JRPG Recomendations

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
evilgenius
First Video: How to talk like a Pirate

JRPG Recomendations

Postby evilgenius » 21 Jun 2010, 20:09

ok I've never really been interested in playing JRPG's but lately I been kinda of curious to see what I've been missing out on all these years. So I'm looking for recomendations on what to play I'd really prefer something I could play on PC but it doesn't really matter so have at it.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Re: JRPG Recomendations

Postby Cade Antilles » 21 Jun 2010, 20:30

Final Fantasy 6 (it was released in the States as Final Fantasy 3) for the Super Nintendo. I'm fairly certain you can find a ROM for it somewhere. I'd say to start there.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 21 Jun 2010, 21:13

Final Fantasy 6 is pretty dated though. Final Fantasy 7 and 9 hold up well.

And Dragon Quest 8 is top notch in production value but very old school in mechanic.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 21 Jun 2010, 21:29

Disgaea : Hour of Darkness is one of my favorites, Grid-style Strategy RPG

without any tips and stuff its possible youll get stuck without taking advantage of certain complex game mechanics, but its not a good solid couple hours of grinding old levels cant handle, and you CAN always go back.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 22 Jun 2010, 01:12

Matt wrote:Final Fantasy 6 is pretty dated though. Final Fantasy 7 and 9 hold up well.

-m

I disagree, Final Fantasy 6 still wipes the floor with 7. 9 doesn't compete with both.

Final Fantasy 8 is a good jrpg to get into, best final fantasy imo.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Kyogissun
First Video: Three PS3's or one of the X ways to Y

Postby Kyogissun » 22 Jun 2010, 02:34

On the OTHER hand, if you're looking for something a little more actiony and less turn based, you have quite a few options:

-Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 (As well as the DS game, the PS2 remake of Chain of Memories and the soon to be released Birth By Sleep in September!)

-The Tales Series (These are all somewhat hard to find titles, but I'd recommend Symphonia [GCN], Tales of the Abyss [PS2], Tales of Vesperia [360] and if you're desperate, Phantasia [GBA])

-The .hack Part 1-4 series and the .hack//G.U. trilogy, both on the PS2. 1-4's a bit more grind heavy however, but has somewhat superior voice acting and could be considered to be a bit longer series wise. It also has the OVA series .hack//Liminality accompanied with it, which is very enjoyable and works as a GREAT 'IRL' story to accompany the game. G.U. on the flip side, has better gameplay and is a continuation of the first series, with a better story, better cinematics and overall, just a more satisfying experience.

Now, another series I have to recommend is the Mana Khemia series. Now, while these games are technically turn based, they're what I call 'flashy' turn based games. This means over the top kind of battles, with enemies getting smacked around and having the crap beaten out of them, but not really showing physical signs of this damage. In addition to the fast paced and over the top battle, the games have GREAT alchemy (read: Item synthesis) systems that add for a good chunk of longevity to the game. The plots are typical JRPG faire, but they're very enjoyable games with decent to good voice acting.

There ya go.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Torchlight II

I attend (almost) every FNM at Millenium Games in Henrietta.

Steam: OhYouFoal
XBL GT: Kyogissun
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 22 Jun 2010, 03:11

I'll answer you with the answer I always give, and I doubt anyone here will disagree (though their suggestions are still great).

And that is: Super Mario RPG.

We can argue as to whether or not it's a great RPG on it's own, but as a game for beginners, there's really no comparison.
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 22 Jun 2010, 03:24

Vaughn wrote:Disgaea : Hour of Darkness is one of my favorites, Grid-style Strategy RPG

without any tips and stuff its possible youll get stuck without taking advantage of certain complex game mechanics, but its not a good solid couple hours of grinding old levels cant handle, and you CAN always go back.

Disgaea falls under tactical RPGs, so, uh...

Anywho, I'm getting pretty close to the end, and I've got about 75 hours logged.

Easily 50 of those were spent grinding in the item world.
evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » 22 Jun 2010, 08:43

@Lavos- Really I heard Final Fantasy 8 was the worst game in the series
@sdhonda- I play wow so grinding has never really been an issue for me is the game fun enough to off set the grind
@Matt- cool is there anything more modern you would recomend
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 22 Jun 2010, 08:52

evilgenius wrote:@Lavos- Really I heard Final Fantasy 8 was the worst game in the series
@sdhonda- I play wow so grinding has never really been an issue for me is the game fun enough to off set the grind

Persona 4?

There's not really anything more modern I would reccommend. JRPGs hit their peak in the SNES/PSX/PS2 era. They've evolved away from what I would consider "typical" of a JRPG now.

Classic final fantasy, chrono trigger, Mario RPG, these are the hallmarks of the genre.

The only things more modern I would reccommend are poor representations of "typical JRPG"

FFXII is as recent as I would go, and even that is wildly different.

