LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
DewKnight
First Video: Stalking

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby DewKnight » 03 Oct 2014, 10:44

Memo, if it makes you feel any better our world had people exploring out to something like 15k in multiple directions before we ever put any limits on exploration. Yeah... That got crazy. We didn't even bother with making most of the new chunks look pretty, just those near places with more people.

How can these people just walk and walk and walk for so damn long!
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 03 Oct 2014, 10:54

DewKnight wrote:Memo, if it makes you feel any better our world had people exploring out to something like 15k in multiple directions before we ever put any limits on exploration. Yeah... That got crazy. We didn't even bother with making most of the new chunks look pretty, just those near places with more people.

They shortcut through the Nether because they don't want to be anywhere close to random strangers on a public server. As someone who had their home raided once, I can sympathize. (Although my solution was to instead move my home underground behind a secret door.)
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Oct 2014, 11:03

OK, was that on LRRcraft that it was raided? If so, that will not be tolerated.

But conversely, some of them are not shortcutting through the Nether. I know this due to the fact that there used to be a giant uninterrupted semi-straight line extending from the NE corner all the way to Z=10000
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 03 Oct 2014, 11:28

Huh? Oh, sorry. No, it was not on LRRcraft. Local server, where my home was a short walk away from spawn and the second highly-visible landmark from spawn. (Like, from spawn, there was a tower. You'd go to the tower and look around, and you could see my house up the river. Was constantly getting new people coming in and leaving all my doors open, and a few of them would take stuff.)
DewKnight
First Video: Stalking

Postby DewKnight » 03 Oct 2014, 13:16

ChroniclerC wrote:They shortcut through the Nether because they don't want to be anywhere close to random strangers on a public server. As someone who had their home raided once, I can sympathize. (Although my solution was to instead move my home underground behind a secret door.)

This was actually before the nether. Way back when. We had all these trails heading out into nowhere, and eventually much of it was explodered. I think the farthest guy that went out and actually built something impressive was like 25k from spawn.

Man. I'm still not sure if I prefer that old minecraft to the current stuff. Probably mostly because I never keep track of all the new stuff.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 03 Oct 2014, 18:04

DewKnight wrote:Memo, if it makes you feel any better our world had people exploring out to something like 15k in multiple directions before we ever put any limits on exploration. Yeah... That got crazy. We didn't even bother with making most of the new chunks look pretty, just those near places with more people.

Different people have different goals in playing games - Bartle Test, and whatnot.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 04 Oct 2014, 08:55

The fact that the server maintainer has to cater to all of those competing demands is what causes some of the issue.

SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 07 Oct 2014, 13:51

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Oct 2014, 16:51

Interesting. Well, if it's out by the time I have everything fixed, I'll just update directly to that.

I've gotten everything pretty much nailed down now. I just need to get work straightened out and then I can work on this.

TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 09 Oct 2014, 01:00

Hopefully the odd bug that's plaguing me gets fixed. It's seriously frustrating to have your frame rate go from ~90 fps down to ~9 fps for a minute or two for no apparent reason... even when you're the only person on the server (ran into the bug on my friend's server, who went straight vanilla for 1.8).

Otherwise, my game time on the server will be limited to what I'll tolerate.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
empath

Postby empath » 09 Oct 2014, 03:01

heck, I get that on single-player :(
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Oct 2014, 05:57

Yeah I too have gotten that, I suspect it is from rendering something underground that you dont see but the game takes into account. The game treats every block as though it is a block, air, sand stone water... then figures out how that block interacts with other blocks. I have found that underground caverns can cause a lot of trouble as the water/lava falls only flow when a chunk is loaded, its no big deal when they are fully formed because they are just blocks of water or lava, but when it goes from nothing to rendering a entire flow it has to calculate "is there a block next to this, how far is this flowing from the source, is the block next to this flamable..." so as it renders each block in a flow it takes time, but all you see is a small rise in the plains with flowers and a chicken flapping around.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 09 Oct 2014, 07:01

Lord Hosk wrote:Yeah I too have gotten that, I suspect it is from rendering something underground that you dont see but the game takes into account. The game treats every block as though it is a block, air, sand stone water... then figures out how that block interacts with other blocks. I have found that underground caverns can cause a lot of trouble as the water/lava falls only flow when a chunk is loaded, its no big deal when they are fully formed because they are just blocks of water or lava, but when it goes from nothing to rendering a entire flow it has to calculate "is there a block next to this, how far is this flowing from the source, is the block next to this flamable..." so as it renders each block in a flow it takes time, but all you see is a small rise in the plains with flowers and a chicken flapping around.

