Dear people who hate Turn based RPGs.

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Re: Dear people who hate Turn based RPGs.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 09 Dec 2010, 10:07

Hileict wrote:The common misconception from gamers who have never played an FF game, yet complain about them is "theres too many of them lolololololol", which isn't quite true at all, because none of them are related, except FFVII (Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Last Order, Advent Children)

Dirge of Cerberus, On the Way to a Smile, The Maiden Who Travels the Planet, and so on.

Hileict wrote:(FFX-2, with an odd canon-related link to VII's Shinra Corp.)

Which makes no sense if you really stop and think about it and was only done to further milk FFVII's popularity.

Hileict wrote:I mean, he ditched the woman that eventually became Rinoa's (THAT FUCKING HARPY-FACED WHORE!) mother!

That never happened. I mean, if by ditched, you mean he fell off a cliff and broke every bone in his body, leaving her to think he was dead, then, yeah, he ditched her.

If going to be vocal about not liking something, you should at least have your facts straight.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Dec 2010, 10:35

Dear people who complain about games;

Please shut up. It is literally the dumbest thing in the universe.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 10 Dec 2010, 00:21

Gordon Fearman wrote:Dirge of Cerberus, On the Way to a Smile, The Maiden Who Travels the Planet, and so on.

Perfectly valid point. I intended on putting Dirge of Cerberus in there at least but forgot. I.. Don't know what the other two titles refer to though.. *is Australian and we don't get much JP-only content*

Gordon Fearman wrote:Which makes no sense if you really stop and think about it and was only done to further milk FFVII's popularity.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I really think it's a huge stretch the FFX-2 character, Shinra, built a rocket ship and eventually started an electricity company, while mining the earth of its life. But then again, it is referenced heavily in FFX-2. By Shinra, no less.

Gordon Fearman wrote:That never happened. I mean, if by ditched, you mean he fell off a cliff and broke every bone in his body, leaving her to think he was dead, then, yeah, he ditched her.

You're reading way too much into things. Seriously. Ditched could mean anything. He didn't make any effort to go back to Deling City at all. No, he stayed in Winhill. With Raine. Where life was pretty awesome.

metcarfre wrote:Dear people who complain about games;

Please shut up. It is literally the dumbest thing in the universe.

..Yes. That is the gist of this thread. Nice work, Eagle Eye~! :D Somehow added nothing new to the content of the discussion. So.. Yeah.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 10 Dec 2010, 00:28

Hileict wrote:
Gordon Fearman wrote:That never happened. I mean, if by ditched, you mean he fell off a cliff and broke every bone in his body, leaving her to think he was dead, then, yeah, he ditched her.

You're reading way too much into things. Seriously. Ditched could mean anything. He didn't make any effort to go back to Deling City at all. No, he stayed in Winhill. With Raine. Where life was pretty awesome.

After he found out that Julia had married.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Cybren

Postby Cybren » 10 Dec 2010, 17:12

dear turn based RPGs

be less boring
MattAn

Postby MattAn » 10 Dec 2010, 21:47

Cybren wrote:dear turn based RPGs

be less boring

Dear Cybren,

Stick to your own damn games then. You have no right to comment on it if you aren't either playing them or being at least somewhat constructive. You're just being a elitist dick.

They might be "boring" to you. Fine. Don't play them. Simple solution. Do not take that away from anyone who WANTS to play them instead, or play them as well as real-time games.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 10 Dec 2010, 21:51

be less boring

I know. I was playing Chess the other day and I was like "Man, I wish this was in realtime."

Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 10 Dec 2010, 21:58

H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 10 Dec 2010, 22:11

I refuse to click on that link.

Arius

Postby Arius » 10 Dec 2010, 22:16

It's not FoM, it's Tempest Chess. Basically, realtime chess.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 10 Dec 2010, 22:21

Dear people who hate sports games;

Yeah, I get it, thanks.
Arius

Postby Arius » 10 Dec 2010, 22:27

Dear people who hate Fear of Matt:

An Apology
AC Drawings
First Video: Hot Water at PAX

Postby AC Drawings » 10 Dec 2010, 22:29

I prefer to go middle ground and play the Tales series. Everything you could ever want out of a JRPG without the turn-based stuff.

