LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
DarkMorford
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby DarkMorford » 23 Sep 2016, 06:46

Just a heads-up for anyone still playing on my FTB server: I'm keeping an eye out for 1.10.2 modpacks, and I'm planning to pave the server and start fresh when a decent one shows up. I think direwolf20 is making a pack, so I'll probably use his unless there's a call for a different pack.
http://www.twitter.com/DarkMorford

Vanilla Minecraft Server (1.11.2): minecraft.darkmorford.net
Modded Minecraft Server (DW20 1.10.2): ftb.lrrcraft.com
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 23 Sep 2016, 20:15

I forgot about this server. It crashed at some point and was down for a while, so... is it working now?
squaredotcube
First Video: Ways to Whiten your Teeth

Postby squaredotcube » 26 Sep 2016, 14:48

I'm up for a new modset, though I'll probably want to pastebin my reactor monitoring script before the new pack gets installed..
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 26 Sep 2016, 15:22

If you're looking for a modpack, apparently there's gonna be a Hermitcraft modpack.
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 29 Sep 2016, 18:17

Also keep in mind that Clench Eastwood is running a Realms server. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24709
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 03 Oct 2016, 10:11

Do people still play on that Realms server? that last few times I've been on, no one else has been on
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 07 Oct 2016, 14:07

DarkMorford wrote:Just a heads-up for anyone still playing on my FTB server: I'm keeping an eye out for 1.10.2 modpacks, and I'm planning to pave the server and start fresh when a decent one shows up. I think direwolf20 is making a pack, so I'll probably use his unless there's a call for a different pack.

Hermitcraft just came out with one, FYI.
squaredotcube

Postby squaredotcube » 08 Oct 2016, 07:23

Being curious I looked around at some of the older modpacks to get an idea of would make a nice return to 1.10. Some of these mods have made the jump, but others haven't or changed to what I would consider an inferior version.

As of right now I'd say that waiting until Thermal Expansion and Thaumcraft updates to 1.10 may be a better decision since many designs focus around using Thermal Expansion blocks since they much easier to build and set up compared to IC2.

Extra Utilities 2 removed a lot of blocks this time, and has appeared to split off the generators to a much visually uglier Simple Generators mod. QED and its ender machines are gone though.

OpenBlocks hasn't made the jump but there is the much more cumbersome Flat Colored Blocks if you're looking for a canvas replacement.

MineFactory has some great blocks yet hasn't made the jump, but EnviromentalTech fills some of those holes.

A few other mods such as Immersive Engineering had a few useful bits here and there but I think we can get by without them.

But that's my synopsis of what's available right now: Wait a month or two for more mods to make the jump.
angryoptimist
First Video: The first I *remember* is Checkpoint.

Postby angryoptimist » 10 Oct 2016, 09:20

So, I thought I'd look at what's already there with respect to 1.10 kitchen sink packs, and checked out All The Mods for 1.10.2. Thing wouldn't run without GC thrashing until I gave it more than 4GB. I ended up just handing it 6GB; I can do that, but the RAM requirements of 1.7.10 modpacks were already too steep for some. Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't messed with 1.10(.2) modding yet.

squaredotcube wrote:Being curious I looked around at some of the older modpacks to get an idea of would make a nice return to 1.10. Some of these mods have made the jump, but others haven't or changed to what I would consider an inferior version.

As of right now I'd say that waiting until Thermal Expansion and Thaumcraft updates to 1.10 may be a better decision since many designs focus around using Thermal Expansion blocks since they much easier to build and set up compared to IC2.

From what the author(s) of Thermal Expansion were saying a month or few ago (burnout and a general lack of desire to rewrite it all within the new paradigm of a new version), we might never get back the Thermal Expansion of 1.7.10 in 1.10. However, EnderIO does at least have beta versions available for 1.10.2, and that provides most of what you'd want from Thermal Expansion (if in a bit of a different flavor).
WokenClick
First Video: Desert Bus 7

Postby WokenClick » 16 Oct 2016, 14:35

SAJewers wrote:Do people still play on that Realms server? that last few times I've been on, no one else has been on

A few of us do, although it looks like it currently has had its subscription lapse. I'd be interested in taking it over if this is going to be a problem.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 16 Oct 2016, 16:51

If I had a functioning broadband connection I would be playing on it.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Oct 2016, 17:28

I launched the LRRcraft Patreon to check out interest in playing again: https://www.patreon.com/LRRcraft

Immediate goal: Get the server back up.
Future goal: Install server mods to shard the world. See if we can make worlds that are copies of LRRMC, the Realm, etc.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 20 Oct 2016, 23:38

//checks figures & budget...

