LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7342
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Apr 2014, 13:25

I can also put up signs for explanation. If people refuse to read, their loss.

Also, the plan is to eventually have stuff like that, but that'll take weeks of building. I wanted something useful now with the potential for modification later.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Volafortis
Posts: 926
Joined: 17 Jun 2011, 23:30
First Video: I am a spam bot.
Location: The frozen wastes, Minnesota

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Volafortis » 12 Apr 2014, 14:11

I think making the teleports rather expensive is a good thing. Keeps rails relevant.
BlackDragonMTG
Posts: 49
Joined: 09 Feb 2014, 13:47
First Video: Friday Nights - Returns
Location: South Floriduh

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby BlackDragonMTG » 12 Apr 2014, 14:18

I have to agree with vola on the pricing...definitely should be fairly expensive to use as people like myself can easily earn dongs needed for anything we want. Even if they aren't fortunate enough to have a spawner xp farm near their base they can always get to spawn then sit at the grinder for a bit to earn some excess dongs to teleport after they're done with their shopping.
User avatar
Foxmar
Posts: 838
Joined: 26 Aug 2012, 11:19
First Video: The Break
Location: Some backwoods town in north Florida.
Contact:

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Foxmar » 12 Apr 2014, 14:59

I will third the expensive pricing option.

Also Im enjoying the random teleport option. Never know where you might end up! Ive surprised two people so far and only one hit me!
Image
User avatar
Lord Hosk
Posts: 6587
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 08:30
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Apr 2014, 15:15

Image
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
User avatar
KinoGami
Posts: 88
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 22:24
First Video: Desert Bus Killed the Internet Star
Location: Southern Interior BC, Canada

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby KinoGami » 12 Apr 2014, 15:44

Endermen stand against the wall
User avatar
Foxmar
Posts: 838
Joined: 26 Aug 2012, 11:19
First Video: The Break
Location: Some backwoods town in north Florida.
Contact:

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Foxmar » 12 Apr 2014, 16:00

Wow Hosk lol
Image
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7342
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Apr 2014, 18:41

3 Things

First, 3 new blocks added to the Market at 500 Dongs a piece. They're the bugged stone slab blocks. One looks like pavers on all sides. One looks like sandstone top on all sides. One looks like oak planks.

Second, Mycelium and Podzol have also been added to the Market, at 300 and 450 Dongs, respectively.

Third, to whoever modified the paths in Spawn City and dug a bunch of caves... Not cool guys. Not cool.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7342
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Apr 2014, 21:30

Also, I'd like to know when this self-fulfilling prophecy will stop...

People do things without talking to me about it first.
People don't talk to me because they're afraid of me.
They're afraid of me because I typically lash out when I get upset.
I get upset when I'm surprised by things and don't understand.
I get surprised by things when people don't talk to me before-hand.
Cycle continues...

Something's got to give at some point.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Lord Hosk
Posts: 6587
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 08:30
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Apr 2014, 22:03

I dont think people are afraid of you, I think a lot of things that surprise you are things people just didnt think you would care about. They didnt ask you because it was a minor thing and then are just as surprised that you get upset as you are at seeing thing.

Now I get you being upset by people messing with spawn, thats just a load of crap for whoever tunneled under spawn and built a river or whatever it was that happened but a lot of stuff is just not that important, either you are getting upset because you see it after seeing major issue, or you need to relax on stuff that isnt a big deal.

Try this. If you see something you consider wrong in someone area, tell them.

For example, you didnt like the rail line from Fort Dix to the Wall. There are four options I see.

Option one: "Dix, Hosk, there is a rail line between your areas, you need to ask before putting in rail lines, someone needs to tear it out."

Option two: "Uh a rail line I didnt build, this is ugly, someone should fix it. Dix, Hosk, there is a rail line between your areas, it looks terrible someone needs to fix it or im ripping it out"

Option three: "uh a rail line I didnt build... well it doenst seem to hurt anything, Ill move on"

Option four: "AHHHHH! This is illegal, im ripping it out!


Or when you were looking around EastWatch by the sea and you said "whats this cavern thing all about" when I explained that it was my old Ice farm that I ripped out but didnt bother filling in you said "UHHHG you are one of THOSE people"

Option one "that could spawn mobs and really cause a problem could you dig it out and fill it in?"

