Star Wars: The Old Republic

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby tanatoes » 31 Jan 2012, 19:03

SWTOR is my first foray into the MMO world, and so far it has been quite fun. I've only done two heroics and one flashpoint, so I suppose I'm mostly playing it as a single player RPG with a lot of other people wandering through my line of fire, but even my wife, as a spectator, is enjoying the voice acting and the world building.

I'm half way to the level cap now and only just starting to feel like it's a grind, so it's done a good job keeping me entertained at least. And of course when it gets too monotonous I can just hop in my ship and play Starfox - um - play a space mission.

I'm hoping to own a speeder of my own by the end of tonight - maybe that will pick up the pace of trudging from quest to quest.

If anyone wants to hang out I'm finding that I'm online from about nine to midnight eastern time (GMT -5) on the Eidolon Security server. Look for Tanatoes. Of course.
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
Phelan
First Video: How to talk like a pirate

Postby Phelan » 14 Feb 2012, 22:52

I don't know if this applies to anyone else, but I'm having trouble really getting into the game for two reasons. First, hotkey controls and I don't really get along (I mostly play tactics games like Fire Emblem) and second, I am at level 30 but I feel like I've barely made a dent in the plot. It feels like I'm going to hit the level cap well before I can finish the story.
I will never lie to you; I will never trick you; you will say yes to me.

My friend and I are making a let's play. It's similar to the GPLP but not as good. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLPTheater?feature=mhee
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Feb 2012, 03:40

Don't worry. Act I (the story bit after the tutorial zone) is stretched very very far.

It also depends on your class. Some class stories feels more important than others.
Take Trooper.Act 1 is about revenge. Act 2 is about a special op. Act 3 is special op again. The problem is act 2 and 3 dissolve seamlessly into the storyline of the planet you're on so you're not aware when you are on your story. Then again, it makes more sense that you're on the planet opposed to coincidently being there at the same time as other classes of the same level.
When you finish Corellia and your class story some time past 50, that's when the RP sadly ends. There's a bit in the 4 man instances but that's repeatable so you won't care. There are some on the main storyline of Ilum but you might burn through that and not care because you'll want to do the dailies. SWTOR does dissolve into the formulaic MMO at max level.
However the Eternity Vault bosses ( a handful) do utilise platforming which you didn't have much in WoW. One boss you have to hop skip and jump across some stepping stones in lava in a time limit otherwise you'll die horribly. Another as a team you must make your decent carefully downwards landing on floating platforms. If you fall to far, death. Also if the encounter bugs and a platform doesn't exist, you're screwed.You do this twice in the encounter.
Raiding's good at 50. Everything else is Z z z z. I haven't PvPed yet. You also need to do the normal modes of instances before the heroics. I thought we were out of this dark age of attunements.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 16 Feb 2012, 21:13

Just go to 50 on my Knight. A lot of people complain about the Knight story not being very good. I can sort of see why, at least for the first half of act one. Nar Shadaa and on I though were really pretty good. Act two felt like filler; interesting and has a great bit at the end but honestly felt like a slapdash effort to connect acts one and three. Act three was quite good and ends in very (I hate this word being used like this but it's apt in this case) epic way.

Towards the end of act three, you get to meet up with people from previous acts and that's pretty cool. It's neat to see what the people you've saved have become. There's one guy you won't even realize you met until he tells you who he is, and I thought it was a pretty awesome bit. Sort of brings closure.

My biggest problem with the Jedi Knight (and Consular) is that only the last two acts have anything to do with each other. The prologue and act one are completely unrelated to each other and the following acts. They just...happen and off you go. It's a little weird. Both Smuggler and Trooper have a connection from Ord Mantel to the end of act one, and that's really how it should be for everyone.

