Let's Play Minecraft

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Bananafish

Let's Play Minecraft

Postby Bananafish » 28 Aug 2010, 21:36

(not really an LP)

What the Fuck is Minecraft?

What is Minecraft?

Minecraft is a game about squares.

In a world made of blocks, you (a rather blocky person yourself) must use your wits and common sense to build and carve a way to safety. This is a dangerous world, make no mistake – monsters appear from out of the dark, mountains themselves can roar at you, and an errant poke in the wrong direction could bury you alive under tons of soil.

But all is not lost. You’re a smart adventurer, after all. After tearing down some trees with your bare hands and building yourself a rudimentary shelter, you’ll begin to explore the mineral wealth of this new land – iron, coal, gold, and even stranger treasures await you deep in the cores of these mountains. The question is, can you work your way to the heart of the earth, plunder its riches, and return to tell the tale?

Developed by one-man creator Markus Persson (also known as Notch), Minecraft is a Java-based, sandbox-style adventure. It fits squarely among more difficult survival games such as Dwarf Fortress and NetHack, while keeping the simple charm of one’s younger building-block days. It is outwardly simple, internally complex, easy to play, and difficult to master. Perhaps best of all, despite being constructed of laughable square blocks, the game manages to deliver a wonderful atmosphere of fear, paranoia, determination, and reward all in one package.

All right, what can you do?

There are basically 3 modes of gameplay; Adventure, Survival and Creative.

Survival

Survival mode is great, you start out with your bare hands and nothing else, you are dropped into a randomly generated world and are forced to fend for yourself. At night zombies, gigantic spiders, and all sorts of ghoulies come out to try to kill you- or as someone else put it

Survival is a near-perfect example of what we hope developers mean when they start talking about "emergent gameplay." Beginning with nothing but the ability to punch the hell out of things in a variably hostile and procedurally generated world, you can with a little effort and luck and time build something worth bragging about to your disinterested family and friends. Build a house or a lake or a farm or a subterranean lava maze, brick by fucking brick. Hunt spiders for thread. Kill pigs for delicious ham. Master the red flower. Run out of torches so far beneath the earth that digging upwards in a panic is as likely to get you a face full of lava as it is to get you a face full of ocean. Build shit no one else has ever built in places no one else has ever been.

Survival mode features a lot of terrain, nearly 8 times the surface area of the Earth, in fact. Her's a video by Notch, the creator, demonstrating the randomly generated terrain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NszGurDUlHc

You can play around with lava, water, currently the only weather really available is Winter though. Notch also puts out a secret update every Friday.

Creative

It's still being worked on since Notch is first developing the multiplayer for survival but it is nevertheless awesome- You have an infinite amount of blocks and whatever you want to build anything, think of it as digital lego.

Adventure

Not much is known about this but Notch has mentioned it on his blog

This is a bit early, but we were discussing it on irc, so:

Announcing the Dungeons and Levers Expansion Pack

+ Dungeon Mode. Like Survival, except you can’t destroy walls or craft items.
+ Programmable Tiles. Pressure plates, levers, doors.
+ More mobs.
+ More usable items. (Potions? Teleporter stones? Keys?)
+ Official public level file format
+ Play on either player generated levels or randomly generated levels
+ 100% free for anyone who has bought the game!

[edit: This expansion pack will come in the distant future, after the game has been released. It’s currently only in the planning stages]

The rationale for Redstone
“But why”, some people ask, “are you making Minecraft programmable?”. The reason is, adventure mode!

The three main game modes when the game is finished will be:

* Creative mode. You can build anything for free, and there’s no health bar, and no inventory.
* Survival mode. There’s a health bar, an inventory, and you need to gather resources to be able to build.
* Adventure mode. There’s a health bar and an inventory, but you can’t destroy or place blocks, you can only use items.

(You can combine at least the two latter game modes for different players in multiplayer)

I foresee a future where people can design “challenge maps” in creative or survival mode, then share them with people so that they can try to beat them in Adventure mode. Being able to create interesting puzzles or trigger events requires some more advanced programming than the sand and water based stuff we’ve seen so far, yet still I don’t want to introduce real programming into the world.

I don't know, can my computer run this?

I've heard the general rule of thumb is if you can run Half Life 2 you can run this, it's not the most advanced game but don't let it's simplicity fool you. Here is also a Newbie Guide if you want to get started, currently it only costs $10 USD to buy it.