Option two "UHHG you are one of those people"

Option three (shovel shovel, plop plop plop plop plop)

I filled it all in by the way, it took 73 dirt blocks and 4 minutes.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7342
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Apr 2014, 00:03

To me, as admin, everything can be a big deal, especially when the rules are broken.

Regarding the second thing, that's not quite what I said... I said, "Oh... You're one of THOSE people... ;)"

The ;) indicates a joke, if you hadn't heard before. If it really bothered me, I would've fixed it then and there. It didn't bother me, so I left it.

Regarding the first thing, that issue is 90% solved now, but there are rules that need to be abided by. Ignoring the rules means ignoring me, and ignoring me is personal.

Also, I see no difference between Options 1 and 2 in your first scenario.

And you're missing Option 5, which is what I actually did: Calmly, methodically remove it without getting upset. I was dispassionate about the whole thing, since rule-breakers aren't really people in my book, so I'm not going to get upset. I'll just do what needs to be done, no matter what they think about me. They're not people; they don't count.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
Posts: 342
Joined: 12 Dec 2011, 15:13
First Video: Fun with Microwaves
Location: Englandland

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 13 Apr 2014, 03:53

AdmiralMemo wrote:I was dispassionate about the whole thing, since rule-breakers aren't really people in my book, so I'm not going to get upset. I'll just do what needs to be done, no matter what they think about me. They're not people; they don't count.


I really hope this is a joke.
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Avatar by Featherweight
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7342
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Apr 2014, 05:11

It wasn't. Why might you think it was?

It's how I've coped with stuff for the past while. If you'd like to go back to the old system, where I did consider them people, we can do that. Have fun playing on a server that goes up and down every few days because someone else decided to offend me.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Sibanamush
Posts: 33
Joined: 19 May 2013, 07:27
First Video: No Idea.
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Sibanamush » 13 Apr 2014, 06:49

AdmiralMemo wrote:Have fun playing on a server that goes up and down every few days because someone else decided to offend me.


Memo , I think a lot of people are just completely caught off guard by what ends up offending you. You end up calling people griefers , and dehumanizing them for things they intended absolutely no malice in doing. When you react by flipping out at them , or by undoing what they did without an explanation of why its wrong and what it's impacting other than 'its ugly' or 'it offended you' or 'it broke the rules' (without it being clear what rule was broken or how), Why is it a surprise to you when their reaction to you dehumanizing them for reasons they don't understand might be to not like that and try to avoid it in the future, by avoiding interacting with you? Just because you decided you're not going to treat someone like a person doesn't mean that they aren't one.

As for your cycle,

People do things without talking to me about it first.

Click to Expand
I think this is really the biggest problem in the cycle. People can't check with you about everything that they're going to do in the game, it would mean no one would be able to do anything , and it would be a ridiculous overload of just useless junk for you to deal with.

I think for people to tell you about things that they're going to do that you want to know about beforehand, that they need a very clear list of things that you want to know about beforehand. Right now from my understanding things to talk to you about first are
- Building in a new area / claiming land
- Building something so large it extends outside of 150 x 150 block area of the land you've been approved on
- Changing or adding something to spawn ( the limit of the area of where 'spawn' is is a little hazy )
- Building rails that extend outside of your claimed area or connect to the rail system
- Activating a Nether portal

Anything outside of that I personally wouldn't approach you about because I don't want to give you something more to have to deal with that I don't see as being something worth bothering you about. Its the 'worth bothering you about' part that needs to be defined.

People don't talk to me because they're afraid of me.

Click to Expand
Simply put, yeah. They're afraid that you're going to take offense to something they've built for a reason that they don't understand and undo something that they've put a lot of time and effort into, that as they have yet seen has had no negative impact on anyone. Or get yelled at, or be the cause of the server being taken down.

You've established a precedent with your reactions , and people want to avoid them. I know there have been a lot of calm cool reactions where you've handled something perfectly and things have gone on smoothly, but those reactions aren't the ones people remember, because most of the time , they don't even know they've happened.

