LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby Sky_rider19 » 18 Jul 2014, 09:13

-raises hand- Um, what's a feed the beast server?
DewKnight
First Video: Stalking

Postby DewKnight » 18 Jul 2014, 10:13

Same, never heard of it. I shall Google it later.

I can't guarantee my donation, but I would like to pledge $5 per month. Better if we set up a PayPal or other subscription so it comes out without me having to remember. Coinbase and Bitcoin all the way.
Last edited by DewKnight on 18 Jul 2014, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jul 2014, 10:42

Feed The Beast is a set of Minecraft Mods that James has been playing with recently, and chatters on LRL seemed interested, so I went to see if it was feasible on a technical level: http://ftbwiki.org/Feed_The_Beast_Lite_2
Once I found out it was, I'm interested in whether it's feasible on a community/monetary level.

It's vanilla Minecraft, but with added ores, jetpacks, hang gliders, auto-machines, etc.

Note (in case anyone is confused): This will be a separate server from regular LRRcraft. This will not replace LRRcraft, but be in addition to it.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

DewKnight

Postby DewKnight » 18 Jul 2014, 11:07

Gotcha. I probably would not play on a second server, barely have time for the first. Still want to work in a monthly donation to my budget.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jul 2014, 11:11

Well, that's why I'm asking for input now, to see if the second server is even worth it. :)

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Jul 2014, 11:48

not for me
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 18 Jul 2014, 13:07

I'm with Dewknight. I've barely got time for the first.

(And to be honest Memo, are you sure your heart could TAKE running another server?)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jul 2014, 13:34

Well, I'm testing the waters, and I was wondering if I could just farm administration out to someone else after I set it up, if there was enough interest. If there isn't enough interest, then I'll just can it.

Also, I've mellowed since my previous blow-ups.

As long as you follow the two rules of 1. Talk to me about things and 2. Don't everyone talk to me at once, I'm fine.
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 18 Jul 2014, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 18 Jul 2014, 13:36

I, too, am fine with just our current server.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jul 2014, 13:40

OK. See, I had about 20 people on Thursday in LRL chat saying they'd be interested in it. So, I was thinking that could be enough to warrant it.

Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby Sky_rider19 » 18 Jul 2014, 14:13

could you set up maybe a smaller server for the people who were interested in it? Because that could be cool to monkey around with.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jul 2014, 14:24

Well, the thing is that the current server is only slightly more beefed up than the minimum virtual server I could get from my company, so creating a new server would be almost as expensive. I could scale it down to 1 core and 2 GB of RAM, maybe, but everything else would be the same cost.

The current server is the minimum cost + 1 extra core and 4 extra GB of RAM.

Therefore, the "smaller" server would be only slightly smaller, so it wouldn't be saving very much money to make it smaller.

Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 18 Jul 2014, 17:13

I don't think I could manage a second server/game either... I actually do have the time for it, but I'm trying to cut back a little - put some time into other games for a change.

As far as money... well... I'm not saying I would offer to pony up for the entire cost per month... but I'm not *not* saying it. Seriously though, how much are we talking here?

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jul 2014, 17:37

Current server costs are roughly $66.25 per month, at current usage, and I've got that covered by community donations until late April 2015. (Seriously, thank you everyone who donated! :))

If I were to slim down the new server to 1 core and 2 GB of RAM (which are probably the minimum specs for Feed The Beast Lite 2), it would cost about $42.00 a month for the new server. If I got donations from the 20 people who seemed interested on Thursday, that's just $2.10 a month from each person.

Regarding funding, I'm thinking about setting up a separate PayPal account just for the server sometime before next April.

Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 18 Jul 2014, 19:19

I don't think I'd have time for a second server either.

EDIT: But that did remind me I intended to set up a recurring donation, which I just did.
DewKnight

Postby DewKnight » 18 Jul 2014, 20:53

Consider coinbase. Usually less fees than paypal, plus they don't randomly close your account for some insane reason and lock all of your money away.

Of course then you still have to pay the host probably with paypal.
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 18 Jul 2014, 23:24

While we're ever so tangentially on the topic of donations...

http://imgur.com/a/4VS5j

Vola, you're a prince amongst men, and you have my deepest gratitude. Actually, the wall was basically done beforehand, so I only needed a few of your blocks, but it still saved me an expedition to the nether.

And let me know if the pig pen isn't quite your cup of tea. I also have cow and sheep farms, some terrible gardens, and a sugar cane pit if you'd prefer any of those named in your honour.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 18 Jul 2014, 23:41

Alternatively, could we consider just completely shifting LRRcraft over to this mod? Like, temporarily at first, see what people think of it, and then see what people want to do? I'm quite content with Vanilla, but most of what I've been hearing is along the lines of "I just have enough time for one server". If the majority is people who would rather that be a server with the mod (or simply don't oppose the idea), then paying for two servers seems superfluous.

Similarly, this will let us know how many of these people posting interest in the LRL chat - but not here - would stick around for any length of time. Would be moot if we start the new server and no one's playing it after a month.

