LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby SAJewers » 26 Jul 2015, 08:53

Not that I know of. It's pretty much been "Move up portal, test portal, move up other portals until everything links correctly."

EDIT: This is what the wiki says on portals:

Portals do not permanently "remember" what portal they are linked to in the other world, but instead perform the following whenever a portal is used by a player:

First, if the portal block in which the player is standing has been used recently, then it will re-use the destination that was chosen the last time; in this sense, portals do "remember" their linked pairs, but only for about 60 seconds (1200 game world ticks, or 600 redstone ticks). One side effect of this behavior is that the cached destination is not validated before being re-used, so if a player travels through a portal and immediately deactivates it on the other side, other players can still follow them through for the next 60 seconds and appear at the same destination, even though there is no longer an active portal there. After 60 seconds have passed without anyone using the same origin portal, the cached destination will expire.

If the player's origin portal has not been used recently, then a new destination will be computed. First, the game converts the entry coordinates into destination coordinates as above: The entry X- and Z-coordinates are multiplied or divided by 8 (or 3) depending on direction of travel, while the Y-coordinate is not changed.

Starting at these destination coordinates, the game looks for the closest active portal. It searches a bounding area of 128 horizontal blocks from the player, and the full map height (128 for the Nether, 256 for the Overworld). This gives a search area of 257 blocks by 257 blocks, at the full height of the dimension being traveled to.

An active portal for this purpose is defined as a portal block which does not have another portal block below it, thus only the 2 lowest portal blocks in the obsidian frame are considered. A single portal block spawned in and placed using server commands would be a valid location.

If a candidate portal is found, then the portal will teleport the player to the closest one as determined by the distance in the new coordinate system (including the Y coordinate, which can cause seemingly more distant portals to be selected). Note that this is Euclidean distance, not taxicab distance. The distance computation between portals in range is a straight-line distance calculation, and the shortest path will be chosen, counting the Y difference.
Last edited by SAJewers on 26 Jul 2015, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
Road-hog123
First Video: DesertBus 8 Livestream

Postby Road-hog123 » 26 Jul 2015, 09:09

What I mean is this: if you move a "closer" Portal slightly sideways, it might become far enough away that the proper portal is chosen?
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 26 Jul 2015, 09:16

Not necessarily, since minecraft uses Euclidean distance for determining which portal to use. Assuming the portal was built at sea level (y=64), the portal would have to be about more than 51 blocks away for it to not link up (assuming the new portal is at y=115). For some portals, this is a far ways away, and not feasible to move slightly over to the side. Read my edit, which includes the relevant wiki page on portals.
Road-hog123

Postby Road-hog123 » 26 Jul 2015, 09:43

Well, they don't *have* to be at 115 or 109 for the lower level, the tunnels can have stairs in like mine does. ;)
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 26 Jul 2015, 09:58

SAJewers wrote:See, I was under the impression from your last post that you wanted someone to move the portal to the new HUB for you. I'll move it back down for you, but there might be too much of a height disparity to simply connect it.

EDIT: Your portal was re-lit. Feel free to connect it yourself.

ChroniclerC wrote:If the nether hub is being worked on, I would like to point out the nether railway beneath the fortress near the old (spawn) hub that leads to Mysh's base and my base.
(X-102/Y35/Z-6:-312)

Look, I'm down for public works projects. Safe roads that go everywhere; Yay. But if that project involves going into or through other people's builds, then the project involves contacting each of those people directly. Because, sure, some people aren't going to care. But some people have put a lot of work into things, and they'll get really pissed if you break it because you didn't ask.
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 26 Jul 2015, 10:02

We'd still have to do calculations to determine where the portal would have to go on the y-axis in order for it to link up correctly, and for some portals, they're just too close. For Memo's portal for example, if you moved it down, you'd probably just end up over the lava again.

It's just a lot more simpler just to move an offending portal up to the new HUB than to determine what portals are within 128 blocks of the correct destination coords, and calculate euclidean distance for each.

ChroniclerC wrote:
SAJewers wrote:See, I was under the impression from your last post that you wanted someone to move the portal to the new HUB for you. I'll move it back down for you, but there might be too much of a height disparity to simply connect it.

EDIT: Your portal was re-lit. Feel free to connect it yourself.

ChroniclerC wrote:If the nether hub is being worked on, I would like to point out the nether railway beneath the fortress near the old (spawn) hub that leads to Mysh's base and my base.
(X-102/Y35/Z-6:-312)

Look, I'm down for public works projects. Safe roads that go everywhere; Yay. But if that project involves going into or through other people's builds, then the project involves contacting each of those people directly. Because, sure, some people aren't going to care. But some people have put a lot of work into things, and they'll get really pissed if you break it because you didn't ask.

Like I said, I understood from you post that you wanted someone to move your portal for you. I didn't touch the railway at all. All I did was disable the nether portal, and build a new one at a different y-height.
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 26 Jul 2015, 10:42

SAJewers wrote:Like I said, I understood from you post that you wanted someone to move your portal for you. I didn't touch the railway at all. All I did was disable the nether portal, and build a new one at a different y-height.

I don't know where you got that from, as I never said anything about my portal anywhere. But whatever.

I wholeheartedly encourage you to connect to, fiddle with, and/or expand upon that railway if it's convenient for what you're working on. (I consider it a public road, not "mine", so I don't care what happens to it so long as it still works as at least a safe walkway.) If there is a Nether Hub being built centered on the Spawn City portal, I would like to be connected to that Hub, preferably via that railway if possible (especially since it terminates relatively nearby Spawn), but not in a way that invalidates my current portal chamber.

But given my snit-fit, I won't blame you if you say "Naw, you do it." :P
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
Road-hog123

Postby Road-hog123 » 26 Jul 2015, 11:02

Is that rail the one to the west of spawn that heads north? If so, then I had already considered connecting it to the west tunnel (but I can't until at least Saturday evening).
Road-hog123

Postby Road-hog123 » 26 Jul 2015, 11:03

Is that rail the one to the west of spawn that heads north? If so, then I had already considered connecting it to the west tunnel (but I can't until at least Saturday evening).
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 26 Jul 2015, 11:43

Memo: You portal's been fixed. For some reason, minecraft decided that Droddy's portal was the closer portal. Moving Droddy's Portal and The Mt. LRRMore Portal made yours connect correctly. *shrug*

ChroniclerC wrote:
SAJewers wrote:Like I said, I understood from you post that you wanted someone to move your portal for you. I didn't touch the railway at all. All I did was disable the nether portal, and build a new one at a different y-height.

I don't know where you got that from, as I never said anything about my portal anywhere. But whatever.

I wholeheartedly encourage you to connect to, fiddle with, and/or expand upon that railway if it's convenient for what you're working on. (I consider it a public road, not "mine", so I don't care what happens to it so long as it still works as at least a safe walkway.) If there is a Nether Hub being built centered on the Spawn City portal, I would like to be connected to that Hub, preferably via that railway if possible (especially since it terminates relatively nearby Spawn), but not in a way that invalidates my current portal chamber.

But given my snit-fit, I won't blame you if you say "Naw, you do it." :P

Ah. I understood "A connection would be appreciated" to mean it was OK for us to build a new portal up in the new area, not that wanted a set of stairs down to that rail line. My Mistake >.>

Road-hog123 wrote:Is that rail the one to the west of spawn that heads north? If so, then I had already considered connecting it to the west tunnel (but I can't until at least Saturday evening).
The one lear the Lava Sea? Yeah that's it. Also, what are your plans for those tunnels? Me and TwistedPear have been grabbing people as we see them, and notifying them about moving their portals up. It'd be nice to know so we don't screw up any plans you had in mind.

Anyway: Here's an update on portals:

Moved up by portal's owner:
-Eastern Drop Mountians
-Crafing Bench Island
-Boscoham
-AdmiralMemo's Place/Paul Sandbar
-Road_Hog123
-MagisterMystax's Land of Issit
-Clench's Place
-the Squirrel Demense
-Twister Pearl's Nether Region
-Shallowslake
-NF's Salvok Home

Moved up by virtue of owner's inactivity:
-James Turner's House
-Scrizati's Farm

Portals to Public Works Projects that have been moved up:
-Desert
-SW Village

Moved up to fix incorrect connections:
-New Dewford (Or did Omega Lairon move it himself?)
-Herbert Hole
-FlyingDutchman Cottage
-Psychogiests's Home
-Church's Fortress (though he may know about this one)
-Fort Dredge(Droddy)
-Mt LRRMore
-Rosevale
-Taos's Mudhut
-AlexAshman's Castle
-Home for Needy Thanatoses
-Leap of Faith Shrine

Portal Destroyed below, but not yet moved:
-Unnamed Portal with no build identification

Not moved, but Owner knows of new HUB:
-Temple of St. Bradley
-Glem Frost
-CptnFalafel's House
-ChroniclerC's Home

Known incorrect connections:
-SW Village currently connects with Drakmon's Nether Portal
AlexAshmsn's Portal currently connects with the main Spawn Portal

All other portals, to my knowledge, have not been touched, and their owners do know of the new HUB.
Last edited by SAJewers on 26 Jul 2015, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jul 2015, 12:22

Paul Sandbar will have a separate portal eventually, and I'm going to re-orient my portal to the other direction and re-do the room so we can walk right in.

Also, there's a portal above the bedrock that connects to Fort Dredge. Not sure what we're doing about that.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 26 Jul 2015, 13:26

SAJewers wrote:(words)

Moved up to fix incorrect connections:
-New Dewford (Or did Omega Lairon move it himself?)

(etc.)

Maaaaaan, I've been so pre-occupied with my big stupid project that I haven't had time to do s*** back anywhere even remotely considered civilisation. Anything done to my portals is totally outta my hands (which while I approve, I probably wouldn't have minded being asked first either, but it's no biggie). Although that said, I did swing by the new hub to check it out, leave a few banners, and generally "sign off" on the improvements, as it were.

Also, as long as there's no further plans to move or demolish my old portal room in the nether, I've left a note with a vague intention of doing a thing with it later. It's no big deal if y'all have better plans for it, but otherwise, it'll eventually just be a small monument or statue type thing

Oh, and one last thingy, whoever was over in ND making sure my portal still worked (or I suppose just visitors in general), could ya please close the doors when you're done? They're not automatic, and it seems really rude and inconsiderate to just leave 'em open. (I mean, they're closed now, but for next time). Thanks

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 26 Jul 2015, 15:55

AFAIK, the old sky bridges and stuff are staying. Only thing we'll probably do is get rid of the torches adorning the nether fortresses (so people can actually use them to grind for wither skeletons).
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 26 Jul 2015, 22:13

Should I move up my portal (The House of Chrusher) and the one to the village south of my place (Thimbletrimmer)? I am pretty far into the west - roughly as far west of James as James is west of Spawn.

I feel a little of silly now for digging out a 3 x 3 tunnel from the Nether Fortress to my portal a month or two ago.

Nice to see progress on the redevelopement of Spawn.

Edit: I am no longer buying cobble. People went a little overboard and I think the store is a bit bugged with that many blocks.

Edit again: Maybe not bug so much as not tired person proof. The mechanics for removing stock are a little counter intuitive when you are running on very little sleep.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
SAJewers

Postby SAJewers » 27 Jul 2015, 04:34

I would. While you're at it, maybe move the portal to the Swamp too.

Also, a pre-release for 1.8.8 (along with a spigot update) was just released.
Road-hog123

Postby Road-hog123 » 27 Jul 2015, 09:45

Re: Rail line: I would need to inspect the area to find out how best to connect the line, but the basic idea is to slope up to the main West tunnel and lay a rail line along it.

Re: Old Nethergrid: I have to plans to destroy it myself, but if there is a general consensus to want to rid the nether of its cobweb I would not be against it.

Re: Being really far out: The original purpose of the main N/E/S/W tunnels was so that those far away could link to a main tunnel to avoid long, individual, parallel tunnels, with those nearer spawn claiming their personal opening to the hub. However, it seems to have become the case that the openings into the hub are become communal, which might make it then more sensible for people in a far out area to share an opening.

Re: Everyone: In my opinion, I don't give a rat's ass about how people are linked to the new hub as long as they are happy with it and it doesn't make people angry at me for creating a hub that has caused them problems. I would, however, like there to be at least some aesthetic and navigational benefit to having built the thing. :)
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 27 Jul 2015, 17:27

I kind of wish the main tunnels had been used since there are now two long western tunnels - one to Jamestown and the one to Boscoham and others.

I built a cross tunnel between the two tunnels at Jamestown and I have connected my portals to the Boscoham tunnel. I will look into moving the Swamp portal but I don't think it is used much.
Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 27 Jul 2015, 19:36

The Swamp portal has now been moved.

I am also buying cobble and stone again.
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 28 Jul 2015, 00:49

Just a few quick notes from my activities...

1) The "Dery Project" is underway as ground leveling has been completed. A small shelter known as "Beej's Back Hut" is currently noted on the map.

2) "Dery Way", the road to the project site, has been completed for a while & is located on the Lusian Trail. Anybody wish to reach to project site can take the use the Nether Portal located in the tower basement of Little Arcadium & follow the path to the east, then north to reach the project site.

3) Beej's Back Hut right now is just a temporary work shelter for those who wish to work on the Dery Project. At this time, the house for the project is currently low on the priority list for me... so if anybody want to build the house, feel free to do so.

The only request I have is that the construction should be made out of beech wood, as that's the abundant source of wood near the project site.

4) Current step in the project is to get the farm land established for all viable crops. This area will be sectioned off by fences before initial crops are planted.

To ensure all "above ground" crops are available, request for at least 16 jungle logs (ideally 32 logs) & a stack of cocoa beans be provided.

5) A "general pasture" will be next on the project list to be a safe haven for all livestock that will be host for the farm. An official barn will be constructed at a later time.

6) Once some official structures are in place, I would like get an official nether portal for "Beej's Dery Farm" set up... assuming there's no conflict with the current portals.

7) As for the current nether portal for Little Arcadium, as long as it's in the same hub as JamesTown during the restructuring there, I'm not going to complain.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
squaredotcube
First Video: Ways to Whiten your Teeth

Postby squaredotcube » 28 Jul 2015, 06:01

How would anyone feel about a Build-a-Thon in Spawntown this weekend? We still have a lot of yellow-lined empty lots and there's a public work or two that still needs to be built, though I'd prefer they are built by someone other than me so that I don't feel like I'm responsible for constructing 90% of Spawntown's structures.

There's also the new East-West line under the Transportarium that needs to be expanded in either direction, along with stops added for areas that need them (Underground Market, Hope's Point region).

But before that, I'll need Lamb to get some buildings moved and have the spawn set to the new building.

If you want to participate, just show up in Spawntown this weekend and I'll give you Creative mode so you can start or assist on whatever Spawntown-centric project you want.
Road-hog123

Postby Road-hog123 » 28 Jul 2015, 09:24

Ooh... That sounds interesting! I had considered asking if I could work on the line from the transportarium to the mall if you didn't want to yourself, but you've basically just said you want me to... :) If nobody else particularly wants to build sections of railway, I'm happy to do the rest of any lines that want building myself too. Will there be any particular times as such (preferably converted to UTC or GMT for ease of timezones) or just whenever you're on sq?
Edit: I also haven't seen any more angry complaints about nether portals and the hub since I last read the forum, so that's nice. :)
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 28 Jul 2015, 11:11

I'd work on Spawn if I had permissions.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lord Chrusher

Postby Lord Chrusher » 28 Jul 2015, 17:17

I am also willing to contribute my labour to rebuilding Spawn.
Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby Sky_rider19 » 29 Jul 2015, 06:26

Snapshot alert! Let the countdown to the combat update begin!
https://mojang.com/2015/07/minecraft-snapshot-15w31a/
squaredotcube
First Video: Ways to Whiten your Teeth

Postby squaredotcube » 29 Jul 2015, 19:21

If you haven't checked out Spawntown, there's been a lot of changes on the surface. Buildings have been moved thanks to Osprey, lots have been plotted, and we finally have an open square again! Some of those lots have special build conditions however, such as the light blue rectangles are market stalls and the lot beside the landing corridor can only be one floor tall. If you don't have time or aren't at a device that can run a version of MC that can visit the server, don't forget about Dynmap at http://lrrmap.rebellious.uno

Return to “Video Games”