So I might catch flack but....

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
gcninja

So I might catch flack but....

Postby gcninja » 31 Oct 2010, 16:00

I've never played a bioware game. Ya ya, *le gasp* i know.
So, I've been debating what games to try. I've heard nothing but good stuff about all of them, but I'm not a big RPG fan. I've tried borderlands (i know,not a bioware game) and well, I haven't touched that since june and the two hours I played it. So I'm kind of worried about Mass Effect, but i think the reason is I like team based stuff as opposed to just me, which is why I love TF2.

Dragon Age sounds fun as well, I have not see much gameplay but I know the story can be good, and long...

So what bioware games do you suggest? Note, I am on PC so my best bet would be Steam.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: So I might catch flack but....

Postby empath » 31 Oct 2010, 16:30

the Baldur's Gate games are available in a nice, handy, modern-O/S-compatible version for the cheap over on GOG.com; that RPG series is considered Bioware's breakthrough hit.

Neverwinter Nights was pretty ground-breaking, too - but the original campaign is SOOOOO LOOOOOONG. :?

Mass Effect/Knights of the Old Republic are both pretty good (and had essentially the same storyline)

KotOR II: the Sith Lords was, unfortunately, rushed out the door unfinished - I hope ME2 fared better...

I'm staying hopeful that they can translate their offline-RPG prowess & success into a good MMO with The Old Republic, but nothing is for certain.

As for NWN2 and the Jade Empire & Dragon Age properties, I cannot say as I haven't played any.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 31 Oct 2010, 16:49

TBH, I'm a massive NWN fanboy and I'd heartily recommend you go and get Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition off GoG.com and either play through the main campaign if you can get into it, else play through the tutorial level of the main campaign, save your character sheet at the end and then go play HotU which is personally my favourite of the expansions, somewhat shorter and more involving than the main campaign and sufficiently unrelated that you don't lose anything by having not played the main campaign (although I would suggest playing all the campaigns/modules, because they're all awesome!) Not to mention the fact that NWN has an absolutely brilliant multiplayer mode and an incredibly vast modding community! What more could you ask for?
NWN2, whilst still a good game, was developed by Obsidian and in my opinion hasn't got a patch on the original!

Baldur's Gate is also good, but I think that might be more single player focussed. Dragon Age is a move away from the D&D stylings, but follows a similar vein with the whole Bioware fantasy RPG thing they've got going on, and you command various members of up to a 4 player team (no multiplayer though) and although I enjoyed playing it, I haven't finished it and I kinda lost impetus nearer the end of the game.

Mass Effect is a great game in its own right and a definite step away from the fantasy genre which Bioware does so well. and apart from a few niggly things which detracted from the gameplay somewhat, it was a really fun game with a compelling storyline and a generally fun experience! I think its quite cheap on Steam too!

As for ME2, either of the KotORs and Jade Empire, I've yet to actually get round to playing so can't actually comment, but they're bound to be fairly good quality.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 31 Oct 2010, 17:35

Ok, so I have played a bioware game, Jade Empire, i didn't realize this. too bad I only made it to like the "second level" where you can choose which style to learn in that village.. thing (sorry its been ages)

Ill have to look up if its available on steam. And I might try DA because though no multiplayer theres still other people.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 31 Oct 2010, 18:33

Baulder's Gate introduced me to D&D, and while I recommend it, I don't think the gameplay will have aged that well for your first offering.

Neverwinter Nights introduced me to erotic mods to video games. That was...interesting.

KotoR was awesome, I highly enjoyed it, and I highly recommend it.

Mass Effect never really grabbed me, despite being essentially identical gameplay-wise to KotoR.

The rest I've never played.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
goat

Postby goat » 31 Oct 2010, 19:29

I really liked Mass Effect. It's all the fun of an RPG, but you still get to shoot things in their faces.

Speaking of which, I still need to re-finish the game and then play the second one....
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
empath

Postby empath » 31 Oct 2010, 19:57

:shock:

$9.99...

NWN, Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark, another handful of premium modules, and all the latest patches for all of it.

FOR TEN DOLLARS?!?

