LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby SAJewers » 17 Apr 2015, 05:55

Is there a reason there can't be both?

The nether kinda needs to redone anyway, so it would probably be best to build it in the OW first, then look into nether stuff once that rebuild starts.
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 17 Apr 2015, 06:52

undecided44 wrote:(snip)
So with building plans ongoing for an eastern spur, how about a discussion of the southern spur?

Two proposed footprints (dashed yellow above) with callouts for the southern end of spawn subway just east of the Herbert Hole and the northern end of my bridge building project. I'm hoping to get feedback from everyone who has settled south of spawn on the areas in which they've planned to build, and their interest for a trunk rail-line to connect spawn with the south. Eventually I'm hoping to create a new community center under the mountain range in the neck of land about x=-400, z=2780, or the island beyond (x=-480, z=3200).

I've marked the building I know of on the picture, but I am uncertain as to their underground impacts, and I'm hoping to avoid barging through people's tunnels. Feedback and commentary are encouraged on the overland/underground options for this line, and proposals for alternate pathways north.

None of my plans conflict with the proposed route, I'd suggest, however extending the line west to the Recluse village/shrine/foundry and then straight south, with stops there, at Mystax's and my places. In other words, the east/west part of the line you drew either north or south of my place would be right at the start.

Alas, I'm quite busy these days, so I won't be able to help with construction.

PS: Thanks for giving me an excuse to use the word "alas" :)
undecided44

Postby undecided44 » 17 Apr 2015, 08:36

MagisterMystax wrote:You've got my area a bit bigger and farther to the east than what I'm actually planning to use. I currently have no plans to expand beyond the circle of guild symbols around my land, and the road leading east from my place isn't something I've claimed or anything either. (It just connects my land with the other roads) As for my underground reach, I've probably mined beyond my own land, but it's more likely to have happened to the north and west, not the south and east. If any of my mines do happen to be in the railway's way, I have absolutely no problem with them being broken for it.

By the way, have we considered building the railway in the Nether instead? The south is already far easier to reach through the Nether, and I don't know if it's worth all that effort to build overworld rails that far out.

Thanks for clarifying MagisterMystax. I just tried to provide a buffer around what could see overland and some folks are particular about their paths.

RE: Nether-rail I had thought of this, and I know it had come up from some other users as well. There seemed to be no consensus at that time, and more comments have been registered that the current arrangement of flying bridges and blaze filled halls needed to be redesigned. Frankly I'm partial to the scenic elements of the overland rail option, and the infinite %-age reduction in crying-flying-fireballing gerbers while working was a not-insignificant portion of my thinking.

romangoro wrote:None of my plans conflict with the proposed route, I'd suggest, however extending the line west to the Recluse village/shrine/foundry and then straight south, with stops there, at Mystax's and my places. In other words, the east/west part of the line you drew either north or south of my place would be right at the start.

A good suggestion on alternate pathing, romangoro: I know there is a spur leaving the south station that runs directly into the Herbert Hole, but not sure what else Herbert Erpaderp has going on underground, or if he has an interest in this rail project. I'm certainly open to the idea of making this an above ground line, but it's a little more difficult to source building materials as the products of cutting a hole won't be available to recycle into the deck. Much more scenic, a little slower going in build. I'm happy to continue puttering along when I have time, as long as no one sets deadlines, this project can't be completed late. Until I hear more from folks up north, I'll plan to keep my course across the corner of the snow-field and onto the forest island (...of Endor; c'mon you were all thinking it too). That will take me long enough...

In related news, the southern extension has hit two walls: both bridge ends have made landfall at their target cliffs (and I'm working on completing the four rails across the length of the span, you can currently cover ~75% of the ride from north to south by minecart). Now the question that I've been begging: if I build it... will they come?

[And if they do, any contributions of cobble, cobble wall, jack-o-lanterns, torches, redstone torches, diorite, rail, or powered rail won't be turned away from my mats chests at either end of the rail-bed.]

Anyone else with comments/questions/suggestions/objections, please speak-up.
building on Uno's Minecraft server as ff4ede (pronounced as an exaggerated version of forty).
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 17 Apr 2015, 09:49

Herbert's branch is very custom, it goes straight to his house, I don't think it could be the seed of the line's extension.