Clearly the culprit is the chicken.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Oct 2014, 07:10

Don't remind me of chickens... They are the bane of my existence when the log fills up with chickens in the wrong spot, each one taking half a page of text for some unknown reason.

SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 09 Oct 2014, 09:24

TStodden wrote:Hopefully the odd bug that's plaguing me gets fixed. It's seriously frustrating to have your frame rate go from ~90 fps down to ~9 fps for a minute or two for no apparent reason... even when you're the only person on the server (ran into the bug on my friend's server, who went straight vanilla for 1.8).

Not sure if this helps, but when 1.8 first came out, some people were complaining about FPS issues on the minecraft subreddit, and the common solutions were to enable VBOs in the options, and/or upgrade to 64-bit java 8.
TStodden
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 11 Oct 2014, 01:08

SAJewers wrote:
TStodden wrote:Hopefully the odd bug that's plaguing me gets fixed. It's seriously frustrating to have your frame rate go from ~90 fps down to ~9 fps for a minute or two for no apparent reason... even when you're the only person on the server (ran into the bug on my friend's server, who went straight vanilla for 1.8).

Not sure if this helps, but when 1.8 first came out, some people were complaining about FPS issues on the minecraft subreddit, and the common solutions were to enable VBOs in the options, and/or upgrade to 64-bit java 8.

Upgraded to Java 1.8u20x64 already... may retry the VBOs, but the problem still persists & I've already lowered some settings as well (which bumped me from ~50-60 FPS to ~90-120 FPS when working properly).

As there been mention of lava, water & caves... I could be hitting the trifecta of issues on my friend's server since the place I've claimed has running lava & water (in viewing distance) AND a natural cave... Not to mention snow beyond what I can immediately see since it is a mountainous area.

Additional research may be required to help locate the potential issue... if I can stomach it.

Supplemental (10/13/2014): It seems that when the framerate issue happens, pC (pending chunks), pU (pending Video uploads) & aB (buffer available) values start spiking & remain high when the issue happens. Once these values drop off (unless moving), things seem to revert back to normal.
~TStodden
TStodden

Postby TStodden » 14 Oct 2014, 18:09

Upon tweaking settings, I have found WORKING SOLUTION for the frame-rate drops. It has something to do with the clouds rendering system.

Upon turning the clouds off, I was able to play issue-free for over an hour on my friend's server. While I still incurred momentary hits to the frame-rate, it was only going from ~120 fps down to ~60 fps, which is barely noticeable from viewing.

Hope this helps others!
~TStodden
empath

Postby empath » 15 Oct 2014, 07:23

Oh, okay then. Weakens the impact of my 'Sky City' I'm building, but that's still better than only being able to go for about a half-hour before things almost stall :)
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Oct 2014, 07:26

Well... Since it's client-side, then everyone can choose to turn it on or off at their discretion, whether they want nice views or good performance.

SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 15 Oct 2014, 07:26

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Oct 2014, 13:20

Since I got my work issues finally in order, if Cam is still XCOMing tonight, I'll make a concerted effort to work on LRRcraft.

Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 22 Oct 2014, 23:19

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 23 Oct 2014, 05:19

http://redd.it/2k3bf2

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/5 ... 7914815488

1.8.1 Prerelease 3 is out, and it sounds like 1.8.1 might be out soon.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Oct 2014, 07:00

Well that was the plan, at least... Turns out, one of the key points of making that plan a reality was staying awake.

SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 23 Oct 2014, 12:27

It's funny how sleep can sneak up on a person sometimes. Don't worry about it :)

Return to “Video Games”