LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby ChroniclerC » 18 Mar 2015, 21:10

Volafortis wrote:I don't see why anything would need to be demolished. Sure, plenty of the buildings are purely aesthetic, but it's not like they're preventing anything functional from being built. I like city atmosphere it provides. I'd rather have functional buildings with the city atmosphere than just having a hodgepodge of functional buildings.

Yes, I agree Spawn should have a tree farm, community farm, stables, post office, enchanting tables, etc.., but there's no sense in pretending that having the functional buildings or aesthetic buildings are mutually exclusive when they're not.

I quite agree. In fact, I was quite excited to find out what most of these cool-looking building would do. Only to be disappointed to find that they do nothing. If they can be retrofitted to do something useful in addition to looking cool, I look forward to it. You're quite right in that we can have buildings with both form and function. But as it stands, most of them have only one (and obviously I'd rather have the other :wink: ).
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 18 Mar 2015, 21:31

Well then why ask for anything in place to be demolished? It's not like there's no space.
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 18 Mar 2015, 22:12

ChroniclerC wrote:Well, let me put it this way. Is there any plan to keep/demolish the superfluous buildings? Because I feel that Spawn is meant to be a utilitarian area, and most of these buildings, while they may look cool, they don't do anything.

Perhaps it's a misunderstanding of purpose, and it's definitely me being a control freak. After Memo's server, I feel that the primary purpose of a "Spawn City" is that of a public hub comprised primarily of utilitarian buildings intended for public use. And I am bothered that this space has instead been used for purely aesthetic personal projects. Furthermore, I believe that most of them, if not all, were constructed in Creative mode, which greatly devalues them in my eye. (I state this not to insult, but to explain my lack of interest in their continued use of the space.) And being a control freak, here I am making a big stink about the "right" way to do it. :P
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Mar 2015, 03:58

They were mostly/entirely made in creative, because the original plan was to have James plug it on his stream last week, only four days after the server went up, so Lambmower wanted to make sure there would be something present around Spawn to make the server look populated, rather than just an empty field with a few utilitarian buildings scattered around.

After today, there shouldn't be any issue with repurposing/remaking the buildings in spawn around utilitarian functions, just so long as there's some planning and coordination.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
FourEyedTroll
First Video: Echo

Postby FourEyedTroll » 19 Mar 2015, 05:13

Any chance of getting permissions for Jonga_Khan on the server please?
The Old Ludensian

This Interweb is pretty nifty, eh?

Aka: Osprey or OspreyGBR, mostly in the world of PC Gaming.
MtG: Mono-Black Infect. Hand of the Praetors FTW!

LRRCraft Server Link: lrrmc.dahou.se
squaredotcube
First Video: Ways to Whiten your Teeth

Postby squaredotcube » 19 Mar 2015, 05:21

There's a different kind of utilitarian that is present in some of these buildings though. The embassy, for example, is to primarily highlight the large project I have planned on the other side of the large bay east of Spawn City. Most of the extra stuff in the building is fluff, sure, but it also serves as a location I can use whenever I come to Spawn City in Survival.

Although I do plan to create an automat eventually, so that will help with food distribution.
AlexAshman
First Video: Fear Itself

Postby AlexAshman » 19 Mar 2015, 06:51

As mentioned, the Southwest Village is now open via the Nether.

Overworld coords -1260, 1050
Nether coord -158, 131

Enjoy.
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 19 Mar 2015, 07:30

Master Gunner wrote:They were mostly/entirely made in creative, because the original plan was to have James plug it on his stream last week, only four days after the server went up, so Lambmower wanted to make sure there would be something present around Spawn to make the server look populated, rather than just an empty field with a few utilitarian buildings scattered around.

After today, there shouldn't be any issue with repurposing/remaking the buildings in spawn around utilitarian functions, just so long as there's some planning and coordination.

I'm pretty sure that was the plan - essentially "spawn looks poopy, throw up some houses in creative mode to make it look interesting on camera". So in a sense, the aesthetic *is* the function... basically one big movie set. Once we're done "filming", it would be replaced where necessary.

That's how I read into it anyway

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
LambMower
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby LambMower » 19 Mar 2015, 08:20

Omega Lairon wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:They were mostly/entirely made in creative, because the original plan was to have James plug it on his stream last week, only four days after the server went up, so Lambmower wanted to make sure there would be something present around Spawn to make the server look populated, rather than just an empty field with a few utilitarian buildings scattered around.