Wait, pay for a game that's still being tested? Fuck this.

Yes Minecraft is still in the Alpha phase but trust me, for $10 you are practically stealing this game but you also get

Here's what you get:

You never have to pay again!
You get all future versions of the game, including all expansions and addons.
You help fund the development of Minecraft
Custom skins in multiplayer
Once you've bought the game, it's yours. No DRM.
Survival mode!
Planned expansions:

Zombie Siege
Build your defenses during the day, fend off the incoming masses during night.
Capture the Flag
Defend your base and flag against the enemy team while trying to steal their flag.
Various custom level mods
Want to import a doom map? How about playing in a random dungeon?
And more!

After the game is actually released the price will about double so you should definitely buy it and support this dude because he made this awesome game by himself and he's practically giving it away.

You've sold me! Where do I go?

http://www.minecraft.net/

Currently though the site is being slow for some reason, he mentions this on his blog but says that he's currently away and can't repair the problem. It was a pain buying an account because of this but I figured it out with some patience:

After you go on register and type in the captcha just leave the page there for maybe 10-20 minutes and if the Username isn't taken it will take you to the page where you can buy it. It worked for me vOv

If you go on the site you can also play a free version that lets you dick around with blocks and see how the game runs on your computer. I should probably mention that while you can download a client to play the game you can also play it in your browser.

More Videos

Minecraft is Just Awesome

If you want a sort of startup video guide you can watch This Guy. You can watch the first couple to get a feel for the game and what you need to know but if you don't want the whole experience spoiled you should probably stop after the first few. The LP itself is really entertaining though and I'd suggest you watch all of his videos.

Links

Official Minecraft Forums
The Wiki
Developer's Blog
Developer's Twitter
A site where users submit skins you can use
Last edited by Bananafish on 28 Aug 2010, 21:56, edited 6 times in total.
Bananafish

Re: Let's Play Minecraft

Postby Bananafish » 28 Aug 2010, 21:39

Since I just recently started playing here's just some shots of my first day

Whoa, you made all this for moi? how grateful. Guess I better go punch some trees.

Whew, I built this great shelter near the top of a mountain, I thought I was safe but even in my cozy shelter I can still hear the snarls and moans of zombies outside, it's scary as hell.

Thanks to my ingenuity for building caves inside mountains I managed to survive the night, this place looks kind of neat.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 28 Aug 2010, 21:47

For new people, i would suggest taking a peek at the Minecraft Wiki Crafting guide. you can do ALOT of stuff.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 28 Aug 2010, 21:53

whoops, I forgot to add a list of resources to the op; thanks for reminding me
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 29 Aug 2010, 02:44

I've really wanted to play minecraft for a while... I think a LRR minecraft group would be something I could get into.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 29 Aug 2010, 03:05

I finished a nice trench wall this morning to keep mobs from coming into my grounds and wrecking my stuff, it's fun to watch them jump up and down at it's edge unable to climb over. Also spent some time removing my original defences to make things look a bit nicer outside my house. As my luck would have it though despite finding several underground caverns and such rich with iron, haven't seen a speck of gold or diamond, even near the lava flows.

But yesterday I lost my...well...yesterday playing it for the first time. 8 consecutive hours >_<
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 29 Aug 2010, 04:20

Oh man. This looks pretty amazing, from the vids. I'm glad I watched them, or I'd have dismissed this. Thanks Bananafish! :D

A LRR Minecraft group would be freakin' sweet. While I was watching the vids I was thinking about making huge stone halls in the mountains. XD

Do torches last forever, still, or are they limited now? And is there a way to make an unlimited source of light? 'Cause I'd imagine having to go ari=ound replacing all your torches would be a real pain. :P
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 29 Aug 2010, 04:47

Torches are still permanent, but they're extinguished by water. Light is also not cumulative, to the extent at least that a block covered on every side with torches is no brighter than a single torch's brightest point.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 29 Aug 2010, 04:57

Ah, but what about a column or pillar? I think I'd add ones all the way around a pillar anyway just for the sake of asthetics. ;)
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 29 Aug 2010, 08:33

A pillar, you say?