I'm not certain if it'll get launched & how often I'll be on... but I miss having a semi-private server & I'll to put my money towards it each month.

Now, if there's at least 14 other people funding at the $5 mark (showing $4 after processing fees), we should be good. I know my pledge is a bit conservative, but I'm look to keep it sustaining for the long haul & I do have a little wiggle room to work with, should we get close.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Oct 2016, 22:48

Yeah, fair enough, and if this gets off the ground, one of the donations will be my own.

squaredotcube

Postby squaredotcube » 22 Oct 2016, 16:47

DarkMorford's got a temporary Vanilla serer running and we've set this area as spawn. It probably won't be as built up as Spawntown, but it's relatively flat, has access to the ocean and is well defended by mountains:

Right now I'm thinking that road infrastructure is our first thing to do here, along with filling in any pools of water and that hole that exposes the ravine. From there we build a canal to connect the ocean and river just above the beach, create a port out of the lower end of the beach, make a quay with lighthouse on the end out of the part that's jutting out, and finally terrace the place to keep the place looking nice. From there it's zoning and constructing essential buildings, ending with the remaining zones open to construction for users - Areas might be themed just to keep things consistent.
DarkMorford
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby DarkMorford » 22 Oct 2016, 17:50

squaredotcube wrote:DarkMorford's got a temporary Vanilla server running and we've set this area as spawn.

The key word here is "temporary," as it's running on my fileserver in my apartment. The plan is just to run this until LRRcraft can get back on its feet, but maybe it could be integrated into a multiworld setup?

Anyway, the server is at saber.darkmorford.net. You'll need to get in touch with me to be added to the whitelist; I'm usually hanging out in the twitch chat or on Discord.
http://www.twitter.com/DarkMorford

Vanilla Minecraft Server (1.11.2): minecraft.darkmorford.net
Modded Minecraft Server (DW20 1.10.2): ftb.lrrcraft.com
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Oct 2016, 15:58

I'll do some refactoring of the server requirements to see if I can lower the cost of the server for LRRcraft for the Patreon.

qrpth
First Video: iPotato

Postby qrpth » 24 Oct 2016, 01:34

60 USD/month seems like a lot for those specs. For example a comparable server at Hetzner (the current hosting provider for LRRbot) costs 20 EUR a month and I bet you can find something in that price range in North America as well.

Code: Select all

< qrpth> !explain Desert Bus 2
<@​lrrbot> James Turner
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 25 Oct 2016, 08:29

FYI: they're testing a new Launcher: https://redd.it/59b7m0
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 26 Oct 2016, 01:30

LRRCRAFT SERVER IS CURRENTLY A GO!

I don't know who the other 3 Patreons are... but there's an extra $63 / mo. (net average of $21 / person) to break the Launch Funding level (covering all server costs + some extra to cover DNS costs OR expansion). While I'm hope the others are sustaining pledges, this should help reseed the server for others to reconnect & join into the Patreon.

While this is ultimately riding on Memo to follow through, I'd like to thank everybody so far to get this going again.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 26 Oct 2016, 09:40

Which map will be in this version of LRRCRAFT? I want to keep working on the build I just started on DarkMorford's server.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Oct 2016, 09:50

I was... not expecting this that quickly.... The map is nowhere near ready, and I haven't refactored the requirements. But... thanks?

The map will be the one that it was before, with Spawn City, the Trousers, that sort of thing. I don't think DarkMorford's server is going away any time soon, so you can still play on that.

Edit: I've refactored the costs down to $25 a month for the Patreon by cutting most of the RAM and only 1 CPU. I'm no longer expecting 20 concurrent players playing anymore.

Jostain
First Video: ways to hide a body

Postby Jostain » 27 Oct 2016, 13:12

I am not great on the technical aspects of this but is it possible to run other games in tandem with the minecraft server for short periods of time? for example then the patreon goes over the set amount we could for example run a rust server for a month next to the minecraft server. Next month you could run a factorio sever and so on. short runs with games that dont require the same longevity as a minecraft server. It might attract more people to chip in too (one could add a voting system for patrons only to reward them).
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Oct 2016, 18:16

That is totally possible on the hosting I'm using. Some of the cheaper options specifically tailored to Minecraft, probably not.

Macheya
First Video: The Dinner Party

Postby Macheya » 31 Oct 2016, 14:20

Do I need to ask permission to join the vanilla DarkMorford server?

Return to “Video Games”