Why I will not be buying any LA Noire DLC...

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Why I will not be buying any LA Noire DLC...

Postby JackSlack » 05 Jul 2011, 01:20

...because the bosses at Team Bondi make EA look good by comparison.

Holy shit. The sampler pack here is:

o. Many employees were being paid 9 bucks an hour in Sydney, the most expensive city in Australia to live in,
o. There seemed to be an actual strategy of paying people shitty wages, demanding unpair overtime, and churning through staff.
o. The idea of, y'know, sane working conditions was actually mocked (in relation to the EA Spouse incident)
o. The boss is a dick.

Seriously, the GI Biz article is worth signing up for. This is some scary stuff. Anything that forces Brendan McNamara out of Team Bondi... even if it means Team Bondi dies... has to be good. Seriously, just... yikes.
RobertMc123

Re: Why I will not be buying any LA Noire DLC...

Postby RobertMc123 » 05 Jul 2011, 03:01

You know, I got LA Noire day 1, I played a few hours in, I got to the homicide desk, solved 2 cases and put the game away.

As time went on I realized, I actually didn't like LA Noire at all, as a game it was flawed, as a story telling dynamic it didn't work (FOR ME, FOR ME PEOPLE! Just because I don't like the game doesn't diminish it for all of you) and eventually I got to a point where I actually said "fuck that game" and swapped it at a local store for Crysis 2, which I have to say I am enjoying a lot. Now before you think to yourself "oh he's just some Gears of War, Call of Duty tard that doesn't like story driven games" I will call bullshit on it, my favourite games are story driven games, I love the Mass Effect series, completed the first game numerous times even before Mass Effect 2 came out because I wanted to see all the story arcs develop. I love playing through a narrative, seeing a story develop, hell the story of Red Dead Redemption is amazing and so well done. (okay it drags a bit in Mexico), I love the story in Assassin's Creed (well everything after the first game).
But LA Noire didn't work, you flubbed cases but they got solved anyway then you find out, "you fucked up, you put the wrong guys in jail" when the entire time I was thinking "these guys didn't do it, I know that for a fact".

But then I read the news story about the making of the game, and I went from "fuck that game" to "fuck that game and the assholes behind it".
Terminus
First Video: Unskippable ("Vanquish")

Postby Terminus » 21 Aug 2011, 11:31

I just think it's a bad game. It's pretty, but there's NOTHING underneath it.
As Yahtzee said, there is no middle finger big enough.
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 21 Aug 2011, 15:20

1. From the small amount that I played the game at a friends house, I thought it was pretty good. It's a nice shift from everything else in the market right now.

2. If work conditions are really that bad, anyone with any sense should have left so it's their fuckin' problem for putting up with it.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 21 Aug 2011, 15:28

Cureless_Poison wrote:2. If work conditions are really that bad, anyone with any sense should have left so it's their fuckin' problem for putting up with it.

They did. Frequently. Part of the process the studio used was just churning through staff as some quit and others came in.

But more to the point, just fucking no. How many video game studios do you think there are in Australia? For most of these guys, it was batter on through this or give up on their dreams. Some basic standards should be held to, and blaming the staff for it is a neat way to let the management there shirk their responsibility.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 21 Aug 2011, 15:35

However, boycotting a game is probably not the best way to show the staff that you care for them, considering you are also preventing them from getting money.

Return to “Video Games”