I kept getting lost and forgetting where Butt-Fish Caverns was so I said Fuck It and built a giant tower lined with torches as a landmark, what I did was I gradually built one tower while building another one parallel to it and right under me, then when I was finished I just knocked mine down! Hooray

Yes it's an overcompensatory eyesore but I don't plan on staying here long, I want to see what this so called world has to offer
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 29 Aug 2010, 12:23

Remember that if you die, you return to your original spawn point, it is suggested to make large torch/lava pillars or roads to find your way back.
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 29 Aug 2010, 12:53

I spent a little too much time on my own over-compensatory eyesore

It is worth noting that this was -not- built in creative mode.
Last edited by ANeMzero on 29 Aug 2010, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
and now; back to me.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 29 Aug 2010, 13:30

how do you get those ariel views?
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 29 Aug 2010, 13:38

Yeah, I've got a tower on mine at the moment, originally as a lookout point to try and spot spiders before I managed to get enough string for a bow, it now serves as a good landmark, though when I made my defensive wall I put my spawnpoint inside of its boundary.

I keep finding more and more caves and subterranean tunnels but I've still yet to find anything above iron on the pecking order. Getting a touch annoying.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 29 Aug 2010, 13:47

Why is it we get this SAME thread once every 3 months but people dont complain but rather play? also, why dont we have a wiki?
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
zanlow
First Video: Phailhaus 1

Postby zanlow » 29 Aug 2010, 14:07

I had to dig straight down for awhile before I reached all the good stuff, It cost me a lot of ladders and I was only a few blocks above the bottom of the world where you would just fall to death, but I did find every mineable resource down there, Diamond, Gold, etc.. I was happy until my computer crashed...
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 29 Aug 2010, 14:08

I wouldn't know

I got overconfident and went too deep, I found some diamond but I accidently walked into a lava pool, burned to death, and lost all my useful crap. Time to head off to a new island, Butt-Fish Caverns holds too many painful memories.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 29 Aug 2010, 14:40

Vaughn wrote:how do you get those ariel views?

Minecraft Cartographer

choose the map you want, mess with the settings (Oblique/cave mode will increase the time needed to render) and click okay.
and now; back to me.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 29 Aug 2010, 14:58

Just tried that, thrice times fell into a vein of lava...the third time I accidentally hit it in a bubble of obsidian...

Continuing to dig down whilst simultaneously ensuring I have a ladder path back up, as well as routinely returning with whatever I manage to mine and storing it incase I do fall in again.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 30 Aug 2010, 12:01

aaaand bought, considering all the time I spent in the free version I figured i owe it to the guy.

does it ever stop snowing in an area? or will it stay like that till i move somewhere new?
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 Aug 2010, 14:15

Weather currently doesn't cycle, it's either one state or another. The only change in environment really is day/night.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 30 Aug 2010, 14:49

is there a console command or something to change it or will I have to start a whole new world?
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 30 Aug 2010, 16:12

I thiiiink its regional, if you head far enough youll change.
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 30 Aug 2010, 19:07

Ahhh thts cool, I'm in a wamer place this time, there's actually cacti on the beaches.

What ate those rocks that look like coal but with yellow? I thought it might be gold but there was no new pile when checked my inventory

also does sand or loose rock drain water? I found a waterfall in a cave. So I checked for the source and blocked it off, but then the cave only went like another 15 feet and the only difference was that grayish soil was in a few places. And all the water slowly disapeared from the lower section.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 30 Aug 2010, 20:05

No, nothing soaks up water. Yellowish dirt is Clay, you can Furnace it to make bricks, and then use bricks to make Brickblocks
Theres two kinds of Water, Spring blocks and flowing water.
Flowing water will go out like, 5 squares in whatever direction has a drop the closest to it, if theres a tie, or no drop, itll flow in multiple/all directions.

If there is no Spring block feeding flowing water, itll run out.

if you use two bucket, and dig a little 3x1 ditch, and place it like
(Water) (nothing) (Water)
The two waters will flow into the nothing, and make another spring block. I think. It might need three around it actually.

also, All ocean is Spring-water so you can usualyl take a bucket from it, and itll replenish itself, what with it usually being constantly surrounded by more.

Flowing water can carry items and monsters and you. I like to use water to Impede monsters. Theres a Youtube video of a guy using it to make a Shooting Gallery. Monsters flow from the right, and you shoot them as they go by =P

AAAAaaalso, if you want to make a stream continue, you gotta have at least a 4block long by 1block down slope. Each time water drops, its flowability is replenished.
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*

Return to “Video Games”