Starcraft II-ness is upon us And IDs

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
davefp

Re: Starcraft II-ness is upon us And IDs

Postby davefp » 31 Jul 2010, 21:50

I agree, playing Starcraft is completely different from my usual RTS forays (CoH and DoW2). I miss the cover system, squads and victory points. It seems that SC focuses more on overall strategy than low-level tactics. It's not just about building a huge blob of troops, it's about building the *right* blob at the right time. It's definitely tough switching my priorities to worry about the right kind of things, but it's fun. Plus the single-player is excellent.
8bitmaster
First Video: Forget about it

Postby 8bitmaster » 31 Jul 2010, 21:58

Tim wrote:
Agloriouscuppa wrote:And Tim, what gives man, you said you were going to post your name and ID. Step up, we want to own you.

By the way, this sounds awfully confident. : ) What makes you think I'm such a pushover?

I know you aren't I have played you in beta, and lost. Got better though just so you know. Ready for a rematch whenever. Also, the 4v4 I played with some of you guys, I lead you to victory. Hope my advice has helped you win future matches. Any of you need a teammate, send me a message.
Doing whatever, whenever, whoever.
PSN: themanwithaname
Steam: demonboy100
Twitter: @8bitmaster
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/8bitmaster
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 31 Jul 2010, 22:05

davefp wrote:I agree, playing Starcraft is completely different from my usual RTS forays (CoH and DoW2). I miss the cover system, squads and victory points. It seems that SC focuses more on overall strategy than low-level tactics. It's not just about building a huge blob of troops, it's about building the *right* blob at the right time. It's definitely tough switching my priorities to worry about the right kind of things, but it's fun. Plus the single-player is excellent.

That makes it seem like their arent tactics to Company of Heroes and Dawn Of War. I am often pressed in those games going, do I stand my ground and hold this line, or do I give a little way and sweep around the side. Of course I generally play Victory Points mode and I'm playing with other like minded individuals I know alot of CoH is, Rush! I just wish more RTS occasionally boiled down to a clear front line being established and little battles taking place along it whilst each side tries to further their own goals.
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 31 Jul 2010, 22:13

Dawn of War and DoW2 definitely helped me micro, and they helped me think about counters and unit mix, but StarCraft is a very different beast. You have a lot more to think about, and everything happens faster. You hsve to worry more about being caught off-guard by something you don't have a good counter for. In DoW2, you have more opportunity to retreat and regroup, in my experience, but that may just speak to my skill level.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 31 Jul 2010, 22:14

zfubarz wrote:I think it's the lack of a good wall off strategy and no early air defences that that does it for me, that plus the desperate need to micro your queens to keep up everything.

Other than Queens, are Hydras and Mutas the earliest anti-air for Zerg? What about spore colonies?
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Agloriouscuppa

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 31 Jul 2010, 22:24

Tim wrote:Dawn of War and DoW2 definitely helped me micro, and they helped me think about counters and unit mix...

Yes, I too can attest to Dawn Of War aiding my ability to micro, my problem is that with star craft each unit on the screen is a single one, where as in DoW2 each unit would usually be a squad. It just is very overwhelming as I haven't yet figured out an effective way to group multiple units together and use each of their special abilities (I'm sure someone knows and its probably really obvious but I don't know it). So in combat I'm frantically clicking and going no, not the marine the siege tank he's walking next to you dunce!
It doesnt help does it?

zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 31 Jul 2010, 22:51

Yeah they seem to be the best options for anti air. I can see hydras being really good with the range upgrade except against void rays.

zerg static D seems particularly useless, I've seen a couple pro level gamers use it well but that's about it.
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 01 Aug 2010, 08:12

Agloriouscuppa wrote:
Tim wrote:Dawn of War and DoW2 definitely helped me micro, and they helped me think about counters and unit mix...

Yes, I too can attest to Dawn Of War aiding my ability to micro, my problem is that with star craft each unit on the screen is a single one, where as in DoW2 each unit would usually be a squad. It just is very overwhelming as I haven't yet figured out an effective way to group multiple units together and use each of their special abilities (I'm sure someone knows and its probably really obvious but I don't know it). So in combat I'm frantically clicking and going no, not the marine the siege tank he's walking next to you dunce!

It's all about creating smart control groups and memorizing hotkeys. SC2 has some good features for making microing special abilities easier, some of which are carry-overs from WarCraft 3. First, only one unit from a group will use the special ability if you tell a whole group to, usually (unless it's something like siege tanks converting to siege mode). Second, you can switch between unit types within a control group with the Tab key.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 01 Aug 2010, 14:42

Yes, hotkeys are best, ive started using them especially for suppy depots, if any of you have played the 4v4 map, with one at each corner and one inbetween set on fastest, thats what i use the supply depots for is a wall, i work faster than zergs
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 01 Aug 2010, 22:09

gcninja wrote:Yes, hotkeys are best, ive started using them especially for suppy depots, if any of you have played the 4v4 map, with one at each corner and one inbetween set on fastest, thats what i use the supply depots for is a wall, i work faster than zergs

Hunters / Big Game Hunters? I assume there's a SC2 version of that...
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 01 Aug 2010, 22:19

'fastest map possible' is pretty close

and good lord, my 4v4 team won 4 out of our 5 placement matches and we still only got into bronze
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 01 Aug 2010, 23:50

Tim wrote:I'd like to learn to play Zerg better at some point. Right now I still have plenty to learn about Protoss still.

