Best WTF moments while playing a game (SPOILERS)

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Re: Best WTF moments while playing a game (SPOILERS)

Postby ANeMzero » 07 Jul 2011, 14:55

RobertMc123 wrote:Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood have epic WTF moments, I can't understand why some people are mad about the ending to Brotherhood, I thought it was truly brilliant from a story telling standpoint, cannot wait to see what happens next.

Perhaps from a context of overall narrative, yes, it was good.
However when you begin to factor in the characters involved it causes some ire. They took out one of the few redeeming factors for something most people really don't like, it will make people angry.
and now; back to me.
semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby semysane » 07 Jul 2011, 18:53

Caroline deleted
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 07 Jul 2011, 23:37

ANeMzero wrote:
RobertMc123 wrote:Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood have epic WTF moments, I can't understand why some people are mad about the ending to Brotherhood, I thought it was truly brilliant from a story telling standpoint, cannot wait to see what happens next.

Perhaps from a context of overall narrative, yes, it was good.
However when you begin to factor in the characters involved it causes some ire. They took out one of the few redeeming factors for something most people really don't like, it will make people angry.

It depends how to take the events of the ending, I think some people have misinterpreted what actually is overheard during the end credits, rather than the events. I cannot wait to see what happens next.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 11 Jul 2011, 15:01

I'm big shmup head; can't get enough of epilepsy inducing danmaku, really can't. When ships, bullets, the kitchen sink are really flying and things are especially hectic, my brain starts ignoring parts of the on screen activity and I can feel it happening in real time. Felt it in Touhou, Cave works and elsewhere. Ever since I first experienced that sense of a game moving into a realm where I am in partial control at best (while playing Ikaruga, since you ask) I've been a sucker for it.

How's this relevant? On reflection, I can name just two instances of a game outside the genre inducing the same sense of control loss. They are the rough half way point of System Shock 2 and the final third or so of Metal Gear Solid 3.

Not that there's other contenders of course. The last quarter odd of Metal Gear Solid 2 was a fair brain teaser for its time, as were the return to Kharak in Homeworld and Durandal's antics in Marathon 2. Plus, there's the games which made a good fist of ratchetting up both the wtf and the hsq over the whole game, such as Midwinter, Cho Aniki and the trio of Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame and Eternal Darkness, which I once thought of as a great triumvirate, so to speak, of atmospheric survival horror.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 20 Aug 2011, 22:06

Oblivion Dark Brotherhood questline, such a good twist

Return to “Video Games”