LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
RoentgeniumFinger

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby RoentgeniumFinger » 10 Sep 2014, 11:49

quick idea for something in the future. Work on getting the server ready for 1.8-ification is the top priority, but something just occurred to me.

It might be useful if on the rail map on the main lrrcraft site, you could click on a station, and it'd show you a picture of the general area and a brief writeup of each stop. Something like a sentence or two about some of the smaller, incidental stops like the houses that have been long abandoned. A paragraph for some of the things like Templemir and Hosk's ice wall. Then something a bit longer for Spawn City. Listing the buildings and functions and whatnot.

Now, to the veterans, this would be useless, as you know the routes like the back of your hands. but as a relative newbie, coming into the world blind was a little daunting. And, when I offhandedly said "oh, I might want to build an undersea throne room", I was asked if I had ever been to Templemir. of which, I hadn't even heard of. Putting this on the site might get newbies to read about what was at the locations and say "OOH! I WANT TO LOOK AT THAT THING" and encourage them to explore.

Again, not something to implement right away. Just an idea to keep for later if you want.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Sep 2014, 12:20

That map idea is totally something that could be done. I'd have to figure out the code for imagemaps and work on updating the rail map with AlexAshman (there's some stuff that hasn't been added), but it's a great idea.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby Sky_rider19 » 10 Sep 2014, 12:42

okay, if this deal with Mojang and Microsoft is real, I fear for the future of minecraft. They might push their focus onto just Microsoft consoles, even have them update them first.
or or even worse...Paid updates!!
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 10 Sep 2014, 13:07

While we're throwing ideas around for rail stuff, just wanted to get input on an idea. Probably too big of an overhaul for the current server, but maybe useful if the modded server ever becomes a thing.

Instead of each rail station connecting to the two or three closest other stations, what if each small station just connected to larger hub stations, and those hubs connected to eachother? Not sure it would save on travel time any, but it would certainly make navigation much easier.

"How do I get to your place?" "From Spawn, go to Station A, to Station B, to Station C, to my station."

"How do I get to your place?" "From the Spawn Hub, go to the South Hub, to my personal station."
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
Ceiran
First Video: 1337

Postby Ceiran » 10 Sep 2014, 14:06

Is that not the basic idea of the Nether rail system?
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 10 Sep 2014, 14:46

That's how the rail system initially started out, but the issue is, as new rail stops get added, the hubs get congested and it just sort of organically sprawls into winding branching paths, because to maintain that would require reworking multiple lines whenever a new one was added.

I could see it getting done again once we get some major frontier hubs established, but what's currently in place would be an insane amount of work to redo to that standard again.

(At least, that's my take on it.)
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Sep 2014, 15:08

Vola has it right. Planned design + organic growth = mess. Several points on my to-do list are dependent on some rail upgrades.

ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 10 Sep 2014, 15:26

I feel like I'm not articulating myself well, so I threw together a mockup.

Spawn gets to be a bigger dot in the middle in both versions.

Left version is kind how the rail works now. Right version has "hubs" added, with Spawn getting to be a sort of meta-hub. Other than the hubs added - and connecting lines altered because of them - the dots are the same (I just kinda splatted them on randomly).

But yeah, I guess any planned system goes to hell real quick once you let players put stuff wherever. ^_^
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 10 Sep 2014, 16:50

Yes, Likal, I know that that's what you meant; it's certainly not feasible with what's in place at this point.

It's why you constantly hear the term "frontier hubs." These would serve as rail hubs far from Spawn with a teleport line to/from spawn, and potentially a mini-market/level converter, etc... for convenience. They would source rail to these hubs, rather than needing to source it all to Spawn, while still providing Spawn Access.

The goal is that having a few of these on the frontiers would help manage the branching sprawl and mapping headache that the current rail network is becoming, while providing rail access to new builds that are farther out from Spawn.

The reason we've been waiting for 1.8 was so these frontier hubs could be placed closer to the 1.8 regions, so you could get a build connected to one of these hubs AND have easy access to a 1.8 region.

It's why Memo's been trying to keep the map trimmed and to prevent expansion beyond the current boundaries.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 10 Sep 2014, 16:52

That was the original plan the current rail system starts like the one on the right then from the hubs sort of becomes the one on the left.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Sep 2014, 16:56

Yeah, I thought you articulated yourself well. But the thing you failed to consider into your idea is time. Imagine you had just the 5 middle dots. So you connect them in that X pattern. Then, add one more dot. You don't need a hub just for that, do you? And then add another on a different side. Well, if we didn't need one for that, we don't need one for this one. And so on...