Zerg feels different, but the changes suit my playstyle.
Yamazuya

Postby Yamazuya » 02 Aug 2010, 00:20

The fact that you can't change the realm/server you play on is highly irritating. I know I could do it in the beta but that trick doesn't work anymore. I'd love to get my ass handed to me by some of you.
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 02 Aug 2010, 08:30

A quick reminder: the Vanguard/Bitmaster/Cuppa/Dave "Power Quartet" apparently has another three qualifying matches before we, as a team, can get placed into a 4v4 ladder. Keep this in mind...
ImageImageImageImage
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 02 Aug 2010, 09:17

4v4 kinda sucks though. It's always 4 people rushing one guy and then that team loses. I doubt it's much different in sc2.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Aug 2010, 09:45

I just got Starcraft 2, however I can only play campaign for the next month due to a distinct lack of internet access. Come September though, I'll be open to some matches.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 02 Aug 2010, 13:41

Cybren wrote:4v4 kinda sucks though. It's always 4 people rushing one guy and then that team loses. I doubt it's much different in sc2.

Meh, it depends on the players, but we still did well enough as a team. Lost the first game, won the second in an awesome spectacle when we hit our stride.

Oh, and funny story on the "rushing". I was in a 3v3 earlier and the enemy team rushed my and took out my Nexus and all of my probes before his force was wiped out. He neglected to actually touch the rest of the base, though, and because I had a lot of resources built up I was still able to build up a small force and wreck his team's expansions.

I won that match. Somehow. ^^
ImageImageImageImage
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 02 Aug 2010, 14:22

yeah 4V4 isn't all that bad actually, since you can chare resources and even control, you can have somebody who gets wiped out early micro a raiding party, or maintain the groups economies while the players still alive go around and murder

also good team tactics help stave off a rush. like warp prisms around the map by a toss player can be used to defend most incoming attacks until the base owner can focus his attention on it.

but then we're in bronze so who the hell knows.
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 02 Aug 2010, 14:39

zfubarz wrote:yeah 4V4 isn't all that bad actually, since you can chare resources and even control, you can have somebody who gets wiped out early micro a raiding party, or maintain the groups economies while the players still alive go around and murder

Okay, this is something that never occurred to me, as obvious as it sounds. I'll have to keep that in mind...
ImageImageImageImage
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 02 Aug 2010, 16:12

for the most part we've won by just maintaining my buddy's brother till he can mass rays and destroy basses in 30 seconds.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 02 Aug 2010, 17:42

My name change process is underway! woot! (as in, a GM has contacted me to let me know my name change request has been submitted for processing).

I'll let you know when it's complete.

-m

I am not angry at you.
davefp

Postby davefp » 02 Aug 2010, 17:49

Hah, I just played a beginner's multiplayer game. I was confused for the first 5 minutes as to why my SCV was refusing to go across the map and scout my opponent's base until I saw that there was a huge pile of rocks in the way *facepalm*.

Now I see why the beginner's league is called so: The rocks allow you to build up a sizable force without your opponent being able to sneak into your base early and rush you. This makes sense, but I think I'm a bit beyond that. Time to go play with the big boys, I suppose...
Agloriouscuppa

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 02 Aug 2010, 17:52

davefp wrote:Hah, I just played a beginner's multiplayer game. I was confused for the first 5 minutes as to why my SCV was refusing to go across the map and scout my opponent's base until I saw that there was a huge pile of rocks in the way *facepalm*.

Now I see why the beginner's league is called so: The rocks allow you to build up a sizable force without your opponent being able to sneak into your base early and rush you. This makes sense, but I think I'm a bit beyond that. Time to go play with the big boys, I suppose...

I had a similar match, my first opponent promptly removed his rocks whilst I just went around mine with reavers for scouting, he only sent sentinels after me though so I felt a little bad when I used 3 medivacs on his flank away from his defences to drop in a bunch of marines and siege tanks to which he just left. I'm trying to finish the campaign today/tomorrow in addition to doing all the other stuff I've got in my diary. The Big pile of rocks just strikes me as the game encouraging turtling. Which I'm fine with because thanks to Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts and the British Army in that game, I know hows to turtle as though I've never turtled before.
It doesnt help does it?

UDP

Postby UDP » 02 Aug 2010, 19:01

UDP is my name, code is 300. In North America. If anyone wants to play I'm down. I haven't played any multiplayer since the beta, I've just been trying to get achievements in single player and challenges.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 02 Aug 2010, 20:16

I never seem to get enough time to do anything, I always have a barricade of supply depots and by the time i get my marines done, i get rushed. Today i had a FUCKTON of marines and marauders, two thors, siege tanks, and hellions but still got owned before even leaving my base.

Also, i seem to always end up bottom or second to for the rankings on materials and everything.. why?!
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!

Return to “Video Games”