They're afraid of me because I typically lash out when I get upset.

Yes, and they don't know what it is that's going to upset you. People are afraid of you lashing out about something , and they don't know what things you're going to lash out about. Without knowing what things to do or not do to avoid that reaction, their only way of avoiding you lashing out is to avoid you.

I get upset when I'm surprised by things and don't understand.


Click to Expand
I think there are two parts to this, Surprise and understanding.
For Surprise, I think a lot of it has to do with what I said about avoiding you , and about size creep. Someone wont tell you about something because they don't want to bother you with something that they don't think they need to potentially take the risk of upsetting you over, and as far as they understand it , is completely within the rules for them to do.
So they start quietly working away on whatever, and it doesn't effect anyone , no one complains. So a few days go by and they add something more , they expand, they build , they play minecraft. then three weeks down the road you come by and encounter the rail system they've built to connect two parts of their project that's grown and evolved. and you flip out at them because you didn't know about any of their project, the rail they've built offends you because its ugly , or why-ever , and you get mad.

To you , theres suddenly a giant project you knew nothing about and part of it has ticked you off for whatever reason

to them they've just been playing along for a long time, slowly building and expanding, adding to their base and making it their home. Nothing they've done has caused any problems to this point, but now suddenly the entire thing is in jeopardy because something about it bugged you , or they're getting yelled at and called a griefer when they had no malicious intent.

As for understanding, frankly I don't understand this. You've numerous times said you want to foster creativity, but you're upset if you dont understand why something is there before you encounter it? It seems like its an issue for you if you dont know about everything before hand. Why is it a bad thing for you to discover something you didn't have an understanding of , and be able to be shown and informed? There are three things I enjoy most about minecraft, those are

1) getting to give tours of my things to people - I really enjoy having people discover what I've made and getting to show them around , and explain what things are and how they work. Its a lot of fun to have someone appreciate your work and get enjoyment from the discovery and exploration of it.

2) Helping people build things or understand things - I love being able to help someone work on a project. Showing someone a redstone circuit that will help, pitching in and assisting in the build by placing blocks or clearing an area, or even just being able to donate some materials to the cause are all really rewarding.

3) Discovering peoples creations. I LOVE being able to go into someones base and explore their corner of the world, see how they've done things , getting to discover how their system works so I can use it to improve my own , and just getting to enjoy discovering something awesome that someone has made are great!

These are the reasons that I'm playing on a multiplayer server and not cloistered away in single player; Sharing, creation and discovery. So I'm coming from a position where I genuinely don't understand why its a problem for you to discover something after its completed and get enjoyment out of that, or whats so wrong with not understanding something before hand...
In my experience one of the greatest things about minecraft is being able to show and explain something I've made to someone, but if you're that someone I'm afraid that the interaction isn't going to be a fun discovery. I'm afraid that instead of getting to show this thing to you and explain how it works and be excited about sharing , that you're going to get mad that I built it without telling you about it first, and be mad that you don't understand it. The enjoyment in showing something you're proud of to someone instead turns into trying to defend what you've done, and that's not fun at all.


I get surprised by things when people don't talk to me before-hand.

Click to Expand
Again, I think we need a way of knowing what we need to talk to you about first, and we need a way of being able to show you something after the fact without being worried about you getting mad about it.

I've built some really cool things that I really enjoy giving people tours of, but I'm afraid of mentioning them to you (even in the context of mentioning them in this post right now) for fear that you're going to get mad at me about them for some reason that I don't understand , and potentially completely erase my days and weeks of time and effort and enjoyment because something I did offends you in some way I don't understand. I genuinely don't believe that I've broken any rules or that my creations have caused any problems, things have gone along smoothly without showing them to you, and I feel that by not bringing them to your attention you would never have any issue with them. I also feel that If I do say something ( like I feel I am right now) that I'm risking having to defend myself and having to fight to try to not have my works destroyed.

Cycle continues...


