(Note that these are guidelines and not requirements. You may apply all, part of none of these to your road building.)
General Rules for Roads:
- Roads that form part of a build do not have to conform with these guidelines.
- Roads should be 3 or 4 blocks wide.
- Roads may be widened in towns.
- Roads may be narrowed to an absolute minimum width of 2 blocks for horse and pedestrian routes or 1 block for pedestrian-only routes where it is not possible to widen the road.
- Roads should be made out of a gray stone material such as Cobblestone, Andesite, Polished Andesite, Stone, Stone Slabs, or Stone Bricks (inc. Mossy and Cracked).
- Roads should have a vertical clearance of 4 blocks for horse and pedestrian routes or 3 blocks for pedestrian-only routes.
- Roads may have clearance reduced to 3 blocks for horse and pedestrian routes or 2 blocks for pedestrian-only routes where it is not possible to increase the clearance.
- Roads should be lit where possible to prevent mobs spawning.
Roads on Level(ish) Ground:
- Roads should be inlaid such that the top surface is flush with the ground on either side.
- Slopes should not exceed 1 in 2 on horse and pedestrian routes or 1 in 1 on pedestrian-only routes.
- Steps of more than 1/2 a block should be avoided.
Embankments and Bridges:
- Embankments should not block rivers or be excessive in height.
- Embankment angles should not exceed 45 degrees without soil-retention structures (rock faces, walls, etc.).
- Bridges should be constructed of appropriate materials.
- Bridges should include abutments and piers to support the spans.
- Drops should be protected with parapets or fences.
- Where bridges cross water, they should have a minimum of 2 blocks clearance over the water to permit boat travel underneath.
Cuttings and Tunnels:
- Cuttings should not block rivers or be excessive in height.
- Cutting angles should not exceed 45 degrees without soil-retention structures (rock faces, walls, etc.).
- Tunnels can include portals and may also include props.
- Cuttings should be lit to prevent mobs spawning.
Dangers by the Roadside:
- Drops, Deep Water and Lava by the roadside should be protected with fences.
- Smaller dangers should be signposted.
Junctions, Houses, Borders, Etc.:
- Junctions should be signposted to indicate where they lead.
- Houses should be signposted with their owners.
- Borders into claimed land may be signposted to aid with navigation and prevention of unwanted building.
- The builder of the road should also be signposted so that users may report damage, etc.
- Named places may also be signposted (bridges, hills, rivers, etc.).
A fenced-off body of water, "tunnel" and a one-sided cutting:
A border sign:
Directional Sign and Builder Sign:
If I've made any mistakes, omitted anything, etc. then tell me so that I can fix.