New FF Game Trailers and...um..huh?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

New FF Game Trailers and...um..huh?

Postby Smeghead » 30 Jan 2011, 03:36

So two new trailers for Final Fantasy games were released, first off: Final Fantasy Type-O
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfbeXCoBx48

Looks like FF12 at first but…huh? What is this? Why all the dark and brown colors? And blood… all this blood.. Seriusly? There is blood everywhere in a FF game?

I think the developers has spent too much time playing Dragon Age before making this game. I think the Type-O stands for the blood type of all the people they kill. Why not just call this game by a better name? How about FF-EMO?

Second up is FF Versus XIII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZvdT3QS4k

And it looks…um…wow, that cinematic looks… ..awesome…wow… I mean what could g-ha! (video at 1:13). What is that!? Did the animators go on holiday and leave the animation of that woman up to some interns? She looks like she was taken directly from a FF8 cutscene! She doesn’t seem to fit in at all. Almost like someone drew a stick figure on the Mona Lisa!

The cutscene seems more like the cutscene from a Yakuza game… well if you overlook that in the gameplay footage there are mechs, monsters and what seems more like a God of War game then a FF game.

I hereby rename this game FF-Monster Mech Yakuza….God of War. Or FFMMYGOW. It really rolls off the tongue.

Ok So I shouldn’t really criticize the games already, but I think they deserve a bit of pre-emptive criticism for the horrors that were FF13 and FF14.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Re: New FF Game Trailers and...um..huh?

Postby Darkobra » 30 Jan 2011, 05:15

Those graphics are absolutely stunning in FFvsXIII. (Going to be one big-ass box or very tiny writing on the spine.) But is it going to be a finished product or are we expecting the same quality of XIII in terms of gameplay and world exploration?

I actually noticed there that XIII vs seems to have a bit of Vincent Valentine's Dirge of Cerberus going on too with the gunner and the combat does look improved. But Final Fantasy has always been about story and exploration for me too so I hope they do something amazing to revive my love.

Type-O looks a little like a watered down version of Crisis Core. I'm not sure I'll be interested in that one.

I won't be letting the Final Fantasy fanboy out yet. XIII killed that and put a nail in the coffin for me. We'll see what the critics say. And I won't be reading reviews from the "We get rich by giving good reviews on bad games!" sites. I'll be waiting for word from the LRR forums and the overall verdict here.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 30 Jan 2011, 20:05

FFVS XIII Sorta looks like a Kingdom Hearts with all of the Disney torn out of it.
I never really minded the disney, but always thought not-disney would improve it significantly for me.
This here be my happy-face. =D
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 30 Jan 2011, 21:57

Vaughn wrote:FFVS XIII Sorta looks like a Kingdom Hearts with all of the Disney torn out of it.
I never really minded the disney, but always thought not-disney would improve it significantly for me.

Probably related to the fact that it's being made by the kingdom hearts team.

-m

I am not angry at you.
EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 31 Jan 2011, 14:55

I get it! It's Type-O because it has blood in it.

Honestly, Type-O doesn't look very interesting to me, something about the whole darker and edgier thing that I really don't get. Versus XIII looks pretty good though.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 31 Jan 2011, 16:07

Isn't it Type-0?
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 31 Jan 2011, 16:08

Gordon Fearman wrote:Isn't it Type-0?

Thank you! I was actually scrolling through and thought.. Wait, O? When did that happen? Considering there's Type-1, Type-2 & Type-3 trademarked as well.

I don't fear teh Gordon.
Last edited by MattAn on 31 Jan 2011, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 31 Jan 2011, 16:09

So what you're saying... is that it was just a typo?

Thank you. Thank you very much.

I'm here all week. At least until I get shot.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 31 Jan 2011, 16:10

ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:So what you're saying... is that it was just a typo?

Thank you. Thank you very much.

I'm here all week. At least until I get shot.

OH GOD THAT WAS BRILLIANT HAVE A COOKIE <3
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 01 Feb 2011, 09:45

Matt wrote:
Vaughn wrote:FFVS XIII Sorta looks like a Kingdom Hearts with all of the Disney torn out of it.

Probably related to the fact that it's being made by the kingdom hearts team.

-m

Good. Kindom Hearts was fun. Final Fantasy XIII not so much. If this is what they mean by future Final Fantasy games being "non-traditional" then I'm okay with it.

Not sure what to make of Type-0(Typo?). What we see of the world looks interesting, but it's hard to tell how the gameplay mechanics work. Also, I am immediately put off by the fact that I thought the character doing all the gameplay fighting was a woman, until it spoke. Par for the course, I know, but it was still really jarring for some reason.
Jack
First Video: The Joystique or Unskippable

Postby Jack » 02 Feb 2011, 16:09

Both games look interesting. I'll be taking a look at both of them closer to release to decide if I should purchase them.

What really confuses me is why they still use swords when they have guns. Machine guns, no less! Have they ever explained this in any Final Fantasy?
What are you looking at.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 02 Feb 2011, 17:43

Jack wrote:Both games look interesting. I'll be taking a look at both of them closer to release to decide if I should purchase them.

What really confuses me is why they still use swords when they have guns. Machine guns, no less! Have they ever explained this in any Final Fantasy?

Mainly it is an aesthetics thing. Swords give a very different feel to a character than guns, and makes them appear more "noble" or "honorable." Also, swords give the animators a lot more options to keep stuff interesting. Guns really can only be used a couple of ways.

So for the sake of keeping things interesting Final Fantasy, along with many, many other video games, choose to keep guns balanced out with swords for the sake of diversity.
and now; back to me.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 03 Feb 2011, 07:12

Oh, would you look at that, it is an 0 not an O

My bad. Guess i was just so caught up in the horriable pun that I missed that

Edit: yay, 1000 posts!
MaximusXIII
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MaximusXIII » 03 Feb 2011, 11:10

Jack wrote:What really confuses me is why they still use swords when they have guns. Machine guns, no less! Have they ever explained this in any Final Fantasy?

Because they are fucking awesome! I take it you haven't seen the first trailer for versusXIII which involves the main character taking down a massive bunch of machine gun wielding soldiers using all these swords... *sigh* it was sweet.
"All men dream: but not equally."
Jack
First Video: The Joystique or Unskippable

Postby Jack » 06 Feb 2011, 15:46

ANeMzero wrote:Mainly it is an aesthetics thing. Swords give a very different feel to a character than guns, and makes them appear more "noble" or "honorable." Also, swords give the animators a lot more options to keep stuff interesting. Guns really can only be used a couple of ways.

So for the sake of keeping things interesting Final Fantasy, along with many, many other video games, choose to keep guns balanced out with swords for the sake of diversity.

MaximusXIII wrote:Because they are fucking awesome! I take it you haven't seen the first trailer for versusXIII which involves the main character taking down a massive bunch of machine gun wielding soldiers using all these swords... *sigh* it was sweet.

Regardless of how cool they look and provide interesting combat, it still doesn't really make sense to choose a sword when you're in a gun fight. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I know if I was up against a group of twelve and they all were packing heat, and I had to choose between a gun or a sword to defend myself, I would choose the gun.
What are you looking at.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 06 Feb 2011, 23:40

I'm pretty sure if I was up against twelve guys with guns all by myself, the only thing I'd be choosing is my coffin.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 09 Feb 2011, 13:15

Jack wrote:Regardless of how cool they look and provide interesting combat, it still doesn't really make sense to choose a sword when you're in a gun fight. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I know if I was up against a group of twelve and they all were packing heat, and I had to choose between a gun or a sword to defend myself, I would choose the gun.

You can accept that it's a video game about bulemic teenage girls pretending to be men fighting other bulemic teenage girls pretending to be men, with magic, summoned creatures the size of an office building and airships larger than New York with no obvious means of levitation, but the whole "swords against guns" thing is where you draw the line? You should play FFVIII if you haven't already. Features all of the above, but the swords are also guns.

Darkobra wrote:I'm pretty sure if I was up against twelve guys with guns all by myself, the only thing I'd be choosing is my coffin.

Also this.

Return to “Video Games”