I'm pretty sure that was the plan - essentially "spawn looks poopy, throw up some houses in creative mode to make it look interesting on camera". So in a sense, the aesthetic *is* the function... basically one big movie set. Once we're done "filming", it would be replaced where necessary.

That's how I read into it anyway

Yes, this is entirely correct. The original plan was for there to actually be something in spawn when James came and checked it out. But I don't want people's work to get torn down so I'd rather retrofit buildings into more useful structures later. We can sort this out, I'd like spawn to both be aesthetically pleasing and functional.

FourEyedTroll wrote:Any chance of getting permissions for Jonga_Khan on the server please?

Done
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Mar 2015, 09:52

Well if anybody has an idea of what to put in the glass "bank" building next to the spawn pavilion, I'd be happy to retrofit it to that purpose.

...Will need to get a lot of glass though.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Mar 2015, 10:42

people need to remember that this is a new server, it takes time to build up stuff.

This server has been open for less than 2 weeks, AdmiralMemos sever was running for like two years before we all got on it.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 19 Mar 2015, 11:20

So I've been exploring. Here is a new discovery of JERF-falls (-902, -2462)
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 19 Mar 2015, 11:54

"Hey guys, we haven't been up long, but we've been really active! Look at all this stuff we made! *cough*In creative mode.*cough* Isn't it cool?"
:?

But whatever. What's done is done.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Mar 2015, 12:03

As opposed to "Hey guys, we haven't been up long, but we've being really active! Just everybody's buggered off to the four corners of the world so here's an empty field with no indication of life, but we're here, honest!"
:?

To each their own, but understand that spawn was built as just a placeholder, a proof of concept, purely something to provide a hint of visual interest on a temporary basis.
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 19 Mar 2015, 12:29

Insert discussion of "Truth in advertising, show it when it's ready" versus "Generate hype, get players". Someone gets butthurt. Shenanigans ensue. Someone ends up hit in the face with a pie. Pause for a beat. Everyone laughs, shares important life lesson. Return to status quo. Fade to black, roll credits. :P
KinoGami
First Video: Desert Bus Killed the Internet Star

Postby KinoGami » 19 Mar 2015, 13:16

ChroniclerC wrote:Someone ends up hit in the face with a pie

That is exactly how Canadians deal with politicians
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 19 Mar 2015, 16:28

KinoGami wrote:
ChroniclerC wrote:Someone ends up hit in the face with a pie

That is exactly how Canadians deal with politicians

Truth.

On another note, I'd like to join the server, and I'd actually like to be able to design and build dungeons, mazes, and challenge courses that don't rely on existing spawners to function. I'm fine not having creative mode or OP/command permissions to do this, and to pull it off without I would require occasional assistance from someone who does have such permissions. Would that be possible, and would anyone be interested in taking on such games?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Mar 2015, 16:29

Lord Hosk wrote:This server has been open for less than 2 weeks, AdmiralMemos sever was running for like two years before we all got on it.
More like a year, really.

On another note: LRRcraft is like 80% done, but having no MCEdit anymore has stalled it, just as it was almost complete. :(

If I do get it working again, I've been told that if I upgrade to Spiggot, we can coordinate and teleport between servers, which would be great.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 19 Mar 2015, 16:32

Hello.
I was inspired by James to play some Minecraft again. I'd love permission to build stuff! My name is Herbert_Erpaderp.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 19 Mar 2015, 16:49

How does the Map Web Chat work? How does one register?
KinoGami

Postby KinoGami » 19 Mar 2015, 17:15

someone dug a tunnel underneath me again D:
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Mar 2015, 18:03

Web chat does not work yet. Apparently, it'll take a few days to get it working.

KinoGami

Postby KinoGami » 19 Mar 2015, 18:51

So I'm going to post this here. Please do not dig under -400x/270z to -600x/430z. I have plans for building something underground and i would really appreciate it if folks didn't mine through it
MuteNewt
First Video: Friday nights

Postby MuteNewt » 19 Mar 2015, 20:18

Unequivocally Useful building/farm is created.
Building straigt up disappears.
*goes back to gdigging holes in corner and not trying to be useful*
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Mar 2015, 20:19

Wait, what happened?

Return to “Video Games”