Now I'm trying an Imperial Agent, because I've heard very good things about the story line and I wanted to try something Empire side.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Feb 2012, 07:44

Empire Inquisitor is quite good at the start. You're a slave and people hate you. It's fun. Don't play a Sith Pureblood Inquisitor because then the Universe explodes as a Sith Pureblood will never be a slave.
It's like a Gnome Priest. Oh... wait.
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 21 Feb 2012, 08:59

IA is pretty awesome. It's a bit like being James Bond if he worked for the Space Nazis. Story is really good, I think. All the twists and turns you'd expect playing as an intelligence agent. And they do that thing where it feels like there is some great big secret lurking just out of view. As a means of making me play longer it works very well.

The light side/dark side choices Empire side definitely have more subtlety to them as well. Republic side it feels as though your choice is "Comic book super hero" or "Puppy eating evil". There isn't ever a middle ground. Empire side frequently has three choices that work out to "Not evil", "Believably evil", and "Puppy eating evil". Feels like you have an actual choice that isn't a comical extreme.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 21 Feb 2012, 11:42

I'm officially hooked now. I love my bounty hunter. He is an evil bad-ass and I kick ass in PvP which is a first for me in an MMO environment. I really like the story too. I'm a fan :)
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 21 Feb 2012, 16:52

Just got this a couple days ago for my birthday. I'm playing a Sith Inquisitor/Sorceror and am actually having a lot of fun. Surprising, considering how extremely difficult it is for me to get into an MMO. I'm hopeful that I won't get bored of this and quit in a week like I normally do!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Feb 2012, 05:50

Playing lightside Empire is significantly more interesting than Darkside Republic. It's like playing the sane man in a land full of madness.
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 22 Feb 2012, 10:07

I have a friend that's playing a Lightside Sith Warrior. I find this to be highly amusing.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 22 Feb 2012, 11:04

Aeralis wrote:I have a friend that's playing a Lightside Sith Warrior. I find this to be highly amusing.

I tried this for a bit and found it to inconsistent and weird. Quest givers would be like "Oh you did something good? You shouldn't do that! Now back to doing evil!"
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Feb 2012, 11:34

The #1 not alignment assigned conversation options in Empire can be seen as 'dark side' or 'a cunt'. It makes conversations as a good character as Empire a lot more interesting than simply spamming 1 as Republic. #2 seems to be the 'goodest' options sometimes, and they're the sarcastic/witty ones.
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 22 Feb 2012, 11:45

aeric90 wrote:
Aeralis wrote:I have a friend that's playing a Lightside Sith Warrior. I find this to be highly amusing.

I tried this for a bit and found it to inconsistent and weird. Quest givers would be like "Oh you did something good? You shouldn't do that! Now back to doing evil!"

It's weird when issues like that crop up. It's obvious why things work that way from a mechanical point of view, but it can really mess up storytelling. MY IMMERSION.

Also, I love doing a bonus mission where you kill more people, and then turn it in with "I wish it hadn't come to violence." Yep, sure hated all that violence when I was stabbing 50 extra dudes in the face. Someone sort of calls you out on this early in the Knight story line, but then you can immediately play the pious guilt card and shame them.
SPACExJUMPxJOSH
First Video: loading ready rap

Postby SPACExJUMPxJOSH » 25 Mar 2012, 16:33

just got it last weekend, got a jedi sentinal a sith inquisitor and a gunslinger on the go :P must say it is very fun :P
I AM LRR! RULER OF THE PLANET OMACRON PERCEI 8!
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 28 Mar 2012, 10:34

Sentinel is a lot of fun. Spec Watchmen and you'll not only be a lot more survivable, but also get to set people ON FIRE. I don't think it's a very Jedi thing to do. I'm not sure why your enemies' anguished screams as they slowly burn to death heals you, either, but I'm not going to ask questions.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 Mar 2012, 16:36

I'm sadly not playing till next patch. Guild isn't raiding. Takes me 5000 years to load loading screens so I need worthwhile end game content to do.
I'm also in a Mass Effect 3 fallout so don't feel like playing alts.
tanatoes

