010, 09:23

Wait. The story of FFX was hard to follow? I always thought it was pretty simple. There's a guy who's your dad who's a giant prawn destroying the world being controlled by a spider. Geez.

But yeah, Seymour is stupid. His plan makes no sense. He wants Yuna to marry him so that she'll love him and then choose him to become her Final Aeon so he can become Sin and help destroy the world. But that makes no sense.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 24 Jun 2010, 10:45

Gordon Fearman wrote:Wait. The story of FFX was hard to follow? I always thought it was pretty simple. There's a guy who's your dad who's a giant prawn destroying the world being controlled by a spider. Geez.

But yeah, Seymour is stupid. His plan makes no sense. He wants Yuna to marry him so that she'll love him and then choose him to become her Final Aeon so he can become Sin and help destroy the world. But that makes no sense.

You forgot that the guy, and his dad, are both the dreams of dead people, that somehow got made real by an (un)dead guy. The dead people live inside a giant wall of corpses frozen into cement(?) in an area that looks a lot like that northern wasteland in FFVII. And you can summon Aeons, which are like the super-sayan souls of the dead dream people. Also, if you die, you become the grud...er, you become a fiend and try and kill the living.

Really, this isn't complex or ridiciulous at all.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 24 Jun 2010, 10:47

I know. It's very simple. Compared to one of the more complex plots like FFVIII. Or VII.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

shivering jemmy
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby shivering jemmy » 24 Jun 2010, 19:07

BEST GAME: FF Tactics - The only one I've played through three times and still love.

WORST GAME: FFX - I'm not a fan of the skills web and I kept getting bored with the story. I've started it four times and never gotten more than 10 or 12 hours in.

BEST CHARACTER: Vivi - He's cute, he's consistent and I liked playing him.

WORST CHARACTER: Yuna - Most likely just the way I played but it just seemed every battle I went into to try and make her stronger would end with 'Oh look. Yuna died. Again. *sigh*'
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 24 Jun 2010, 20:36

Try summoning an Aeon.

MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 25 Jun 2010, 00:56

shivering jemmy wrote:WORST CHARACTER: Yuna - Most likely just the way I played but it just seemed every battle I went into to try and make her stronger would end with 'Oh look. Yuna died. Again. *sigh*'

Or getting her to DO HER DAMN JOB amd use the mass amount of Cure she has at her disposal? Whenever I played FFX, Yuna never once died in battle.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 25 Jun 2010, 05:50

Gordon Fearman wrote:I know. It's very simple. Compared to one of the more complex plots like FFVIII. Or VII.

VIII I'll give you but VII?

Evil corporation thinks it's exploiting an ancient powerfull race for reaserch but in actuality it's an life hating alien entity that the ancient race died to contain. Now the evil is waking up, due to the same corporation killing the planet, and it uses it's puppets, [EDIT] including legendary super soldier Sephiroth created by the same corporation's research, to free itself. Some heroes and the planet itself fight back...

Pretty straight forward to me.
Last edited by aeric90 on 25 Jun 2010, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 25 Jun 2010, 07:23

I can't quite tell, but I think you're forgetting Sephiroth somewhere in there.

aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 25 Jun 2010, 07:51

Better?
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 25 Jun 2010, 08:34

Oh okay, now I see the problem. Yeah, that's completely wrong. Sephiroth isn't Jenova's puppet, it's the other way around. You don't even see Sephiroth 'til the second CD when Cloud decides to walk upside down and put the Black Materia in the crystal thing. The guy that's running around pretending to be Sephiroth is actually the headless Jenova from the Shinra Building. Sephiroth used his will to control Jenova and make it turn into an image of himself. Which is why (if I recall correctly) the scratch marks in the Shinra Building turn into sword slashes as you progress upwards and why Sephiroth keeps throwing limbs at you.

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 25 Jun 2010, 09:15

Gordon Fearman wrote:Oh okay, now I see the problem. Yeah, that's completely wrong. Sephiroth isn't Jenova's puppet, it's the other way around. You don't even see Sephiroth 'til the second CD when Cloud decides to walk upside down and put the Black Materia in the crystal thing. The guy that's running around pretending to be Sephiroth is actually the headless Jenova from the Shinra Building. Sephiroth used his will to control Jenova and make it turn into an image of himself. Which is why (if I recall correctly) the scratch marks in the Shinra Building turn into sword slashes as you progress upwards and why Sephiroth keeps throwing limbs at you.

Yeah, that's way less confusing.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 25 Jun 2010, 09:21

My point was it was more confusing.

Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 25 Jun 2010, 12:32

Gordon Fearman wrote:Oh okay, now I see the problem. Yeah, that's completely wrong. Sephiroth isn't Jenova's puppet, it's the other way around. You don't even see Sephiroth 'til the second CD when Cloud decides to walk upside down and put the Black Materia in the crystal thing. The guy that's running around pretending to be Sephiroth is actually the headless Jenova from the Shinra Building. Sephiroth used his will to control Jenova and make it turn into an image of himself. Which is why (if I recall correctly) the scratch marks in the Shinra Building turn into sword slashes as you progress upwards and why Sephiroth keeps throwing limbs at you.

Hmm.. no no... I'm pretty sure Jenova was controlling Sephiroth. From the inside. With her cells.

FFVII is far easier to follow than FFVIII IMO, but most importantly it marks the point in the FF series where stoies stopped being straightforward and started being more... annoyingly confusing.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 25 Jun 2010, 14:48

FFVIII is pretty simple.

They train you and your friends to become hired mercenaries. Mostly they send you to fight off the single most incompetant military, ever. Eventually, you (Emo McDouchebag), your roid-rage buddy, hot former teacher, and a bland 18 year old girl that looks 12, set off on a grand adventure. You pick up two more stereotypes, a douchey cowbow wannabe and a sapient manniquin. You face off a totally hot, but evil sorceress who is actually being controlled by another, eviler sorceress from the future. You get stabbed, standard issue RPG prison break, and your're off on another adventure. Turns out your school is actually a Transformer, you help it maximize and roll out, saving it from missiles.

Eventually, you and your group of misfit stereotypes discover you're actually all old friends! You don't remember, because the GFs you've been abusing the whole time rob your memory. Then you have a pretty sweet fight sequnce with the OTHER school, which is also a Transformer, but obviously a Decepticon. The totally hot sorceress becomes not a sorceress, but your manniquin becomes the new sorceress. There can be only ONE, per time period. You travel to the xenophobic, technolgically advanced country to cure them. They send your real doll into space, you chase her, eventually rescue her and in the process get a pretty sweet dragon spaceship.

Meanwhile, your friends fail at stopping the moon from crying monsters (seriously, this is not at all an exageration). You eventually meet up, turns out your childhood "sister" has magical time powers, and uses them to send you and your friends into the future to fight the above mentioned eviler sorceress. Fin. Roll credits.

It isn't hard to follow, it's just phenomenally stupid. And I'm one of the three people that actually LIKES the game.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 25 Jun 2010, 15:32

except that you don't get sent into the future to fight the sorceress. she actually wins, and your sorceress uses her time powers to make you immune to this world destroying event just long enough that you can fight the evil future sorceress before blinking out of existence, which is what the future sorceress should have done because there's no way she should have been able to survive the compression of all time.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 25 Jun 2010, 16:09

Right, I forgot about that part, it's been a while since I played. Also, I forgot about the gender-bending other sorceress who tries some really creepy bondage thing with your real-doll and you have to kill her so the evilier future sorceress has to send her consciousness into your manniquin, and can then kompress time. Thats when Ellone does her magic time...thing.

It does re-enforce my "phenomenally stupid" point, though.

And thats not getting into the peripheral stuff, like how the evilier future sorceress is actually your real-doll(supposedly), or the whole nonesense with McDouchebag's parents and the time-travelling consciousness.

In retrospect, I'm not sure why I like this game.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 25 Jun 2010, 16:44

Jillers wrote:

Hmm.. no no... I'm pretty sure Jenova was controlling Sephiroth. From the inside. With her cells.

No, that actually wasn't happening. In fact, Sephiroth was pulling everyone with Jenova cells to him, not the other way around. That's why Reunion was at the Northern Caves as opposed to the Shinra Building. Hell, he even convinced all of them to wear black cloaks.

Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 25 Jun 2010, 22:38

Gordon Fearman wrote:
Jillers wrote:

No, that actually wasn't happening. In fact, Sephiroth was pulling everyone with Jenova cells to him, not the other way around. That's why Reunion was at the Northern Caves as opposed to the Shinra Building. Hell, he even convinced all of them to wear black cloaks.

What? Did we play an entirely different game?
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 25 Jun 2010, 23:01

Well, I don't know what you were playing. Maybe Crisis Core?

Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 27 Jun 2010, 00:09

As much as I love FF games, can we all agree that the plots are ridiculous?
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 27 Jun 2010, 09:00

Well, of course.

At least Sephiroth isn't a tree.

Return to “Video Games”