I think that the problem is that the only context people are used to seeing you in these days is dealing with issues and getting frustrated at problems. And they don't want to risk something that they have time and love invested in becoming one of those issues or problems. I think the only things people see you doing on the server are fixing problems, getting mad about new issues you've discovered, or building in creative mode in spawn city. That ends up creating distinct line between you and the rest of the players. I feel like the mods that are in place are players that are approachable, they have their own bases and projects that they work on and I can go visit, they chat and hang out and play minecraft with the rest of us. but it has seemed like for you Memo , that you aren't one of us that also is the admin, you're just "THE ADMIN". the 'admin base' is an area that if you go there you get jailed and yelled at for ignoring the signs to stay away, When you're online you're dealing with problems, you dont want anyone's help to work on projects you need to do it all your own way. And thats fine, but it also makes you seem much less approachable.

Though, having said that I'm also going to say that in the past few weeks, I've noticed things being generally less stressful , and interactions with you have seemed to be getting a lot better. I've enjoyed watching you work on the teleport building , and seeing you playing the game, not just dealing with problems. I was genuinely excited and happy that you asked for my opinion on something in spawn, it showed me that I'm not a non person to you and that you can want to ask for my input, and that you want to hear my opinion. You were hanging out in the chat and talking to people, joking around and having fun, not yelling at people to stop overloading you with a wall of noise.

I remember when you popped into my base when I was working on the sorting system , and helped me to work out how to get those frigging redstone lamps to blink and not interfere with their neighbors, and how I was excited to share it with you when I finally got a design that worked.

In short I've had a lot of fun, and like interacting, with "Memo, the minecraft player" (who happens to also be the admin ) and I've been seeing more of that lately , and not "Memo, the stressed out, pissed off admin" that you want to avoid accidentally setting off.


As a sidebar, I know that when I post on the forum here , it tends to be a giant long breakdown and analysis of something as a response to whatever. I hope that these rants are actually helpful opinions and that I'm not just annoying everyone by posting a giant wall of text that they don't want to wade through.
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7342
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Apr 2014, 07:58

Sibanamush wrote:You end up calling people griefers, and dehumanizing them for things they intended absolutely no malice in doing.
To me, malicious intent doesn't factor into the result, other than whether I ban them or not.
Sibanamush wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:People do things without talking to me about it first.
I think this is really the biggest problem in the cycle. People can't check with you about everything that they're going to do in the game, it would mean no one would be able to do anything, and it would be a ridiculous overload of just useless junk for you to deal with.
Most certainly true, and many of the rules in place are to prevent that overload. I tried to get a handle on a system that would cover most use cases with minimum action from me. If that system is flawed, I'm certainly willing to try to discuss where it could be improved.
Sibanamush wrote:I think for people to tell you about things that they're going to do that you want to know about beforehand, that they need a very clear list of things that you want to know about beforehand. Right now from my understanding things to talk to you about first are
- Building in a new area / claiming land
- Building something so large it extends outside of 150 x 150 block area of the land you've been approved on
- Changing or adding something to spawn ( the limit of the area of where 'spawn' is is a little hazy )
- Building rails that extend outside of your claimed area or connect to the rail system
- Activating a Nether portal

Anything outside of that I personally wouldn't approach you about because I don't want to give you something more to have to deal with that I don't see as being something worth bothering you about. Its the 'worth bothering you about' part that needs to be defined.
Let's define Spawn City right now. The northern and southern boundaries are clearly the oceans. With the exception of the Snow Farm (placed where it is due to biome issues), I've always considered the eastern boundary to be somewhere between the cacti around the OCB and the western shore of Kool's bay (roughly 20-block variance in X, so not terribly significant). The western edge has always been the haziest. For current practical purposes, the river is the western edge. However, depending on what's needed in the future, I could potentially see terraforming out so the Desert Rail Station is the western edge.
For the other things, yes, you've pretty much gotten it nailed.
Sibanamush wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:I get upset when I'm surprised by things and don't understand.
I think there are two parts to this, Surprise and understanding.

...

As for understanding, frankly I don't understand this. You've numerous times said you want to foster creativity, but you're upset if you don't understand why something is there before you encounter it? It seems like its an issue for you if you don't know about everything before-hand. Why is it a bad thing for you to discover something you didn't have an understanding of , and be able to be shown and informed? There are three things I enjoy most about minecraft, those are

1) getting to give tours of my things to people - I really enjoy having people discover what I've made and getting to show them around , and explain what things are and how they work. Its a lot of fun to have someone appreciate your work and get enjoyment from the discovery and exploration of it.