Postby tanatoes » 28 Mar 2012, 16:43

I'm somewhat frustrated with SWTOR right now. I deliberately chose a less populated server when I started out because I didn't particularly want to be bothered by other people playing in the universe at the same time as I was. I've gotten my Jedi up to level 35 and suddenly I've hit a brick wall. I've done all the solo missions I can and have only Darth Angral left to take out and he's WAY too powerful for me. So I realize that I need to do some multi-player stuff to get better equipment and level up a little more... but I don't particularly want to. I was having a lot of fun right up until I reached Angral and now I'm kind of miffed that there's nothing more I can do with this character unless I want to join other people.

I started a new character to try out the smuggler plot and see how different things would be, but can't be assed to play with her much. I guess I'm just not cut out for the whole MMO thing - being as how the whole reason I got into video games in the first place is that I don't like to play with other people. Too bad too, because it's such a great looking and well produced game. if only it didn't have all these other folks playing it too and if only it didn't practically REQUIRE me to play with them.
-------
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 28 Mar 2012, 17:20

Angral is a fairly tough fight, probably the second toughest in the Knight story line. Are you Sentinel or Guardian? I can offer some advice for the former, but I haven't yet fought him as a Guardian.

What server are you on? I'm sure there's someone around that would be willing to help if you happen to be on the same server.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Apr 2012, 12:32

The Voice Actress for Femshep voices Femtrooper in SWTOR.
An Evil Herbivore
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby An Evil Herbivore » 04 Apr 2012, 17:10

I played this game for the first time during free weekend and I immediately got addicted.

Basically all I've been doing in my free time is playing this game.

My problem so far is mostly just the fact that I hate meeting strangers in the game, and I only have one friend that actually plays, so our groups have been rather limited.

I'm trying to get more of my friends into it, but with limited success. Though I suppose if anyone here has skype and is up for making a common group with us, we certainly wouldn't oppose the idea.
I have changed my name like 3 times on this forum. Guess who I am!
tanatoes

Postby tanatoes » 05 Apr 2012, 05:08

FallenMaster642 wrote:I played this game for the first time during free weekend and I immediately got addicted.

Basically all I've been doing in my free time is playing this game.

My problem so far is mostly just the fact that I hate meeting strangers in the game, and I only have one friend that actually plays, so our groups have been rather limited.

I'm trying to get more of my friends into it, but with limited success. Though I suppose if anyone here has skype and is up for making a common group with us, we certainly wouldn't oppose the idea.

This sounds exactly like the problem I've been having. We should find an equidistant server and start a new guild. After PAX is over of course.
-------
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 05 Apr 2012, 05:47

IA is really fun, I've managed to get my IA up to 50, and all I can say is that the class storyline is really good.
An Evil Herbivore

Postby An Evil Herbivore » 05 Apr 2012, 07:15

tanatoes wrote:This sounds exactly like the problem I've been having. We should find an equidistant server and start a new guild. After PAX is over of course.

Definitely. My only question is what constitutes an equidistant server in this case?

If we want to leave it open to LRR fans in general, we'd want to pick carefully.

Edit: Oh. And we'd have to work out whether we were on a PVP or PVE server. I usually just default to PVE, but it seems like something to consider.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Apr 2012, 16:03

If you want a generic European social guild you can apply at www.fallen-gaming.com. If you want a LRR guild then we aren't the ones for you sadly:<
Currently awaiting next content patch.

Only requirement is understanding that we commune over mumble.
An Evil Herbivore

Postby An Evil Herbivore » 27 May 2012, 10:53

I'm bringing this idea back up because I've gotten back into SWTOR hardcore.

If anyone is interested in starting up a group or doing some questing, gimme a call on Skype. My username is skich2.

Also, for the record, I don't have many high level characters because I am terrible at soloing in MMOs.

Return to “Video Games”