If you keep going straight north in your current path you'll end up passing either under or through the caves on the back of my place, depending on your current Y (mine is 72 at the lowest), so if you just want to keep straight north it could be cool. That's a bit east from Mystax's but it would hit close to the Recluse village.

I have maybe a stack and a half of pumpkins, you should ask Herbert for cobblestone, he has all he removed from that hole.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 17 Apr 2015, 11:11

Also, if you can make sure that some part of the line is 1 km straight through, you'll get a lot of visitors for that reason alone.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Apr 2015, 13:45

The tunnel doesn't need to be completely straight for the cheevo, and if you want to curve it at bits, that's fine. It just needs to go for 1000 units away from where you started without stopping, even if part of it curves or doubles back. (Like, if it goes for 500, turns right for 20, then turns back left and goes 500 more, it'll still trigger, as long as you didn't stop.)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 17 Apr 2015, 16:11

A couple people have expressed a desire to build an iron farm. This (or an NPC shop that sells it in unlimited supply) is an endeavor I would like to express my support for. I would build one myself, but I really don't know my way around them (and would prefer the NPC route so that I can feel a little less cheap about it). Is anyone up for implementing this?
Eryndil
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Eryndil » 17 Apr 2015, 16:39

undecided44 wrote:
SAJewers wrote:This might have gotten buried, but this is what I'm thinking:

Have a bridge (and maybe a rail line) across the ocean there so one doesn't have to go all the way west and cross at the mesa/ Fort Richard Butt.

So with building plans ongoing for an eastern spur, how about a discussion of the southern spur?

Two proposed footprints (dashed yellow above) with callouts for the southern end of spawn subway just east of the Herbert Hole and the northern end of my bridge building project. I'm hoping to get feedback from everyone who has settled south of spawn on the areas in which they've planned to build, and their interest for a trunk rail-line to connect spawn with the south. Eventually I'm hoping to create a new community center under the mountain range in the neck of land about x=-400, z=2780, or the island beyond (x=-480, z=3200).

I've marked the building I know of on the picture, but I am uncertain as to their underground impacts, and I'm hoping to avoid barging through people's tunnels. Feedback and commentary are encouraged on the overland/underground options for this line, and proposals for alternate pathways north.

Continuing the Southern line would be good. I'm over around 220x, 1250z. That ??? area you have there on the eastern side of the map should be Clench's stuff. He and I put up that L shaped bridge between my stuff and his stuff. It's continuing a subway system that I built that runs out to Shallowslake.
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 17 Apr 2015, 17:20

RE: the On a Rail Achievent, you can already get that by Going from Mount LRRMore to spawn, just make sure you don't get out of the minecart.
Fungidoctor
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Fungidoctor » 17 Apr 2015, 22:29

On a Rail cheevo is also obtainable in my mine. Built just for that reason, it sends you out and brings you back automatically. Entrance is at 782 324 East of spawn through the tunnel. Just walk down the mine and follow the signs. Easy walk.
zeth_russ
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby zeth_russ » 18 Apr 2015, 00:32

Atifexe wrote:A couple people have expressed a desire to build an iron farm. This (or an NPC shop that sells it in unlimited supply) is an endeavor I would like to express my support for. I would build one myself, but I really don't know my way around them (and would prefer the NPC route so that I can feel a little less cheap about it). Is anyone up for implementing this?

I want to build an iron farm and I've already done quite a bit of planning on it (see viewtopic.php?p=757648#p757648 ) but that project is currently on hold as there's concern that it could negatively affect the server performance on the whole.
I'll try and convince lambmower once more when I see them next online :)
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 18 Apr 2015, 02:50

Depends on what people mean by "Iron farm". One the size of a large-but-reasonable village (20-30 members) will still give a decent output without adding crazy lag, in my experience. Plus the added benefit of being a functional village to trade at.
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 18 Apr 2015, 05:35

If you seriously need iron, I have tons of it, and I'm sure others have lots of iron they can give away to people who need it.
MagisterMystax
First Video: The Innistrad hat draft on MTGO academy

Postby MagisterMystax » 18 Apr 2015, 13:15

romangoro wrote:If you keep going straight north in your current path you'll end up passing either under or through the caves on the back of my place, depending on your current Y (mine is 72 at the lowest), so if you just want to keep straight north it could be cool. That's a bit east from Mystax's but it would hit close to the Recluse village.