Or, even if you made a hub, imagine that area got abandoned after one settlement. That would seem like wasted work. If you don't know what the future is bringing, then you won't know whether you should do something major about it or not.

You kind of get the idea. I will give you a brief history of the rail system when I get home.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Sep 2014, 17:03

Sky_rider19 wrote:okay, if this deal with Mojang and Microsoft is real, I fear for the future of minecraft. They might push their focus onto just Microsoft consoles, even have them update them first.
or or even worse...Paid updates!!
Regarding this, the worst-case scenario that I can think of is that things remain the status quo. If "paid updates" happen, that doesn't make the existing servers not work.

So, you might have to decide to remain at 1.8 instead of upgrading. You'll just have to decide if the updates are worth it.

Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 10 Sep 2014, 17:18

I can't understand how Mojang can so easily call out Oculus Rift on selling out to Facebook when they're considering selling out to Microsoft at the EXACT SAME PRICE POINT, and they don't even have the benefit of the costs of hardware mass production to use as a reason for the deal.

All I can say is, if the deal DOES happen, it'll make Notch the biggest hypocrite in game development history, because Mojang sure as hell isn't wont for money.
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 10 Sep 2014, 18:54

Arright, arright, I got it. :mrgreen: Good to know that smarter minds than I have considered it already. (And comforting that I'm better at explaining than I thought.)
craddz1967
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby craddz1967 » 12 Sep 2014, 05:24

Volafortis wrote:I can't understand how Mojang can so easily call out Oculus Rift on selling out to Facebook when they're considering selling out to Microsoft at the EXACT SAME PRICE POINT, and they don't even have the benefit of the costs of hardware mass production to use as a reason for the deal.

All I can say is, if the deal DOES happen, it'll make Notch the biggest hypocrite in game development history, because Mojang sure as hell isn't wont for money.

SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 12 Sep 2014, 10:05

<Admiralmatt> anyone have ideas for places that should be listed on the map of the server?
<Admiralmatt> so far i've got acropolos
<Admiralmatt> and hosks wall

Some Suggestions:

- All the Rail line Stops
- All the Nether Portals
- Large builds like the Bionic Trousers Monument, Orthanac, Pig Hollow, etc.
- Things of use/importance like the Community Farm, Ocean Monuments, Mob Grinders, etc.
- All Villages/places with Villagers
- Home bases of players recently active
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 12 Sep 2014, 10:18

SAJewers wrote:
<Admiralmatt> anyone have ideas for places that should be listed on the map of the server?

Some Suggestions:

- All the Nether Portals
- Things of use/importance like the Community Farm, Ocean Monuments, Mob Grinders, etc.

...I'm RELEVANT! I have Villagers!
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Sep 2014, 11:09

Yeah, Rail Line stops, Nether Portals, Large Builds, and places with useful things were always on the agenda.

One of the two reasons I had everyone register their build areas was to put them on the map.

ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 12 Sep 2014, 11:32

Lurkon wrote:
SAJewers wrote:

Some Suggestions:

- All the Nether Portals

...I'm RELEVANT! I have Villagers!

I'll have some Soon™. :mrgreen:
Admiralmatt
First Video: The Job

Postby Admiralmatt » 12 Sep 2014, 12:10

AdmiralMemo wrote:Yeah, Rail Line stops, Nether Portals, Large Builds, and places with useful things were always on the agenda.

One of the two reasons I had everyone register their build areas was to put them on the map.

sounds good,

Isn't there a document with the coordinates of those things? Nether Portals, builds, ect
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 12 Sep 2014, 12:21

I also have villagers :P
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Sep 2014, 15:15

On my buddies realms server there were 4 villages close to spawn. We started playing 8 days ago. Every village is nothing but creeper craters now. :(
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 12 Sep 2014, 17:49

And that's why you fence off your villages.
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 12 Sep 2014, 23:12

Or otherwise turn them into really creepy graveyards with overgrown mossy cobblestone, vines, and.... wait, maybe I've been playing too many apocalyptic games.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Sep 2014, 04:40

two of them are walled off we found them spawning ontop of the the peaked (stair) roof tops

[–]Graham_LRR

Return to “Video Games”