Image *incoherent ranting at 'missing the boat' and spending much more for same*

...on the other hand, I've had my copy of Diamond for...well, four years... :?

I suppose it all balances out...still feel like I've been cheated...

ANYWAYS, yeah, NWN would be a good stepping stone to get into it - Baldur's Gate is old 2D sprites, while NWN is 3D modelling; a little easier and less jarring to 'scale back' to.

....*grumble* ten bucks *grumble*...
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 01 Nov 2010, 00:29

gcninja wrote:Ok, so I have played a bioware game, Jade Empire, i didn't realize this. too bad I only made it to like the "second level" where you can choose which style to learn in that village.. thing (sorry its been ages)

Ill have to look up if its available on steam. And I might try DA because though no multiplayer theres still other people.

NWN has other people, though mainly in the form of a semi-permanent (though swappable) henchman/woman plus most spell caster classes have a summoned familiar to accompany you as well. There are probably mods out there to allow you multiple henchman as well, but they might break the game in terms of power levels...
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 01 Nov 2010, 01:24

if you want a now fairly cheap RPG that isn;t quite so bone-crushingly deep and meandering like more modern RPGs (i'm looking at you Mass Effect) get a hold of KotOR. Really good game with a much tighter story than the more modern Bioware products.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Spatial Coffee

Postby Spatial Coffee » 01 Nov 2010, 04:05

KotoR and Jade Empire are the easiest to approach, I think. Aside from the battle systems, the gameplay is pretty similiar in both.

Mass Effect is a nice action packed space opera, though it's not what I'd recommend if you're looking for a complicated roleplaying experience. Sure, there's a lot of interesting choices to be made, but often they just boil down to either being a rogue badass or a paragon niceguy.

Dragon Age: Origins has a lot of good dialog and a deep story, but that's not saying much considering that all BioWare games are like that. It revolves less around moral choices and karma levels, though. This is the game I'd recommend if the RTS styled battle system doesn't give you seizures. ;)
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Nov 2010, 08:32

Man, I wish I would find a copy of KOTOR one of these days.
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 01 Nov 2010, 08:58

Steam has a downloadable version of Knights of the Old Republic for a fairly reasonable price, as well as Jade Empire. Now might also be a good time to pick up Dragon Age: Origins as they have just released the Ultimate Edition which features both the original game, plus the Awakening expansion and all 9 DLC packs for a quite frankly ridiculous saving!
Also, since it hasn't been linked Baldur's Gate on GoG.com. I will also take this opportunity to plug an oft forgotten Bioware game (though not an RPG) MDK 2, which is an amusing and varied FPS, with a variety of puzzles and a brilliant sense of humour! Where else would you find an atomic toaster making weaponised toast?

Apologies for the blatant link spam though... Just felt it worth pointing out.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Nov 2010, 09:02

Kotor for the Xbox, thanks.
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 01 Nov 2010, 09:45

Ah, though, why you'd choose to play that sort of RPG on a console makes no sense to me! There seems to be loads of copies going on Ebay at the moment though...
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Nov 2010, 10:12

'Cuz I have a five-year-old Mac iBook that's just barely chugging along as it is...
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Nov 2010, 10:46

Myrph wrote:Ah, though, why you'd choose to play that sort of RPG on a console makes no sense to me! There seems to be loads of copies going on Ebay at the moment though...

Because there's no difference in the quality of the gameplay between the two, at all. (having played both)

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Nov 2010, 11:07

Let's not... get into this, again.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Nov 2010, 11:23

not intending to. But it's pertinent. There actually is no discernable difference in the gameplay between the two, they are fundamentally identical.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 01 Nov 2010, 11:35

I don't know if has been said, but if you are going to try Kotor 1 play it on xbox. the xbox 360 i don't think even runs it, and any of the ported copies will hate your computer. And your computer will hate it. (In other words it's buggy, has horrible load times etc. even on really good gaming computers....)
Games I have played otherwise
KOTOR II (It was awesome)
Mass Effect (It was awesome as well although many will complain about gun play and such.)
Mass Effect 2 (Also good but many of the RPG heavy elements were sacrificed brutally for stream lined gameplay and lower complexity.)
Sadly that's all I've dabbled in... I need to go pick up Dragon Age (possibly for Mac since I heard the 360 version was trashy and poorly done :( )
My 2 pennies worth.