I have no problem at all with the rails not being on my doorstep; in fact I think I'd prefer it if they were a little bit away, so I support this plan.
I stream video games every friday at 19:00 GMT, at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 18 Apr 2015, 14:49

If you want to run the rail through Recluse, that's fine. Just let me know the Y and X or Z coordinate (depending on the direction it's coming from) and I'll build a station for you.
dropkickstart
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby dropkickstart » 18 Apr 2015, 20:21

How often are land claims reviewed and how big is considered too big? I put in a claim in the last week for -1300x, 1400z to -650x, 1800z at the surveyors office, and it looks like there's an overlapping claim that came in afterward. Did I make my claim to big? Should I have posted here and waited for mod approval first? I was under the impression that the surveyor book entry was all that was needed. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 19 Apr 2015, 00:55

I'm please to report that the Lava Bears Stoneworks in Little Arcadium is now established (circa -1900, 100) for all your cobblestone needs... Feel free to use it, just remember to turn it off BEFORE you start harvesting the cobblestone (to avoid any accidents or deaths).

With that in place, road construction in the area will be starting soon. I'll be looking at connecting to the existing infrastructure at -928, 167 & head westward to -2060, 167 with connections to JamesTown's northern gate (at -2060, 320) & Little Arcadium (connection point estimated at -1925, 120)

I'll likely be starting at JamesTown, working north to the main line & then head east to the existing infrastructure, building all required structures (like bridges, tunnels will be kept to a minimum) along the way.

As this will be classified as a "Public Works" project, anybody is will to assist or modify the road as needed to suit their needs. Due to the massive amount of cobblestone (& other stone materials) required, this will be a slow-moving project... so if there's any objections, recommendations or required alterations, please states it now before we get to (& past) your area.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
squaredotcube
First Video: Ways to Whiten your Teeth

Postby squaredotcube » 19 Apr 2015, 10:26

Welp, I think it's time to come to the conclusion that Spawntown's design is too much a mess. Big, mostly nondescript buildings and winding roads only confuse people's sense of direction, meaning that when they finally find the place they're trying to get to, they're not sure where they are and get lost again.

...And I think most of the problem is caused by Old Spawntown's layout. Take a look at this map:

The dashed zone is the area covered by Old Spawntown and the spawn point, as that is the focus. Notice how most of Old Spawntown's buildings are larger than the rest and obfuscate much more useful ones, or cut off direct paths to roads. This is part of Spawntown's problem. My suggestion is that buildings marked with a red X should go, or to be rebuilt elsewhere.

Now for the green circle. That circle is my proposal of where to move Spawn. It's on an intersection that's right in the middle of Spawntown, and has relatively straight roads that directly lead to much more useful buildings. The fountain and structures will be removed to widen the area. but that will not be the only change; whereas the original spawn has a visibility problem, the new spawn will be raised up 8 to 12 blocks with no immediate columns or buildings to obfuscate the view.

Buildings marked with a yellow diamond require a redesign to further solve Spawntown's problems. The Transportarium is still hard to locate for some people, and its interior is mostly unused. The Hall of Chests, while useful, would be better off to use space more wisely by becoming the Tower of Chests. The other change would be to make chests in the Tower of Chests be item-sorted instead of numbered.

Finally, the blue lines are roads, which we will reshape after the demolition of these buildings. The Post Office and Library will be best off moved to the location of the old spawn.

How does everyone feel about this plan? Do you think it will solve Spawntown's problems? Got any other suggestions?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Apr 2015, 13:02

I think this is a good start on redesign. We had this issue on LRRcraft, too. While not a completely straight grid, all major buildings were built in roughly the same plot area, with some larger ones taking up more than one plot, removing the cross-street.

Another issue that makes navigation of LRRMC Spawn difficult is that some of the buildings are massively tall, with few holes to see around/through them. Thus, you're not sure what's around the corner until you reach it.
For example, if you're standing in the train station on LRRcraft, you can see 9 of the 13 buildings, due to the wide streets and open building design. This is not the case on LRRMC, where you can see 5 or 6 buildings from most given spots, out of around 30.

The Spawn Platform on LRRcraft is only about 5 blocks taller than the surrounding area, which was enough to get a good view of the whole layout. However, the buildings only have a maximum of 2 floors above ground. With multiple-floor buildings on LRRMC, 12 blocks may be necessary.