2) Helping people build things or understand things - I love being able to help someone work on a project. Showing someone a redstone circuit that will help, pitching in and assisting in the build by placing blocks or clearing an area, or even just being able to donate some materials to the cause are all really rewarding.

3) Discovering peoples creations. I LOVE being able to go into someones base and explore their corner of the world, see how they've done things , getting to discover how their system works so I can use it to improve my own , and just getting to enjoy discovering something awesome that someone has made are great!

These are the reasons that I'm playing on a multiplayer server and not cloistered away in single player; Sharing, creation and discovery. So I'm coming from a position where I genuinely don't understand why its a problem for you to discover something after its completed and get enjoyment out of that, or whats so wrong with not understanding something before hand...
In my experience one of the greatest things about minecraft is being able to show and explain something I've made to someone, but if you're that someone I'm afraid that the interaction isn't going to be a fun discovery. I'm afraid that instead of getting to show this thing to you and explain how it works and be excited about sharing , that you're going to get mad that I built it without telling you about it first, and be mad that you don't understand it. The enjoyment in showing something you're proud of to someone instead turns into trying to defend what you've done, and that's not fun at all.
Well, we need to define and separate pleasant and unpleasant surprise. I have had plenty of pleasant surprises on the server, but also many unpleasant ones. One of the key points in distinguishing them usually comes down to whether I know something was going to be there in the first place. In my effort to keep everything straight, I've ended up compartmentalizing everything into "thing space" and "empty space"
If I know something will be in an area, I can set that into "thing space"
However, if I find something built in what I considered "empty space" then that gets my brain out of order, and I get flustered and upset. If I've set aside an area in "thing space" it still doesn't mean I know what is going in there. I can make the pleasant discovery of a town, a castle, a roller coaster, a giant mining pit, or whatever. But conversely, if I don't know that something's in a certain place, a giant project in an area I thought I could parcel out to someone can get me out-of-sorts.

To put it simply, a "where" surprise is likely unpleasant, while a "what" surprise is usually pleasant.

Regarding understanding, I'm really referring to understanding why someone might need more than the standard amount of space, or anything else that goes against the "norms" that I've structured the rules around.
For example, I didn't understand why there was a train system that was always running over at Orthanc. Therefore, I asked to understand this, because I was worried about lag. I needed to know why it existed in the first place. I needed to know why it was always running. I needed to know why the thing was structured this way and couldn't be structured differently. I needed to know all of these things because I needed to know why I should allow something that could potentially cause lag for all the players on the server. An always-running train system could easily do that. If I didn't get a good response, my decision would be to rip it out or somehow restructure it so it's not always running, for the benefit of all the players on the server. However, through my questions, I did get a good answer to all of them. Thus, I was able to wrap my mind around this thing and shut it out at any point that I might be fighting lag problems in the future.
Sibanamush wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:I get surprised by things when people don't talk to me before-hand.
Again, I think we need a way of knowing what we need to talk to you about first, and we need a way of being able to show you something after the fact without being worried about you getting mad about it.