Not that turned based RPGs are bad but sometimes you want an active battle every so often.

Anyhow, can't we all just get along? Learn to love the world, be a friend? Not let the other guys curb your mellow becuase they like different stuff?
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 10 Dec 2010, 23:24

Arius wrote:It's not FoM, it's Tempest Chess. Basically, realtime chess.

I don't care. The line must be drawn here. This far, no farther. And I will make you pay for what you've done.

MattAn

Postby MattAn » 11 Dec 2010, 06:51

Arius, he will break eventually! Never give up! Torment. Continue the pressure until it can no longer be ignored! All must follow Fear of Matt!
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 11 Dec 2010, 11:56

Hileict wrote:

be less boring

Dear Cybren,

Stick to your own damn games then. You have no right to comment on it if you aren't either playing them or being at least somewhat constructive. You're just being a elitist dick.

They might be "boring" to you. Fine. Don't play them. Simple solution. Do not take that away from anyone who WANTS to play them instead, or play them as well as real-time games.

dear hileict.

i don't really care
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 11 Dec 2010, 13:30

Hileict wrote:

be less boring

Dear Cybren,

Dear Hileict,
Aren't you being a tad hypocritical here?
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 11 Dec 2010, 14:49

I mean, it's in no way wrong to say the JRPG peaked by the SNES-Playstation era, and that "turn based" as a concept is not necessarily out of date, but abandoned by every developer except Atlus. I can't really think of any modern turn based western RPGs, except that Temple of Elemental Evil game no one liked, though some games (NWN 1&2, Dragon Age) have been rather disgustingly haphazard attempts at real time. Dragon age wasn't as bad but was still almost impossible to play without pausing, and no one enjoyed the NWN games from their rich combat experiences.

My principal complains with the gameplay in FF12 and 13 is they try (in different ways) to pretend they're not turn based, and Blitz Ball was retarded in FFX (in terms of gameplay) because it was a turn based game. Had it been the underwater version of NBA Jam, it'd have been super sweet diggity.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 11 Dec 2010, 21:05

Jillers wrote:
Hileict wrote:

be less boring

Dear Cybren,

Dear Hileict,
Nope.

The point of this thread is, if you don't like a genre, don't play it. Don't try to get it changed to your personal preferences.

And this thought just occurred to me. The number one reason turn based RPGs should by used now more than ever is because it can show much more than most other genres. Think off any action RPG. Not try to picture any battle animations. Any at all. Now, think of a turn based RPG. Now think of a battle animation. Action RPGS are a Charlie Foxtrot of mayhem, while Turn based shows off every single action.

Though perhaps this is part of the reason why they're going away. As the hardware gets better, they have to put more work into good looking animations. So it much easier to make a game where everyone is so focused on other factors, that they can't pay attention to how lame the fireball looks.
Image Image Image
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 12 Dec 2010, 06:51

Arius wrote:Actually...

Thank you, good sir. I made a joke about such a thing with my brother, but this actually looks pretty fun!
MattAn

Postby MattAn » 12 Dec 2010, 11:24

Jillers wrote:
Hileict wrote:

be less boring

Dear Cybren,

Dear Hileict,

Uh.. How? I'm not saying anything against anyone's game choices. In fact, I'm saying the exact opposite. And I wish that the internet actually had some common sense.

All it is is personal preference. Nothing more. Cybren doesn't like JRPGs much/at all? Fine. Then don't play them OR talk about them. They're obviously not your thing. Play something you WANT to play and talk about THAT.

As I've stated, I don't care either way. I hate the separate terms of JRPGs and WRPGs anyway.. I cringe every time I hear Jer force the issue and use those terms. Example, I've been listening to old LRRcasts and in one particular episode, the question is raised what particular games of certain genres you would introduce friends to. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII were all mentioned and I believe Graham or Paul labelled it as the "RPG" they would most likely recommend. Jer immediately bites back with "JRPG"... It really irks me. They were never separated when I was growing up and I'm only a few years younger than Graham.