Matt wrote:Because there's no difference in the quality of the gameplay between the two, at all. (having played both)

-m

Agree with Matt here, I played the same game on different platforms.
^( " )^
winner!
Myrph

Postby Myrph » 01 Nov 2010, 15:55

Matt wrote:
Myrph wrote:Ah, though, why you'd choose to play that sort of RPG on a console makes no sense to me! There seems to be loads of copies going on Ebay at the moment though...

Because there's no difference in the quality of the gameplay between the two, at all. (having played both)

-m

I'll admit I'm prejudiced against CRPGs on consoles, but I'll also admit here that I haven't actually played KOTOR yet (its high on my list of games to play though), so to be quite honest I haven't a leg to stand on here! Nice to hear both are as good as each other though, I think the guy who suggested I get it originally had it on the Xbox and sang of its many virtues on that platform!
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 02 Nov 2010, 00:56

KOTOR runs on the Xbox 360, not well but it runs on it. Also I have both KOTORs on Xbox and heartily enjoy them. I see no difference in playing it on a computer or console.

Also best introduction to Bioware's games now (especially if you are going to play on a console) is the first Mass Effect. Also it introduces a brilliant crafted world and sets the stage for the "epicness" that is Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect is a trilogy, so playing the first one (IMO) is essential, it would be like watching The Empire Strikes Back without seeing Star Wars (I refuse to call it the other name). Sure it has its flaws but it is well worth the time put into it.
Dragon Age: Origins is also pretty nifty on consoles too, I played both the PC and 360 versions and had more fun on 360 because I could relax on my couch with a controller in hand and play a good game with a good narrative.

You COULD go back and play the back catalogue of Bioware's games, but I would advise against it, unless you grew up with them, they are hard to control and you might not be as forgiving of the graphics as most people. The Baldur's Gate games are especially hard on the eyes. KOTOR is fun but you need to bear in mind it is a generation behind what we are used to know, but the solid writing makes up for it.

All in all, I would say go with the first Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins then go onto Mass Effect 2, you will see a huge leap in game styles between ME1 and ME2.

Now I will await the severe backlash from the people who loved and played Baldur's Gate back in the day and they will call me names, say I am wrong and all other such things.
empath

Postby empath » 02 Nov 2010, 02:54

You have weak eyes. ;) I imagine you'd die of cerebral hemorrhaging if someone subjected you to something as 'coarse' as an EGA adventure game like King's Quest #! :lol:

But anyone who says Mass Effect was as good on a console as on the PC is deluded; that game was a case where Bioware actually DID something during the port beside shovel over the limited graphics and restrictive control system; pity no one's ever seemed to repeat that effort ever since. :(

...oh, and my copy of KotOR still runs fine on my Windows 7 laptop, just like it did on two previous computers...
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 02 Nov 2010, 03:01

the bit of mass effect that I did play had far too much repetitive, cover based shooting. If you want an RPG where you can focus a little more on the RPG and less on the crap combat (because there is a lot of it) Mass effect might not be a great shout.

then again if you're into cover based shooting them go for it, i mean that's fun right? just like grinding an MMORPG is fun.

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 02 Nov 2010, 03:02

So so far, I'm thinking of getting ME, DA, and JE. I'll prob start with ME cuz who can resist an awesome technological future and blue ass (:P). Then JE and if I get through that DA.

iamafish, I LOVE CoD:MW/2 so I think I'll like ME

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 02 Nov 2010, 03:10

The problem is that COD is built for this sort of combat and pulls it off pretty well, whereas in mass effect it's a lot less simplistic.

Then again the combat in KotOR essentially boiled down to clicking buttons of various different kinds and hoping that eventually the people you were trying to kill died. ok there were more tactics in the harder battles, but mostly it was just clicking the mouse to tell your character to do a certain variety of attack.

My Twitter

Return to “Video Games”