I've built some really cool things that I really enjoy giving people tours of, but I'm afraid of mentioning them to you (even in the context of mentioning them in this post right now) for fear that you're going to get mad at me about them for some reason that I don't understand , and potentially completely erase my days and weeks of time and effort and enjoyment because something I did offends you in some way I don't understand. I genuinely don't believe that I've broken any rules or that my creations have caused any problems, things have gone along smoothly without showing them to you, and I feel that by not bringing them to your attention you would never have any issue with them. I also feel that If I do say something ( like I feel I am right now) that I'm risking having to defend myself and having to fight to try to not have my works destroyed.
Now, if you'd come to me before you spent days or weeks of effort and enjoyment that you believe could be potentially in danger, then there would never be any risk of danger in the first place.
I would like to see these things that you would think might be in danger of me flipping out and why you'd think I'd flip out regarding them.
Also, if I do make some sort of action or judgment, it is almost always in the context of keeping the peace and keeping a stable server. I can only think of two rules that are based on my wants, rather than needs. Those would be avoiding The End until the scheduled raid and letting me do the rails. I can justify the End Raid as me wanting to give the people of the server a good experience, and also the fact that I've never (legitimately) been there. It would be the first time I'd experienced it, and possibly others, so I wanted to keep it special. The rail thing, I can't justify other than it's what I want and enjoy. I simply don't want people stealing my joy away from me.
All the other rules are either to keep peace among players, or trying to keep the server stable, or, as mentioned, not coming to me about every little thing.
The fact that Lurkon's Nether Fortress issue is the first time I can recall a player fighting with anyone other than me shows me that I'm doing something right, at least.
Sibanamush wrote:I think that the problem is that the only context people are used to seeing you in these days is dealing with issues and getting frustrated at problems. And they don't want to risk something that they have time and love invested in becoming one of those issues or problems.
Well, as mentioned, if they come to me first, that's the most sure way of preventing that from happening. It may seem like that goes contrary to the "don't need to bug me with every little thing" policy, and it kind of does. However, it's the only way I know of that can be sure.
Sibanamush wrote:I think the only things people see you doing on the server are fixing problems, getting mad about new issues you've discovered, or building in creative mode in spawn city. That ends up creating distinct line between you and the rest of the players. I feel like the mods that are in place are players that are approachable, they have their own bases and projects that they work on and I can go visit, they chat and hang out and play minecraft with the rest of us. but it has seemed like for you Memo, that you aren't one of us that also is the admin, you're just "THE ADMIN". the 'admin base' is an area that if you go there you get jailed and yelled at for ignoring the signs to stay away, When you're online you're dealing with problems, you don't want anyone's help to work on projects you need to do it all your own way. And that's fine, but it also makes you seem much less approachable.
Regarding the admin base, I simply don't want anyone to break it through either maliciousness or ignorance. It houses the stuff that runs the server. If you had, say, a button that launched the nukes, you wouldn't just leave it out in the open, would you? Most people wouldn't want to launch the nukes, but if it was in the open, and someone accidentally bumped into it while trying to get coffee or something, a "Sorry" isn't really going to cover it.
I've been asked why I don't just bedrock it in, then, and that has a very simple answer, in 2 parts.
1. It's historical, just like the Old Community Building. I don't want to modify it. Would you "fix up" the Colosseum in Rome to "improve" it?
2. What good is an underwater base without windows?

Thankfully, as I've mentioned numerous times, the "Barrier" block coming in 1.8 will solve both of those problems, so the auto-jailer won't be necessary.

Regarding being "The Admin" or "The Player," I do have a player base that I've sorely neglected for about a year now. I want to go back to being a player, but admin duties have just eaten up my time, not to mention stress from dealing with my parents living with me since the fire, and increasing stress to do more and more at work. It's currently hard to recall the last time I was green-named Memo. I'm pretty sure it was summer, at the very latest.
Sibanamush wrote:I was genuinely excited and happy that you asked for my opinion on something in spawn, it showed me that I'm not a non person to you and that you can want to ask for my input, and that you want to hear my opinion.
To be honest, I hate to burst your bubble, but I only picked you because you were a regular player who was available and was close by at the time. If it had been Fox or mui or Kino or whoever instead, I would've chosen them. It was nothing specific about you. I hope that doesn't disappoint you. However, that said, getting input from regular players is something I usually want to do.
Sibanamush wrote:In short I've had a lot of fun, and like interacting, with "Memo, the minecraft player" (who happens to also be the admin ) and I've been seeing more of that lately , and not "Memo, the stressed out, pissed off admin" that you want to avoid accidentally setting off.
The first is who I want to be, while the second is who I end up being when things end up going wrong, one way or another. Believe me, I don't want to be this tyrant guy.
Sibanamush wrote:As a sidebar, I know that when I post on the forum here , it tends to be a giant long breakdown and analysis of something as a response to whatever. I hope that these rants are actually helpful opinions and that I'm not just annoying everyone by posting a giant wall of text that they don't want to wade through.
Thanks for this. I want to say that these long breakdown posts are insightful and useful to me, at least.
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 17 Apr 2014, 14:46, edited 2 times in total.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Lord Hosk
Posts: 6587
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 08:30
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Apr 2014, 09:45

AdmiralMemo wrote:To me, as admin, everything can be a big deal, especially when the rules are broken.