-m

I am not angry at you.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 22 Jun 2010, 08:57

If you're looking for old school the recent Lunar remake on the PSP is a pretty easy sell. The story is great and the graphical update is wonderfull although the mechanics are still dated.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 22 Jun 2010, 09:24

The Shadow Hearts series (Don't forgot Koudelka, aka the best PSx jRPG), the Suikoden series (especially 2, maybe not 4), Wild Arms 1 through 4 (avoid 5 unless you like being drowned in cliches), and of course the entirety of the MegaTen (Shin Megami Tensei) Series especially if you're in need of a challenge.

If you want to be bored to death try Beyond The Beyond. haha.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 22 Jun 2010, 09:45

evilgenius wrote:@sdhonda- I play wow so grinding has never really been an issue for me is the game fun enough to off set the grind

Disgaea has the funnest grinding system in all of gaming.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 22 Jun 2010, 10:21

I'd also recommend anything Shin Megami Tensei.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 22 Jun 2010, 14:50

Matt wrote:There's not really anything more modern I would reccommend. JRPGs hit their peak in the SNES/PSX/PS2 era. They've evolved away from what I would consider "typical" of a JRPG now.

Classic final fantasy, chrono trigger, Mario RPG, these are the hallmarks of the genre.
-m

I am totally with you on this point.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Sylval
First Video: fun with microwaves

Postby Sylval » 22 Jun 2010, 15:27

I agree with Shadow Hearts the first 2 were very good the most popular was 2 but i really enjoyed the first as well as the 2nd.

And I dont care what anyone says Legend of Dragoon is possibly my favotite JRPG of all time. It seems to be a love hate game but i would give it a try and maybe you will fall in love with the game like I did.

As far as modern JRPG i actually beat Resonance of Fate recently. There wasnt alot to the story but the battle system was fantastic. It was enough to keep me going through the 73 hours it took me to beat it and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Side note for the game. It can be very difficult at times but I never spent hours up hours stuck on one fight. Its difficult but usually just takes you a few tries to figure out how to approach the fight.
“So, what you’re saying is that you have a problem that is totally your problem, but you’d like to find a way to make that problem my problem. But here’s the problem, it’s not my problem.”
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 22 Jun 2010, 16:09

sdhonda wrote:
Vaughn wrote:Disgaea : Hour of Darkness is one of my favorites, Grid-style Strategy RPG

Disgaea falls under tactical RPGs, so, uh...

Anywho, I'm getting pretty close to the end, and I've got about 75 hours logged.

Easily 50 of those were spent grinding in the item world.

Well then its a JTRPG =P
Its still awesome.
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » 23 Jun 2010, 14:51

Matt wrote:
evilgenius wrote:@Lavos- Really I heard Final Fantasy 8 was the worst game in the series

Persona 4?

There's not really anything more modern I would reccommend. JRPGs hit their peak in the SNES/PSX/PS2 era. They've evolved away from what I would consider "typical" of a JRPG now.

The only things more modern I would reccommend are poor representations of "typical JRPG"

FFXII is as recent as I would go, and even that is wildly different.

-m

yeah I see what you mean I went to game stop and got a copy of FFXII and Dragon Quest 8 and the gameplay is way diffrent although to be honest I'm liking the combat in FFXII so far.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 23 Jun 2010, 14:57

From the Golden Age of RPGS, you should play Secret of Mana and/or Illusion of Gaia if you want a game that's not turn-based (though beware the ai in SoM.)
I also recommend Xenogears, as it's my favorite JRPG.
And I'd say FFIX over FFVIII - FFVIII, story-wise, tried to do something new. Failed miserably. and suffered for it. FFIX is the most modern JRPG I can think of that is purposefully made in the style of the JRPGs of old.

...IMO
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 23 Jun 2010, 18:03

Due to the developers experience with the technology. FF6, made at the end of the SNES era, is less "dated" than FF7, made at the beginning of the PS1 era.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 23 Jun 2010, 18:20

For some on the go RPG action you can't go wrong with a DS loaded up with Chrono Trigger and Golden Sun.
and now; back to me.
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 23 Jun 2010, 22:51

Dragon Quest 8
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 23 Jun 2010, 23:48

Cybren wrote:Due to the developers experience with the technology. FF6, made at the end of the SNES era, is less "dated" than FF7, made at the beginning of the PS1 era.

Hah!
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 24 Jun 2010, 00:59

I don't think you can disagree: Good 2D is easier to look at than bad 3D, and FF6 is one of the best examples of visual design on the SNES

Don't play DQ8. It's a long boring boropolis.

Play ChronoTrigger. It's one of the tightest, most well put together games of any genre, let alone JRPG. The story is straightforward, with none of the meandering nonsense that later examples of the genre became associated with (RE: FF8), but leaves lots of open ended exploration and "sidequesting" to be had unlike some of the recent final fantasy entries (X, 13).

If Chrono Trigger feels "dated", either gameplay wise or visually, you're a forgledorn and should be snulled from the premises.
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 24 Jun 2010, 02:13

Agreed.

Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, FF6, Paper Mario 2, Golden Sun....

Return to “Video Games”