(And while I'm thinking of it, if we do start a new server or restart with the mod, it would probably be a good opportunity to start a fresh forum thread. Kind of awkward that a good half of this thread and the all-important first post simply don't apply to the current server.)

(Also also, it may still be worthwhile to postpone any fresh world gen to 1.8 so that new stuff gets generated.)
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 19 Jul 2014, 04:30

I'm with ChroniclerC - I haven't had time for ONE server, but I'm vaguely curious about the FtB stuff, and I agree that it might be better to have a 'trial' of it on the main server.

Also, from what I saw of James trying it out; it would simply be extra things you can do - if you just want vanilla (which might still be me...someday when I get the time ;) ), you could just not do those things/make those machines/harvest those new resources/etc.
MagisterMystax
First Video: The Innistrad hat draft on MTGO academy

Postby MagisterMystax » 19 Jul 2014, 05:06

I would prefer to keep the server vanilla.
I stream video games every friday at 19:00 GMT, at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax
FourEyedTroll
First Video: Echo

Postby FourEyedTroll » 19 Jul 2014, 06:05

FYI folks, should get back on-line next week when the internet at my new house FINALLY gets activated.
The Old Ludensian

This Interweb is pretty nifty, eh?

Aka: Osprey or OspreyGBR, mostly in the world of PC Gaming.
MtG: Mono-Black Infect. Hand of the Praetors FTW!

LRRCraft Server Link: lrrmc.dahou.se
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Jul 2014, 11:38

Did you guys see that completely naturally grown junglewood tree in the tree farm? ITS HUGE, I cant believe that it grew like that completely naturally without any outside intervention.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Jul 2014, 12:08

So, the tally so far:

No: 6
Switch the current server: 2
Yes: 0

Where are all the people who said they'd be interested in a new Feed the Beast server?
ChroniclerC wrote:Alternatively, could we consider just completely shifting LRRcraft over to this mod? Like, temporarily at first, see what people think of it, and then see what people want to do? I'm quite content with Vanilla, but most of what I've been hearing is along the lines of "I just have enough time for one server". If the majority is people who would rather that be a server with the mod (or simply don't oppose the idea), then paying for two servers seems superfluous.

Similarly, this will let us know how many of these people posting interest in the LRL chat - but not here - would stick around for any length of time. Would be moot if we start the new server and no one's playing it after a month.

(And while I'm thinking of it, if we do start a new server or restart with the mod, it would probably be a good opportunity to start a fresh forum thread. Kind of awkward that a good half of this thread and the all-important first post simply don't apply to the current server.)

(Also also, it may still be worthwhile to postpone any fresh world gen to 1.8 so that new stuff gets generated.)
OK, 2 problems with this...

1. Feed The Beast is stuck on 1.6.4. Therefore, I cannot transition the map over to the modded version, since we're well past that, and there are plenty of things that straight-up don't exist, like the new wood, the new fish, the new flowers, and stained glass.

Thus, if I were to put normal LRRcraft on this, everything that currently exists will be wiped out (though I can certainly archive it somewhere). Is that what anyone wants?

2. I tried Bukkit before on the main server. The key problem is that, while 90% of the stuff works, the 10% that doesn't work is the stuff I used all the time. All the commands are messed up, the auth system doesn't work, the market doesn't work, etc.
On a completely new server, this stuff wouldn't matter, and we could start from scratch, working on new systems that work in the new thing. But on the existing server, it would take a ton of work to update to Bukkit.
DewKnight wrote:Consider coinbase. Usually less fees than paypal, plus they don't randomly close your account for some insane reason and lock all of your money away.

Of course then you still have to pay the host probably with paypal.
I pay with either PayPal or my credit card. The company has determined to not accept BitCoins until the price stabilizes. So, unless you personally can stabilize the price of BitCoins, it ain't happening soon.
empath wrote:I'm with ChroniclerC - I haven't had time for ONE server, but I'm vaguely curious about the FtB stuff, and I agree that it might be better to have a 'trial' of it on the main server.

Also, from what I saw of James trying it out; it would simply be extra things you can do - if you just want vanilla (which might still be me...someday when I get the time ;) ), you could just not do those things/make those machines/harvest those new resources/etc.
Yeah, that is totally a thing that can be done, but the considerations that the current server map cannot be ported over to Feed The Beast, and we'd all be starting from scratch, must be considered.

eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 19 Jul 2014, 12:41

I'm going to guess the people from the LRL chat either aren't on the forum here, or aren't subbed to this topic. Personally, I would much rather stick with what we have if the alternative is a complete wipe. I know my personal complex of house + mine is far less to rebuild than some of the fantastic things built on the server right now, but it's still something I put a bunch of work into, and I really don't want to have to redo it.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Jul 2014, 12:48

People in chat say a lot of things, that doesnt mean they are 1. active players, 2. willing to pay. 3. on the forum. 4. not just talking out their butts.

[–]Graham_LRR

Return to “Video Games”