I get that, but you tend not to explain things. You have to understand that things that an individual might not consider can cause a huge problem but they can do it without intending that result. Also what you see in your mind as a huge problem we see as a either not a problem at all or a simple fix.

We dont get "oh this is a problem someone put a redstone block here, that is going to auto trigger the redstone wiring system I ran down below here that Is the only way to make the entire rail system work" we get "AHHH THIS BLOCK IS IN THE WRONG PLACE IT RUINED EVERYTHING! SCREW EVERYONE! WHY WOULD YOU EVER PUT A BLOCK THERE IT MAKES NO SENSE! IM SHUTTING DOWN THE SERVER!"

Also I have seen you say "why do people keep doing this" or things to that effect. People keep doing it, because they arent aware that; it has been done before, that it cause a problem, that you had to fix it, that it upset you. Not everyone is on all the time, not everyone reads every post, it seems like very few people go to the website you made. To you there are repeat problems perpetrated by the whole server against you, to the individual its more often a minor mistake they made one time without knowing.

AdmiralMemo wrote:
Regarding the first thing, that issue is 90% solved now, but there are rules that need to be abided by. Ignoring the rules means ignoring me, and ignoring me is personal.



I think this is the heart of the issue, you saw that rail line as a violation of the rules. Unless there was more to it that I didnt see it looked like it followed the rules you set out.
1. It was contained in Dix area(inside 150X150)
2. it didnt connect to any other rail line,
3. it helped him move around his area without interacting with anything outside his area.
From what I saw it started at his door and ran to the edge of his zone near my zone.

AdmiralMemo wrote:
Also, I see no difference between Options 1 and 2 in your first scenario.

And you're missing Option 5, which is what I actually did: Calmly, methodically remove it without getting upset. I was dispassionate about the whole thing, since rule-breakers aren't really people in my book, so I'm not going to get upset. I'll just do what needs to be done, no matter what they think about me. They're not people; they don't count.



The difference between one and two is tone, to take it to the extreme the difference between the Police knocking on your door explaining that they have a warrant for your arrest and the seizure of your computer and asking if they can take your computer and you can come with them down to the station for questioning, and a joint FBI Sheriffs department task force with dozens of officers and a couple of helicopters circling over head, kicking in your door, throwing you to the floor hog tying you, cutting all the cables to your computer and hauling you and it down to the station. In the end both have you down at the police station being questioned and your computer being examined.

Also, from the chat, you seemed far from dispassionate and not getting upset. From what I was reading you were upset about it and kept talking about how you were going to tear it up and whats going on here and who would do that there.

Lastly on that I think this all comes down to a complete lack of any empathy. You always seem to start from a position that everyone is inside your head thinking like you think and that when they do things they do them for the reasons you would do them, which almost always seems to be as an attack or affront to you.

This last bit I went back and forth on commenting on or just letting it slide, in the end I think it reenforces my last statement about needing a little empathy and understanding. You can feel free to read it or not, its up to you.

Click to Expand
AdmiralMemo wrote:Regarding the second thing, that's not quite what I said... I said, "Oh... You're one of THOSE people... ;)"

The ;) indicates a joke, if you hadn't heard before. If it really bothered me, I would've fixed it then and there. It didn't bother me, so I left it.



You and I clearly have a different sense of humor and I didnt see any smiley face. You constantly complain that you dont understand my joke which nearly everyone else seems to find funny, yet you are going to lecture me about what is and isnt a joke? Frankly thats incredibly insulting.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
User avatar
red_mist
Posts: 20
Joined: 23 Apr 2013, 10:04
First Video: omni linugual

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby red_mist » 13 Apr 2014, 10:40

Sibanamush/Memo,
Here is a wip of my current Falcon Design I would like to build at your'e airship port.