Since it's 1.8 + WorldEdit, I recommend just finding an open area away from most things, cloning Spawn City there, demolishing and redesigning the actual Spawn City, then moving the buildings back from the cloned area, making modifications as needed.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

eostby

Postby eostby » 19 Apr 2015, 14:02

TStodden wrote:I'm please to report that the Lava Bears Stoneworks in Little Arcadium is now established (circa -1900, 100) for all your cobblestone needs... Feel free to use it, just remember to turn it off BEFORE you start harvesting the cobblestone (to avoid any accidents or deaths).

With that in place, road construction in the area will be starting soon. I'll be looking at connecting to the existing infrastructure at -928, 167 & head westward to -2060, 167 with connections to JamesTown's northern gate (at -2060, 320) & Little Arcadium (connection point estimated at -1925, 120)

I'll likely be starting at JamesTown, working north to the main line & then head east to the existing infrastructure, building all required structures (like bridges, tunnels will be kept to a minimum) along the way.

As this will be classified as a "Public Works" project, anybody is will to assist or modify the road as needed to suit their needs. Due to the massive amount of cobblestone (& other stone materials) required, this will be a slow-moving project... so if there's any objections, recommendations or required alterations, please states it now before we get to (& past) your area.

My only question about this proposed road plan is how it will affect my current house/farm/mine development, as I'm right around the area you're planning to connect to. I will be glad to help with the building/design of that portion of the new road, as I would like to encourage people to stop by my house/farm while traveling on that road.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 19 Apr 2015, 14:10

I actually have been meaning to go back and putting in signs for the Hall of Chests. But, procrastination. If redesigned to be vertical instead of horizontal, we should probably build down, instead of up, for the visibility reasons Memo cited. I agree the city should probably center on the Spawn Point, and we should probably move the city's beacon (or beacon array) to that center point rather than off to the side only covering one half. Also, while we're thinking total overhaul, it might be worth it to widen the streets by a block or two. Any of the building "selling" stuff should probably be moved to the same side of the city as the mall, for clarity of purpose.
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
Electricfox
First Video: Desert bus

Postby Electricfox » 19 Apr 2015, 14:25

Street widening and lots of signs would be good, got hopelessly lost trying to find the underground station. :lol:

Anyway, on a jaunt on the railway line from Spawn underground market to...errr... 468, 1774 I picked up a load of enchanted armour, a bow, a sword and a potion. No idea who it belonged to so I've put it in a chest at the end of the line at 468, 1774.
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 19 Apr 2015, 21:58

Eostby, are you located around -2250, 150 OR -1165, -40? I've notice there's a developments at those locations would be en route, but no marker on the DynMap to identify them.

In either case, connections could be made to accommodate... once the initial lines are in. However, we're talk about a couple of chest loads of cobblestone here... Just the bare bones for the east-west road will take AT LEAST 4200 blocks (1200 x 3 + 150 x 4) of cobblestone from the connection point to JamesTown... roughly 300 blocks (60 x 5) to get Little Arcadium connected (excluding bridge rails) to the proposed roads... adding 33% buffer for additional crafting blocks (for stair blocks & rails for bridges) & tool crafting (for harvesting) we're at 6,000 blocks.

Just on the harvesting w/ my cobblestone generator running full blast (~2.5 stacks / 10 minutes to gen, 5 minutes to harvest), that's ~10.5 hours of constant labor just on the harvest side. Digging & laying the road will likely take about 25 hours (at rough estimate... like more) to complete for one person. The time figures will decrease with more concurrent labor (with multiple generators running & multiple people digging / laying), but quality is subject to vary as well. The only other logistical issue is the storage / handling of the excavated blocks (most likely dirt).

The only other enhancement planned would be roadsigns & the occasional streetlamp (likely at intersections / corners as easy markers), but that can be done later.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
eostby

Postby eostby » 19 Apr 2015, 22:21

TStodden, I'm at the part of the infrastructure currently in place that you're planning to connect to (around -928, 167). It sounds like that's the last part of the connection you'll actually be making, and it shouldn't be hard to not build through my house, but I am there.

Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 20 Apr 2015, 00:06

If we're concerned about lag caused by an iron farm, would instituting an NPC shop not be the best approach?

Return to “Video Games”