When FFVII picked up GameSpy's (at the time..) RPG of the Year, it was simply that. The RPG of the Year. Not JRPG. The sub-genres didn't exist and life was much better.

EDIT: Ninja-snipe from Sieg Reyu! I'd bitch about it, but you're completely right.. So.. Carry on, sir!
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 12 Dec 2010, 12:21

Oh, all I mean was you're being openly hostile to people who like WRPGs for being openly hostile to people who like JRPGs. It's this ind of hostility that makes other people openly attack what you like.
IE: I like both RPGs but your hostile attitude in this thread makes me want to disassociate with JRPGs right now.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 12 Dec 2010, 15:43

I love jrpgs. FF4, 5, 6, 7, tactics, the breath of fire games, dragon quest 3 & 4, chrono trigger, secret of mana, hell, even secret of evermoor!

It's just ever attempt since the late 90s has been thoroughly shitty.

Sorry I must just be allergic to boring
MattAn

Postby MattAn » 12 Dec 2010, 21:57

Jillers wrote:Oh, all I mean was you're being openly hostile to people who like WRPGs for being openly hostile to people who like JRPGs. It's this ind of hostility that makes other people openly attack what you like.
IE: I like both RPGs but your hostile attitude in this thread makes me want to disassociate with JRPGs right now.

Sadly, you're incredibly mistaken. I've clearly stated that I don't care what anyone's preference is (note; I've also said I hate the sub-genres of JRPGs AND WRPGs. They're RPGs. They've always been RPGs. The term JRPG started up around The Escapist and rapidly spread filth through the internet. There's no NEED to call them different genres. They're still Role-Playing Games, no matter HOW you look at them.

Cybren wrote:I love jrpgs. FF4, 5, 6, 7, tactics, the breath of fire games, dragon quest 3 & 4, chrono trigger, secret of mana, hell, even secret of evermoor!

It's just ever attempt since the late 90s has been thoroughly shitty.

Sorry I must just be allergic to boring

That's nice. However you've given no context as to why. It's also fucking hilarious that you state all these retro RPG titles, considering the massive contradiction that people throw up about "JRPGs" needing to change.

You say all those SNES/PSX titles are quite epic and all, comparing them to today's games.. Let's see.. Who are the ones influencing and demanding new/different things in JRPGs? THE PLAYERS. It's incredibly confusing to the game designers when there is a group complaining that it's all the same and needs to get AWAY from the past... And there's ANOTHER group whinging that they want the exact same style as the SNES/PSX era.. With absolutely zero changes. Right. Here lies the complete wreck the entire industry is in.

Hence why Sieg Reyu and I are pretty much the only ones with some common sense in this thread. One of those groups needs to shut the fuck up and deal with it. Otherwise, if you don't like where that genre/series is going, forget about it. Just don't fuck it up for the everyone else who are satisfied with what THEY enjoy.

Hell, there are particular genres I despise and I don't think they deserve the popularity, but eh. That's fine. People enjoy them. I'll stick to what I like. NO PROBLEM. It's about time other people grew up as well.
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 12 Dec 2010, 22:10

Hileict wrote:
Jillers wrote:Oh, all I mean was you're being openly hostile to people who like WRPGs for being openly hostile to people who like JRPGs. It's this ind of hostility that makes other people openly attack what you like.

Sadly, you're incredibly mistaken. I've clearly stated that I don't care what anyone's preference is (note; I've also said I hate the sub-genres of JRPGs AND WRPGs. They're RPGs. They've always been RPGs. The term JRPG started up around The Escapist and rapidly spread filth through the internet. There's no NEED to call them different genres. They're still Role-Playing Games, no matter HOW you look at them.

I'm really more talking about the WAY in which you're addressing people. You're very hostile. About RPGs. Especially people who like WRPGs in this particular thread. I know what you've said, it's how you say it and how it comes across.

What you care about is the attitude of the people who play WRPGs. Well your attitude hasn't been so great either.
That's all I'm saying.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~

Return to “Video Games”