Image

reference:
Image
Last edited by red_mist on 13 Apr 2014, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Image ...just watch it!
User avatar
Foxmar
Posts: 838
Joined: 26 Aug 2012, 11:19
First Video: The Break
Location: Some backwoods town in north Florida.
Contact:

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Foxmar » 13 Apr 2014, 10:47

Wow Red that looks amazing
Image
User avatar
ChroniclerC
Posts: 190
Joined: 25 Nov 2013, 21:34
First Video: Formal Complaint

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby ChroniclerC » 13 Apr 2014, 11:03

Not sure if this thought will really help, but what you're saying reminds me of when I was briefly a mod on a forum. I had been slowly drifting away from the forum, but kept up dealing with reports and issues out of a sense of duty. And because I wasn't regularly interacting with them, the other users didn't seem like people, just groups of letters on the other side of a screen, occasionally breaking rules. Some of the rules seemed extremely obvious to me, and some groups of letters just kept breaking rules. And the mod guidelines were clear on how I should react to them. So I made of a lot of snap judgements. Some were bad. A few were bad enough that the admins, my friends, needed to pull me aside and ask me "WTF, dude?"

And I managed to find a thought that got me through: My job as a mod wasn't to police the rulebreakers, but to help the people. If someone is breaking the rules, it's usually not because they mean ill, they just don't know any better, and they need to be helped. And yes, you will occasionally find someone who doesn't want to be helped, who delight in willfully breaking the rules. But most of your users are not that. Maybe we've made a mistake, or did something with unintended consequences. But you need to remember that ignorance is not malace - no matter how clear you thought you rules are, we can't ask questions to a sign or a web page. And if you just undo our error without explaining it, we're just as likely to make the same mistake again, not to mention that you might be breaking something that they're working on, having as much unintended consequences as they did. ;)

And yes, it's more work that way, but people should be worth the work. Besides, we're willing to work with you, so I promise it's not as much work as you think. :mrgreen:
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Image
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
User avatar
red_mist
Posts: 20
Joined: 23 Apr 2013, 10:04
First Video: omni linugual

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby red_mist » 13 Apr 2014, 11:07

thanks, forgot to post the picture I used for ref.. so I'll add it.
Image ...just watch it!
User avatar
Sibanamush
Posts: 33
Joined: 19 May 2013, 07:27
First Video: No Idea.
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Sibanamush » 13 Apr 2014, 11:21

red_mist wrote:Sibanamush/Memo,
Here is a wip of my current Falcon Design I would like to build at your'e airship port.

Click to Expand
Image


That looks awesome Red! I think it would be really cool to have it parked at my airship station. I'm just trying to brainstorm ideas for how to best locate it so that the tree doesn't seem full with just 2 ships, I'm thinking of adding a tiered level off of the side maybe? any thoughts?

Image

Image
BlackDragonMTG
Posts: 49
Joined: 09 Feb 2014, 13:47
First Video: Friday Nights - Returns
Location: South Floriduh

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby BlackDragonMTG » 13 Apr 2014, 12:18

I have to agree with a lot of points Sib made in their extensive post. Which by the way I happen to like reading to see if there's something I need to cover when I post.

Memo: I just have one thing to add sorry for being short with you last night on what my project was. I was in thought and try not to get distracted by others while I'm trying to think things through that I'm working on. Basically I was in the middle of a auto sorting cooker so I wouldn't have to do as much work or pay to much attention to the furnaces. It get's loaded from the top, pipes the products down sorting them in to 2 furnaces for each product then will spit them out in to a chest on the other side of the room for later use

Also it was nice to finally speak to you on team speak even if it was briefly. It might have been a non important matter but it was definitely weird having some normie join the server randomly like that.
User avatar
Dutch guy
Posts: 5200
Joined: 11 Feb 2008, 17:12
First Video: History of Halo
Location: Southern Dutch Colonies

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Dutch guy » 13 Apr 2014, 12:23

Holy cow people, how do you come up with designs like that!
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
User avatar
Lord Hosk
Posts: 6587
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 08:30
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Apr 2014, 16:21

Image
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
User avatar
KinoGami
Posts: 88
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 22:24
First Video: Desert Bus Killed the Internet Star
Location: Southern Interior BC, Canada

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby KinoGami » 13 Apr 2014, 17:12

What is that dashing figure in the distance?

Return to “Video Games”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest