Terraria: It's like 2D Minecraft, seasoned with Metroid.

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Terraria: It's like 2D Minecraft, seasoned with Metroid.

Postby MowDownJoe » 24 May 2011, 19:06

You know how it goes: game gets massively popular, people rush in to copy it to make a quick buck. It happened with Mario. It happened with Doom. And now it's happening to Minecraft. But there's one Minecraft "inspired" game that's been making the rounds that caught my interest. It's called Terraria. It got released on Steam recently, and while I, sadly, never caught onto the Minecraft craze, from those who've played both, it's apparently more focused on exploration and combat than Minecraft. It's been quite rewarding to dig under my house to find ore when suddenly I find a dungeon with a giant worm that decided to attack me. And there's nothing better than shooting flaming arrows at flying eyeballs.

So, has anyone else given this game a try? I only just bought it late today and found myself engrossed with it for hours at a time.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Re: Terraria: It's like 2D Minecraft, seasoned with Metroid.

Postby GreigKM » 24 May 2011, 19:51

The devs can't take a joke, they forced a parody review off YouTube for copywrite infringement, it wasn't even a funny video, but it's the principal of it. I wouldn't care if the game was more than a 2D Minecraft, I try to avoid supporting such people.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Kyogissun
First Video: Three PS3's or one of the X ways to Y

Postby Kyogissun » 24 May 2011, 22:57

GreigKM wrote:The devs can't take a joke, they forced a parody review off YouTube for copywrite infringement, it wasn't even a funny video, but it's the principal of it. I wouldn't care if the game was more than a 2D Minecraft, I try to avoid supporting such people.

I dunno, I'd rather support the people pissed off their game is being compared to minecraft and not being given credit for what it does different, rather than support the dude that recoded the game as an Xbox Live Indie title that lacks the charm and originality that the its 'inspiration', but ALSO makes your xbox churn as loud as if it were a launch day console... Oh, and let's not forget, he's just gotten all smug and arrogant about having replicated Minecraft onto the xbox.

Either way, Minecraft is causing a few cases of 'me too!' in the gaming industry, let's just be thankful that it hasn't 'exploded' yet. From what I've seen, Terraria lacks less of a 'make the game your own experience' approach that Minecraft does and clearly wants more of a focus on the platforming. In fact, I'd say it's a nice mash up of the 2-D side scrolling shooters and the core 'mining' gameplay of minecraft, with a nice dash of general 2-D PvE combat.

Again, a liiiiittle bit more variety than FortressCraft at least.

...Which I'd like to remind people, really won't be doing anything Minecraft won't do in the future that can be improved or retooled, whereas FC seems to be a one shot and once the project is done and all 'episodes' are released, the 'creator' will be struggling to merit the 3 dollar price tag for future DLC- Oops, did I say DLC? I mean future episodes.

It's a bummer that maybe he couldn't have just considered this as a side project and discussed possibly obtaining exclusive rights to developing a proper Minecraft client/port for the XBLA/XBLIA, and instead he was pretty hellbent on cashing in on the minecraft craze.

Honestly, once I get a headset, better computer and a competent internet connection, I'll have no need to hope for some shitty clone on the consoles.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Torchlight II

I attend (almost) every FNM at Millenium Games in Henrietta.

Steam: OhYouFoal
XBL GT: Kyogissun
njsykora
First Video: The Job

Postby njsykora » 25 May 2011, 09:15

There's sprinklings of Diablo in Terraria for me, all about going deeper, finding stronger and stronger monsters and bigger and better items. Still want that laser gun.

Return to “Video Games”